Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far Cry 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I thought far cry 2 was going to be more original than it was. It is definitely a mash up of GTA4 and far cry

I agree, playing through some bits, what I felt was missing was more dynamic world system, they should have taken the whole GTA different sides element and taken that the focus is of combat and gunplay and brought out the war element more. It would have been nice if the war they talk about was much more apparant with a constant frontline system shifting back and forth and the player picking up intel on where these pushes where, which areas were getting reinforceed etc, and his actions affected the metagame (destroy ammo dumps for one side gives the other side a boost etc)

Instead the world feels empty (but very pretty) with everyone looking the same and gunning for you.

Also anyone else annoyed at the get out of jail comment they use at the start of every mission *Our guys dont know about this mission so dont expect them not to shoot you*

Though I like the fistfull of dollers nod with the two bases being in a rundown torn with a straight bit of street between them and all their thugs standing outside watching you.

the pressure when I walk from one building to the other wooo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Just plugged the xbox downstairs turn on the HD..wow!..beats the sh!t telle i had upstairs..I think im gonna have to ratio the game with fifa or something cause it jsut cant be played non stop mission after mission

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Wow everyone seems really dissapointed in this. Personally I'm having a blast, though I did get annoyed with the artificial barrier preventing you from going into the heart of darkness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I think it would have been interesting to have firefights that didn't involve your character- i.e, you could accidentally walk into them. In reality the only shots that are fired are in response to whatever you do. Very disappointing compared to what was promised. Really the only improvement is the graphics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Confab wrote: »
    Really the only improvement is the graphics.

Improvement over what?

Don't know why they gave it the name Far Cry cos its got nothing in common with any of the others, first Far Cry was by Crytek, Far Cry Instincts was a 360 game, with nothing in common with the first. Why are they giving the Far Cry name to random games, could they not think of a new name?

I'm finding this 2 repeditive, at first it excited me but its begining to bore me. AI is always the same. Think I'll be forgetting about it soon, back to a buggy Clear Sky which I've yet to finish. Hopefully Fallout 3 will keep me entertained for longer.

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Improvement over what?

Don't know why they gave it the name Far Cry cos its got nothing in common with any of the others, first Far Cry was by Crytek, Far Cry Instincts was a 360 game, with nothing in common with the first. Why are they giving the Far Cry name to random games, could they not think of a new name?

I'm finding this 2 repeditive, at first it excited me but its begining to bore me. AI is always the same. Think I'll be forgetting about it soon, back to a buggy Clear Sky which I've yet to finish. Hopefully Fallout 3 will keep me entertained for longer.

Tottally agree, i was well impressed for the first while but then the repetition of going thru same checkpoints, same boring fights, same mission types. Those bloody ai idiots in there cars chasing you down and ramming is sooo annoying. I think i'm going to trade it for something else. I can't even continue my game as im stuck on a ufll mission where i am supposed to free this captive from the cockfight arena but when i go into the room hes in he just keeps repeating "who are you?" and nothing else happens. I only have one save so theres no way im starting again. Frustrating eh??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Tottally agree, i was well impressed for the first while but then the repetition of going thru same checkpoints, same boring fights, same mission types. Those bloody ai idiots in there cars chasing you down and ramming is sooo annoying. I think i'm going to trade it for something else. I can't even continue my game as im stuck on a ufll mission where i am supposed to free this captive from the cockfight arena but when i go into the room hes in he just keeps repeating "who are you?" and nothing else happens. I only have one save so theres no way im starting again. Frustrating eh??

Isnt that the first tutorial mission :confused:

Stev_o wrote: »
    Isnt that the first tutorial mission :confused:
    No it's 20% through the game on my save, finished the tutorial missions ages ago. I'm stranded, theres no way i can cancel the mission from what i can see and i have no access to any other ones.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Only been playing this multiplayer lan, great stuff! Screw single player. Love the impacts when hitting somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Also anyone else annoyed at the get out of jail comment they use at the start of every mission *Our guys dont know about this mission so dont expect them not to shoot you*

I agree. There is a lot to like about this game. I have very few, if any, "wow" moments. Maybe we are spoilt these days? But i do think they should have had the lads say "We couldn't be arsed coding any complex team AI or scripted sequences, so everyone you meet will fire on you regardless. Now make nice with the shooting!"

I definitely think the game is an 8/10. Its a fantastic accomplishment but not ground breaking or something that will stay in my mind beyond the first play-through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Improvement over what?

Agreed...if anything they only used Far Cry 2 to flog more copies of the game...do you think anyone else would have bought a copy if it had been called someting else...
    Me?? I'm off to uninstall it and fire on old Jack Carver and have a blast at the real Far Cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I'm liking this but tedium is starting to set it. I absolutely hate those checkpoints.

