Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graffiti at Glen O The Downs

Options
  • 07-09-2007 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭

I drive to greystones weekly. Has anybody else spotted a big Sinn Fein electoral (?) slogan: it's painted on the shelf of rock near the top of the big hill (to the right as you pass through the Glen o the Downs).

What type of tit goes and defaces a really nice view like that. Doesn't like its the work of kids either :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Pat the Baker

Its been there for 30 years or so. They change the slogan every now and then depending if there is some anniversary or election coming up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Sorry, I thought it was recent. Has nobody ever thought of cleaning it up? Madness.

maybe they own the land or one of their supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Half the wall fell down last year, so give it time before the other part falls. Then we can all moan about how we miss the old slogans!

That was my favorite half of the wall too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I remember the first time I saw it being a bit shocked, but now that I pass it on a regular basis, I always look to see if they've changed it!

I guess if you don't really like it OP, you could just concentrate on the road. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,251 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ah yes, the good old AF graffiti. If that ever stops, it will look weird. Its embedded itself into the heritage of the area really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,881 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

for years it said "Free Nicky Kelly" but then he was let out so they had to think of some new slogans.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

loyatemu wrote:
    for years it said "Free Nicky Kelly" but then he was let out so they had to think of some new slogans.

i remember "free nicky kelly"

i would miss it, if it was taken away:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

have to say I am driving the N11 on a daily basis for the last 4 years. I would like to see it gone. I heard that the wall was assisted to fall .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jellybaby21

If it bothers you that much don't look at it fix your eyes on the road!!! That slogan has been there as far back as I can remember and it isn't doing any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

But it's hard to miss! thats the whole point of it being there to catch our eyes on the way south. I'm assuming the same person who paints those slogans was also responsible for erecting those white crosses in the glen of the downs earlier this year - something to do with the hunger strikes anniversary? I'm not to keen on the slogans either but the wall was a nice feature.

If it bothers you that much don't look at it fix your eyes on the road!!! That slogan has been there as far back as I can remember and it isn't doing any harm.

Have we found the culprit here? ;)

stovelid wrote:
    Have we found the culprit here? ;)
    How do you figure that?

I think, now forgive me if i am wrong didnt it once saying something like Remember 1916 - there was definately a 1916 reference , i am going back about 25 years.

Can only remember as far back as the Bobby Kinsella reference. And that was in the 80's!

RosieJoe wrote:
    Can only remember as far back as the Bobby Kinsella reference. And that was in the 80's!

it would have been about 25 years ago, around 1982, maybe more

i dont remember the bobby kinsella one

I think the Bobby Kinsella was there in the late 80's.

How do you figure that?

Making a joke. Bit of a lame one obviously. :o
    irishbird wrote:
    it would have been about 25 years ago, around 1982, maybe more

i dont remember the bobby kinsella one

I actually thought it was recent cos I'd only started driving near there this year.

Jokes!

I get jokes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jellybaby21

have to say what a terrible attempt of a joke!:confused:

Go on, kick a man when he's down. :o

I know some other jokes, honest.

Go on tell us a joke!

Go on tell us a joke!

Why were all the sweets afraid of Mr Lockets?

'Cos he was menthol.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

:cool:

stovelid wrote:
    Why were all the sweets afraid of Mr Lockets?

'Cos he was menthol.

I know, lets remove "Sinn Fein - Building the Republic" and replace it with Stovelid's joke:rolleyes:

Then we can see how many complaints we get :p

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭noker

My favorite slogan on that wall was "Sack Mack Bring Keano Back"

The first slogan on that wall was "Free Nicky Kelly",that would have went up on it as far as I'm aware in 1974 and was there untill he was released sometime in the 80's.It was for when he was in for the sallins train robbery (he used be in the IRSP)

Republican Slogans on that wall have been there for over 30 years,ye pack of blow ins :p

• Advertisement

Noticed yesterday that there is no longer a slogan on the wall!

Wonder if they will put the joke up? :D

Advertisement