Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'No Satellite Dish' rule in Apartment Building - Advice?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

A communal dish can accomodate both English and Polish/German stations. Each user just selects what satellite they wish to view using a diseq command from the receiver.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

I had the same issue; was unwilling to pay to a rip-off outfit who made you pay €18 a month to connect to their communal dish (while also charging you for FTA channels - the cheek!) - anyway, got around it by getting one of these:
    http://www.ddelec.com/digiglobe.htm

(Note I got it from a UK company called DigiCams, not from the link above - but DigiCams appear not to have a picture, hence the other link. I'm sure DDElec are fine, I just haven't had experience with them.)

Works a treat for Sky 90% Signal Strength, 95% Quality on a HD box - no-one has even queried what it is, and if they do, I'll say it's a lamp for my private use!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

hopalong_ie you can easily but a no satellite dish allowed rule and still put in a communal dish system which would be almost completely unseen from the outside (as it is on the roof and professionally installed) and would satisfy 90% of the residents.

You can also do communal dish systems with larger dishes that satisfy foreign residents *.

With these options available I don't see why you would limit peoples rights and choice of provider.

* The advantage of the first option is that it can be gotten through Sky at no cost to the management company and no extra cost to the apartment owners who just pay the normal sky price that everyone else pays. The disadvantage of the second option is that you would need to get it through a third party installer and therefore it would cost the management company and/or extra ongoing fees.

hopalong_ie also don't forget, just because something is in the contract or complex rules, doesn't mean it can't be challenged in court some day and likely overturned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭hopalong_ie

Hi Bk. Again it's the same issue though, in our case a red brick building the only place for a dish would be the chimney as the roof is pitched, that rules out a 1m dish for a true communial system as per the other post. As to restricting peoples choice, As i see it we are not restricting people to only upc, they also have analouge, also soon dvb, and sat if they want to put the dish inside but they do not own the building to go making permanent additions to it, I also don't agree with a sky only communial system, a communial system should be a true comnunial system that sevices the entire community, not just the irish one. 40 percent of our dev are eastern europeans and i can imagine they would be quite annoyed and rightly so if an irish only sky solution went in with a mini dish not big enough to get anything else bar sky etc. Of course anything can be challanged in court, in Ireland that's a given, but if they are allowed then i'm sure the day will come when we will have to start acting against people for damages to the building as my earlier examples which at this time the managment company is paying for, that managment company that is funded by myself who doesn't have sky, polsat etc but who is now payin for the damaged caused.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

As to restricting peoples choice, As i see it we are not restricting people to only upc, they also have analouge, also soon dvb, and sat if they want to put the dish inside but they do not own the building to go making permanent additions to it,

The EU legislation specifically applies to satellite, so availability of UPC and analogue is irrelevant. Sat usually doesn't work from in doors so also irrelevant.

Also there have been other EU rulings in other areas which give home owners more control over the exterior of their homes then management agencies like to make out you have here.

BTW I'm not a lawyer, I'm just pointing this out FYI. I absolutely hate monopolies and I hate these sort of artificially created monopolies, I believe that people should always have the option of multiple suppliers, it is the only way to stop abuse and anti-competitive behavior.
    but if they are allowed then i'm sure the day will come when we will have to start acting against people for damages to the building as my earlier examples which at this time the managment company is paying for, that managment company that is funded by myself who doesn't have sky, polsat etc but who is now payin for the damaged caused.

I agree 100% that any damage caused to the building should be charged against the owner who caused that damage, that goes without saying, no argument there.

Perhaps the management company could require a deposit before people are allowed to put up dishes, to cover the cost of any damage caused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zulfikarMD

djt0607 wrote: »
    The management company are not restricting your right to receive satellite television; they are restricting you from mounting a dish on THEIR PROPERTY. It is this which you have NO RIGHTS to.

what you mean by "they are restricting you from mounting a dish on THEIR PROPERTY"? if LANDLORD has no objection for mounting SKYDISH in balcony who other has right to stop you from installing it?

Management company is just the property care-taker/manager or they are real owners?

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

zulfikarMD wrote: »
    Management company is just the property care-taker/manager or they are real owners?

