Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

uk motorways

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

maidhc wrote:
    Well said.

It isn't surprising common sense is so often ignored though when the powers that be (Gardai RSA) promote a blind adherence to rules.
    I am not so sure. I have heard a number of Gardai & police here in the UK stating that, for example, they would not "do" someone for undertaking a driver hogging the overtaking lane.

I think for the most part the gardai have a bit of cop , pardon the pun, and know that the law does not always for in real life. I little bit of discretion goes a long way.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

jrar wrote:
    Anyone recognise this one ??

They sit in the overtaking lane although the road ahead is clear and the left-hand lane is empty

You approach from behind, but there's no movement

A quick flash of lights to wake them up, and they immediately pull into the l/h lane, no problem, no dirty looks, no fingers, no rage, etc.

As soon as you overtake them and move to the l/h lane, they're already back out in the overtaking lane having resumed their original position !!

Oh yeah, I recognise that one :D

If you had to explain to them what was wrong with their driving, where would you start?

jrar wrote:
    I'm not sure if it's law in France...

(...)

Then again their country is spotless, their roads are a dream to drive on, their signage is second to none - let's face it, it's a cultural thing and some countries have it, and some like ourselves just don't !

Don't forget the beautiful architecture, breakfasts to die for, the TGV, the best health service in the world, and the achingly sexy women speaking a language that forces them to pout... oh yeah, France has it all, baby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

In general the motorways are great in the Uk, I drive the M25 every morning and the only offenders on he roads to be foreign trucks. They often hog the middle lanes where there only allowed to stay in the slow lane. Sometimes 2 trucks will be alongside each other for miles making it extremly hard to overtake, cos it can be difficuly to get into the fastest lane when theres cars shooting down at 100mph+

Although on the normal non motoway roads, we irish are much better drivers. The English seem to hate indicating. They will also never let you out at a junction, unlike here in ireland were I find the drivers to be much more friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

fricatus wrote:
    Don't forget the beautiful architecture, breakfasts to die for, the TGV, the best health service in the world, and the achingly sexy women speaking a language that forces them to pout... oh yeah, France has it all, baby!

Agree on all counts Fricatus, but didn't want to be responsible for the thread turning into a "France has it all" discussion !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

jrar wrote:
    Agree on all counts Fricatus, but didn't want to be responsible for the thread turning into a "France has it all" discussion !
    But, now that you mention it....!!:)

Accommodating motorway movement is normal driving behaviour. In a month I didn't meet a single lane hogger.

Fixed speed limits of 30, 50, 70, 90, 110, and 130 kph. Automatic lower limits in the wet. The road netwok is obviously very well surveyed and limited for speed accordingly, at bends etc. Better graduated increments/decrements in the limit. 150m warnings that the limit is about to change. High ramps on entering towns/villages that force you to slow down. Roundabouts all over the place. Loads of motorway stops.

Oh, and only 1-3c more for Super, which is available at every pump. At one stage here it was 179, and it's lucky if you find any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

shayser wrote:
    But, now that you mention it....!!:)

Accommodating motorway movement is normal driving behaviour. In a month I didn't meet a single lane hogger.

Fixed speed limits of 30, 50, 70, 90, 110, and 130 kph. Automatic lower limits in the wet. The road netwok is obviously very well surveyed and limited for speed accordingly, at bends etc. Better graduated increments/decrements in the limit. 150m warnings that the limit is about to change. High ramps on entering towns/villages that force you to slow down. Roundabouts all over the place. Loads of motorway stops.

Oh, and only 1-3c more for Super, which is available at every pump. At one stage here it was 179, and it's lucky if you find any.

You forgot a few bits, while you were at it:
    * no VRT
    * no road tax
    * vastly cheaper insurance (FR fully-comp price less than half of IE 3rd party price, for my IE-reg'd car)
    * a driving tuition system that works (< that may be the root of it all in FR/UK ;))

:D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Before I begin: I agree that undertaking is relatively dangerous.

However, people on this thread seem to be taking it to an extreme. Does it really terrify you that much? From all the exaggerated caution given to it, you'd think not one of you actually looks over your shoulder when performing a lane change - you know you're supposed to do that when moving left a lane as well as right a lane, yeah? That's the only way I can see anyone thinking it's as dangerous as you're making it out to be.

Here, lane hoggers are a fact of life. You undertake them - it's not illegal - and you get on with it. If it was as insane as people are suggesting, there'd be no one left alive in this country for all the undertaking going on.

And as for Henry "happily do 40km/h behind an idiot" Ford claiming that Stratos' rules-AND-sense point is a "top post"... Well I got a laugh out of that.

Advertisement