Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Get Carter

Hello can someone tell me which defences came up in criminal the last two sittings. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Getting a little bit ahead myself here now (given I have more to do next week) but my head is elsewhere (retail therapy) so wondering if people here might have a view on this.

Criminal Law. Will be aiming for it in October. Understand that it's a short course (albeit one that needs comprehensive coverage because he can ask everything?) but planning to invest in a textbook for it.

1) Where do undergrad textbooks go to die in Dublin? Bookshops on/off campus?

2) Any recommendations on a book? The new Campbell, Kilcommins, O'Sullivan one any good?

Similar story for constitutional actually.

(and yeah, I'll be using manuals mostly)

Any and all thoughts appreciated!

Not that you need a textbook to ace an Fe-1 but get readers' access to a university library or else second hand bookshops on campus or online!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Happychicky7

EU
    Im leaving out competition law...is that crazy? Dont have time @ this stage, aiming for minimal coverage, freedoms, prelim ref, institutions..anyone have a recent enough EU grid? Are qs very mixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭KoukiKeith

EU
    Im leaving out competition law...is that crazy? Dont have time @ this stage, aiming for minimal coverage, freedoms, prelim ref, institutions..anyone have a recent enough EU grid? Are qs very mixed?

I have a grid. PM me an email address & I'll send it when I'm at my laptop.

You definately need to cover more than just the freedoms, prelim ref & institutions ... ! The only mixed Q is the freedoms really. Some Qs may have two topics but will be an either/or situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭doing

Do you think it's possible to leave out institutions for EU? They seem to be mostly single topic questions so as long as you have a good understanding of how they do do business would learning the history really be necessary if you cover everything else?

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Duress/Nescessity;
    Mistake;
    Provocation;
    Self-Defence/NOAPA 18 and CL (D&TD) Act, 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dobs22

Hey wondering if anyone can help, i'm going over the exam reports in equity and looking at tracing. Its the same question that comes up which seems ok but the examiner keeps saying that the good answers considered whether there was a lien arising as per Millett in Foskett v. McKeown. How exactly would you consider it in the question that always comes up about Eileen the client?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

Would i be covered for EU doing:
    General Principles
    Sources of EU Law
    Institutions
    Freedoms, except capital
    citizenship
    judicial review
    competition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Gibbonw2

Could someone tell me whether the 'fundamental rights' question on eu in oct 12 was the same as april 09 or different? Havent got paper on hand but have detailed grid which kind of indicates it is. ALSO @ FRUSTRATEDTC, try and cover direct effect directives and state aid if you can to really cover yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭KoukiKeith

Would i be covered for EU doing:
    General Principles
    Sources of EU Law
    Institutions
    Freedoms, except capital
    citizenship
    judicial review
    competition

What you've covered there essentially amounts to 5 Qs. You've no scope for error. I'd throw in Direct Effect & Preliminary Ref procedure if you can manage it time wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sorchauna

Dobs22 wrote: »
    Hey wondering if anyone can help, i'm going over the exam reports in equity and looking at tracing. Its the same question that comes up which seems ok but the examiner keeps saying that the good answers considered whether there was a lien arising as per Millett in Foskett v. McKeown. How exactly would you consider it in the question that always comes up about Eileen the client?

Foskett v McKeown, HOL held that the beneficiaries could trace the money in proportion to the premiums which were paid out of the beneficiaries trust monies.They were entitled to a property right once the fourth payment was made out of the trust. Lord Millet emphasised that a beneficiary, under the rules of equitable tracing, can either claim a proportionate share of the asset, with which the beneficiary’s money was used to purchase or to enforce a lien on the asset.Therefore Eileen will be entitled to a proportion of the share of an asset, which was purchased, with her money.

You can just mention the fact of the lien but I doubt you'd need more than that.

Why cant i find reg 1612/68 in blackstones? Is it now directive 2000/78? (eu)

KoukiKeith wrote: »
    What you've covered there essentially amounts to 5 Qs. You've no scope for error. I'd throw in Direct Effect & Preliminary Ref procedure if you can manage it time wise.

