Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'No Satellite Dish' rule in Apartment Building - Advice?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Not much trouble during construction but to add it later on would it not require further duplication of cabling/amps switches ??

Only on the cable backbone which would normally be easily accessible via the riser.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Last

Tony wrote: »
    I think a better solution would be to make it incumbent on the developer to provide each apartment with the necessary wiring so they can chose from any of the service providers. The whole argument about dishes would then fade into obscurity as they would not be necessary

This is the ONLY answer. When I moved into my home over 40 years ago there was only 1 electrical outlet. How many home are built this way today? How many are now built that are not wired for an alarm? No self respecting builder would ever consider this. Why is it still acceptable to build them without cabling for satellite service or broadband service? I believe that the local authorities and An Bord Pleanála should be lobied to make this a condition of planning permission. I would suggest to everyone here that they write to the relevant bodies requesting such a change. Everyone should also contact their residents associations and community groups to highlight the situation and request they submit submissions regarding all new developments in their localities. I see a long fight ahead but once one local authority sees the light all others will soon follow suit.

p.s. I'm not getting into the arguement re erection on dishes in Apartment Buildings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 JCDublin

spockety wrote: »
    That's good.. pity you took it down though.. I reckon the onus should be on the Management Company to prove a case for you to take it down, and not on you to prove a case for being allowed to put it up as it is a fundamental human right...

Mmmm, I don't really think that watching satellite TV can be counted as a "fundamental human right". To be quite honest, in the wrong location (and particularly in apartment blocks), I think that lots of satellite dishes hanging off walls or balconies would look really crap. I can see why Management companies might object to them, just as it is forbidden to put a satellite dish on the front of a house without planning permission. I don't know the ins and outs of the legal situation, but it seems to me that Management companies do have an absolute legal right to decide what you attach to the outer walls of an apartment block, as they own the outer walls. As someone else has pointed out, apartment owners are really only long-term lessees, and even then, they only lease the inside of the apartment, not the outer walls. That said, Management companies should be more proactive in arranging communal dishes where there is clearly a demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

JCDublin wrote: »
    just as it is forbidden to put a satellite dish on the front of a house without planning permission.
    How come so many of these are mounted without planning permission and without any obvious repercussions? Does it require somebody to go an make a complaint or do the relevant authorities unilaterally do any spot checks?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭aoife34

Hi, just got Sky installed on Friday, i got a knock on the door today from the mgt company to say that i have to take it down. I own my house, i signed contracts, but at the time was not worried about satellite dishes as it was a stupid thing to have in a contract. The way my house is, the dish had to go on the side of the house. When i look out my back i can see 4 houses with dishes on the back of their house, but apparently thats ok cause they are not on view!

How far can the managment company take this. I am not taking it down!

• Advertisement

Is it possible to mount the dish at the back of the house using a bracket?

aoife34 wrote: »
    Hi, just got Sky installed on Friday, i got a knock on the door today from the mgt company to say that i have to take it down. I own my house, i signed contracts, but at the time was not worried about satellite dishes as it was a stupid thing to have in a contract. The way my house is, the dish had to go on the side of the house. When i look out my back i can see 4 houses with dishes on the back of their house, but apparently thats ok cause they are not on view!

How far can the managment company take this. I am not taking it down!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭aoife34

No, the rest of the dishes are positioned to face south, if i put mine on the back it would point west. It points south on the side of my house only :( Stupid house shape

Ok but a stand off bracket and pole should still allow you to point in the right direction

aoife34 wrote: »
    No, the rest of the dishes are positioned to face south, if i put mine on the back it would point west. It points south on the side of my house only :( Stupid house shape

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

You should get a second opinion on your dish location. There are lots of options on dish locations around a house with the correct brackets

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

I had a dish mounted at the back of my house on a bracket and the estate management company removed it, I rang them and asked why they never removed the foreign satellite dishes from the people at the back of my house and they said they were not ‘visible’ – the estate management we have were Iam are utterly useless I’m sick of ringing them about issues. Just be careful if you erect one that they don’t come and take it down

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I had a dish mounted at the back of my house on a bracket and the estate management company removed it, I rang them and asked why they never removed the foreign satellite dishes from the people at the back of my house and they said they were not ‘visible’ – the estate management we have were Iam are utterly useless I’m sick of ringing them about issues. Just be careful if you erect one that they don’t come and take it down
    They took it down from your house? Surely, they're trespassing by doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

byte wrote: »
    They took it down from your house? Surely, they're trespassing by doing so.

Managing agents can legally do this, they can also come into your house if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Sorry if this was covered before, why not use the invisible dishes?

freely available at a cost from UK sellers?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1025007/Chameleon-TV-The-invisible-satellite-dish-blends-brickwork.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

paulm17781 wrote: »
    they can also come into your house if necessary.

Not without a court order they can't.

faceman wrote: »
    Not without a court order they can't.

They can on health and safety grounds. Generally, you don't actually own the property, you lease it for €1 per annum, if they need to, for some reason, get into your property they can. Likewise, if you have a dish on your apartment / house, they can remove it if it is against the rules.

Managing agents can legally do this, they can also come into your house if necessary.

