Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 kd28

shaneybaby wrote: »
    i'm finished my fe1s brian so i couldn't care less who you promote, a little selfish maybe. in fairness i can't remember one post of yours going on about gcd or ind so far play cause i'm sure the temptation is there. post away, i'm sure most people here enjoy the words of the more experienced lawyers as i do. if people aren't intelligent enough to shift between any promo guff from the articulate mussings then they probably should't be doing fe1's anyway.
    Dante09 wrote: »
    Heya, my limited knowledge of the UK system is as follows:

1) If you dont have a law degree, you need to do the General Diploma in Law, which is a one year full - time course available in many institutions.
    2) If you have an irish law degree, without certain subjects such as English Land Law and Admin law, you have to do the english GDL (i think there may be examptions for this though......and i dont think you'll have to do the GDL full course, just do the required subjects part - time)
    3) Then, everyone has to do the LPC (legal practice course)-their equivalent of PPC1 and PPC2---its full time and is a year long afaik (think it can be done part time too)---there are no entrance exams for the LPC (no FE1 equivalent in the UK)
    4) Then you do the TC, i think its 2 years straight over-there

Prospects for finding a TC over there are not great at the moment but are certainly better than here.

I stand to be corrected on any of the above.

Hope this helps in some way and hope company went well for ya!

Thanks for comment and likewise re Company Law - think it went well, troubles go on however , cant wait for results so i can really find out where I am going and get an answer as to whether or not I'm staying here,

We have new difficulties however those of us maybe working in a firm for low pay on the promise of a traineeship- the problem of those who are sending in CV's and offering to work for free starting today for a traineeship, I am reporting any CV's coming into my firm so offering to The Law Society - with the support of the partners of this firm- they agree that even in these difficult times its most unfair that people would do such a thing, its not good for the profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭legal eagle 1

I am reporting any CV's coming into my firm so offering to The Law Society - with the support of the partners of this firm- they agree that even in these difficult times its most unfair that people would do such a thing, its not good for the profession.
    Sorry now but, am i taking you up right.......you are going to report any person who sends your firm a CV offering to work for free in the hope of securing a training contract??

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Chilliflake

Hi all,

Just did four FE1s for the first time. Have wanted to do them for years but hadn't the opportunity until now and could only finalise the decision to do them in late August. Crammed for 5 weeks and attempted Tort, Contract, Criminal and Company as they were the only ones familiar to me from my B&L degree that I finished a couple of years ago. Hadn't a clue to be honest due to the study time constraints and lack of professional help (ie no FE1 course done). Borrowed the four manuals from a trainee. Anyway, I had to walk from company because tort took over my life (forgot how massive the subject is) and therefore I only got half way through the company manual due to the time pressure. Was raging as the company paper was quite decent and if I'd had another few days I'm sure I would have passed it. I made a semi-decent attempt at tort, did ok in criminal as well I think, but made a haims of contract as was so physically and mentally exhausted on the morning of contract I nearly couldn't get up to go to to the exam and could barely read the paper. Did a miserable paper as a consequence and definitely won't pass which means that I will have to re-sit all four in April. The only silver lining is that at least I now have an idea of the time pressures in the exams and how the questions are presented.

Well, the point of my post is to ask whether or not you think I should do the FE1 course in all eight subjects starting next week or should I just do the course in the four I didn't sit and then attempt all eight in April, with a re-hashing of the notes on the first 4 again? The reason I'm asking is also because I am 37 and am wondering whether in fact I should even be bothering with them at all at my age... My optimistic plan was to pass three this time round and then do the course in the other five and sit (and pass!) them in April. Then start Blackhall next Sept (I have the offer of a traineeship via my old boss). That all went out the window with the disaster of the first four so I have to do all eight in April given the ridiculous situation where the Sept/Oct FE1 sitting is a couple of weeks after Blackhall starts so one has to wait another 12 months to start there even if you only have one or two exams to sit in the Sept/Oct sitting. If I don't get all eight in April, I'll be 39 starting Blackhall in 2011.. The oldest swinger in town. But I'm desperate to change career and this is what I have wanted to do since I was in school. Plus, I still have another 28 years to work and I can't bear to continue in my current job for the rest of my days..!

Do any of you think I should just leave it or go for broke in April with all 8? Given the severe stress, time, money and work involved in studying for four (never mind all eight), my age and the lack of job opportunities at the moment....am I mad to be considering it?? Has there ever been an instance of an old fogie doing the PPC1??

I need to decide before the weekend as the courses start on 2nd Nov again. The stress even thinking about the study.. And the thought of having to re-do all the tort, contract, criminal and contract material again makes me feel ill ! But I'm willing to do it if I thought that it would be worth the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Equity and Property should go together, theres some overlap - although not as much as some people say.

There's more overlap between Equity and Contract. I would do these two together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 C.Duffy

Thanks Brian... :)
    Lets just hope I can get my hands on a set..! :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 kd28

yes, well of course anyone working for free in the hope of being considered of course they are free to do that however , there are individuals who are offering that from now until next September, offering to pay their own fee's at that stage and work for nothing while on PPC , this is what we are reporting to The Law Society,
    Sorry now but, am i taking you up right.......you are going to report any person who sends your firm a CV offering to work for free in the hope of securing a training contract??

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

Hey Chilliflake,

I am 37 too [and I know of at least one other person who is the same age as us] , so you won't be the oldest person in Blackhall in 2011:D I share your concerns re age, but nothing ventured nothing gained. Well done on getting to do the 4 papers on the 1st attempt. I bottled it so only sat 1 out of the 4 as I had only focused on 3 subjects due to lack of time:( Company wasn't a bad paper mind you. I would think it would be best to focus on resitting the four you took in October. I think doing all 8 [well for me anyway] would be a tall order, especially if you are working [I work full time].

Good luck with it anyway Chilliflake.

Hi all,

Just did four FE1s for the first time. Have wanted to do them for years but hadn't the opportunity until now and could only finalise the decision to do them in late August. Crammed for 5 weeks and attempted Tort, Contract, Criminal and Company as they were the only ones familiar to me from my B&L degree that I finished a couple of years ago. Hadn't a clue to be honest due to the study time constraints and lack of professional help (ie no FE1 course done). Borrowed the four manuals from a trainee. Anyway, I had to walk from company because tort took over my life (forgot how massive the subject is) and therefore I only got half way through the company manual due to the time pressure. Was raging as the company paper was quite decent and if I'd had another few days I'm sure I would have passed it. I made a semi-decent attempt at tort, did ok in criminal as well I think, but made a haims of contract as was so physically and mentally exhausted on the morning of contract I nearly couldn't get up to go to to the exam and could barely read the paper. Did a miserable paper as a consequence and definitely won't pass which means that I will have to re-sit all four in April. The only silver lining is that at least I now have an idea of the time pressures in the exams and how the questions are presented.

Well, the point of my post is to ask whether or not you think I should do the FE1 course in all eight subjects starting next week or should I just do the course in the four I didn't sit and then attempt all eight in April, with a re-hashing of the notes on the first 4 again? The reason I'm asking is also because I am 37 and am wondering whether in fact I should even be bothering with them at all at my age... My optimistic plan was to pass three this time round and then do the course in the other five and sit (and pass!) them in April. Then start Blackhall next Sept (I have the offer of a traineeship via my old boss). That all went out the window with the disaster of the first four so I have to do all eight in April given the ridiculous situation where the Sept/Oct FE1 sitting is a couple of weeks after Blackhall starts so one has to wait another 12 months to start there even if you only have one or two exams to sit in the Sept/Oct sitting. If I don't get all eight in April, I'll be 39 starting Blackhall in 2011.. The oldest swinger in town. But I'm desperate to change career and this is what I have wanted to do since I was in school. Plus, I still have another 28 years to work and I can't bear to continue in my current job for the rest of my days..!