Thanks, yes I'm doing them too, soo much to learn aggh! Anyone else not like his last paper even though 70% passed?
    Re fundamental rights, it was asked along with non-discrimination and legitimate expectations on their case law.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭UberStressed

sorchauna wrote: »

Foskett v McKeown, HOL held that the beneficiaries could trace the money in proportion to the premiums which were paid out of the beneficiaries trust monies.They were entitled to a property right once the fourth payment was made out of the trust. Lord Millet emphasised that a beneficiary, under the rules of equitable tracing, can either claim a proportionate share of the asset, with which the beneficiary’s money was used to purchase or to enforce a lien on the asset.Therefore Eileen will be entitled to a proportion of the share of an asset, which was purchased, with her money.

You can just mention the fact of the lien but I doubt you'd need more than that.

Does anyone have a sample answer for a tracing question? My notes are minimal at best :/ the city colleges night before notes mention tracing as one of the 8 to know but doesn't include any notes in it.. Any help really appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dobs22

sorchauna wrote: »

Thanks! It threw me a bit back answering the question, I wasn't sure how much detail to go into about the lien and there was no mention of it in the independent manuals..... Thanks again :)

Is it too late to get the contract law legislation? And where would i get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Amre17

doing wrote: »
    Do you think it's possible to leave out institutions for EU? They seem to be mostly single topic questions so as long as you have a good understanding of how they do do business would learning the history really be necessary if you cover everything else?
    shouldnt be an issue leaving institutions out in my eyes if youre covering everything else. theyre usually a single stand alone Q so you should still have 7 Qs to chose from on the paper. Just doing them myself at the minute and they're so dense - its taking me a while to get through them!

Dobs22 wrote: »
    Thanks! It threw me a bit back answering the question, I wasn't sure how much detail to go into about the lien and there was no mention of it in the independent manuals..... Thanks again :)

Your fine when you mentioned it I was like I have nothing about a lien but then saw a throw away line in a sample answer so Im assuming we don't need it...but then famous last words!

Gibbonw2 wrote: »
    Is it too late to get the contract law legislation? And where would i get it?

You dont need it, I had it last time I never used it. I got in in Cork in the UCC bookstore and ordered it in so anywhere you get the law books but usually don't have it and may need to order is so may not have it for Friday (Im quessing thats the day its on)

Wondering if anyone has done Oct 2011, Q3 EU on Direct Effect and could tell me why horizontal direct effect comes into the question, considering solidarity is relying on the directive against government department. Travers talks about the need for horizontal DE?

• Advertisement

Has there been a new EU examiner in the last few years? Just looking at the grid there's been a dramatic change in topics asked since October 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 footlose

Has there been a new EU examiner in the last few years? Just looking at the grid there's been a dramatic change in topics asked since October 2011.

No EU examiner has been the same for a nice few years now. What change have you seen?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 footlose

If people where to gamble on an area of competition coming up what would they say?

footlose wrote: »
    No EU examiner has been the same for a nice few years now. What change have you seen?

Well he's barely asked any of the freedoms since then, just FMOG once and he's carried on asking about workers. Competition law everytime since then as well where before on the grid it was only asked the very odd time.

Well he's barely asked any of the freedoms since then, just FMOG once and he's carried on asking about workers. Competition law everytime since then as well where before on the grid it was only asked the very odd time.

I think its just that the EU course is so wide that he will try ask it all but can't do it in every paper so maybe thats why the focus on say competition lately compared to movements.

has there been any predictions for this sitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭GusherING

Really starting to lose my marbles on EU law revision now. So much to take in, so little time, so much pressure!

Can anyone give me a loose scheme which I can follow to answer problem questions on the free movements. I know loads of cases but I'm not very clear in my head how to structure an answer!

:eek:

GusherING wrote: »
    Really starting to lose my marbles on EU law revision now. So much to take in, so little time, so much pressure!

Can anyone give me a loose scheme which I can follow to answer problem questions on the free movements. I know loads of cases but I'm not very clear in my head how to structure an answer!

Well for goods, ask yourself does money change hands as that tells you whether its 110, 30 or 34. Do consider union citizenship and free movement of workers together cause as they overlap and then consider services and establishment together remember you may have a case like gebhard or sodermare.

GusherING wrote: »

Feel the same, maybe try do out charts or a check list for each article

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 LavenderLemon

Good luck to everyone doing EU tomorrow!

Just wondering if anyone has an up to date EQUITY grid they'll share? I can't find mine in my mass of pages, think I may have thrown it out accidentally! I have a contract one for swaps if that helps

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement