Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is O'Driscoll Out?????

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

jaysus lads i didnt mean to start anything anti odriscoll,i am one of his biggest fans and think what happened was a disgrace,
    im not bothered going looking for quotes but it is wideley thought outside ireland that he is a very agressive player and some other players feel he goes overboard sometimes,i never said he was a dirty player and tbh i think the irish media keep us extremely sheltered on what other other countries think about the irish rugby team and our players.so i wouldnt be surpriesed if none of you have ever heard this but dont start saying that i said he was a dirty player becuase i didnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,596 ✭✭✭✭walshb

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

How naieve or stupid are you. He fractured the mans sinus and you think he may not have thought it out fully. I said in a previous POST that a fair scarp is one thing, but deliberately and cunningly targeting a man who has NO idea he is being targeted with that level of ferocity is plain disgusting and common assault. I boxed for years and I know what it is like to take a whack, but at least I expected the whacks. BOD hadn't a clue and took a whack when he was not remotely prepared or ready. That is NOT my idea of what Rugby should be about and to tolerate this behavior is wrong. They do tolerate it, so I say tough luck BOD.....

I do NOT play Rugby but I am a fan and I do know the rules and I do have a view on how a game should be played. I am all for a hard physical and fair game, but common assault has absolute NO place in the game of Rugby, and that's exactly what happened to BOD, nothing whatsoever to do with the actual game and all the excuses and apologies made for the incident don't cut it IMO......

Oh and from watching BOD thru the years I would not say he was a dirty player. He is a tough hard man, but deliberately nasty and dirty NO....

That's not a bias view, it's just what I have seen of him and all this crap Henson talk is inaccurate. Irish players for many years now have been the victims of the media. All the other countries seem to protect and condone their players behaviour, but the Irish lambast their own the second they step out of line....Maybe we shouldn't be so quick to do so.

As Nations go, I would say the Irish team are the fairest and most honest team out there.....
    No wonder we can't win the big ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

There were plenty of boxes thrown in England v France too guys , I'm sure these boys weren't too bothered about breaking someones cheekbone, not a word about it though. No one injured thankfully its just when someone gets hurt things go overboard, its a part of the game , not saying its right.

• Advertisement

daveirl wrote:

Did it ever occur to you that these violent assaults are taking place because the players know they will be tolerated and accepted. You keep saying it's a contact sport. I know it is and I have no problem with that. But blatant assault in the game the way it has been occurring should simply NOT be tolerated. Do you believe these players would be so eager to do what they did to Brian, if they knew that if caught, then they would be thrown out of the game, their team would be down to 14 men and they (player) may face criminal proceedings. It's about time everyone who loves the sport of Rugby got tough on this issue. No player ever should have to face the vicious unprovoked and dangerous illegal element that is in the game. If the players were protected by the higher powers in the game, this can be outlawed. It's quite serious. We aren't simply talking about the odd push and shove here. It's serious injury and disgusting to see.

It's simple, get bleedin tough and impose serious penalties on players, clubs and boards who allow this behavior to happen. Lets see how eager these thugs are when they know their career is on the line and their clubs success is on the line should the choose to inflict serious injury on another player..

What manager then would condone this. He/she would be issuing stern warnings to their players. If you behave in a thuggish manner, you are out of this club.....The club cannot afford to suffer because of this behaviour

buck65 wrote:
    There were plenty of boxes thrown in England v France too guys , I'm sure these boys weren't too bothered about breaking someones cheekbone, not a word about it though. No one injured thankfully its just when someone gets hurt things go overboard, its a part of the game , not saying its right.
    Part of the game is to fracture a mans sinus when he is not looking:confused:

What hope has rugby got with this attitude

daveirl wrote:
    My god, what is freakish about it?

He deliberately walloped a man and fractured his sinus. A man who was not looking. What is freakish. To me it was very deliberate. Are you seriously implying that it was accidental or that he did not mean to hurt Brian. I never said he wanted him out of the RWC. That's not the issue, though he very nearly did and could well have ended his career. You I assume are a fan of the game as I am....so what's is wrong with my view that the authorities need to get damn serious and at least try to ensure that this behaviour, freakish or bloody not is simply not accepted...

Again I say, the reason you have this behaviour is because the authorities allow it. So in a sense I don't blame the players. If they are allowed get away with it, best of luck to them. But don't try and tell me that it's unavoidable, acceptable, all part of the game and impossible to outlaw....because it's NOT.
    Get tough and clean the game up.....be damn proud of the game without having to accept this scum.....

If you are NOT part of the solution, you ar part of the problem......

• Advertisement

And Dave, I am not saying just because the authorities get tough that suddenly a punch will never be thrown. Of course you will still have a thuggish element in the game. This is human nature and is impossible to completely outlaw, but I can bet the incidents will be greatly reduced and you can be sure the players will definitely think twice before they commit such heinous acts on another player, knowing that they will face serious reprecussions...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

walshb wrote:

As Nations go, I would say the Irish team are the fairest and most honest team out there.....
    No wonder we can't win the big ones

I could point you to a few Welsh rugby forums where they would beg to differ. We would certainly have a reputation for being a bit slow to roll away from rucks. :D

daveirl wrote:

It has been known for years that players have been targeted before matches even began. Managers have instructed the targeting. A key player is to be taken out of the game. That ensures a better chance of victory. This is another case of win at all costs and the Aussies are great examples of this.
    Didn't Trevor Brennan see it first hand when he was beaten by two Aussies. One held him while the other man hit him.

The game has been cleaned up...are you serious?

So BOD is an example of the clean game?.
    Was BOD on the Lions tour also an example?

Ok, maybe Mr Kiwi didn't plan before the game to fracture
    Brians sinus. But you keep missing the point...
    He did fracture his sinus because he chose to throw
    an almighty punch when BOD was least expecting it.
    Why????, because there are no reprecussions.
    He knew he wouldn't be penalised much and knew
    he would most likely have the full backing of his players and club.

I would expect that if any player, Irish or otherwise decides to
    viciously and illegally assault another player, he should face the wrath
    of the Rugby world...no ands ifs or buts. Lets really try and
    stamp this scum out.

Whether you like it or NOT, targeting of players happens in the rugby world
    and is made all the easier because nobody bats an eye.
    Was BOD tageted. I don't know....but all I will say is that it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

daveirl wrote:
    True but I think there a level of punches and this was a full on wallop to a man who wasn't looking. It was a nasty cheap shot.

I don't think it was pre-mediatated, I don't think he should be banned for life but I certainly don't think this was just another punch.

daveirl wrote:
    You have proved my point Dave....you have seen hundreds.....because that's what the authorites allow....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

marco_polo wrote:
    I could point you to a few Welsh rugby forums where they would beg to differ. We would certainly have a reputation for being a bit slow to roll away from rucks. :D

forum.gwladrugby for example ?

I'd like to see someone defend BOD on a Welsh rugby site :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Ponster wrote:
    forum.gwladrugby for example ?

I'd like to see someone defend BOD on a Welsh rugby site :)

Thats the one I was thinking of alright:D

Funny how they used to love us when we were crap at rubgy, not so much now that we are better than them.

Hell hath no fury like bitter twisted Welsh rugby fans harking back to the glorious days of the 70's. ;).

Most popular threads are "Cheating Irish scrum/backrow/<everything else> etc." Any threads on ROG/Stringer/Hayes/BOD illicit a healthy response too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Well guys I think we should prob stop going round in circles and thank our lucky stars BOD is going to be able to play in the WC (the real one not the shadow boxing against Namibia).

It's happened now and we got to deal with it.
    Should it have happened? No.
    Should the player get punished? Yes.
    Did Horgan get a way more serious injury just by running around warming up? Yes.
    We should walkover Namibia handy even if the backs consist of Paddy Wallace and Gavin Duffy and my aunt Maureen. If BOD gets a few mins against Georgia to warm up he should be ok.

We also should beat the Argies - ffs Wales beat them during the weekend and Argentina had a full strength team out. If we're going to be serious about doing anything in the WC there is only one team in that group we should be worried about - France.

