Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lily Belle

bcsod1 wrote: »
    Just wondering what ye think I should do?
    I have signed up to do 4 exams now there is not a hope in hell I'm going to get anywhere near a pass in any of them, I mean I haven't done a tap due to a couple of things that have cropped up. So I'm not going to pass anything I could even get 0%, it's that bad. I had intended just not to do them but the more I think of it I've paid €420 should I just go in for the experience( as I've never done them before) or is there no point. I kind of think there is no point as I would have to pay to stay somewhere so I'd just be throwing away more money but do ye think it might be worth my while, seen as I've already paid, just to go in so I'll be prepared for how the exams run Oct??
    I don't know what to do really

I know they definitely refund part of the money in the event of illness or a bereavement, there's a restriction on notice given and you don't get the full amount I don't think but it would definitely be worth your while explaining your circumstances to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

So trying to revise personal rights in Constitutional. It is insanely long, any rights u lads avoiding?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭doing

Just wondering what ye think I should do?
    I have signed up to do 4 exams now there is not a hope in hell I'm going to get anywhere near a pass in any of them, I mean I haven't done a tap due to a couple of things that have cropped up. So I'm not going to pass anything I could even get 0%, it's that bad. I had intended just not to do them but the more I think of it I've paid €420 should I just go in for the experience( as I've never done them before) or is there no point. I kind of think there is no point as I would have to pay to stay somewhere so I'd just be throwing away more money but do ye think it might be worth my while, seen as I've already paid, just to go in so I'll be prepared for how the exams run Oct??
    I don't know what to do really

Criminal and property are worth doing for the experience if you pick the topics that always come up and kill yourself studying. Better to get the money back but if you can't you might as well.

Although I don't know whether future employers think not sitting looks worse or failing?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Amre17

Right - EU law..
    What areas are people focussing on in competition law?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bcsod1

doing wrote: »

Criminal and property are worth doing for the experience if you pick the topics that always come up and kill yourself studying. Better to get the money back but if you can't you might as well.

Although I don't know whether future employers think not sitting looks worse or failing?

Really Do you really think future employers would look at that? I'm a wee bit worried now as that thought never occurred to me.

Does anyone know if that is true. Would future employers look more or less unfavourably on not doing the exams than failing them completely?

• Advertisement

Really Do you really think future employers would look at that? I'm a wee bit worried now as that thought never occurred to me.

Does anyone know if that is true. Would future employers look more or less unfavourably on not doing the exams than failing them completely?

I wouldn't imagine it would be something that would make or break you as long as you get the 8 within a reasonable period of time? I know the top firms have a three sitting limit for the fe1's though I'm not sure if that only applies to people they've already offered contracts who haven't started them yet. At the end of the day I think an employer is just looking for you to have all 8 and I wouldn't imagine they'd be grilling you too hard about the circumstances of each exam- though I have no experience with that since this is my first sitting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

How is an employer going to know the OP paid exam fees and didn't sit them after all. Your FE1 record begins with the letter that says you've passed three -or more. Talk sense guys, relax, and get on with this week's exams ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 leitrimjoe90

So trying to revise personal rights in Constitutional. It is insanely long, any rights u lads avoiding?

privacy is one he likes, and then livelihood often is coupled in with property

yeh im thinking life, privacy, livelihood, fair procedures, good name and bodily integrity. I don't really have time to go over legal aid etc.

Lily Belle wrote: »
    I wouldn't imagine it would be something that would make or break you as long as you get the 8 within a reasonable period of time? I know the top firms have a three sitting limit for the fe1's though I'm not sure if that only applies to people they've already offered contracts who haven't started them yet. At the end of the day I think an employer is just looking for you to have all 8 and I wouldn't imagine they'd be grilling you too hard about the circumstances of each exam- though I have no experience with that since this is my first sitting!

Which top firms have a limit? I know a few people with TCs in top firms and they have definitely done a lot more than 3 sitting and have missed Blackhall, and they still have a contract.

• Advertisement

Which top firms have a limit? I know a few people with TCs in top firms and they have definitely done a lot more than 3 sitting and have missed Blackhall, and they still have a contract.

I'm not sure how many but I know two people who were given contracts with Arthur cox and McCann Fitzgerald before they started the fe1s and were told a condition was that they had to get them in three sittings. They both did so not sure if its something they actually enforce if it arose!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Happychicky7

So then, sat down to the Company paper and after a brief glance thought this is actually ok, very do-able...3 questions later Im stuck on time and have just realised that my nice S205 question has an ugly companion!!! Worse still I drew a blank half though a very poor floating charges attempt. Gutted! Its my second time and I thought I had it in the bag! Anyone ever passed on 3 decent q and 2 fairly miserable ones?? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ShamblesB

So then, sat down to the Company paper and after a brief glance thought this is actually ok, very do-able...3 questions later Im stuck on time and have just realised that my nice S205 question has an ugly companion!!! Worse still I drew a blank half though a very poor floating charges attempt. Gutted! Its my second time and I thought I had it in the bag! Anyone ever passed on 3 decent q and 2 fairly miserable ones?? :(

I'm on the same boat! Take it the ugly component was the what if there was a provision in the arts/shareholders agreement? I done 3 ok ones and 2 poor questions as well... Will just have to wait and see! :confused:

Been looking at fair procedures questions, and it seems to be asked as to how it is a flexible right. My manual focuses on the elements of the hearing, rather than how the right to applied to a range of different circumstances. I can't find any articles on this point, does anyone know of any?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Caoileann

'Explain the role that the Statute of Limitations 1957 (sections 13 and 24 in particular)has in regulating the law on AP'

What exactly is 24? help!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Happychicky7

ShamblesB wrote: »
    I'm on the same boat! Take it the ugly component was the what if there was a provision in the arts/shareholders agreement? I done 3 ok ones and 2 poor questions as well... Will just have to wait and see! :confused:

Its just so frustrating, was under such time pressure in that exam I didnt even read the questions right! Hopefully he's a (very!) forgiving marker...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

ShamblesB wrote: »

I passed most of my FE1's on what I considered 4-5 poor questions.

Getting 5 done is the most important thing.

Answer quality is something that is very hard to gauge on the day. You may think you left out loads, the examiner may consider it a very focused answer.

You might write pages and pages for an answer, which the examiner may consider a bit loose and waffly.

Just write 5 answers, and ensure to tackle the central couple of issues, get that much down and you've a very good chance - all the super brainy stuff that got you extra marks and congratulations from your tutor in college tends to be a distraction in these exams that can prove fatal if left unchecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ShamblesB

Its just so frustrating, was under such time pressure in that exam I didnt even read the questions right! Hopefully he's a (very!) forgiving marker...
    I passed most of my FE1's on what I considered 4-5 poor questions.

Getting 5 done is the most important thing.

Answer quality is something that is very hard to gauge on the day. You may think you left out loads, the examiner may consider it a very focused answer.

You might write pages and pages for an answer, which the examiner may consider a bit loose and waffly.

Just write 5 answers, and ensure to tackle the central couple of issues, get that much down and you've a very good chance - all the super brainy stuff that got you extra marks and congratulations from your tutor in college tends to be a distraction in these exams that can prove fatal if left unchecked.

Thanks! That's making me feel a bit better anyway! At least I answered 5 questions (poorly) but still! I just kept having to leave a question and move on or else I would have ran out of time for the last few... The last 2 were only 2 pages long, and that's with HUGE writing, scribbled all over the page! Good luck to the examiner trying to read it! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 37 sally01

Does anyone know what the position is when referring to a constitutional case decided by an article that's now been repealed? Currently lookin at the family and there's certain adoption consent cases where the supreme court based their decision on (the now repealed) art 42.5. Eg re jh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Gibbonw2

Can anyone tell me the family question that came up in octobers constitutional exam (if any?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭dinemo6

So what are the main topics people are covering / not covering for Constitutional........ ?? :confused:

Gibbonw2 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me the family question that came up in octobers constitutional exam (if any?)

Dont have it at hand but it was a problem Q

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Guys, i'm covering succession, licences and proprietary estoppel, easements, adverse possession and treasure trove for property tomorrow... I know succession will be up twice and hoping i get three out of the remaining four. Too risky? I'd be able to answer on mortgages or family home mind you but wouldnt be up to the same standard as the other ones

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Caoileann wrote: »
    'Explain the role that the Statute of Limitations 1957 (sections 13 and 24 in particular)has in regulating the law on AP'

24.—Subject to section 25 of this Act and to section 52 of the Act of 1891, at the expiration of the period fixed by this Act for any person to bring an action to recover land, the title of that person to the land shall be extinguished.

13.—(1) (a) Subject to paragraphs (b) and (c) of this subsection, no action shall be brought by a State authority to recover any land after the expiration of thirty years from the date on which the right of action accrued to a State authority or, if it first accrued to some person through whom a State authority claims, to that person.

(b) An action to recover foreshore may be brought by a State authority at any time before the expiration of sixty years from the date on which the right of action accrued to a State authority.

(c) Where any right of action to recover land, which has ceased to be foreshore but remains in the ownership of the State, accrued when the land was foreshore, the action may be brought at any time before the expiration of sixty years from the date of the accrual of the right of action, or of forty years from the date on which the land ceased to be foreshore, whichever period first expires.

(2) The following provisions shall apply to an action by a person (other than a State authority) to recover land—

(a) subject to paragraph (b) of this subsection, no such action shall be brought after the expiration of twelve years from the date on which the right of action accrued to the person bringing it or, if it first accrued to some person through whom he claims, to that person;

(b) if the right of action first accrued to a State authority, the action may be brought at any time before the expiration of the period during which the action could have been brought by a State authority, or of twelve years from the date on which the right of action accrued to some person other than a State authority, whichever period first expires.

(3) For the purposes of this Act—

(a) where a right of action to recover any land accrued to the Crown before the 6th day of December, 1922, the right of action shall be deemed to have accrued to a State authority on the date on which the right of action first accrued to the Crown;

(b) where a right of action to recover any land accrued to Saorstát Éireann before the 29th day of December, 1937, the right of action shall be deemed to have accrued to a State authority on the date on which the right of action first accrued to Saorstát Éireann;

(c) where a right of action to recover any land accrued to the State before the operative date, the right of action shall be deemed to have accrued to a State authority on the date on which the right of action first accrued to the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sorchauna

dinemo6 wrote: »
    So what are the main topics people are covering / not covering for Constitutional........ ?? :confused:

Im hoping for due process since it didnt come up last time, maybe an SOP question, I know right to die came up last time but with flemming case you never know. Surely one of the instituions will come up and fundmental rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Eyespy

Caoileann wrote: »

Hi Caoileann, this case will probably help a little. http://www.courts.ie/judgments.nsf/f69fbd31c73dda2580256cd400020877/7e01e1ea8a2281bf802579d4003d1c76?OpenDocument Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭dinemo6

Does anybody have October 2012 sample answers for Constitutional that they're willing to send me pretty please???

I have up to March 2012 and lots for the other subjects that i could send..

Seems like some of what came up in Oct could be still topical now so would love to see some sample answers...

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Caoileann

Thanks everyone :) Here's hoping for a nice paper (and 5 questions!)
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Eyespy

sally01 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the position is when referring to a constitutional case decided by an article that's now been repealed? Currently lookin at the family and there's certain adoption consent cases where the supreme court based their decision on (the now repealed) art 42.5. Eg re jh

Hi Sally, I don't know the position as it currently stands since the new article was enacted but Oran Doyle has a paper on the likely effects of the new article 42. http://www.academia.edu/2058773/The_31st_Amendment_to_the_Constitution_Children_Bill Hope it helps and best of luck :)

• Advertisement

dinemo6 wrote: »
    Does anybody have October 2012 sample answers for Constitutional that they're willing to send me pretty please???

I have up to March 2012 and lots for the other subjects that i could send..

Seems like some of what came up in Oct could be still topical now so would love to see some sample answers...

I dont have a copy of it in electronic form, but he'd hardly set a similar paper to last sitting would he? He seems to love asking areas people wouldn't expect from the look of things.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement