Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far Cry 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

It seems like a good idea to be all realistic in this game however, I'd reckon people are going to be pissed off over time when they need to remove bullets, fix a vehicle over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

the maleria aspect will only be worth it if you can destroy a camp's medicine supply and then go off do a different mission and come back to find them all sick/dying :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    the maleria aspect will only be worth it if you can destroy a camp's medicine supply and then go off do a different mission and come back to find them all sick/dying :D:D

Nah all enemies respawn im afraid which for i think is the biggest X against this game's name

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Stev_o wrote: »
    Nah all enemies respawn im afraid which for i think is the biggest X against this game's name

Respawning enemies! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

L31mr0d wrote: »
    yeah some of the more recent trailers from the PC version do seem promising. I'll do what I usually do, play through it first and destroy everything (including the wildlife, lol) then try it again and use stealth.

I don't know about this Malaria malarky though, it feels like they are adding a time limit when they force you to HAVE to do something at a specified time.

Its do with this "immersion" they are promising...they want the player to feel like they are really the ones in the middle of the action. I don't mind this malaria thing, could add a good bit of tension to the game if you go so bad ass nobody wants to give you meds :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

L31mr0d wrote: »
    yeah some of the more recent trailers from the PC version do seem promising. I'll do what I usually do, play through it first and destroy everything (including the wildlife, lol) then try it again and use stealth.

Ha. Thats exactly what I do aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Really looking forward to this. Was a big fan of the first, then I went out and bought a brand new rig for 2k 12 months ago, bought Crysis and I played about 2 hours of it. Very disappointing in comparison. Hopefully this will blow it away.

I reckon i'll get it on the PS3 though, simply because there is a better chance ofplaying some mates online! I'm liking the whole malaris idea too. I think it is important that new age FPS try something a little different.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

8/10 and a fairly lackluster review from eurogamer.

Sounds a bit disappointing but I want a new FPS anyway, so not put off too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Any chance of this being keyboard/mouse compatible on the consoles I wonder? That would be great news!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Maximilian wrote: »
    8/10 and a fairly lackluster review from eurogamer.

Sounds a bit disappointing but I want a new FPS anyway, so not put off too much.

Publication Score
    Eurogamer 8/10
    GamesRadar 9/10

IGN 8.4/10
    Official PlayStation Magazine (US) 9/10
    Official Xbox Magazine 9/10
    PC Gamer UK 94%
    PC PowerPlay 10/10
    seems all good bar IGN and Eurogamer. Gonna read their reviews see what they didnt like about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I think eurogamer's review was fair enough, it did point out that it was a game not to be missed, and just that it had flaws.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,098 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think eurogamer's review was fair enough, it did point out that it was a game not to be missed, and just that it had flaws.

Yeah sensible review alright: a game that tried to do everything, didn't succeed with everything, but got a lot right. Again, seems to be a case of the score at the end being a mere afterthought (and an 8 should not be a disapointing score really). Will be reading more reviews before Friday, but as of now sounds like an interesting game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I tend to trust gametrailers reviews over all others, mainly due to the way they break the game down into categories, give a score for each category then the final score is the average of these. I usually agree with their opinions also.

Regardless, I'll be playing this game anyway. I don't think a bad review could change that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

FarCry 2 Early Performance Preview

1224567052wrBXF0KsTr_1_2.gif
    1224567052wrBXF0KsTr_1_3.gif
    1224567052wrBXF0KsTr_1_4.gif
    We double checked this, but it appears that the Radeon HD 4870 X2 is not performing much faster than the Radeon HD 4870. It does not appear that both 4870X2 GPUs are accelerating this game for added performance over the single-GPU Radeon HD 4870. We don’t quite know what to make of this just yet; we were using the new Hotfix AMD driver so the latest driver was being used. It may be that CrossFire isn’t working with this game yet, or it could mean there is simply a bug
    Summary

The very first thing you will notice when looking at these results is the high settings in this game that are actually playable. FarCry 2 is certainly no Crysis. (Pun Intended.)

We were easily able to play in DirectX 10 mode on all single PCB video cards here at the absolute highest in-game settings possible. Yes, all the drop-down boxes shown above are at their highest quality settings! This is very exciting and surely is a breath of fresh air from the horrid DX10 performance we’ve seen in Crysis and Crysis: Warhead and even Stalker: Clear Sky.

Wow, and I game at only 1920x1200, looks like this will run like a dream if this review is correct.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Thought Eurogamers review was quite bad. Reading it sounded more like a 6 or 7. Seemed to be very negative.
    Personally I'm really looking forward to this.

Some review done by a TV show on youtube

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=j4xfZX3BrnU&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Thought Eurogamers review was quite bad. Reading it sounded more like a 6 or 7. Seemed to be very negative.
    Personally I'm really looking forward to this.

The eurogamer review was the most patethic thing I've read this year...the guy sounds like:

a) he just doesn't like FPS
    b) he's too far up COD4's ass

That review can be safely ignored, and gives me another reason why I should really stop reading that site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

didnt like the first one, not bothered with this one

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Stev_o wrote: »

Much more informative review than Eurogamers one.

They say that it has 40 hours gameplay and that could be doubled with the completion of side quests.
    That sounds like a very long game in comparison to most FPS's.

• Advertisement

Helix wrote: »
    didnt like the first one, not bothered with this one

First one and this one have only the name in common, different developer, different game engine, different game completely. Ubisoft own the name which is why its being used.

Btw, the developer of the first one was Crytek who now develop Crysis.

The above was my first experience with Far Cry 2. Then I started a new game. This time around. I woke up in a different place. My saviour and first friend turned out to be Andre, a Haitian. He's a taciturn chap with neat dreads and big guns. I rescue Quarbani Singh from where he's being held by the APR (Alliance for Popular Resistance), an experienced, almost elderly gentleman. He promises that if I'm ever in trouble, he'll come and help out.

This is the basis of Far Cry 2's storytelling: characters and situations are swapped via a software author, itself responding to choices made by the player. It's something that's been on the cards for some time - mostly in research projects - but this is the first high-profile game to use it.

This sounds promicing, maybe it'll have a replay value considering I just dump most single player FPS games once I finish them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

am looking forward to playing this,need a new game to play since i finished brother in arms hells highway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Is it me or does the gameplay sound like stalker?
    sandbox fps, different factions, open-area. missions etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Personally I'm getting a bit fed up with eurogamer. They glossed over a lot of the faults other magazines consistently pointed out in fable 2 and now have pretty much torn far cry 2 apart (well, by the review, the final score is quite good). I feel I will have to start removing this "Eamonn Dunphy School of Computer Game Journalism" from my deciding factor.

Eamogamer, much better title :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Great to see the performance tested with various top end cards that I haven't got.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

what kind of performance can i expect with gtx 260?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

what kind of performance can i expect with gtx 260?

depends, what does the rest of your system look like? what resolution will you be gaming at?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Personally I'm getting a bit fed up with eurogamer

here here!

They can talk some crap at the best of times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

I see it has just been leaked and cracked

arrrghhh must fight the temptation as I have it pre-ordered

Advertisement