Do any of you think I should just leave it or go for broke in April with all 8? Given the severe stress, time, money and work involved in studying for four (never mind all eight), my age and the lack of job opportunities at the moment....am I mad to be considering it?? Has there ever been an instance of an old fogie doing the PPC1??

I need to decide before the weekend as the courses start on 2nd Nov again. The stress even thinking about the study.. And the thought of having to re-do all the tort, contract, criminal and contract material again makes me feel ill ! But I'm willing to do it if I thought that it would be worth the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ruby83

A couple of FE1 related questions I would love to get direct answers on:
    1) I don't intend doing any preparatory course (too expensive) and plan to get the manuals from last semester and study at home using just the manuals.Is it possible to pass using just the preparatory manuals (i.e. no outside reading etc)?
    2) Have other people stayed working full time in the run up to the exams? I'll have no choice in this but plan to start studying in November for the Spring exams while working 9-5:30. Anyone experience of doing this?

I'm planning on sitting 4 exams in the Spring (contract, criminal, constitutional and tort).

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

1. Yes it is certainly possible to pass them with just the materials, you won't be winning any wards but there is more than enough in them to do well. Just be careful with things being out of date if you get old ones particularly in land law.

2.As for the wroking thing, i cant really comment as didnt work myself when doing them. What i will say is that, I didnt really start studying until January for the March sitting and did fine. And even then it was probably mid February brfore I was doing 8 hour days. So get started early and the lack of being able to study all day in the weeks beforehand should be compensated for.

Finallt, while undoubtley they are very hard exams don't be intimidated by them they are certainly doable. I'd hazard what fails most people is gambling as to what to cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Aprilsunshine

Hi Chilliflake

If you're up for doing all 8 you should definitely go for it. It's a lot of hard work but if you commit yourself to 6 months of hellish study and you do one of the courses it is very doable Alsoit is entirely possible that you could pass the ones you just sat. I know plenty of people who were convinced they had failed but managed to scrape some 50s in the end.

As regards the PPC course you most certainly won't be the oldest person there. A lot of people decide to change careers and head into Blackhall. If you've already got an offer of a traineeship you're more than halfway there. You've already started studying and seen what the exams are like so it would be a shame if you gave up now - and you might end up regretting it if you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭legal eagle 1

kd28 wrote: »
    yes, well of course anyone working for free in the hope of being considered of course they are free to do that however , there are individuals who are offering that from now until next September, offering to pay their own fee's at that stage and work for nothing while on PPC , this is what we are reporting to The Law Society,
    Have you received many of these type applications? and have you reported any so far to the Law Society? I'd just be interested to know how bothered they would be about such activity going on and what exactly they would do with the name of a reported person!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

Ruby83 wrote: »
    A couple of FE1 related questions I would love to get direct answers on:
    1) I don't intend doing any preparatory course (too expensive) and plan to get the manuals from last semester and study at home using just the manuals.Is it possible to pass using just the preparatory manuals (i.e. no outside reading etc)?
    2) Have other people stayed working full time in the run up to the exams? I'll have no choice in this but plan to start studying in November for the Spring exams while working 9-5:30. Anyone experience of doing this?

I'm planning on sitting 4 exams in the Spring (contract, criminal, constitutional and tort).

It's very possible. I did no prep courses, worked full time and passed 6/7 when i did them at first. Just get the manuals, try and do a bit every night and keep up to date with the law by perhaps subscribing to a law database like Westlaw...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 littlebubble

C.Duffy wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,
    Does anyone know of anyone who would be willing to sell copies of recent fe1 manuals from Griffith? I'm sitting my first four next April.... Tort, EU, Equity and Property..
    Any help or advice would be much appreciated :):)

hey, I actually have Griffith Criminal & Company manuals & exam papers from the June - Sept 2009 course, they have no marks at all on them, immaculate & brand new! If anyone is interested in purchasing them I'll sell them on no problem. not too fussy about the price as long as it's reasonable!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭enry

Hi all,

I'm old but not as old as you, thank god. however 10% of those doing the ppc-1 are over 30 yrs old and alot of them look over 50 so i would not worry about the age. the second you have passed it will not matter a fcuk what age you are. o and as i'm sure you know the years go quicker as you get older.

ok do eight fe-1s but do a course and start studying now.

