Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graffiti at Glen O The Downs

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

That's what I thought it must say when I first read it, but I've tried day after day to confirm what is says without causing a major pile up and I'm fairly sure it's boats

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It said free Marion Price 32CSM a few weeks ago but I can't figure out what the boats thing is.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 47 WiCkLaMuLlA

I have no idea what a reference to 'Burn the bonds' or 'burn the boats' could mean. Did they burn 'The Eskund'......no i don't tink so. Now the Skipper of that very boat lives or lived a couple of miles from that very wall.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Burn the bond holders? Anglo?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Isn't there some GAA team which has three boats on its crest? I think that it is a reference to defeating that team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

slowburner wrote: »
    Isn't there some GAA team which has three boats on its crest? I think that it is a reference to defeating that team.

I'd say that is closer to the truth. Looks like the flags either side are for the Kilmac GAA club.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Muas Tenek

Andy Andrews is an inspirational speaker - He talks here about Hernando Cortez who ordered his soldiers to burn their boats so that the only option was to win or die.

This is obviously an inspirational message for the Wicklow GAA ladies who won the All Ireland last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Muas Tenek wrote: »
    Andy Andrews is an inspirational speaker - He talks here about Hernando Cortez who ordered his soldiers to burn their boats so that the only option was to win or die.

This is obviously an inspirational message for the Wicklow GAA ladies who won the All Ireland last week.

It wasn't obvious to most others here :cool::confused:

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Cortez didn't want the men to have a back up plan, bacause the boats would become the backup plan if they lost the battles. So they had to fight till the death, he told them to burn the boats and they could use the Yucatans boats to get home with their fortune.

Completely obvious!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Burn the Buns, someone burnt the buns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Gmol wrote: »
    Burn the Buns, someone burnt the buns

Could have fooled me. Could be anything. I thought it said burn the boats :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Could have fooled me. Could be anything. I thought it said burn the boats :)
    It did but burn the buns was mildly amusing :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

Well done to the Wicklow Ladies on their great win.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2011/1009/wicklow_newyork.html

They did the county proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mirrorball

I remember something like "SACK MAC KEANO BACK" was up there during WC 2002. I wonder if anyone has a kept a record or can recall every slogan.....for better or for worse, the wall is a bit of a local icon!

You might well believe it is a local icon but I cannot agree - it is nothing more than vandalism and the 'messages' daubed on that wall don't reflect the views of this county or country.
    What impression is left with tourists as they see it on their way back to Rosslare?

I saw graffitti in an almost identical situation in the south of France, donkey's years ago. It's message was quite simply, "F#¢k TOURISTS" .
    I remember this more than any other physical feature of that place.

Every time I pass that old orchard wall I worry what parting message will be left with our tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

You might well believe it is a local icon but I cannot agree - it is nothing more than vandalism and the 'messages' daubed on that wall don't reflect the views of this county or country.
    What impression is left with tourists as they see it on their way back to Rosslare?

I saw graffitti in an almost identical situation in the south of France, donkey's years ago. It's message was quite simply, "F#¢k TOURISTS" .

Every time I pass that old orchard wall I worry what parting message will be left with our tourists.

The message you saw in France was offensive whereas it has never been offensive there was a also a message in support of people with autism a few years ago which I'm sure was widely supported

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mirrorball

Maybe icon is the wrong word but it's been part of the landscape for over thirty years. I did say for better or for worse......I don't like it myself but the Saipan graffiti made me smile at the time.

mirrorball wrote: »
    Maybe icon is the wrong word but it's been part of the landscape for over thirty years. I did say for better or for worse......I don't like it myself but the Saipan graffiti made me smile at the time.
    Fair enough.

Gmol wrote: »
    The message you saw in France was offensive whereas it has never been offensive there was a also a message in support of people with autism a few years ago which I'm sure was widely supported
    Agreed that the message I saw in France was offensive but what's to stop this person from putting up something equally offensive? Many of the messages put up there have been expressly republican and that may well be offensive to British tourists.
    Just because he (I presume it's a he) put up something about autism doesn't give him a right to continue painting messages about anything he feels aggrieved about.

Advertisement