Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N9 Carlow Bypass-when will it open?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭patrickc

it looks almost ready now, theres speed limit signs up, they were doing road markings on the slip roads today i noticed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Bards

patrickc wrote: »
    it looks almost ready now, theres speed limit signs up, they were doing road markings on the slip roads today i noticed too.

so it looks as though we're on target for an opening before easter

edit:
    just passed Powerstown this morning and it doesn't look near finished, however I am pleased to report that Blue Motorway signs are installed, so it looks like this road will open with a 120Km/h limit

Bards wrote: »
    so it looks as though we're on target for an opening before easter

edit:
    just passed Powerstown this morning and it doesn't look near finished, however I am pleased to report that Blue Motorway signs are installed, so it looks like this road will open with a 120Km/h limit

the castledermot section looks well ready, i noticed the 120kph signs too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭ilovegermany

Hi

Does anybody know if the Kilcullen to Carlow Bypass Scheme has started construction?

I was driving up yesterday and i'm nearly sure i saw some fairly heavy construction works happening where the Athy link road will be going (the entire route appears fenced off and ready for action)

I havent heard anything from the NRA etc regarding the start of it though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Any word around Carlow yet as to when it'll open?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭ilovegermany

i rang the NRA the other day

They said that they were hopeful for the 'start of May' for the opening of the Carlow Bypass!

Hi

Does anybody know if the Kilcullen to Carlow Bypass Scheme has started construction?

I was driving up yesterday and i'm nearly sure i saw some fairly heavy construction works happening where the Athy link road will be going (the entire route appears fenced off and ready for action)

I was driving up to dublin the other day and notice, trees been cut and a fence been marked off at the end of the 80kph stretch towards dublin, looks like it's at least being marked out

i rang the NRA the other day

They said that they were hopeful for the 'start of May' for the opening of the Carlow Bypass!

thats not easter....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Anyone else dying to break onto the road late at night and put the boot down?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Anyone else dying to break onto the road late at night and put the boot down?!

YES!!! SOOOO MUCH!!!!!

I was also thinking that if I had a quad or ATV I'd love to just take a spin down the site for a look at how its progressing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭bottletops

I heard from a guy working for Ascon on the proj that they are pushing to get it open this week!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Carlow section is just about ready to go. But only as far as Castle dermot. You'll still end up stuck there.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

Hi Passed by today at the kilkenny end. Looks like they are getting ready to put up lights and signage. Cant see it been open this week as they keep saying the summer. ANyway I was wondering why they are putting up the blue motorway signs I thought it wouldnt be motorway speads until all of the M9 opens in 2 years? Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Motorway signs until they get to the ends, like the existing M7, after the last junction for the people who can't use it get off, it goes blue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Hi

The bypass looks ready at the junction with the N80. For the Section between Kilcullen and Carlow

www.transport21.ie/PROJECTS/ROADS/N9_Dublin_to_Waterford.html

Thanks to our friends over at SABRE more photo's can be found here

http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=150

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Anybody have an opening date yet?!

no official date yet, but judging by the new markings before castle d today yield signs and markings coming off the bypass, id give it 2/3 weeks max

what is the southern end like now?, as the last time I passed (three weeks ago) it was far from finished

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 angryaine

any news on the opening yet?
    Bards wrote: »
    what is the southern end like now?, as the last time I passed (three weeks ago) it was far from finished

• Advertisement

they seemed to be resurfacing the on ramps in castledermot yesterday.

Am i right in saying that this phase of the road runs from the dump on the Kilkenny road to the carlow side of Castledermot?

If so... I won't get to use it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Exactly, starts at Powerstown dump, bypasses Carlow to the East through Tinryland area with an intersection with the N80 before rejoining the N9 just South of Castledermot (oh the jams!!).

Have a look at the map on the NRA site and you'll see it in detail. (file size ~ 600kb)

http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/KildareCountyCouncil/N9N10CarlowBypass/Map,11523,en.pdf

ah man that sucks.... why couldn't they continue this phase to bypass Castledermot.
    I don't think coming home will be bad, but the morning traffic going throw Castledermot is gonna be horrific!!!

ShayK1 wrote: »
    they seemed to be resurfacing the on ramps in castledermot yesterday.

Am i right in saying that this phase of the road runs from the dump on the Kilkenny road to the carlow side of Castledermot?

If so... I won't get to use it...
    ah man that sucks.... why couldn't they continue this phase to bypass Castledermot.
    I don't think coming home will be bad, but the morning traffic going throw Castledermot is gonna be horrific!!!

yeh they have them resurfaced a little while , so that end is ready to go

use the back road around castled its quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭sk8board

will it though? It could be the case that there whouldn't be any more cars using that stretch of road until the waterford part is opened, give or take.
    It just means that the traffic currently travelling north through Carlow will still be going through castledermot in the same numbers.
    so traffic in Carlow drops, and in CDermot stays roughly the same

sk8board wrote: »
    will it though? It could be the case that there whouldn't be any more cars using that stretch of road until the waterford part is opened, give or take.
    It just means that the traffic currently travelling north through Carlow will still be going through castledermot in the same numbers.
    so traffic in Carlow drops, and in CDermot stays roughly the same

Traffic will stay the same but its gonna be a bottle neck. 2 lane motorway into a 1 land road. Thats never good. plus.... coming from carlow we'll have to yield to the ring. ie: all the motorway traffic.

yeh they have them resurfaced a little while , so that end is ready to go

use the back road around castled its quicker

They did resurface them but yesterday and today they looked like dirt roads.... maybe they're just dirty??
    I sometimes use the back road coming home. I'm not convinced that its quicker yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

I heard the soil banks washed away with heavy rain that is causing the delays

They did resurface them but yesterday and today they looked like dirt roads.... maybe they're just dirty??
    I sometimes use the back road coming home. I'm not convinced that its quicker yet..

yeh coming home this morning one looked very dirty alright.

the back road is not as quick coming down because getting out at the junction is hard, but it'll be grand once the bypass opens, as traffic wont be going onto that bit of road where you have to pull out as much.

• Advertisement

yeh coming home this morning one looked very dirty alright.

the back road is not as quick coming down because getting out at the junction is hard, but it'll be grand once the bypass opens, as traffic wont be going onto that bit of road where you have to pull out as much.

yeah that's true too. Guess we'll just have to wait and see

Advertisement