Still, I'm not bored yet. Might let this slow burn over the next few weeks rather than bulldoze through it and absolutely hate those checkpoints.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm enjoying it; there are rough edges for sure but then what game doesn't (as people said, those checkpoints are annoying), and they're not stopping me from enjoying the game overall. The graphics are as amazing as the videos suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I was out today and was almost about to buy this, but all the negative comments here put me off. Probably should have got it though :(

For the checkpoints they really should have it that when it gets registered as scouted its respawn tick gets given a big jump, so it remains deserted for much much longer. That way it will allow players to clear them out and actually feel like they accomplished something rather then walking 30 metres away and getting shot in the back of the head.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    No it's 20% through the game on my save, finished the tutorial missions ages ago. I'm stranded, theres no way i can cancel the mission from what i can see and i have no access to any other ones.

there are no side quests? not even the communication arrays? Go to any of them and click on them and it will ask you if you want to abandon your current objective.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Im about 31%,and im on the mission where you have to
    either save the priest or go to mikes bar and help your friends,im just wondering,the people who are as far as me who did ye help out?if you dont help the priest will your malaria medicine stop?and if you dont help your friends will they die and be gone forever?any advice would appreciated,thanks
    Thought Id throw in the spoiler tags just incase some people aint as far as me yet :D.

was going to stay up for a bit and play it, I was half way through a really long boat trip when it crashed to the desktop. Maybe the game knows I have to be up early for work tomorrow, lol. Couldn't be bothered doing all that traveling again right now.

Some screenshots anyway, I've downsized them from 1920x1200:

Really do love those dune buggies for getting around. It's a pity there's no dirtbikes around :(

65565.jpg

65566.jpg

65567.jpg

65568.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Im about 31%,and im on the mission where you have to
    either save the priest or go to mikes bar and help your friends,im just wondering,the people who are as far as me who did ye help out?if you dont help the priest will your malaria medicine stop?and if you dont help your friends will they die and be gone forever?any advice would appreciated,thanks
    Thought Id throw in the spoiler tags just incase some people aint as far as me yet :D.
    I went to Mikes bar to help my buddies. All I will say is what happened next seemed pretty scripted. i.e. nothing I could do about it. It is basically the entry point to the southern area and I don't see any specific consequences to doing this over going to the church. Might affect your reputation in some way but I have stopped for now so I can't say what will happen down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

The AI are so stupid its depressing.

Its nearly as bad as single player BF2

Aside from that the game is alright, though a nice selection of vehicles wouldve been nice..and locations.

I think a more urban setting couldve been better, instead of shanty towns in the jungle

All AI and "Buddies" seem devoid of character and life...the only decent one is that old russian fella. Bless him

When i complete the main part...i plan to kill off the rest of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I love the Russian guy. He reminds me of Ivan from Jagged Alliance.

Yeah I let my first buddy die, I just got sick of his constant "booyah!" or "get some!" slogans whenever I'd walk away from him.

Thing is he didn't even let me know he was dying. One of the buildings was on fire and I hear him shout "hey watch out for the fire" then later I come over, and where was he... inside the freaking building on fire??? You'd think he would of called for help or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Yeah I let my first buddy die, I just got sick of his constant "booyah!" or "get some!" slogans whenever I'd walk away from him.

Thing is he didn't even let me know he was dying. One of the buildings was on fire and I hear him shout "hey watch out for the fire" then later I come over, and where was he... inside the freaking building on fire??? You'd think he would of called for help or something.

I lost 2 of them....I blew one guy away as a "mercy killing"..the only mercy being for me as he was wrecking my head..

And the second one was that Cuban girl, who decided to go check out what the popping sound was....turned out to be an exploding ammo crate :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I haven't even played it yet and I already hate the checkpoints.

I wish they'd ironed out the buddy system more. I mean there should be a way of shouting commands at your buddy, or even him telling what he's doing. Half the time I don't even know where he is.

Also, the game really doesn't like when you remap keys. I'm a lefty and use the non-standard "8456" and certain things like changing seats in trucks and letting go of mounted machine guns won't work. So I've had to map their default buttons (i.e. "c" for changing seats and "e" for letting go of mounted machine guns) to buttons on my mouse (thankfully I have 10 of them, lol :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Am i the only one still enjoying it? I mean yeah it gets repetitive but honestly what game doesnt? Though its becoming fairly easy know once i bought the Barret and parred it up with a Uzi. There's some great moments in the game where your basically saying "oh f*ck" over and over again in fact i was on ts talking to mates of mine when one such event happened and had to shut up for 5 minutes so i could sort the situation out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

L31mr0d,any idea why it keeps crashing for you?

L31mr0d,any idea why it keeps crashing for you?

Memory leaks maybe. I dunno, it's a wide spread issue anyway that a lot of people on Vista seem to be experiencing atm. There'll probably be a patch out in the next week or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Memory leaks maybe. I dunno, it's a wide spread issue anyway that a lot of people on Vista seem to be experiencing atm. There'll probably be a patch out in the next week or so.

Getting the same here, totally random, Vista 64 also. I just make sure to quicksave often

• Advertisement

Stev_o wrote: »
    Am i the only one still enjoying it? I mean yeah it gets repetitive but honestly what game doesnt? Though its becoming fairly easy know once i bought the Barret and parred it up with a Uzi. There's some great moments in the game where your basically saying "oh f*ck" over and over again in fact i was on ts talking to mates of mine when one such event happened and had to shut up for 5 minutes so i could sort the situation out.

nah man Im enjoying it too,I reckon it could be a real contender for game of the year :D.

Advertisement