Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 patchesmccarthy

Reading through these posts, and how much pressure and stress people are under, I have one thing to say....Come to Canada,

Lot less stressful

Lot more jobs

No real recession (yet fingers crossed)

No FE1 bulls**t

I left right after finishing my LLB in Ireland. Did two years of university here and never looked back. Sitting in my bar course as I type this - its practical, what you need to know for practice, not utilising some stupid obscure part of the law that:

A: you will likely never use
    B: only there to weed you out and prevent you from passing

If anyone ever wants advice - message me on how to do it - I'd be happy to help

Patches

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shaneybaby

gatorade wrote: »
    I got this in my inbox this morning from ''james o'connor''

Im in Independent colleges right now and the only thing i prefer about griffith is that they give you sample answers.

Got one of these as well. Considering how careful brian foley of griffith has been in not blatantly advertising their products it strikes me as a bit fishy...

anyways really interesting to see patches note above. Rather than keep it to secret messages and all that jazz...
    Did you do law in univaersity for the two years in college in the states? Is that the professional practice course or is there another bout after the University phase? Sounds like you're enjoying yourself, fair play :)

shaneybaby wrote: »
    Got one of these as well. Considering how careful brian foley of griffith has been in not blatantly advertising their products it strikes me as a bit fishy...

anyways really interesting to see patches note above. Rather than keep it to secret messages and all that jazz...
    Did you do law in university for the two years in college in the states? Is that the professional practice course or is there another bout after the University phase? Sounds like you're enjoying yourself, fair play :)

There are a few different routes (prior to professional training) for us coming out of Ireland with a Law degree under our belt

The first route is through what is known as the accreditation process through
    http://www.flsc.ca/en/foreignLawyers/foreignLawyers.asp
    I would not advise that, its like a way more intensive version of the FE1s
    and:

1....you do not come out with a Canadian Degree with tangible marks etc, only a cert saying you are "qualified to practice"

2....you have to take some pretty tough exams, such as tax, which are not compulsory in law school, most people fail a number, resulting in that individual having to actually go to a university and take the course there....and so the process ends up becoming convoluted

the second route, the one I choose, was by finding a university which takes a category of student known as "advanced standing" students - which means you can use your previous degree to skip past 1st year, use your courses that you have already taken which are compulsory here (aside from constitutional obviously) and then take whatever subjects you have not taken which are compulsory in whatever school accepts you (remember a lawyer here is both a solicitor and a barrister so you may have geared your choices in school towards either solicitor orientated subjects, or more barrister orientated subjects) so I had to take subjects like commercial law, evidence, civil procedure, administrative law, conflicts.

The big benefits with the route I chose are:

1....you actually come out with a degree
    2....you are in the school and can utilise their processes for law firm hiring (which are organised, at the same time every year, usually at the school - so there will be a mass interview session over a weekend)

As for after school, you need to do 12 months articling (apprenticeship), a bar course & exams during this period (each province is different in how this is done) and then bam, you are called to the bar.

I started the process in September 2007 (first day of classes in university) and will be called to the bar here in February - so the whole process, school and apprenticeship, took about 2.5 years in total.

Plus....lots of jobs here...95% hire rate if not more

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭legal eagle 1

There are a few different routes (prior to professional training) for us coming out of Ireland with a Law degree under our belt

The first route is through what is known as the accreditation process through
    http://www.flsc.ca/en/foreignLawyers/foreignLawyers.asp
    I would not advise that, its like a way more intensive version of the FE1s
    and:

1....you do not come out with a Canadian Degree with tangible marks etc, only a cert saying you are "qualified to practice"

2....you have to take some pretty tough exams, such as tax, which are not compulsory in law school, most people fail a number, resulting in that individual having to actually go to a university and take the course there....and so the process ends up becoming convoluted

the second route, the one I choose, was by finding a university which takes a category of student known as "advanced standing" students - which means you can use your previous degree to skip past 1st year, use your courses that you have already taken which are compulsory here (aside from constitutional obviously) and then take whatever subjects you have not taken which are compulsory in whatever school accepts you (remember a lawyer here is both a solicitor and a barrister so you may have geared your choices in school towards either solicitor orientated subjects, or more barrister orientated subjects) so I had to take subjects like commercial law, evidence, civil procedure, administrative law, conflicts.

The big benefits with the route I chose are:

1....you actually come out with a degree
    2....you are in the school and can utilise their processes for law firm hiring (which are organised, at the same time every year, usually at the school - so there will be a mass interview session over a weekend)

As for after school, you need to do 12 months articling (apprenticeship), a bar course & exams during this period (each province is different in how this is done) and then bam, you are called to the bar.

I started the process in September 2007 (first day of classes in university) and will be called to the bar here in February - so the whole process, school and apprenticeship, took about 2.5 years in total.

Plus....lots of jobs here...95% hire rate if not more

Sounds really interesting, do you mind me asking is this an expensive route to take? as regards college fees etc.
    Also did you require a visa to study in Canada and will you require a further one to enable you to work there once you are called to the bar??

Sounds really interesting, do you mind me asking is this an expensive route to take? as regards college fees etc.
    Also did you require a visa to study in Canada and will you require a further one to enable you to work there once you are called to the bar??

not at all..

it depends completely on where you go to University, some are much cheaper (and trust me dollar value does not equate to quality, although going to certain universities may be good strategically depending on where you ultimately want to work)

for me, it cost $30,000 for the two years (as opposed to what it cost my canadian classmates at $20,000) - so about 20,000 euro. (that is purely fees, no living costs)

after that there is no further cost - your firm pays for your bar course fees (all firms pay this).

