Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far Cry 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Oh it is, can't wait till somebody makes Phoenix Park, or Leixlip!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The map editor is cool, but mod tools seem to be non existent as I understand it & no likelyhood they'll be released. I'm on the fence about the editor atm. Though with enough pressure & interest, Ubisoft might fold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Pc version is already up on one P2P site, just spotted it there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Lets not advocate, support or promote piracy. Aside from the legal implications - and I realise no links have been posted - it's harmful to the industry. There are a few videogame developers who post around here, and it does them a disservice to post about piracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I had a chance to play this recently and it is amazing. Excellent gameplay, graphics. It is very well polished. Definitely a must buy for xbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Trailer looks good but how is the game any different from all the other FPS games coming out this season?

EDIT: Wikipedia is citing some good reviews for the game.

Lets not advocate, support or promote piracy. Aside from the legal implications - and I realise no links have been posted - it's harmful to the industry. There are a few videogame developers who post around here, and it does them a disservice to post about piracy.

:rolleyes: Well maybe they're shooting themselves in the foot with their strict DRM methods, treating all buyers as thieves
    - You have 5 activations on 3 separate PCs.

- Uninstalling the game “refunds” an activation. This process is called “revoke”, so as long as you complete proper uninstall you will be able to install the game an unlimited number of times on 3 systems.

- You can upgrade your computer as many time as you want (using our revoke system).

- Ubisoft is committed to the support of our games, and additional activations can be provided.
    Link

Personally, I'd rather pirate a copy and have full use of it than buy a copy and be treated like a pirate and let it install rootkits just to keep an eye on how I use it, but maybe thats just me, I pirate every game and buy them if I enjoy them. We'll see how Joe public likes it, bet they've got another Spore on their hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Well maybe they're shooting themselves in the foot with their strict DRM methods

Link

Personally, I'd rather pirate a copy and have full use of it than buy a copy and be treated like a pirate and let it install rootkits just to keep an eye on how I use it, but maybe thats just me, I pirate every game and buy them if I enjoy them. We'll see how Joe public likes it, bet we've got another Spore on our hands.
    There is a good article on this topic here.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=262157

Its always been the case. Legit users get ****ed over with copy protection, dongles, restrictions etc. whilst the pirates get none of this. When will they ever learn.

:rolleyes: Well maybe they're shooting themselves in the foot with their strict DRM methods, treating all buyers as thieves

Regardless of the disadvantages of DRM, the answer is not theft. At the end of the day, you are shooting yourself in the foot. The more piracy, the more DRM. The more piracy, the more developers abandon the PC as a viable gaming platform. Enjoy your free lunch, because dinner won't be coming.
    Personally, I'd rather pirate a copy and have full use of it than buy a copy and be treated like a pirate and let it install rootkits just to keep an eye on how I use it, but maybe thats just me, I pirate every game and buy them if I enjoy them. We'll see how Joe public likes it, bet they've got another Spore on their hands.

You're breaking the law, and you're supporting an illegal industry that is actively harming the industry. You can dress it up however you like and add in all the excuses and provisos you want, but the fact remains that your piracy is harming the industry as a whole.

Anyway, this is not the thread. If anybody wants to continue the discussion, they may start a new thread.

Regardless of the disadvantages of DRM, the answer is not theft. At the end of the day, you are shooting yourself in the foot. The more piracy, the more DRM. The more piracy, the more developers abandon the PC as a viable gaming platform. Enjoy your free lunch, because dinner won't be coming.

You're breaking the law, and you're supporting an illegal industry that is actively harming the industry. You can dress it up however you like and add in all the excuses and provisos you want, but the fact remains that your piracy is harming the industry as a whole.

Anyway, this is not the thread. If anybody wants to continue the discussion, they may start a new thread.

• Advertisement

Xbox360 version was on the P2P sites days ago, hows that a viable alternative gaming platform

It's viable in the sense that the vast, vast majority of Xbox gamers won't pirate games, whereas it is so rampant on the PC that virtually every major historically PC-focused developer has been forced to develop for consoles.

Anyway, move on. Back on topic.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I spend 400/500 a month on games
    but I'm still happy to hear the news on whether it's out on torrents its not honestly like people who download games like this wait to hear it on a forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Good reviews you say ... could be good timing; am heading to New York this week, just in time for the US release of Far Cry 2. Might just pick myself up a copy of the game - and any other hot release coming out. At 1.5 dollars for every 1 euro, I can't go wrong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Here we go again with the DRM/piracy discussions. You lot could could bore the teeth off a hen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Can't wait to get my hands on this bad boy...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well if anyone feels so badly towards the DRM they can buy the game and download a crack, thus having the best of both worlds and not screwing anyone over.

Anyway, does anyone know if there's any real differences between the versions? I mean, like do the console version allow less players in multiplayer etc?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

The more I see of this game the more I'm looking forward to it. The DRM is unwelcome but I can't see how it will actually adversely affect anyone to be honest.

I also think it's curious that despite all the predictions of piracy killing PC gaming, the last two high-profile pirate releases I've heard of have both been Xbox 360 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Maximilian wrote: »
    The more I see of this game the more I'm looking forward to it. The DRM is unwelcome but I can't see how it will actually adversely affect anyone to be honest.

I also think it's curious that despite all the predictions of piracy killing PC gaming, the last two high-profile pirate releases I've heard of have both been Xbox 360 games.

the difference is, people have a lot of stock in their online 360 account. They would effectively be losing this to chip their console to allow for pirated games. Plus the main plus point of the 360 is its online gaming

It would be akin to someone on boards, with a long standing user account to suddenly start scamming people on adverts.

Piracy on the 360 is not near as rampant as piracy on the pc. I only really see it taking off when the 360 starts selling for €100 or less. Which would make it affordable for people to buy a second one and chip it for offline games.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

L31mr0d wrote: »
    the difference is, people have a lot of stock in their online 360 account. They would effectively be losing this to chip their console to allow for pirated games. Plus the main plus point of the 360 is its online gaming

It would be akin to someone on boards, with a long standing user account to suddenly start scamming people on adverts.

Piracy on the 360 is not near as rampant as piracy on the pc. I only really see it taking off when the 360 starts selling for €100 or less. Which would make it affordable for people to buy a second one and chip it for offline games.

I take your point there but the sheer number of downloads of those torrents suggests its a bigger problem.

• Advertisement

Maximilian wrote: »
    I take your point there but the sheer number of downloads of those torrents suggests its a bigger problem.

from further reading it seems it might currently be possible to go online and also have a chipped 360. If so then there is really nothing stopping 360 owners from pirating. In fact it would make it a better platform as you can't (for the majority) go online, officially, with pirated games on the PC.

Off topic! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

but interesting! Surprised to hear Far Cry 2 is good. I thought it would be another mediocre shooter. I guess it's a choice between this game and Dead Space.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

anyone know when this game is out for the PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

quotes from wikipedia
    tools to dig bullets out of the body and pat themselves down when on fire
    that mean like dig in behind objects??the Brothers in arms style??..
    Weapons will disintegrate over time, adding a grimier look to them, and causing them to jam and eventually just explode in your hand
    African wildlife, herbivores only, such as zebras, wildebeest, gazelle, buffalo, impala, gemsbok
    and IMO the height of realism
    The player will also have to deal with malaria. Every 30 to 40 minutes real time, the player will have to take a pill in order to combat the effects of the illness. When the player runs out of Medicine, he or she will have to do a simple mission in order to get more. The player's reputation comes into play as the more and more notorious the player becomes, the harder it will become to obtain the medication.
    also seems like they put to much effort into making it so real..hopefully this hasent distracted them from other stuff..however from the video someone posted earlier with the A.I being very aggressive and chasing you...this game is gonna be AWSOME:D
    anyone know when this game is out for the PC?

October 21, 2008 in North America and October 24, 2008 in Europe

Also a Q & A providing map editor info http://farcry.uk.ubi.com/index.php?page=blog&action=article&content_id=8281

Soby wrote: »
    that mean like dig in behind objects??the Brothers in arms style??..

No, when you get shot there's an animation wher eyou dig the bullet out of you with pliers, or bandage your hand etc. There's a few different types.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

i think it means pulling bullets out if you get shot. I saw a video of your character pulling one out with a vice grips of his arm. its part of the healing. you then take a syrette to heal yourself. you wont be able to heal properly if you dont remove the bullets or reset a dislocated arm etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

humanji wrote: »
    No, when you get shot there's an animation wher eyou dig the bullet out of you with pliers, or bandage your hand etc. There's a few different types.

ah no i got that bit..it was the "pat themselves down" bit i didnt understand

yeah some of the more recent trailers from the PC version do seem promising. I'll do what I usually do, play through it first and destroy everything (including the wildlife, lol) then try it again and use stealth.

I don't know about this Malaria malarky though, it feels like they are adding a time limit when they force you to HAVE to do something at a specified time.

• Advertisement

Soby wrote: »
    ah no i got that bit..it was the "pat themselves down" bit i didnt understand
    Ah right, yeah, that just means when you're on fire you pat down the flames.

Advertisement