Under what law or statute?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Wizard007

They can on health and safety grounds. Generally, you don't actually own the property, you lease it for €1 per annum, if they need to, for some reason, get into your property they can. Likewise, if you have a dish on your apartment / house, they can remove it if it is against the rules.

Ah no they can not. No one can enter your home uninvited without a warrant or court order.

Wizard007 wrote: »
    Ah no they can not. No one can enter your home uninvited without a warrant or court order.

Check your leases. If you have a management company, they are entitled to enter your premises if they need to (health and safety) it may be yours but it is in their building and the building takes precedence. Like wise they can remove dishes from the outside of your building as it's their development not yours, assuming they have a no dishes policy.

No lease or contract can take precedence over the law of the land.

Check your leases. If you have a management company, they are entitled to enter your premises if they need to (health and safety) it may be yours but it is in their building and the building takes precedence. Like wise they can remove dishes from the outside of your building as it's their development not yours, assuming they have a no dishes policy.

Tony wrote: »
    No lease or contract can take precedence over the law of the land.

Oops, I forgot this was the internet. If you argue enough you'll eventually be right, keep going.

When you buy in developments you agree to this. Now, keep on arguing, if you say it enough, you'll suddenly be right.

• Advertisement

Good debating skills :) Every lease or contract has to have a basis in law. Imagine someone was crazy enough to for example write down a lease that says the landlord can shoot you if the rent is not paid, clearly not enforceable as it is against the law, in the same way entering a property without a warrant or being invited (unless you are a fireman who has a good reason) is illegal. Since you also have a different view on ownership perhaps you could explain how someone can get a mortgage on a property they do not own?

Edit: Just read a piece in yesterdays herald that does indeed say that some company's use a nominal lease fee of .5 cents a year and court has said that this now means complaints by apartments owners can be handled by tenancy boards.

Oops, I forgot this was the internet. If you argue enough you'll eventually be right, keep going.

When you buy in developments you agree to this. Now, keep on arguing, if you say it enough, you'll suddenly be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭cmb.

in the case of an apt, the outer walls are owned collectively by the owners and if they instruct a management co. to remove dishes then that can be done but they can not enter an apt without certain provisions such as written notice and consent from the owner/occupier - contrary to your belief, paulm, a management co. (who again are hired to act on the behalf of the collective owners and while they are hired they hold the deeds to common areas for the sole purpose of providng servises and maintenance for those clients) has no automatic right to enter your property and contary to popular belief they can not even enter your balcony even if it is not designated under your leashold as this is a domain which you have exclusive use of

if there is a genuine reason for a worker, directed by the management co. to want to access your property i.e a leak, wiring etc, then they need to write to you first and arrange this

you seem to make statements without putting forward any evidence and yet if anyone disagres with you, rubbish their posts - but if you can prove myself or tony wrong then do so (but, you cant as you are wrong on this)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Sorry if this was covered before, why not use the invisible dishes?

freely available at a cost from UK sellers?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1025007/Chameleon-TV-The-invisible-satellite-dish-blends-brickwork.html
    I suspect that those sort of rectangular hidden "dishes" may be OK for the footprint of some satellites in the UK (especially down south) but maybe not here in Ireland (especially allowing for weather conditions). Others here know more about the technicalities than I do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 amyloo

i work for a property managment company.
    try a mini dish with sky we would not object to this unless thier were at least 50% of the other tennents complaining allso i think you will find it is a joint ishue that has been addad with a load of other ishues by the solicitors they just try to cover all aspects to cover the owners,tell sky to use non abrasive fixings to ensure minimal damage to exterior brickwork and you will be ok,allso we have had about 10 of thease cases brought up and we resolved them with a short letter warning them that it was technically a breach but in the current climate we would not be prepared to lose a tennant over a trivial matter like this

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

Hi all,

After a year of putting up with Smart's appalling TV service I cancelled, bought a cheapo portable dish from Lidl and am as happy as Larry, saving €35 a month. However, our management co are apparently just about to send out letters demanding removal of dishes from balconies, and I've got very used to Freesat now!

So, does anyone in Dublin sell squish or digiglobe type dishes? Or is it the Internet as per usual? Wouldn't mind paying a bit over the Internet price for peace of mind, a flat twin lnb dish (Neovia NEO-VH200) looks to be about £180 delivered, but I don't think anyone actually sells the things in this country!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

nephster wrote: »
    (Neovia NEO-VH200) looks to be about £180 delivered

£168 delivered (to Ireland) on ebay!

benifa wrote: »
    £168 delivered (to Ireland) on ebay!

Or for £99 delivered, would this do you?

Some others here, too.

The DIGITAL SATELLITE PIPE ANTENNA is interesting. Says "performance compares favourably with dishes of 50cm" - might be a nice option, if you're in Dublin I believe 50cm is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

Thanks, looked at all those a couple of hours ago :) I'd probably go with the first one due to the twin lnb... but I was hoping Tony or some other soul would say they sold them here :(

• Advertisement

nephster wrote: »
    but I was hoping Tony or some other soul would say they sold them here :(

That might be construed as advertising by the mods but you could check out the sites listed in the supplier sticky.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement