Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is O'Driscoll Out?????

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,596 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ponster wrote:
    Tewhata has been suspended by his club for 2 matches and by the French Fed. of Rugby indefinitaly until the results of the report are known.
    A two match ban....big time punishment and suspended until the report.
    I could almost bet my life that this report will find NOTHING serious happened and maybe suspend him for a further two matches....lets wait and see:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

what did mccrae get? and how many game did he miss?

how many games will this kiwi miss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ALH-06

RuggieBear wrote:
    I'd argue that the game has to clean up further still as the pro rugby players are much much bigger and stronger and are capable of doing much more serious damage to each other.

Exactly, spot on Ruggie. Those two clips were of 12 stone men swinging wildly at eachother, hardly making any contact at all. Dont think any of them would have suffered a bruise, let alone fractured sinus or anything like it!

If a modern, professional, 17 stone rugby player took a swing at you you'd either know ALL about it or else wake up several days later in a hospital bed. So we're not comparing like with like at all!

Those clips were filthy, but still nothing compared to BOD being spear-tackled IMO. Worst single incident on the rugby pitch that I can remember. Players are probably more subtle now, but that doesnt mean the game has cleaned up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭The Rooster

daveirl wrote:
    Broadly speaking the maxillary sinus is part of what is commonly called the cheekbone.

The key isnt the name of the bone, its that the fracture does not require surgery. Or so we're told anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

marco_polo wrote:
    Wouldn't dismiss the Argies an the back of that performance

True but I'm talking over a period of many years. They are improving and are probably a bit better than 2003 but maybe not as good as 99. We are lightyears from where we were in 99 and better and more experienced than 2003. We are a better team than Argentina we just have to go out, perform well and show how good we are then we will win. If we don't play well then we could very well lose the game. However we should win it.
    marco_polo wrote:
    Wales were really lucky to win in the end.
    Wales are on the downslope at the moment, still capable of the odd good display but consistently inconsistent with very little solidity. They need to shape up and in a couple of years could be a force but I don't see them blowing me away at the WC. A single very good game perhaps but they are in worse shape than us.
    marco_polo wrote:
    they will be a much more coherant and dangerous unit come September.
    They will but again we are a better team. If we perform we will win. And I'm utterly confident we will win the game - maybe not convincingly, maybe not prettyily but we will win.

It's France thats going to be the make or break game for us. Lose it we're out win it and we might make the final
    CJhaughey wrote:
    Hmm I'll believe that BOD is playing in the RWC when I see him line out in the RWC.
    Until then I will reserve judgement about his injury being "only" a fractured sinus, there is a lot of money at stake regarding his appearance this year.

Don't really see any reason for Eddie to lie. He has the injury he has, whether he will recover in the time specified we can only hope and trust the doctors and BOD's body. AS for the money comment take your conspiracy theories back to Ronaldo circa 1998 Soccer WC

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

walshb wrote:
    A two match ban....big time punishment and suspended until the report.
    I could almost bet my life that this report will find NOTHING serious happened and maybe suspend him for a further two matches....lets wait and see:)

Punching a player has always been severly punished by all unions in the last number of years.

In this case it was his CLUB that suspended him for two games so it is meaningless and has no offfical weight, probably a lame attempt to preempt the FFR from taking proper action against him. The FFR president Bernard Lapasset has been quoted as taking a very serious view of the incident and I expect a lenghty ban will be applied to the player in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

daveirl wrote:

I was pointing out that in this, as in other int'l discussions, a lot of people do have a biased view and as I said a lot of Leinster fans have gone way overboard by calling for lifetime bans etc, it wasn't aimed solely at you!
    daveirl wrote:

I think that by saying that "these things happen" it is some form of justification/acceptance. I'm not a shrinking violet, god knows I've been on the recieving (and dispatching ;) ) end of a few punches in my time, but cowardly, cheap shots like that have no place in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

There is so much ill informed drivel being spouted on this forum,

Heat of the moment a punch was thrown, boy wonder was hurt and now everyone with an internet connection is up in arms at the horrors taking place in modern game of rugby.

The rugby authorities are working to clean up the game all the time, players are cited and punished for committing illegal acts on the pitch but the punishment has to fit the crime. Eight weeks is quite a long time during a rugby season.

Anyone who doesn’t think the game has cleaned up never went to Young Munster’s “Killing Fields” before RTE started covering the AIL. All rugby boards will continue to punish players for incidences like this, video-taping games makes it easy to identify players and they will be punished. Calling Tewhata a thug is ignorant, unless someone can show me several examples of him deliberately injuring players I’d give him the benefit of the doubt.

Onto walshb, I don’t mean to pick on you but you’ve been one of the busier posters. I really don't think you have a clue what you are talking about, the way you are going on you'd swear the Bayonne pack gang raped him. During a scuffle a player threw a punch, as Dave said you would struggle to field a thug free team if we were to go by your holier than definition.

Punches shouldn't happen in rugby, violent incidences shouldn't happen on rugby pitch but the reality is they probably always will, at least for the considerable future. I'd love to see a re-branded version of rugby where any player caught committing a violent act is banned for life.. oh wait, I wouldn't. I’m not condoning it but it’s a hard physical sport it’s easy for a player to hit the red mist, it’s reality of the environment.

You can all say what you like but the only reason this is causing such a furore is because it's O'Driscol. Don't get me wrong I panicked when I read our best player might be a doubt for the world cup but is it too much to ask for a little bit of perspective on all this?
    ALH-06 wrote:
    Those clips were filthy, but still nothing compared to BOD being spear-tackled IMO. Worst single incident on the rugby pitch that I can remember. Players are probably more subtle now, but that doesnt mean the game has cleaned up...

I'm going to assume you've only watched one game of rugby then? One of the worst storms to ever hit a teacup.

Before everyone jumps on me for defending "thugs", I played rugby semi-professionally for years in Ireland and abroad and I’m proud to say I've a spotless disciplinary record (I’ve never even been binned) but there were times when I was close to the edge and anytime I was close to lashing out usually involved seeing someone trying to hurt one of my team mates.

You can walk away from things easily enough when they’re inflicted on you but it's a different story when you see one of your own players in trouble. Tewhata said himself he saw BoD scuffling with one of his players and took a swing. Cameras may show BoD trying to break up a fight but that clearly wasn’t Twehata take on it. Yes he was wrong to do it but he has apologised, hopefully O’Driscol will be back for game three and we can forget all about the gang rapist of Bayonne.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SPORT/08/18/rugby.punch/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,596 ✭✭✭✭walshb

the fnj wrote:
    There is so much ill informed drivel being spouted on this forum,

Heat of the moment a punch was thrown, boy wonder was hurt and now everyone with an internet connection is up in arms at the horrors taking place in modern game of rugby.

The rugby authorities are working to clean up the game all the time, players are cited and punished for committing illegal acts on the pitch but the punishment has to fit the crime. Eight weeks is quite a long time during a rugby season.

Anyone who doesn’t think the game has cleaned up never went to Young Munster’s “Killing Fields” before RTE started covering the AIL. All rugby boards will continue to punish players for incidences like this, video-taping games makes it easy to identify players and they will be punished. Calling Tewhata a thug is ignorant, unless someone can show me several examples of him deliberately injuring players I’d give him the benefit of the doubt.

Onto walshb, I don’t mean to pick on you but you’ve been one of the busier posters. I really don't think you have a clue what you are talking about, the way you are going on you'd swear the Bayonne pack gang raped him. During a scuffle a player threw a punch, as Dave said you would struggle to field a thug free team if we were to go by your holier than definition.

Punches shouldn't happen in rugby, violent incidences shouldn't happen on rugby pitch but the reality is they probably always will, at least for the considerable future. I'd love to see a re-branded version of rugby where any player caught committing a violent act is banned for life.. oh wait, I wouldn't. I’m not condoning it but it’s a hard physical sport it’s easy for a player to hit the red mist, it’s reality of the environment.

You can all say what you like but the only reason this is causing such a furore is because it's O'Driscol. Don't get me wrong I panicked when I read our best player might be a doubt for the world cup but is it too much to ask for a little bit of perspective on all this?

I'm going to assume you've only watched one game of rugby then? One of the worst storms to ever hit a teacup.

Before everyone jumps on me for defending "thugs", I played rugby semi-professionally for years in Ireland and abroad and I’m proud to say I've a spotless disciplinary record (I’ve never even been binned) but there were times when I was close to the edge and anytime I was close to lashing out usually involved seeing someone trying to hurt one of my team mates.

You can walk away from things easily enough when they’re inflicted on you but it's a different story when you see one of your own players in trouble. Tewhata said himself he saw BoD scuffling with one of his players and took a swing. Cameras may show BoD trying to break up a fight but that clearly wasn’t Twehata take on it. Yes he was wrong to do it but he has apologised, hopefully O’Driscol will be back for game three and we can forget all about the gang rapist of Bayonne.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SPORT/08/18/rugby.punch/index.html
    I might not know everything about rugby, but you don't read properly.
    It's simple....what happened to BOD was that a player fractured his sinus in
    a deliberate act. An act that BOD was not aware of. This is completely different than two guys squaring off against each other and it is common assault. Part of the game my ar**....

Now the authorities are basically allowing this with their lenient attitude to it.
    Like I said, if they got seriously tough then the vast majority of these cowardly thugs, which is what that KIWI is, would think twice about these disgusting cowardly acts. Why is it that if someone doesn't agree with scum behaviour on a rugby pitch, they are sissies or don't understand the game. How sad is that...I love rugby and I love a hard physical game, but incidents like what happened to BOD have absolute no place ever on a rugby pitch.

And not only do you not read properly, but you actually take the KIWI'S apology as sincere.
    New levels of naievity here I see. The guy is an out and out coward who walloped a man who never had a chance. Some man he is.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

walshb wrote:
    Now the authorities are basically allowing this with their lenient attitude to it.

As said already, he will probably get an eight week ban, I don't think that's very lenient. What punishment would you propose? Chop off the offending hand?
    Like I said, if they got seriously tough then the vast majority of these cowardly thugs, which is what that KIWI is, would think twice about these disgusting cowardly acts.

If he is a thug can you please give more examples of his thuggish behaviour, he is twenty seven and has been binned twice in his career for technicalities, he really doesn't sound like a thug to me. If this was a guy with a history of throwing cheap shots I'd agree with you, but one punch, in one isolated incident on a rugby pitch does not make a thug. I've seen O'Driscol swing at players, is he also a thug?
    Why is it that if someone doesn't agree with scum behaviour on a rugby pitch, they are sissies or don't understand the game. How sad is that...I love rugby and I love a hard physical game, but incidents like what happened to BOD have absolute no place ever on a rugby pitch.

I never condoned violent behaviour and I didn't call anyone a "sissy", but the reality is someone with experience playing is going to have a better understanding of the game than someone who hasn't.

You said earlier your background is boxing, I never done it but I'm sure a big part of it is controlled aggression (I'm open for correction on that), however in boxing you never have to react to seeing one of your own players getting hurt (while in a position to stop it of course). These guys are pros, they train together everyday, they've been taught to work as a unit and to protect each other on the pitch, they have a bond and a sense of comradery few will understand. It's easy to sit at a computer terminal and criticise Tewhata but I'm arguing that he saw O'Driscol scuffling with one of his players and moved to defend the player, it's a very understandable reaction in the heat of the moment. He was very wrong to throw a punch but calling him a thug and expecting him to be dragged across the coals is wrong.

You are posting about a game you claim not to understand, criticising disciplinary procedures that I doubt you are very well informed on and calling players thugs based on one moment in a game. It's people like you that give rugby a bad name for being too violent, sanctimonious but ultimately clueless trying to apply make believe standards to what is a great sport. I don't like seeing incidents like this one but I get even more annoyed by the overreactions that take place every time something like this happens.
    New levels of naievity here I see. The guy is an out and out coward who walloped a man who never had a chance. Some man he is.......

How would you feel if I was posting on the boxing forum accusing you of being naive, I wish I was confident enough to accuse someone in a far better position than me to evaluate what happened of being naive.

Advertisement