Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭ananas

Personally I think it's better that they're on at the Red Cow. Getting out to the RDS was an absolute nightmare. At least you can get the Luas out. Hopefully I'll only have to see it for one more session of these bastardíng things!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Aisling23

Guys, if any of you were thinking of booking into the red cow I had a quick look and as far as i can see the Maldron Hotel Citywest is right next to the red cow. I got it for €44.25 a night, best price was on the hotel's own website.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

Aisling23 wrote: »
    Guys, if any of you were thinking of booking into the red cow I had a quick look and as far as i can see the Maldron Hotel Citywest is right next to the red cow. I got it for €44.25 a night, best price was on the hotel's own website.

Hi Aisling,

I don't think the Maldron is that closely located to the Red Cow, though I think the new Citywest Luas line will be open before the next sitting. If so, it's only a 10 minute journey to the Red Cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

Aisling23 wrote: »

I am sorry to be bearer of bad news but this hotel is most certainly not right next to the red cow. Although if you have a car it's a very short jaunt up the N7, not great at all if on foot as a significant part of the journey has no foot paths. Hotels within a short walk of red cow would be 1. Red cow morans hotel 2. IBIS Hotel 3. Louis Fitzgerald Hotel 4. Bewleys newlands cross 5. Green isle hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

dats_right wrote: »
    I am sorry to be bearer of bad news but this hotel is most certainly not right next to the red cow. Although if you have a car it's a very short jaunt up the N7, not great at all if on foot as a significant part of the journey has no foot paths. Hotels within a short walk of red cow would be 1. Red cow morans hotel 2. IBIS Hotel 3. Louis Fitzgerald Hotel 4. Bewleys newlands cross 5. Green isle hotel.

The Plaza Hotel and The abberley court hotel, located beside the square shopping centre would be another 2 options. Both are within walking distance from the luas which is 5 mins to the Red Cow...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Orla FitzP

hey guys! have to say i find this thread realli useful- whoever set it up, well dun them!

so im on my 2nd lot taking property and company and equity (I dont have a law background so im taking my tiome with them?)

for property and company has anybody any hints or tips for studying them things that are so important or anything??

any feed back would be great!

p.s I think its a disgrace theyre not holding them in the RDS anymore??? y fix whats not broken
    (talk to joe)

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

Agreed. The RDS was a damn sight easier for me to get to from Swords (North County Dublin) by public transport! I will have to get up pretty early, plus that Luas Line is the one with all of the delightful anti social behaviour. It takes about 40 minutes to get from Abbey street to Tallaght by Luas. Nope, I'm not looking forward to it at all!!

Orla FitzP wrote: »
    hey guys! have to say i find this thread realli useful- whoever set it up, well dun them!

so im on my 2nd lot taking property and company and equity (I dont have a law background so im taking my tiome with them?)

for property and company has anybody any hints or tips for studying them things that are so important or anything??

p.s I think its a disgrace theyre not holding them in the RDS anymore??? y fix whats not broken
    (talk to joe)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 GalwayLLB

Hogzy wrote: »
    Cork is in the South Buddy.
    Good to know that geography is not being examined

Orla FitzP wrote: »

(talk to joe)
    Why bother sitting them at all......there are very few traineeships available, and so many chasing them.

Actaully some of us might just about get into the UK......www.lawcareers.net is a good start....

• Advertisement

but the last sitting had much less people sitting them??? dont give up pesimistic pete-

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmyUkm2qlhA

Dear OrlaFitz, Nemo has not more chance of finding a TC than the rest of us, so I suppose that youtube video provides some hope for the future.

By the way, the Law Society are running a seminar on finding a TC on 25th January in Dublin, €25.00....go for the craic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

GalwayLLB wrote: »
    Dear OrlaFitz, Nemo has not more chance of finding a TC than the rest of us,
    Why bother sitting them at all......there are very few traineeships available, and so many chasing them.

Listen buddy, If you have nothing to contribute to people just bugger off. This thread is for people who havnt given up on life and who want to try. Any person who has earned any bit of decent money in life and who has a relatively high end job has not been handed everything to him/her on a plate. You have to work for it.

Just because you have thrown in the towel doesnt mean you can go put everyone else down. And to be honest i can see why you havnt made it in the legal sector. You clearly dont have the drive for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

This thread is for discussion of the FE1 exams only. If you want to discuss the difficulty of finding work or a TC, this is not the thread.

Because nothing ventured is nothing gained!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭coco13

Hey guys..Its this time of year again..Arghhhhhhhhhh!!!!
    So am sitting my last three FE1s this March..Company, Constitutional and EU Law.
    I'm working full time and will have to fit the study in at weekends and maybe an hour or two the odd evening. Haven't opened the books yet so am freaked with how much I have to do...I think there still is loads of time left though even though Im working full time.. Yeah??? Someone please agree with me!!! Wouldn't be so feaked if I had some weekdays to study also but such is life. Though find it so so difficult to do anything in the evenings after work..usually wiped! Really really really wanna nail these last three now and be done with these exams for good. Any feedback appreciated please!

Totally agree that the Red Cow sucks as an exam venue.... RDS was so much handier. Dread the thoughts of getting there but if I can get the stuff into my head I'm sure that'll be the least of my worries!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

WHERES MY GOD DAMN RECHECK RESULT YOU @SSH0LES!!????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

I met a friend in the past few days who is a 'high-up' in the Law Society. Friend says a decision was taken in November 2010 to close down the Cork PPC operation, apparently the costs to the Lawsoc are prohibitive. So all of us from outside the Pale can look forward to a spell living in Dublin once we get past the FE1s and beg an apprenticeship in some lonely outpost.

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭hession.law

JCJCJC wrote: »
    I met a friend in the past few days who is a 'high-up' in the Law Society. Friend says a decision was taken in November 2010 to close down the Cork PPC operation, apparently the costs to the Lawsoc are prohibitive. So all of us from outside the Pale can look forward to a spell living in Dublin once we get past the FE1s and beg an apprenticeship in some lonely outpost.

JC

Yeaaa God forbid the law society should bare the cost of running the Cork ppc, its not like we pay them thousand to part take in it after paying them hundreds to take exams just to get into it. let us bare the extra cost of living instead

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Email them! thats what i did wen my results got lost in the snow?? and they emailed my results (its the future!) and ring them? Paula Sheedy is the woman u need to email? Good luck

• Advertisement

They won't be out till February NoQuarter. It said recheck results will issue 6 to 8 weeks on the application form. I am waiting for them also, but I very much doubt I will jump from 41 to 50, so I amn't too hopeful about them. It would be nice though if a miracle happened:D

coco13 wrote: »
    Hey guys..Its this time of year again..Arghhhhhhhhhh!!!!
    So am sitting my last three FE1s this March..Company, Constitutional and EU Law.
    I'm working full time and will have to fit the study in at weekends and maybe an hour or two the odd evening. Haven't opened the books yet so am freaked with how much I have to do...I think there still is loads of time left though even though Im working full time.. Yeah??? Someone please agree with me!!! Wouldn't be so feaked if I had some weekdays to study also but such is life. Though find it so so difficult to do anything in the evenings after work..usually wiped! Really really really wanna nail these last three now and be done with these exams for good. Any feedback appreciated please!

Totally agree that the Red Cow sucks as an exam venue.... RDS was so much handier. Dread the thoughts of getting there but if I can get the stuff into my head I'm sure that'll be the least of my worries!!!!

Hey coco13 I am working FT too, so I sympathise. It is really hard to study after work. I tried some on Wednesday )I used to be very disciplined) company law to be exact and there is just so much. You should start now though as you have 3 massive subjects to cover there especially with company (from which you can leave very little out). Good luck with the 3 and kudos that you have 5 in the bag already:D

And yep getting to the venue will be mighty stressful at least for the 1st exam. Still a new venue (for me) might be lucky (hopefully).

colonel1 wrote: »
    They won't be out till February NoQuarter. It said recheck results will issue 6 to 8 weeks on the application form. I am waiting for them also, but I very much doubt I will jump from 41 to 50, so I amn't too hopeful about them. It would be nice though if a miracle happened:D

It says application forms must be in by feb 4th so how does that work then?

Shockingly slow from the law soc.

It says application forms must be in by feb 4th so how does that work then?

Shockingly slow from the law soc.

I was referring to the exam recheck application forms. But I guess they presume that you will work on the assumption that your marks won't change and you go ahead and apply for the March exams. If you do pass on a recheck you are refunded (after about 6 weeks) the 120, so I would assume that they would also have to refund the fee you paid to sit that exam in March as well. I am working on the assumption that I haven't passed on the recheck, so will pay for March exams by Feb 4th. Maybe we will both have good news (it would be a lovely surprise for 2011). And yes it does seem to take an unduly lengthy period of time to correct exam papers imo in comparison to University/college exams.

What I really hate:mad: however is this sit four and must pass 3 on your first attempt rule. It is "ok" for those with deep pockets and loads of free time to study for the same four subjects over and over. However, nowt will change on my say so alas:(

Yeah its too complicated for my situation. Im hoping to be brought up 7% in tort. If i am, ill have passed my first 3 so my march application subjects will be completely different depending on whether ive passed this one recheck or not!

How it takes 6-8 weeks is beyond me, there cant be that many rechecks.

Yeah its too complicated for my situation. Im hoping to be brought up 7% in tort. If i am, ill have passed my first 3 so my march application subjects will be completely different depending on whether ive passed this one recheck or not!

How it takes 6-8 weeks is beyond me, there cant be that many rechecks.

Yeah I am in the same position, hoping to be brought up 9% in contract, I don't really fancy sitting all four again. ....And explaining to people outside the FE1 system why you didn't get 100% in all papers is getting wearing and makes one feel rather dumb:o And as for people, within the system, who argue that the pass 3 rule is a true mark of your aptitude as opposed to being a memory test, well words (polite ones anyway) fail me!

As for the quantity of rechecks, I would say they get more than one could imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ID@THEWIDOWS

Anyone have any spare law society past papers they could mail me. I am thinking of sitting it this year. any other notes etc would be beneficial or any advice all welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭coco13

Cheers Colonel 1 ... Yeah just find it difficult after work..not enough hours in the day to fit it all in! And its taking a while to get going. Courses I have left are long though and going to try to persevere this week to get them covered.

I will mention that while I have five in the bag..It took a while to get em and I also passed two and failed two first sitting so keep plugging!
    colonel1 wrote: »
    Hey coco13 I am working FT too, so I sympathise. It is really hard to study after work. I tried some on Wednesday )I used to be very disciplined) company law to be exact and there is just so much. You should start now though as you have 3 massive subjects to cover there especially with company (from which you can leave very little out). Good luck with the 3 and kudos that you have 5 in the bag already:D

And yep getting to the venue will be mighty stressful at least for the 1st exam. Still a new venue (for me) might be lucky (hopefully).

In company wen they say- the corner stone of corp. governance is regulation 80 of Part1 table A-

do they want u to talk about how the directors get their power???like it comes from the shareholder??

i dont have the Company Acts yet (expensive) do pple recommend u bring them in??
    wb please!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Becky55

Am i correct in saying that the Irish exam is now completely done away with??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement