Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday in Donegal ... Or somewhere near . .

Options
  • 13-08-2007 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,
    Were thinking of going to Donegal the week after next for a week. Just wondering where would be the most interesting /best place to go ?? And it doesent have to be donegal , Somewhere up there ...... Derry Maybe.

Suggestions Pls.

Barry.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

What kind of things are you interested in? ie. clubbing, pubbing, scenery, historic sites?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Well not clubbing, haha .... Yeah some scenery .... Historic sites, maybe some scenic walks , While also a cinema close by to see a movie etc or some entertainment facility close by too..

• Registered Users Posts: 45,855 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Theres a couple of threads here and if I can find them I will post the links. This was discussed some time ago (theoretically posted by Paddy20 I think) and I think the general consensus was to base yourself in around Donegal Town - Ballybofey - Letterkenny area and then head off to different locations each day.

Heres a couple of links with the first one having links within the link if that makes sense. Might be helpful.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055132875

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054850975

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055089994

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

If you're basing yourslef in Letterkenny and you've got a car, Lough Salt's a beautiful climb without being as hard as Errigal or Muckish. Also worth visiting Glenveagh National Park, Ionad Cois Locha at Dunlewey and Horn Head.

I don't recommend eating out in Letterkenny, since prices in restaurants seem to have gone completely off the charts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

I found this house of accom' , is it in a good location ? :
    http://www.donegalcottageholidays.com/illistrin-farmhouse/index.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ctc_celtic

it would be only a few minutes from Letterkenny and near the main road that leads to the north west of Donegal. N56 as far as i remember.
    Would only be 20minutes from Glenveagh National Park.
    If you have a car it would be as good a base as any.

EDIT:
    One thing about that house, there are a lot of road works going on on the main road, and from the description "main road at the end of the farmhouse lane" that house is right beside them. you may want to ask the owners how far away from the work is it? and also is there much noise?
    i lived beside a main road being constructed and it can be very noisy and start very early in the morning. not a good thing for a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

The place I would recommend would be

The Haw Lodge
    +353 (0)74 9141397/91419

Situated just outside Lifford (which has a Cineplex). McBrides in Castlefin is a great village pub to have a night's craic in. Climb Barnesmore. Walk on Rossnowlagh beach (or surf if that's your thing). Fish in the river Finn. Visit Lifford Jail. Go to the Dogs' in Lifford. Shop in Strabane or Derry. Visit Slieve League..... etc

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

deman wrote:

The Haw Lodge
    +353 (0)74 9141397/91419

Situated just outside Lifford (which has a Cineplex). McBrides in Castlefin is a great village pub to have a night's craic in. Climb Barnesmore. Walk on Rossnowlagh beach (or surf if that's your thing). Fish in the river Finn. Visit Lifford Jail. Go to the Dogs' in Lifford. Shop in Strabane or Derry. Visit Slieve League..... etc

As a Lifford man, I completely agree.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭-donegal-girlie

deman wrote:

The Haw Lodge
    +353 (0)74 9141397/91419

No OFFence..! But dont go to lifford its boring!! Had to go to that jail house 3 times on school tours ZzZzZzZ and around 7 years ago..had to go up annd down to lifford to get car tax!! Oh but they can boast about micky Joe harte!! hahaha.. Im from donegal town myself and to be honest there isnt much entertainment around here..but alot of historical sites..! Castle,Famine Graveyard,Old Monestry..ect...ect..I would advise going to letterkenny!! More entertainment..like cinemas..and swimming..and its only 45mins from donegal town!!:cool: And i dont know why the man who is saying stay in lifford is recomending bluestacks and rossnowlagh as they are ages away from lifford!! Only around 10mins from donegal town!!

Advertisement