The management company owns the outer walls and (in most cases), the balconies.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zulfikarMD

Apogee wrote: »
    It can be mounted some distance behind the glass and then the geometry of the dish will allow it to see over the glass railing. This will also make it less visible to nosey neighbours.

3551754632_61ebe538a1_o.jpg

Alternatively, if you place it directly behind the glass, the dish will be forced to view through the glass - this isn't as good as above, as the glass will attenuate (reduce) the incoming signal and you will probably lose some or all of the channels.

Hi,

Where did you get this dish mounting stand?

Thank you.

markpb wrote: »
    The management company owns the outer walls and (in most cases), the balconies.

Management Company - Owns the building, usually made up of the owners of apartments in the building and/or the builders.

Management Agency - Company hired by the Management Company to run the building.

The Management Comppany can instruct the Management Agency to leave sat dishes if they like. That is assuming the apartment owners are on the board of the Management Company and decide to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Apogee

zulfikarMD wrote: »
    Hi,

Where did you get this dish mounting stand?

Thank you.

The original picture I used was American. That stand wouldn't be very suitable in Ireland because the wind would knock over the dish. Satworld in Kimmage sell sturdy ground stands. They can be anchored into place by placing concrete blocks on them.
    http://www.satworld.ie/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=6

Some more ideas here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=224642&page=2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Tweedle Dee

Have the management company the right to take the dish down? Mine is being held ransom for a tidy sum!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Have the management company the right to take the dish down? Mine is being held ransom for a tidy sum!

Have you read any other posts in this thread? If it's attached to a wall owned by the management company or (depending on your complex), if it's on a balcony owned by the management company, they're entitled to take it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 spiritofz

What happened next ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

2011, A test case (23883/06) where Swedish tenants were evicted because of their use of a satellite dish has been ruled as a violation of the applicant’s human rights under Article 10 (Freedom of Expression) in that they were not allowed to receive satellite signals. The Court ruling has effectively established that the possession and use of a satellite dish for the purposes of exercising one’s right to freedom of information is a human right.

The case, brought by Swedish tenants, has found in favour of the tenants – who are of Iraqi origin – and who had taken their government to court after being evicted by their landlord after installing a dish. The Court ordered that €13,950 be paid to the tenants as compensation.

Importantly, the ruling shows that even if the applicants were technically in breach of their tenancy, the right to information is superior to the landlord’s right to enforce the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

Speaking as someone who currently lives in an apartment I think the ultimate moral of the story here is that management companies are a complete pain in the hole, and if your circumstances allow it you should avoid them at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

JHet wrote: »
    Speaking as someone who currently lives in an apartment I think the ultimate moral of the story here is that management companies are a complete pain in the hole, and if your circumstances allow it you should avoid them at all costs.

Speaking as someone who currently owns their apartment I think the ultimate moral of the story here is that landlords, tenants and their ugly satellite dishes are a complete pain in the hole, and if your circumstances allow it you should avoid them at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

jakdublin wrote: »
    Speaking as someone who currently owns their apartment I think the ultimate moral of the story here is that landlords, tenants and their ugly satellite dishes are a complete pain in the hole, and if your circumstances allow it you should avoid them at all costs.

Thats why all apartment blocks should have a communal dish fitted and a terrestrial aerial which can be hidden instead of dishes all over the place and UPC fitted allowing people the right to choose for themselves whom they want to provide their tv service.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

jakdublin wrote: »

I know this is old thread but it's still relevant.

It's even a bigger pain when a poorly installed satellite dish falls on your head!

Dishes are not allowed for several good reasons.

1. They are unsigtly and bring down the entire development.
    2. They are often installed incorrectly and present a serious hazard should one come loose and fall
    3. When tenant moves on they often leave the dish in place
    4. Mounting the dish often damages the wall finish and is most often not repaired when / IF the person removes it
    5. Apartment owners do not own outside walls - the management company they are part of is. If the majority of owners wanted to allow dishes, they can. But no-one does. For above 4 reasons.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We don’t drag up old threads. If you want to discuss the issue start a new thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement