Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is O'Driscoll Out?????

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,596 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I have no symapthy for any of them including O'Driscoll.
    The problem in Rugby is that nobody will take a stand to
    put an end to this disgusting behavior. I guarnatee that NO action
    will be taken and should I be wrong, it will be no more than a silly
    ban for a month or less. The whole system is corrupt and weak and IMO no player should ever have to suffer as many have, through disgusting blatant assault. But if the Rugby world keep insisting on pushing it under the carpet
    and not taking action, then it's tough bleedin luck. Brian will be very lucky if the Irish authorities even investigate the matter properly. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

None of us were there. From my reading of the match reports it seems that it was a pretty heated affair for most of the second half.

In one report, the manager of Bayonne said that while his players were individually rough, the Irish did it as a team. Sounds to me like they gave as good as they got.

Don't get me wrong, it's a bit of a disaster losing him like this, however this is rugby. It's a hard game and punches do get thrown.

However if BO'D was singled out for treatment, then a lengthy ban and hefty fine are in order.

None of us were there. From my reading of the match reports it seems that it was a pretty heated affair for most of the second half.

In one report, the manager of Bayonne said that while his players were individually rough, the Irish did it as a team. Sounds to me like they gave as good as they got.

Don't get me wrong, it's a bit of a disaster losing him like this, however this is rugby. It's a hard game and punches do get thrown.

However if BO'D was singled out for treatment, then a lengthy ban and hefty fine are in order.
    Punches get thrown by thugs and payers who are not fit to play. I have no problem with a 50/50 scuffle or scrap because in any hard contact sport apart from boxing, you will get the illegal punches. But it's the blatant vicious punches, kick, gouges etc etc when one player doesn't stand a chance. It comes from nowhere. O'Driscoll was almost killled during the Lions tour, is this all part of the game?...However, the authorities and players are the reason this is continually allowed to happen and to me it's disgusting. But if they are fine with it, well I am not going to lose any sleep or shed any tears, for any of them

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

walshb wrote:
    Punches get thrown by thugs and payers who are not fit to play. I have no problem with a 50/50 scuffle or scrap because in any hard contact sport apart from boxing, you will get the illegal punches. But it's the blatant vicious punches, kick, gouges etc etc when one player doesn't stand a chance. It comes from nowhere. O'Driscoll was almost killled during the Lions tour, is this all part of the game?...However, the authorities and players are the reason this is continually allowed to happen and to me it's disgusting. But if they are fine with it, well I am not going to lose any sleep or shed any tears, for any of them

yes.

I dislike this attitude that if you are against thuggish behaviour on the field you are somehow a bit 'soft'. I enjoy a physical game- within the rules- as much anyone but punching people and dangerous tackling should not be seen to be part of the game in my view. you wouldn't accept someone punching you in the face on the street as being okay, so why accept it on a Rugby pitch.

yes.

I dislike this attitude that if you are against thuggish behaviour on the field you are somehow a bit 'soft'. I enjoy a physical game- within the rules- as much anyone but punching people and dangerous tackling should not be seen to be part of the game in my view. you wouldn't accept someone punching you in the face on the street as being okay, so why accept it on a Rugby pitch.
    Spot on. I too love a hard physical, but FAIR game....I despise thuggish behaviour and especially when one of the players targets another player in the most devious and cowardly way, and then gets away with it because the authorities and players accept it as 'part of the game'...they are all part of the problem.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭antod

this game should had never taken place .stupid planning going over
    to france and coming back again next week to play italy in the north.
    cant wait for another boring book and dvd from brian to bore the hell out of us telling us all about it,plus i cant remember the last time he last played
    outstanding for ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Jesus Dave! Every time I read a post of yours I want to QFT it! Once again, I couldn't agree more!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

daveirl wrote:

a few points:
    (1) I have played the game.
    (2) Nowhere in my posts did i advocate banning this player for life.
    (3) I don't make exceptions for dirty play because the player is Irish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

daveirl wrote:

It does sound like you are defending him !
    That article in the mail , made me want to puke , the "Thug" is making money out of his thuggish behaviour !
    And i'd hardly call O'Driscoll dirty, cometetive and strong yes --

it was a cheap shot , and much the same way if that other thug from down under (McCrae) made money , from his hammering of o'gara against the lions , i would be mad -- appartently there was reports of that other manly act "gouging" -- surprisingly carried out by the French

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

guys,im so glad that bod isnt hurt too bad,but i think we are all forgetting that most players regard him as one of the most aggresive and dirtiest players around,from reading interview and hensons book he comes across as being a thug on the pitch.obviously i will defend him against people bad mouthing but i reckon that their are two sides to this story.after all the guy says that he was defending a younger player,tbh i dont believe that after seing the vid but im glad he is ok as he is crucial to the campaign.

just off topic abit,what would you guys see as a good result in the world cup for ireland becuase as far as im concerned if we dont win the world cup i will be dissapointed.i feel we have the beatings of every team exept the maybe all blacks and france,if france come out with their dodgy side and we beat them i think we have a briliant chance, becuase we all know two french teams can come out either the team who will beat anyone on their day or the team that can be beaten and as the all blacks go,they showed in the tri nations they are beatable and i think at the stadium we will have more support and it will go in our favour.just reading their aswell that the kiwis etc dont think ireland have a chance againt argentina?thought this was a bit wierd?
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

daveirl wrote:
    It's interesting O'Connell and O'Callaghan were nowhere near the altercation.
    I doubt you'd ever see that from Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

DC69 have you any quotes from Hensons book about O Driscolls thuggish behaviour.
    I personally wouldnt believe that overrated premadonnas oath.
    And his career seems to be going the right direction down the toilet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

sickpuppy wrote:
    DC69 have you any quotes from Hensons book about O Driscolls thuggish behaviour.

Err, he is right though. I have no idea of what people think about him in Ireland but in the rest of the 6-nation countries O Driscoll is often considered to be one of the dirtiest players (mostly stamping) in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

sickpuppy wrote:

lol Henson has a book? I presume it's a fiction novel not an auto biography? Cos he has feck all to write about.

Chapter 1
    Tait tackle
    Chapter 2
    Long range penalty
    Chapter 3
    Lions sulk

Thats about it as far as I remember his career, suppose he is at the right stage in his career to write it tho.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

One mans stamp is anothers mans rucking.
    He can use his feet if cheating basterds on other team are lying all over the ball stopping its quick release.
    I have never seen him do a Clohessy on it and stamp on someones head if they lie on wrong side of ruck they deserve a bit of footsy.
    Hensons book was called my story 3 nobel literature awards and counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

True, but noone fúckéd with the Claw now did they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

sickpuppy wrote:
    One mans stamp is anothers mans rucking.
    He can use his feet if cheating basterds on other team are lying all over the ball stopping its quick release.
    I have never seen him do a Clohessy on it and stamp on someones head if they lie on wrong side of ruck they deserve a bit of footsy.
    Hensons book was called my story 3 nobel literature awards and counting.

Eh what? There a massive difference between stamping and rucking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

Ponster wrote:
    Err, he is right though. I have no idea of what people think about him in Ireland but in the rest of the 6-nation countries O Driscoll is often considered to be one of the dirtiest players (mostly stamping) in the game.

To be honest i've watched O'Driscoll for years and would completely disagree with the statement that Brian O'Driscoll is a dirty player it's simply untrue it's only natural for people to hate the best.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

tbh dave i disagree wth you.

imo if you throw a punch you should be banned. Zero tolerance for that and stamping, biting, gouging, bag snatching etc.. it's the only way to stop it.

I meet lots of parent who will not let their sons/daughters play because of the violence associated with the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I doubt that somehow, How would that do the team any good when they eventually find out what the story is? Still story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Junior

Everyone seems to be saying Drico is a dirty player, if he is how is he getting away with it so long ? Is it the opinion of people then that the ref is completely missing what he's doing or just ignoring it cos it's Drico ?

I don't think you can have it both ways, Drico I think competes for everything 110%, if some people see that as being dirty I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

daveirl wrote:

I don't think its the fact that he threw a punch that p!ssed so many people off, its the manner of it. O'D was involved (more pushing than "strangling" as has been suggested) with another player and this guy took a cowardly swipe when he wasn't even looking in his direction.

I can't accept an excuse for that, it was cowardice on a par with McRaes assault on ROG on Lions tour. Fair enough if 2 lads go toe to toe, you can say thats part of the game but this type of thing certainly isn't, by that logic then biting/gouging is also part of the game.

It's disappointing when people let provincial bias cloud their judgement on int'l issues like this, I mean that both ways, as in Leinster fans overreaction in some cases and some munster lads attempting to defend it, POC was still livid in his column in the Times today and think that's a good indicator of how bad it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ALH-06

The sheer amount of anti-O'Driscoll sentiment on these boards never ceases to amaze me. Call it begrudgery or provincial bias or whatever, but its something I find really irritating.

As a rugby fan, this is the first I've heard about O'Driscoll having a reputation as such a 'dirty' player. If you're gonna make such a statement lads, at least back it up with some facts / specific occurences!!!?

O'Driscoll may be arrogant and even over-rated, but most of the abuse that is regularly hurled at him is just not deserved. So - he was punched in the face and suffered a fractured sinus or whatver, and now misses some of the RWC. And what are people saying? He's a dirty player, too much made of this, even one guy questioning the whole spear tackle incident! Jesus lads!

He always gives 100% in the Irish jersey. He's an excellent player and the captain of our national team. Maybe we should give him the respect he deserves...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

ALH-06 wrote:
    The sheer amount of anti-O'Driscoll sentiment on these boards never ceases to amaze me. Call it begrudgery or provincial bias or whatever, but its something I find really irritating.
    Agreed. One minute he's a ponse another minute he's a dirty player. He's one of the best rugby players of all time.

• Advertisement

Advertisement