Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far Cry 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Still enjoying every second of it....planning and executing attacks is great fun once you start getting some serious weaponry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I'm at about 88 per cent complete and am getting really annoyed with one bit. What seems to be one of the last few missions wont trigger, I go to the bar and it wont let me in. The map says it's there, I got a call about it and still it wont let me in!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Hmmm just noticed email notifications don't spoiler spoilers if you know what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Please excuse the pun but Far Cry 2 is a "far cry" from the classic original that was released on the pc some 3/4 years ago now. The original game was breath taking in storyline, A.I. and graphics and I still go back to replay it once or twice a year.

I knew this wasn't a sequel (so why call it far cry 2???) but I thought it might be a worthy successor. BOY AM I DISAPPOINTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the graphics are, at best, on a par with the 4 year old original while the A.I. is ridiculous. Firing a full mag, POINT BLANK, to take an enemy down is stupid. The story is nowhere near as original as the first far cry and for me, after 2 hours of gameplay, it is incredibly boring. I usually make my mind up about a game after the first hour or so and I'm usually right, e.g Uncharted and COD4 were brilliant while Haze and Turok were crap.

If I could sum this game up, it would be GTA IV goes to the jungle (i.e. flimsy story, little missions, buying and upgrading weapons and making "buddies"). It was nothing short of a con to call this rubbish game after the classic original. Jeez what next, a game with the tellytubbies being called COD6?

Wish I'd spent the cash on Deadspace or Bioshock.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

If you thought Far Cry had a breath taking story then I think your suffering from severe asthma. Don't play any other game or you may end up dead. Tetris had a better story than Far Cry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Sorry but Crytek have a crazed obsession with adding mutants/aliens in their games when there is no need for them whatsoever. Every agree's that the mutants ruined Far Cry and the aliens ruined Crysis

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Far Cry had a breathtaking storyline?

Admittedly Carver's shirt was fairly breath-taking & had a story behind it, but other than that ...

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah gotta admit that shirt was awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Stev_o wrote: »
    Sorry but Crytek have a crazed obsession with adding mutants/aliens in their games when there is no need for them whatsoever. Every agree's that the mutants ruined Far Cry and the aliens ruined Crysis

I don't. I quite liked the aliens in crysis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

I thought the mutants were good in Far Cry. Especially those big bastard mutants that had taken too much juice. One of my top ten gaming moments was meeting the first of these in a murky swamp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

aye, I think a game needs variety. I think if Crysis had been nothing but fighting Koreans it would of gotten old fast. I personally didn't think the Alien half of Crysis was as good as the first half fighting the Koreans, but I'm glad it was in there to add contrast.

IMO, you either have a wide variety of bad guys (crysis, far cry, half life) or you have a wide variety of environments (CoD 4), or have both.

Where Far Cry 2 fails is that it has a fairly unchanging environment and an unchanging type of bad guys. It's getting monotonous seeing the same faces also. You'd think they could of made more than 5 different faces for every grunt in the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This is where one prays for a mod community to grow and evolve the game.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    there are no side quests? not even the communication arrays? Go to any of them and click on them and it will ask you if you want to abandon your current objective.

No nothing marked with an exclamation on the map.
    I was looking on official ubisoft forums, heres the links:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1521068375/m/7681081896

or this 1:
    http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1521068375/m/9301023796

Its happening to alot of people, multiplatform game breaking bug. I'm gonna try what you said about getting to a signal post. If not im bringing it back to shop. A whole load of bull-crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

pixelburp wrote: »

Please god

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

pixelburp wrote: »

Except there are no mod tools. The map editor is for making multiplayer maps only. There is no sdk and I don't think they plan to release one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I think the graphics are, at best, on a par with the 4 year old original while the A.I. is ridiculous. Firing a full mag, POINT BLANK, to take an enemy down is stupid.

You need your eye's tested bub as the dunia engine in FC2 blows every other game out of the water and then some. Coming out with rubbish about its gfx being dated and on par with a 4 year old game grants you boards.ie retard of the year award 2008.

While I agree the check points can be a pain in the ass till you get access to the better weapons Im having a total blast with FC2 overall. When FC2 gets patched/modded to take out the checkpoints and beef up the weapons a little it will be serious GOTY material. The malairia element bugs me more to be honest with the pain in the ass underground missions to get more pills.

While I agree the Farcry named is used just to grab attention I honestly feel this product would of still been just as big with another name as Farcry, Halflife and Quake were all unknown names at one point as well ;)

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    No nothing marked with an exclamation on the map.
    I was looking on official ubisoft forums, heres the links:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1521068375/m/7681081896

or this 1:
    http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1521068375/m/9301023796

Its happening to alot of people, multiplatform game breaking bug. I'm gonna try what you said about getting to a signal post. If not im bringing it back to shop. A whole load of bull-crap.

Mick try loading a previous misison save and see if that helps and if your still stuck pm me with where you are in the game and I'll try to steer you to the next bit :)

The thing that bugs me about the malaria is it isn't explained at all why you have it. You just pass out a few times at the start and then have to divert away from the "story" missions to get more medicine. As it stands, the story isn't clear at all so the malaria just feels like a chore than any real clever gameplay element. So far its the only real thing I can say against this game, still enjoying it as I knew I would.

And to people complaining about it taking a full clip to down an enemy, are you aiming at all??? I can down most enemies in 3 or 4 shots, even from the G3KA4..

DarkJager wrote: »
    The thing that bugs me about the malaria is it isn't explained at all why you have it. You just pass out a few times at the start and then have to divert away from the "story" missions to get more medicine. As it stands, the story isn't clear at all so the malaria just feels like a chore than any real clever gameplay element. So far its the only real thing I can say against this game, still enjoying it as I knew I would.

And to people complaining about it taking a full clip to down an enemy, are you aiming at all??? I can down most enemies in 3 or 4 shots, even from the G3KA4..

Headshots work fine in the game but I feel the ammount of bullets you fill some guy's chest with is a tad much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

just noticed if you want to spice up your opponents, focus on the gun missions for a while, every time you unlock some weapons and items, your opponents get kitted with a load of them too. EVEN IF YOU DONT BUY THEM!

So while initally everyone had shotguns and G3's I am now swamped with aks, uzis, snipers etc and thats only from 2 missions for the gun dealers.

I wonder if I can get it so there are some of them running around with flamethrowers :D

• Advertisement

musician wrote: »
    Except there are no mod tools. The map editor is for making multiplayer maps only. There is no sdk and I don't think they plan to release one.
    That remains to be seen; the game is a PC one, therefore the files on said PC are there for potential manipulation. Official SDKs and editors have never stopped modders before from editing a supposedly non-moddable game. It certainly didn't stop me with BF1942 :D

One can only hope though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yeah the first few shots seem to have no effect on the enemy, even from some of the big guns...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

The original game was breath taking in storyline, .

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha,,,*takes a breath*.... ahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahah
    ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
    ahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Phew...*puff, puff*

Best joke of the year !

*Stands up and slowly applauds the brilliance*

Anybody know what exactly the dart rifle does? I was hoping it would have some effect on the enemies but it just makez them deadz :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Anybody know what exactly the dart rifle does? I was hoping it would have some effect on the enemies but it just makez them deadz :(

I think the point is that it's silent. I tried doing a mission in silence but one of those yellow barrels was just too tempting :D

Oh Oh, seemed to upset a few peeps there when I offered the opinion that Far Cry 2 isn't the mutts nuts that was expected. I think peeps who like this game want to be out there with the mercs fighting the good fight in real life. However, this is gaming boys and its supposed to be interesting and above all fun. Having the mutants in Far Cry 1 livened things up and then you had two sets of enemies to fight, mercs and trigens. Far Cry 2 is like a home safari where you get to walk/run/stagger when the malaria hits for ages looking at more boring jungle. At least Far Cry 1 had hangliders for getting around.

Far Cry 2 is GTA IV with Liberty City swapped for the Jungle. Both are boring and for sale at €40 each from yours truly. Cold hard cash only please that I'll spend on something fun like Dead Space, Bioshock or (gets down on knees in anticpation) Aliens Colonial Marines. IMO thats what gaming is about, a little something that you won't get in the real world. If I want mercs fighting in Africa, I'll watch the news.

Oh Oh, seemed to upset a few peeps there when I offered the opinion that Far Cry 2 isn't the mutts nuts that was expected. I think peeps who like this game want to be out there with the mercs fighting the good fight in real life. However, this is gaming boys and its supposed to be interesting and above all fun. Having the mutants in Far Cry 1 livened things up and then you had two sets of enemies to fight, mercs and trigens. Far Cry 2 is like a home safari where you get to walk/run/stagger when the malaria hits for ages looking at more boring jungle. At least Far Cry 1 had hangliders for getting around.

Far Cry 2 is GTA IV with Liberty City swapped for the Jungle. Both are boring and for sale at €40 each from yours truly. Cold hard cash only please that I'll spend on something fun like Dead Space, Bioshock or (gets down on knees in anticpation) Aliens Colonial Marines. IMO thats what gaming is about, a little something that you won't get in the real world. If I want mercs fighting in Africa, I'll watch the news.

God you just seem to have some gripe you can't shake. no handgliders in FC2?? You obviously haven't played it properly...

Also if I wanted to watch fighting in the middle east, I'd just watch the news...sure why bother with COD4?? :rolleyes:

God you just seem to have some gripe you can't shake. no handgliders in FC2?? You obviously haven't played it properly...

Also if I wanted to watch fighting in the middle east, I'd just watch the news...sure why bother with COD4?? :rolleyes:

Nope no gripe, just my opinion (and like you I'm allowed to have one), this game is boring, just another in a long line of repetitive fps with nothing new to offer.

COD4 is a different kettle of fish in that it does what it says on the tin so you know what you're getting, i.e. a quality shooter. Far Cry 2 used the title of an earlier, ORIGINAL, game to pull people in but is is just another generic game that was all hyped up, al la GTA IV, but is nothing compared to its predecessor. If you like it then fine, you won't feel as if you've wasted your money then, unlike me. I prefer something different, like Resistance, Bioshock, Dead Space, and dare I say it again, the original Far Cry

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Nope no gripe, just my opinion (and like you I'm allowed to have one), this game is boring, just another in a long line of repetitive fps with nothing new to offer.

COD4 is a different kettle of fish in that it does what it says on the tin so you know what you're getting, i.e. a quality shooter. Far Cry 2 used the title of an earlier, ORIGINAL, game to pull people in but is is just another generic game that was all hyped up, al la GTA IV, but is nothing compared to its predecessor. If you like it then fine, you won't feel as if you've wasted your money then, unlike me. I prefer something different, like Resistance, Bioshock, Dead Space, and dare I say it again, the original Far Cry

The game was hardly hyped in fact Ubisoft only started really getting it out in the media a month before launch. I had seen the preview code a year before hand and thats it total darkness until earlier this month where the pre release buzz started.

What exactly were you looking for in this game then?

• Advertisement

Stev_o wrote: »
    What exactly where you looking for in this game then?

Awesome Hawaiian shirts.

Advertisement