Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the most beautiful tourist spot in the North- West ?..

Options
  • 09-05-2007 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

I am personally always being asked, where in Donegal and the North-West should people spend thier holiday ?, as I am only a Twin- Towns lad.

Has anyone got any suggestions :D

P. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Stranorlar ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

muffler wrote:
    Stranorlar ;)

Cheeky sod, you are not allowed to be local on this question, otherwise a 'red card' for prejudice could be appplicable :D .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Slieve League

Breathtaking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭MikeTheMan

deman wrote:
    Slieve League

Breathtaking!

I concur!
    Although Convoy is a close second :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭niamh1975

Sliabh League is absolutely breath taking if the weather is right, as is the Glen area in general. years ago i went up to inishowen with some yank cousins and couldnt believe how beautiful it was up around Malin head etc. Cousins from down the country love the gap too as its pretty flat where they live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

deman wrote:
    Slieve League

Breathtaking!
    It is indeed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Slieve League, Malin Head and the Knockalla coast road. If they want a different view, tell them to climb Muckish. The views from the top on a clear day are breathtaking and it is relatively easy to get to summit.

miketheman
    Although Convoy is a close second
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

The best thing about the North-West is the variety available in a small area. You have the lakelands around the Leitrim and Fermanagh border, the stunning coastline all the way from Enniscrone to Inishowen, the highlands of West Donegal and wide valleys of the Finn, Foyle and Swilly.

I think people take a lot of it for granted living here but I never get tired of the local views I see all the time, like Barnesmore Gap, the view looking right from the main road between Convoy (yes Convoy!) and Raphoe, or on a clear day between Drumkeen and Letterkenny when the Swilly Valley opens up in front of you.

So don't be too modest about the Twin Towns Paddy. It's a great central location for a holiday and less than 30 minutes from the beaches in the Donegal Town area. In fact turn off the computer and take a stroll up to Meenglass at the weekend. (Bring a raincoat :) )

sesswhat wrote:
    I think people take a lot of it for granted living here but I never get tired of the local views I see all the time, like Barnesmore Gap, the view looking right from the main road between Convoy (yes Convoy!) and Raphoe, or on a clear day between Drumkeen and Letterkenny when the Swilly Valley opens up in front of you.

Finally someone who appreciate the true beauty in the Convoy area!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

MikeTheMan wrote:
    Finally someone who appreciate the true beauty in the Convoy area!:cool:

What's not to appreciate? In fact I often see men in little hats like yours rushing out of their cars to welcome people coming from the Twin Towns direction (even if they are only doing a few kmh over the limit) :D .

• Advertisement

Paddy20 wrote:
    I am personally always being asked, where in Donegal and the North-West should people spend thier holiday ?, as I am only a Twin- Towns lad.

Has anyone got any suggestions :D

If someone asked me that question i would tell them to make sure its a 2 week holiday and either move around the county (as in B & B) or base themselves centrally in the county and go off on a different route each day.

There are so many beautiful places to visit. A few have been mentioned already but a couple of my favourites are - Dunlewey, Knockalla/Portsalon (fantastic car free beach) and just to get away from the madding crowd, Tory Island.

Aranmore island is great also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Dont know too much about Donegal scenary apart form Glencolmcille which is lovely. Have ye still got that weird strap line "Up here its different?" Or is it "we're different?" Id say you'd need to play that one down to your friends. Its almost as painful as Sligo is Surprising and Lovely Leitrim!
    Anyway, North West still includes Siigo and Leitrim. The Gleniff horseshoe pass near Belbulbin is breathtaking. Be careful of the bull! The drive around Glencar (stopping by at the waterfall in Leitrim!) on back route to Bundoran is lovely too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Horn Head (Dunfanaghy).

sesswhat wrote:
    What's not to appreciate? In fact I often see men in little hats like yours rushing out of their cars to welcome people coming from the Twin Towns direction (even if they are only doing a few kmh over the limit) :D .

HA HA..... No comment!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Higgsy

I would say go for a bit of Novelty as well.

Go to Malin head as this is the most Northenly point in Ireland, come back via Culdaff and Ballyliffen (have some lunch here) have a look at Pollen beach, go to Buncrana, head on the Ferry to Rathmullan, head to Fanad.

Glenveagh on a nice day, you can beat it.

Otherwise I would say Gorthork, or Glencolmcille (beautiful)

Higgsy wrote:
    I would say go for a bit of Novelty as well.

Go to Malin head as this is the most Northenly point in Ireland, come back via Culdaff and Ballyliffen (have some lunch here) have a look at Pollen beach, go to Buncrana, head on the Ferry to Rathmullan, head to Fanad.

Glenveagh on a nice day, you can beat it.

Otherwise I would say Gorthork, or Glencolmcille (beautiful)

I love this thread, who started it ! was it me while pissed as a newt :D

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

muffler wrote:
    If someone asked me that question i would tell them to make sure its a 2 week holiday and either move around the county (as in B & B) or base themselves centrally in the county and go off on a different route each day.
    I'd agree.

I'd recommend Glenveagh, Malin Head, Silver Strand beach and Sliabh League.

Although not in Donegal, the Ulster American Folk Park is worth a visit too. On the other hand, I must admit I don't find Giants Causeway all that impressive!

Indeed, Barnesmore Gap is scenic also on a good day.

byte wrote:
    Indeed, Barnesmore Gap is scenic also on a good day.
    Even on a bad day when you're stuck in Biddys it looks fantastic after 10 or 12 vodkas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

going to add some out of donegal location,

Strandhill at sunset, infact any beach on the north west at sunset.
    Glencar waterfall
    Mountain walk on the arigna hills looking over the lake.
    Standing on a hill outside dromahair and being able to see four different counties.

Laghy strand outside ardara on a cold winters morning and watching the wind skimming the sand across the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

Sure it's all beautiful. But, I think this photo of Errigal of Errigal in the winter is just amazing and shows some of the diversity of Donegal's beauty:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tir_na_nog/369694844/

(Photo not taken by me).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Gleniff Horseshoe (as long as you don't walk around it!)
    Glencar Waterfall.
    The Holywell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

magnumlady wrote:
    Gleniff Horseshoe (as long as you don't walk around it!)
    Glencar Waterfall.
    The Holywell.

tobernault, one of the most tranquil places on earth, not a big fan after dark

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Union Wood
    Dooney Rock
    Slíos Wood
    Hazelwood
    Lissadel (Strand & House)
    Culleenamore
    Strandhill
    Rosses Point
    Lower Rosses
    Knocknera (Sp?)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

i took a drive up to portsalon for the first time there 2 wks ago,
    it was pretty breathtaking.
    apart from that, gweedore can be pretty impressive, dunlewey, and i think ardara is a nice little town with some breathtaking points around it.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Nice views from Grianán Ailigh too.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FunkyDa

Gillie wrote:
    Union Wood
    Dooney Rock
    Slíos Wood
    Hazelwood
    Lissadel (Strand & House)
    Culleenamore
    Strandhill
    Rosses Point
    Lower Rosses
    Knocknera (Sp?)

The W.B. Yeats tour?(Come away, o human child, to the waters and the wild).:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

The Rath behind my house :D

I think 'Sharps' on the finn river outside Ballybofey, gets my vote although people today probably do not remember or even know about it, but for tranquility and peace away from modern life it is still unbeatable.

I often visit and just recall the memorie's of magical childhood summer's there, and in my head I can hear the carefree screams of delight as we all learned to swim in my glorious Finn river. :) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Lough Gill in Sligo is very nice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Bloody Foreland is fairly breathtaking, especially on a clear day, kind of makes you realise just how small we are!

Advertisement