Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N9 Carlow Bypass-when will it open?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

hehe dump.

OT(ish), I was driving over the bridge on the Tullow Carlow main road and looked down at that nice long empty straight road,............ damn I'd a love a good car to break onto it with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

So has the opening been delayed until August, as per the rumour going around, or is it imminent? Now that the reshuffle is out of the way, maybe the way is clear for an announcement on who will open it and when...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Anybody got an idea when exactly it will open now? The council said early may and it's now the 2nd week :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

I was chatting to one of the engineers on Sunday night and he told me that all of the machines that they had there have been taken off of hire and sent back to the hire companys and there are only a few guys left around finishing off some basic jobs nothing major.

Most of the ascon crew have been moved on to the new job they have outside Portlaoise and decision is now entirely up to teh council as to when they open the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

ah the council.....gods answer to not working and not caring....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭patrickc

tommycahir wrote: »
    I was chatting to one of the engineers on Sunday night and he told me that all of the machines that they had there have been taken off of hire and sent back to the hire companys and there are only a few guys left around finishing off some basic jobs nothing major.

Most of the ascon crew have been moved on to the new job they have outside Portlaoise and decision is now entirely up to teh council as to when they open the road.

i.e when they can get some TD or other to open it...

i noticed that alright, no machinery and everything looks completed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

aynon wrote: »
    ah the council.....gods answer to not working and not caring....

:D
    The guy even said that they had passed the NRA safety test and they had told the council that once the decision is made for an open date they will come back 2 days before had and giv eit a full sweep from one end to the other.

When passing the priory in lately they look as if they are starting to prepare to divert traffic so that they can build the bridge in a similar fashion as to what they have done outside carlow. Which means more delays on that bloody road :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭Bards

Looks like they will have missed the 24 Month deadline by the time it officially opens - this Speech is from 11th May 2006 and it is now 13th May 2008
    =========================================================
    Delivery in 24 months will remove 9000 vehicles from Carlow's streets

N9 Waterford to Dublin Motorway to take 56-minutes off journey

The new 19km Carlow Bypass project started today (11th May, 2006) and will see over 9,000 vehicles a day removed from Carlow's streets. The project, which will be completed in just 24-months, is also another major step in the N9 Waterford to Dublin Motorway. The N9 will open in 2010 and take 56-minutes off the Waterford to Dublin journey.

Speaking in Carlow where he turned the sod on the Bypass, Transport Minister, Martin Cullen said: "Inside the next three and a half years, we will build 110km of new road from Waterford to Dublin and in doing so, transform the lives of people who have been taking this journey for many years.

"The Carlow Bypass becomes the second leg of the N9 to have started, with the Waterford City Bypass now also in construction. The Carlow to Waterford section is next, with work to start on the first stage of this section later this year. The final leg, Carlow to Kilcullen and Carlow to Knocktopher which are well advanced and through statutory procedure stage, will follow. These projects and the newly improved Naas Road only weeks away from completion, mean that by 2010, 56-minutes will be knocked off the journey from Waterford to Dublin. That's real improvement."

Minister Cullen said many people would gain from the Carlow Bypass. He said: "It will mean time savings of 30 minutes to people in peak time journeys. 9,000 vehicles a day, many of them large trucks, will be removed from Carlow town, freeing up streets like Barrack Street, Tullow Street and Dublin Street. This is particularly significant, given the expansion of Carlow as a shopping destination in recent times. It is also important to emphasise again that better roads have a huge road safety dividend."

Minister Cullen also announced an update on the Government's road investment programme. "With the Carlow Bypass now starting, it means work is underway on 25 road projects totalling 234kms. Work will start on 15 new projects this year, trebling the average number of starts in the past three years. 13 other key projects will also be completed this year. And crucially, we are delivering projects, on budget and ahead of schedule.

"Projects like this are not just about tarmac, diggers or concrete. We are not building roads to admire them - we are building them because they make it possible to protect and grow job opportunities and to protect and grow community life in all parts of our country", he said.

Attending the sod turning, NRA Chairman, Peter Malone said: "Work kicks off today on the billion euro road linking Dublin and Waterford which, when completed, will radically transform the road network serving the southeast of the country.

"It is one of 5 major Inter-Urban motorways to be delivered by the National Roads Authority (NRA) under the Governments Transport 21 Plan.

The Carlow bypass is the one of a four- phase 110km road project to commence on the N9, a route of both national and regional importance. When completed in 24 months the benefits will be immediate, not only to the people of Carlow and Kildare but for everyone travelling between the Capital and the Viking City of Waterford. It will provide for much safer travel for motorists while at the same time facilitating economic and tourism growth in the region. The evidence of this can be seen across the country with the roll out of the biggest ever roads programme in the history of the state", he said.

ENDS

So basically we are just waiting on the council to decide on a date to open the new road. Seems crazy to me when it is finished, you should just open it immediately and put Carlow as a bottlekneck in the history books where it belongs

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

Seen it looks fairly class i have to say. Carlow is usually busy anytime i have gone up there in regards to traffic will be a good thing for the town. Just like the bypass in Arklow it will improve the town's traffic congestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Supposedly the end bit near Powerstown Dump isn't completely finished yet. So it'll be another while yet. Most of this shouldn't require heavy machinery.

I did also hear the opening was postponed for a while. August or so?

Paul

Seems like hearsay, anybody got anything SOLID to add here :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭bottletops

I emailed Carlow Co Co and the reply was:

..... drum roll please.........
    No date has been decided yet. Awaiting date NRA
    ;)

....which is another way of saying....

we are waiting to hear from Noel Dempsey's secretary on a date he will be available to perform the ribbon cutting

Bards wrote: »
    ....which is another way of saying....

we are waiting to hear from Noel Dempsey's secretary on a date he will be available to perform the ribbon cutting

Sure maybe the Dail will be on holidays soon, sure whats the rush....leave til next October when they return ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The delay in opening the Carlow bypass was discussed on Anne-Marie Kelly's morning show on Today FM this morning. I can't remember the details of what was said, because I was drifting in and out of sleep at the time, however as I recall, the discussion pretty much mirrored ours here!

Had a look at it today as I had to go to KK twice. It looks very much complete on the dump side anyways. There's a youtube video of it where someone drives from end to end.

Should open soon hopefully :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Thats the one Shay

flamegrill wrote: »
    Thats the one Shay

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

Saw a big water bowser going out towards powerstown this morning. Might be on its way for the final cleaning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭bottletops

Just got a reply from NRA on when its opening...
    Dear Mr. xxxxx,

The exact date has not yet been decided, however, it is likely to be within the next month (end of May/early June).

Regards,

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Programme Administrator
    National Roads Authority
    St. Martin's House
    Waterloo Road
    Dublin 4
    Tel 660 25xx
    Fax 660 16xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭inarut

Just heard in the last hour from reliable sources that the Carlow bypass will be finally opened to traffic on Thursday afternoon next, May 29th.

inarut wrote: »
    Just heard in the last hour from reliable sources that the Carlow bypass will be finally opened to traffic on Thursday afternoon next, May 29th.

I'm still sceptical. I'll believe it when I can spell it.... I mean .... see it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭inarut

I've always been sceptical about the opening myself but I just heard it from two "very reliable sources" involved in the project. This is also the allocated date for the Minister to officially open the bypass.

i heard tonight, the 2nd week in June so who knows, nothing official yet announced

It's now official that on the afternoon of Thursday 29th May the Carlow Bypass will be opened

from http://www.nra.ie/News/NewsAnnouncements/htmltext,14694,en.html
    ==========================================
    The Carlow Bypass will officially open on the afternoon of the 29th May 2008 by the Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey T.D.
    The Minister for Transport Mr. Noel Dempsey T.D., will officially open the Carlow Bypass on Thursday afternoon the 29th May 2008.

cool!! Good news!!

Bards wrote: »
    It's now official that on the afternoon of Thursday 29th May the Carlow Bypass will be opened

from http://www.nra.ie/News/NewsAnnouncements/htmltext,14694,en.html
    ==========================================
    The Carlow Bypass will officially open on the afternoon of the 29th May 2008 by the Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey T.D.
    The Minister for Transport Mr. Noel Dempsey T.D., will officially open the Carlow Bypass on Thursday afternoon the 29th May 2008.

excellent, lets see how castledermot holds up ....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Good stuff, will make travelling to Dublin that bit easier. Pitty that more of it isnt completed :P

Advertisement