C.Duffy wrote: »
    Thanks Brian... :)
    Lets just hope I can get my hands on a set..! :/

Hey Duffy,

I have Constiutional, Contract, Equity & Tort of the Griffith Course but they're dated 2007!! however there's not a whole lot of difference between then & now but you may want to try getting your hands on more recent manuals! if not get back to me & we'll do a deal! :D

Ha! I'm sure you'll find that a cv preparation course is being held elsewhere where you may already be a student, sunnyside.

I'm sorry if me being on this board has created some sort of idea that there needs to be competition for peoples attention on here. I really only tried to help people on a personal basis. Sorry if my contributions have created this...best for me to stay away I think and leave the boards alone if the net result will be "Indep v GCD" kinda stuff. Hope I did help those who needed it, but I'll steer away from future use on here...

Regards

Brian

GCD

Hey Brian, I agree with the other guys here that you should stay on! I had you for Constitutional in Griffith last year & I found your advice on the exams (as with constitutional law itself) fantasic! keep up the good work here as your contributions would be missed :)

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    There's more overlap between Equity and Contract. I would do these two together.

I agree :) although I havn't sat Property yet but I did contract & Equity in my first sitting last year & found they overlapped to a certain extent alright :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭thecoolfreak

So, is the general consensus that the Griffith/Independent manuals are enough to pass? Say for example Constitutional, is there a need to revert to Casey or will the manuals do?

So, is the general consensus that the Griffith/Independent manuals are enough to pass? Say for example Constitutional, is there a need to revert to Casey or will the manuals do?

It depends on the person! I sat Constitutional first time last year and passed it with just studying the Griffith Manual and whatever extra notes our lecturer gave us at the time, but it was mainly the manual I concentrated on! I didn't go near any additional text books likey Casey or even the nutshells! hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 galwaybetty

I have found that the problem is not getting enough material its being able to condense it all down to something you can memorise, regurgitate, and apply on the day. If you can remember everything in the manual you are set! Its learning it all off that is the tricky part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

Hi,

Just curious - has anyone here done all eight and passed them first time? I certainly remember one person from my undergrad class did it, but I usually experience people taking them on (usually without a law background) and then seeking to defer a few over.

I'd assume its not too difficult in principle, but its the time one gives to attending classes that seems to prevent it. I'd nearly assume if you're the kind who feels they can do all 8, you'd probably be better without giving up time every evening to attend/watch a lecture. Ironically, however, that person (for me) would be the first class hons law graduate, and like I say, most "8 attempters" tend to be from other backgrounds.

So...any success stories on "all-8" you know of?

B

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Aprilsunshine

Hi,

Just curious - has anyone here done all eight and passed them first time? I certainly remember one person from my undergrad class did it, but I usually experience people taking them on (usually without a law background) and then seeking to defer a few over.

I'd assume its not too difficult in principle, but its the time one gives to attending classes that seems to prevent it. I'd nearly assume if you're the kind who feels they can do all 8, you'd probably be better without giving up time every evening to attend/watch a lecture. Ironically, however, that person (for me) would be the first class hons law graduate, and like I say, most "8 attempters" tend to be from other backgrounds.

So...any success stories on "all-8" you know of?

B

I did. It was unpleasant but worth it in the end. Of my undergrad class 7 of us did it and 6 of us got them. The person who missed out on all 8 failed only one paper.

As I said it's do-able but unpleasant.