During the 6N we were at the same level as them a couple of flukes and bounces of the ball and refereeing decisions and we'd have won it as a Grand Slam

We should respect France but not be afraid of them. Given a full strength team we have a good a chance as anyone (perhaps bar the All Blacks) of beating them. We need to concentrate on getting that full team up and running and rareing to go and that includes both BOD and Shaggy and doesn't include some Basque jobbers

kevmy wrote:
    Well guys I think we should prob stop going round in circles and thank our lucky stars BOD is going to be able to play in the WC (the real one not the shadow boxing against Namibia).

It's happened now and we got to deal with it.
    Should it have happened? No.
    Should the player get punished? Yes.
    Did Horgan get a way more serious injury just by running around warming up? Yes.
    We should walkover Namibia handy even if the backs consist of Paddy Wallace and Gavin Duffy and my aunt Maureen. If BOD gets a few mins against Georgia to warm up he should be ok.

We also should beat the Argies - ffs Wales beat them during the weekend and Argentina had a full strength team out. If we're going to be serious about doing anything in the WC there is only one team in that group we should be worried about - France.

During the 6N we were at the same level as them a couple of flukes and bounces of the ball and refereeing decisions and we'd have won it as a Grand Slam

We should respect France but not be afraid of them. Given a full strength team we have a good a chance as anyone (perhaps bar the All Blacks) of beating them. We need to concentrate on getting that full team up and running and rareing to go and that includes both BOD and Shaggy and doesn't include some Basque jobbers

Wouldn't dismiss the Argies an the back of that performance as that was the first time that the firstchoice XV has played together since the Autumn Internationals, bar a meaningless runout against Chile. They were very disjointed in the first half but improved considerably in the second half. Wales were really lucky to win in the end.

We know that they have a world class pack and the back three looked very dangerous at times and that is even before Hernandez comes back into the team. With more game time behind them they will be a much more coherant and dangerous unit come September.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

kevmy wrote:
    Hmm I'll believe that BOD is playing in the RWC when I see him line out in the RWC.
    Until then I will reserve judgement about his injury being "only" a fractured sinus, there is a lot of money at stake regarding his appearance this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I'd argue that the game has to clean up further still as the pro rugby players are much much bigger and stronger and are capable of doing much more serious damage to each other.

daveirl wrote:

You post a clip of a mass brawl that can happen at anytime
    in any team sport. I have seen a lot of this in a lot of sports.
    This is not what I am talking about and is totally different to the individual
    cases of scum assault when one player deliberately targets an unexpecting player with a serious assault. Look if you really believe that the authorities are doing everything in their power to STOP incidents like what BOD suffered, then fair enough. I think that they are NOT only NOT doing enough, but their lack of concern is the root of the problem.
    Has the KIWI been punished for the BOD affair??
    Will he be punished and if so, what type of
    punishment will deter him from committing the act again?

Actually all it proves is that Rugby is a dirty sport today and was yesterday.
    Violence is still occurring on the pitch to a great extent and I am talking
    serious assault. It's happening and nothing is being done about it

walshb wrote:
    Has the KIWI been punished for the BOD affair??
    Will he be punished and if so, what type of punishment will deter him from committing the act again?

Yes he was. I don't think any kind of punishment will make him stop and think in the heat of such a moment.

Ponster wrote:
    Yes he was. I don't think any kind of punishment will make him stop and think in the heat of such a moment.

So he has....but I agree that the flimsy bans they impose certainly will not deter this type of behavior...isn't that my whole arguement.......

What was the punishment or have you a link where I can read about it??
    Maybe it is NOT a flimsy ban!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

wait till players start suing for loss of earnings....

daveirl wrote:
    Ok Dave, I think we will call it a day.
    I guess I feel a little stronger about this behaviour and its reprecussions, or lack thereof than you. Well at least we do agree that NOTHING of a serious note is being done to prevent it

• Advertisement

Tewhata has been suspended by his club for 2 matches and by the French Fed. of Rugby indefinitaly until the results of the report are known.

Advertisement