Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest/Most Expensive Pint in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

stansgone wrote: »
    9.60 for a pint of Heiniken in McGraths Drumcondra before yesterdays Match in Croke Park. That's what u call exploiting people. robbing feckers.

If any pub can get people to pay 9.60 euro for a pint and pack the place out, i am quitting my job in the morning and opening a pub

9.60 for a pint.. no chance ..has to be for 2 pints surely.

If a barman asked me for 9.60 for a pint, i reckon i would have to be carted out of the place in an ambulance with the laughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Looking forward to the Wetherspoons opening, finally make it worth going to a pub instead of just getting cans. Places charging more than €4 a pint is a disgrace, no matter how you look at it. It just gets greedy past that. No wonder so many places have closed down.

Vitners are a shower of absolute b*stards that have ruined the pub trade in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 CiaranIRL

€5.70 for a pint of Seven-Up in the Spawell!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭tiernanobrien

paid 6.40 for a heineken in Fitzsimons there on Saturday... my own fault for going there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

stansgone wrote: »
    9.60 for a pint of Heiniken in McGraths Drumcondra before yesterdays Match in Croke Park. That's what u call exploiting people. robbing feckers.

You were definitely charged for two, I've drank there several times and found it a very nice pub. I remember talking to the owners and they were lovely people so I really can't see them hiking the price THAT much, I mean 9.60 is absurd!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

xpletiv wrote: »
    Looking forward to the Wetherspoons opening, finally make it worth going to a pub instead of just getting cans. Places charging more than €4 a pint is a disgrace, no matter how you look at it. It just gets greedy past that. No wonder so many places have closed down.

Vitners are a shower of absolute b*stards that have ruined the pub trade in this country.

4 in Dublin is ok.

Note that while I don't have much sympathy with publicans, it must be pointed out that its the dominance of the large brewers that also causes high retail prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

paid 6.40 for a heineken in Fitzsimons there on Saturday... my own fault for going there

That is robbery.........where is this pub?

It's maybe 4.40 where I am. I have seen it for 4.30 within 1 km of Eyre Square in Galway.

That's 2.00 extra, with little extra cost??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Geuze wrote: »
    That is robbery.........where is this pub?

Its a tourist rip off joint in Temple Bar ...... similar to the Oliver St John Gogerty and ' The Temple Bar ' ........ bars to avoid TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

CiaranIRL wrote: »

That's pretty much standard for a pint of any soft drink - it's just two bottles in a pint glass, and €2.85 each is not unusual.

Always strikes me as daft, given all the calls for people to drink responsibly, that at the end of the day it's invariably cheaper to drink alcohol in a pub than soft drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

MOH wrote: »
    it's just two bottles in a pint glass, and €2.85 each is not unusual.
    Yeah, so usually only 400ml, it takes 3 bottles to get a pint of coke, €8.55 in my local.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Rory1

CiaranIRL wrote: »

Drinking a pint of 7up is disgusting, think of all the sugar. I can't understand how any one cold drink that much.

Rory1 wrote: »
    Drinking a pint of 7up is disgusting, think of all the sugar. I can't understand how any one cold drink that much.
    A pint of 7up has the same sugar as 3 pints of heineken, which many would drink.

Actually in most cases they have only filled the pint with 2 miserable bottles of 7 up, so its only 400ml or so. So only the same sugar of about 2 pints of heinken.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DUB77

Was there myself the other week, can't remember the exact price fora pint, but remembered it was very expensive. I go there an odd time, usually just for 1-2 before heading elsewhere.

It was always on the expensive side, but they definitely put up their prices recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

€6 for pint of Carlsberg in Leopardstown Pavilion - they having a ****ing laugh?!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

MOH wrote: »
    If you paid €9 for a pint in Amsterdam you were massively ripped off

Paid around E6 a pint last time i was in Amsterdam ,around 6 years ago ,so E9 is possible .Amsterdam is an expensive City .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

It's €3 for a pint of Carling in the pub up the road. I was very surprised, it's not a bad pint at all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Pints of cask ale in Wetherspoons, Derry = €2.24 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

irish_goat wrote: »
    Pints of cask ale in Wetherspoons, Derry = €2.24 :D

Yeah but every time I drink in a Wetherspoons I feel a tiny bit of my soul die. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Yeah but every time I drink in a Wetherspoons I feel a tiny bit of my soul die. :(

What's the story with Wetherspoons anyway? Sorry, but I don't have a clue :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭adocholiday

The Odeon at the top of Harcourt St. in Dublin has to be the most expensive kip there ever was. I was in it a few weeks ago and got a pint of Heineken and a bottle of Corona. Was charged over €12! Said it to the barmaid and she told me that they increase their prices as the night goes on. It was €6.70 for the Corona and €6 for the Heineken. Couldn't get over it.

• Advertisement

Lars1916 wrote: »
    What's the story with Wetherspoons anyway? Sorry, but I don't have a clue :confused:

British chain of pubs. Cheap food and booze but no music or atmosphere.

If all you want is cheap booze it's your man. If you prefer a bit of character and not feeling like you need a shower when you go home then head elsewhere!

It was €6.70 for the Corona
    The title is most expensive pint, this works out at €11.53 a pint.

If all you want is cheap booze it's your man.
    It also has a far better selection than most pubs here, many in the beer forum and really looking forward to it.

If you prefer a bit of character and not feeling like you need a shower when you go home then head elsewhere!
    I know you mean a shower as in "mentally dirty" but the ones I was in were spotless. Many people equate a pub with "character" as a cheaply run dirty shithole, non matching chairs, rickety tables, 1 single piss poor stout available, toilet that makes the one in trainspotting look like a presidential suite's toilet, and surly grunting barman, and cringeworthy Oirish tat dotted around the walls still stinking of 15 year old smoke.

rubadub wrote: »
    I know you mean a shower as in "mentally dirty" but the ones I was in were spotless. Many people equate a pub with "character" as a cheaply run dirty shithole, non matching chairs, rickety tables, 1 single piss poor stout available, toilet that makes the one in trainspotting look like a presidential suite's toilet, and surly grunting barman, and cringeworthy Oirish tat dotted around the walls still stinking of 15 year old smoke.

I don't.

I first encountered Wetherspoons in airports and to be honest any time I've been in one it's always felt like a boring airport bar no matter where it's been. That's what I mean by character.

It's just lifeless.

It always seems occupied mostly by habitual day-drinkers. I prefer to steer clear of those places whether they're a chain or a pub that matches your description above.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭str|ct9

€5,45 O'Neils Dublin. Pint of Heineken. Disgusted

• Registered Users Posts: 19 FreudianSlipOn

Cheapest: Tenants E2.50 at Tynan's Bridge Bar, Kilkenny.

Dearest: Guinness around E5.00 in Whelan's, Dublin, and not even filled to the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TheBoss11

I paid €5.50 for a pint of cider in TGI Fridays

• Registered Users Posts: 19 FreudianSlipOn

"I paid €5.50 for a pint of cider in TGI Fridays"

Scandalous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

3 Euro for a pint of tennents in castlebar main street , yes there are slightly cheaper but the pub isn't in the middle of nowhere , also could never stomach a can of tennents , but the draught is spot on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Here in Edinburgh, I normally pay about £7(~€8.25) for a pint and a single and mixer. Was in Cork recently and paid €12.70 for the same.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Legg's on Leeson Street. €6 for a 330ml bottle of Corona. That's over a tenner per pint.

Advertisement