I've met people in work and in Blackhall who also did it so it is quite common.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I did. It was unpleasant but worth it in the end. Of my undergrad class 7 of us did it and 6 of us got them. The person who missed out on all 8 failed only one paper.

As I said it's do-able but unpleasant.

I've met people in work and in Blackhall who also did it so it is quite common.

Different story these days - not impossible but much harder. Before the change in timetabling you had a min. of 1 day free in between exams, even if you did all 8. This time, if you did 4 or 5 even, you could have had a 3 day period of exams and no break.

I did 4 and had 2 in a row which wasn't too bad. However, if you're up from 5 or 6 am in the morning it's very hard to plan the rest of your day after the exam; you come home around 1pm wrecked but faced with revision for the next day. It's very hard to take a nap without screwing up your sleeping pattern so with 5 exams in 5 days, I can imagine it would be very tough.

As I said already, it's not impossible.. I know a few people from my undergrad that sat 8 in the last sitting, however the vast majority took 4 or 5.

Jev/N wrote: »
    Different story these days - not impossible but much harder. Before the change in timetabling you had a min. of 1 day free in between exams, even if you did all 8. This time, if you did 4 or 5 even, you could have had a 3 day period of exams and no break.

I did 4 and had 2 in a row which wasn't too bad. However, if you're up from 5 or 6 am in the morning it's very hard to plan the rest of your day after the exam; you come home around 1pm wrecked but faced with revision for the next day. It's very hard to take a nap without screwing up your sleeping pattern so with 5 exams in 5 days, I can imagine it would be very tough.

As I said already, it's not impossible.. I know a few people from my undergrad that sat 8 in the last sitting, however the vast majority took 4 or 5.

Thanks...and all law graduates without taking the prep.courses? I'm only asking re the prep.courses since I'm starting to think if someone needs to attend the lectures to get the subjects into their head, it just doesn't always leave them pleasant time to study all 8 in addition to the ongoing evening committment.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

I believe the Inns entrance exam is 5/5 in one week? Endurance test. Clearly though less examinations than Blackhall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Thanks...and all law graduates without taking the prep.courses? I'm only asking re the prep.courses since I'm starting to think if someone needs to attend the lectures to get the subjects into their head, it just doesn't always leave them pleasant time to study all 8 in addition to the ongoing evening committment.

Yep, all law grads. However, anyone I know who took 8 exams didn't attend any prep courses AFAIK. Most of those who took prep courses ended up taking/studying for a max. of 5 exams in the end.

It is definitely a huge commitment to take on prep courses in 8 subjects as you have a massive amount of catching up to do if you miss even one week!

Tom Young wrote: »
    I believe the Inns entrance exam is 5/5 in one week? Endurance test. Clearly though less examinations than Blackhall.

Granted, but the syllabi are much shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 galwaybetty

Hope im not going off topic here, but is anyone thinking about putting aside the fe1s for a year or two and coming back to it?

I graduated in 2007 with my BCL, and didnt know what i was getting myself into.
    I have passed five so far, but 5 exams in two years feels like very slow progress. Quite a few of my classmates got them in two or three sittings so im wondering if Im the only one taking this long to get all 8.

It was suggested to me recently to start compiling a list of alternative routes or careers with my law degree and come back to these exams later on. This is what ive always wanted to do, but I must admit to being frustrated with my lack of progress.

Is anyone else in this position?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭legallad

Hi i was wondering whether anyone could tell which manuals (independent or griffith) are the best for the following: Company, Tort and EU. I have access to both manuals for each so just wondering is there any significant difference.

Also re the 6 month rule, if there are any changes brought about by the lisbon treaty will they be applicable to the EU exam?

Thanks

• Advertisement

legallad wrote: »
    Also re the 6 month rule, if there are any changes brought about by the lisbon treaty will they be applicable to the EU exam?

Thanks

Don't rely on the existence of whatever this 6 month rule is supposed to be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement