Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graffiti at Glen O The Downs

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

oh no is it gone? i hope it wasnt because of this thread. i will miss you :(

it was there last saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

RosieJoe wrote:
    Noticed yesterday that there is no longer a slogan on the wall!

Wonder if they will put the joke up? :D

Probably just changing the slogan....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

will be coming down that way tomorrow, will update if they have painted a new grain of wisdom.

Noticed that they had cleaned it on sunday, for a second I thought it had fallen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I remember the "free nicky kelly" slogan but I also remember it had "in every box of cornflakes" at the end.

Now thats a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Looks like the slogans are to be a thing of the past! Still no sign of a new one.

Had heard that a Counciller requested that the slogans were removed, maybe in the last year or so!

• Advertisement

still nothing

but they have painted the old words of wisdom black.

Cant wait for the next installment of replubicinism wisdom

passed there at the weekend. Still nothing.

Does anyone know if they were made get rid of the slogans.

On another, it would be a great place for a certain austrailian electrical wholesaler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

And finally a new slogan - something about a full time fire service for north wicklow. They just about managed to fit it into the remaining lenght of wall. And not a shinner, provo, chuck-our-law wording in sight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭SlinkyToo

Down with this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

...Careful now!

Now that's a slogan with general interest.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Ironic that it used to say "SINN FEIN BUILDING THE REPUBLIC" whilst half of the wall had fallen down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

no not really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭okgirl

Regarding 'the Wall'...has any one any idea what the wall originally was? My OH has seen a copy of a 200yr old picture and there was a church roughly in this spot. Perhaps this is an old church wall or gravyard wall.

Oh no just had a thought...... Church of Ireland!!

Noticed yesterday that there is a new slogan up now!

"Vote No. 2 Lisbon Treaty".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

RosieJoe wrote: »

but who should we give our No. 1 to?

loyatemu wrote: »
    but who should we give our No. 1 to?

Maybe it should be "Vote No to Lisbon Treaty":confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 daraghm

okgirl wrote: »
    Regarding 'the Wall'...has any one any idea what the wall originally was? My OH has seen a copy of a 200yr old picture and there was a church roughly in this spot. Perhaps this is an old church wall or gravyard wall.

Oh no just had a thought...... Church of Ireland!!

The wall forms part of a parcel of land that Dublin City Council own, within the land is an old break pressure water tank that forms part of the water supply network from Vartry Waterworks in Roundwood to the reservoirs in Sandyford Industrial Estate.

RosieJoe wrote: »

Somebody has painted over this with white paint. Looks like a hasty job!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jellybaby21

Yeah it has been re-done since back to saying 'vote no to the lisbon treaty'
    didn't take long!!

Yeah it has been re-done since back to saying 'vote no to the lisbon treaty'
    didn't take long!!

They must have been up late last night. They managed to squeeze in B.TIMMINS, now included in the text.

• Advertisement

Seems the Lisbon Treaty has touched a nerve as it has been painted again

Vote No to Sinn Fein graffiti being graffitied :D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 WiCkLaMuLlA

The first slogan on that wall was "Free Nicky Kelly",that would have went up on it as far as I'm aware in 1974 and was there untill he was released sometime in the 80's.It was for when he was in for the sallins train robbery (he used be in the IRSP)

Republican Slogans on that wall have been there for over 30 years,ye pack of blow ins :p
    g'up ya bhoy ya:)

ya that wall has been a 'provo propaganda billboard' fer years an years. I actually know of a chap (from Kilcoole) and have seen him wandering up with a brush and pot o' paint to write a slogan or two, now i'm not saying he has written them all but judging from his very nationalistic stance i wouldn't be surprised if he had !!!! do ye remember the garage that used to be down under that wall ???(the remains were still there last year i tink)

twas run by Austin Byrne iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Sorry to drag up this thread but I always wondered about that wall. Anyone know who's behind it? (not literally)

Jaafa wrote: »
    Sorry to drag up this thread but I always wondered about that wall. Anyone know who's behind it? (not literally)

funny ya shud bring this up again as i was talking to a few people about this from Bray/Greystones a few weeks ago in Italy of all places !!!! and we reckon there are a number of people involved but i can't remember who they reckon it is. Oil PM ya who i know is involved as i don't tink i shud be posting their family name on 'ere !

• Registered Users Posts: 41,031 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The slogan on it at the moment is weird - something about boats - anyone know what it's about?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Is it something to do with boats on a GAA crest?

i ain't been home in Wickla fer nearly 3 years so i dunno whats on that wall now, will someone take a pic. and post it up here so we can all have a look please ?? !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Looks like "burn the boats", and a couple of painted flags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I drive that road every day and have been trying hard to read it recently and "burn the boats" is as good as I've managed! Does that make sense?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Think it reads 'Burn the Bonds'.

Advertisement