As for immigration - that is a whole pandoras box - but the short answer is get a student visa and while you have that apply for your permanent residency - which basically makes you a citizen aside from being able to run for office

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

gatorade wrote: »
    Im in Independent colleges right now and the only thing i prefer about griffith is that they give you sample answers.

So does Independent. I got them, anyway.

As for the "James O'Connor" email, Griffith must be pretty desperate to be stooping to that. Do they actually think they're fooling anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Was wondering what you the general consensus is on the best subjects to pop your cherry on? Am doing a diploma at the moment in DIT and my lecturers have advised me that I wont have land/company/EU done in time so that leaves me with:

Contract/Criminal/Constitutional: Find all of these handy enough so figure they are my best bet, leaving:

Equity: I find quite easy but my lecturer said it is best to do this in the same sitting as land as their is quite the overlap, but others have said it overlaps with contract more? :confused:

or

Torts: I think I find this one of the easiest subjects to learn, but have heard it is one of the hardest to take an exam on, so maybe leave this for after the summer?

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

shaneybaby wrote: »

I'm beyond outraged...what does this make me look like? Consider this rubbish right now. My name is being used? Spam is spam and should be treated accordingly.

Could anyone forward me in pm the email complete with full headers (i.e. all the technical bits at the top?). Please do it in pm, because there may be issued with displaying an IP address in public etc.

And please, as a favour to me and nothing else, to anyone who posted the email, can you delete its contents or at least the content with my name in it? It's beyond embarassing. You don't have to, but I didn't send this nor ask anyone to send it and that's all I know, but jesus...to see that at 6 a.m. today...been thinking of little else since. Discuss it as spam all you want, but please just don't post the bit with my name in it...purely a favour to me.

Regards

Brian

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    So does Independent. I got them, anyway.

As for the "James O'Connor" email, Griffith must be pretty desperate to be stooping to that. Do they actually think they're fooling anybody?

It looks beyond stupid to me and incapable of fooling a gnat.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shaneybaby

The first route.................. if not more

Thanks for taking the time patches, sound man!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Brian I think you should pm the moderator for this forum and ask them to remove your name from the post. The user who posted it here mightn't log on all that often and the mod would edit it straight away.

Agreed it's really strange spam, even stranger that they mention only 1 name, both colleges would have 8 lecturers each (1 per subject).

sunnyside wrote: »
    Agreed it's really strange spam, even stranger that they mention only 1 name, both colleges would have 8 lecturers each (1 per subject).

Just think how I feel about it...people angry at email and with only name to pick out to be angry at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭gatorade

HI Brian the email address that it came from was

cleardot.gifoconnor.james.4@gmail.com

I also deleted the original post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

It sounds like it was sent by someone who has an issue with one of the colleges and is trying to send students to the other one for that reason.
    Surely anybody smart enough to be doing FE1's wouldn't fall for it anyway. Sure there is competition for students between the 2 colleges but I'm sure it's fair to say that both colleges have excellent lecturers. People will choose 1 over the other for any number of reasons, price, location, lecture times. I expect there are enough FE1 students around to keep both colleges busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭legallad

+1 this shouldnt even be an issue. I just feel sorry for Brian because being affiliated with one of the colleges has meant his name is being incorporated into posts giving out about the emails. Im sure its just some kind of spam and should be treated as such......ie the delete button!

legallad wrote: »
    +1 this shouldnt even be an issue. I just feel sorry for Brian because being affiliated with one of the colleges has meant his name is being incorporated into posts giving out about the emails. Im sure its just some kind of spam and should be treated as such......ie the delete button!

I suppose there are worse things in the world - Newcastle renaming their stadium "sportsdirect.com@StJames'ParkStadium" for one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭legallad

I suppose there are worse things in the world - Newcastle renaming their stadium "sportsdirect.com@StJames'ParkStadium" for one...

Now this is something that truly annoys me......another not so clever plan by fat mike ashely!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Wow its amazing how quickly I forget Things, did the FE1's this time and did Tort and remember referring to the Date of commencement, or at least directly to the new Defamation Act in the exam, I recall finding a link to the Stat instrument that refers to that act coming into effect , somewhere in this thread. But alas, now I can't recall either the SI the date of Commencment or find the post, can anyone help?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 radioface

Any news on when the FE1 timetable will be out?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

I checked with the law society recently, and a timetable will be available in early December. Provisionally, I was told that the Spring Fe1s will be on from March 18-29 2010. So quite a tight schedule again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Joanne337

Fr.Frost wrote: »
    All 8 subjects Independent Manuals for sale!!!!!
    Perfect condition
    50 euro each or 4 for 175.
    Dublin based sellar.

Do you still have these manuals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Rocker

Does anyone know when the results are out for the March/April FE1 exams? I tried ringing the Law Society, but couldn't get through to anyone who could tell me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Rocker wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the results are out for the March/April FE1 exams? I tried ringing the Law Society, but couldn't get through to anyone who could tell me.

Generally the first few week of June AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Rocker

Jev/N wrote: »
    Generally the first few week of June AFAIK

Sorry my mistake. I meant the ones at the start of October.

Rocker wrote: »
    Sorry my mistake. I meant the ones at the start of October.

I was thinking alright! AFAIK it's supposed to be the week beginning 30th November

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ruby83

Hi,
    Looking for Contract manual if anyone has one!! Please PM me.

Ruby

• Registered Users Posts: 30 darkangel1986

hi is anyone willing to swap eu and property for company and contract independent manuals?

I will (hopefully) have 4 manuals for sale within the next few weeks, depending on results.

They are contract, equity, company and property :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Heineken pants

Is anybody sure about the date of the results for the oct sitting? I think its usually around the date that griffith start back...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭pandas

I have Tort and EU from Oct 2008 sitting for sale if anyone needs them.

no idea when the results are due!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement