Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest/Most Expensive Pint in Ireland?

Options
  • 05-08-2007 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭

I currently live in Dublin and am usuly shocked every time I enter a pub at the prices some publicans have the cheek to charge.

Was in Galway this wekend and was amazed to still get pints of Guinness for around the 3.40 mark.

This compares quite favourably to the most expensive pint I have ever bought (5.20 in the Auld Dubliner in temple bar!!!)

Just wondering which pubs are decent value/a complete rip off in peoples experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I currently live in Dublin and am usuly shocked every time I enter a pub at the prices some publicans have the cheek to charge.

Was in Galway this wekend and was amazed to still get pints of Guinness for around the 3.40 mark.

This compares quite favourably to the most expensive pint I have ever bought (5.20 in the Auld Dubliner in temple bar!!!)

Just wondering which pubs are decent value/a complete rip off in peoples experience?

Do any Dubliners drink in the kippy 'Auld Dublin' and pay €5.00+ for crappy pints? IMO its more like the Local Lone Rangers meet the Touring Lonely Hearts joint and they're happy to pay over the odds.

Temple Bar is one big pisser of a place to go pinting. 10-15 mins any other direction for much better pints and prices, buzz etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

I paid a shockin €11 for two guinness in oliver st. john gogartys in temple bar last wednesday nite. that has to be up there as most expensive in the country...

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

I paid 5.70 for a pint of Bulmers in the Jackson Court Hotel, and 3.60 in a pub in Ballygarrett in Wexford!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭wba88

The most annoying thing a pub can do IMO is charge €5.10 for example, queues get longer as ppl start searching thier pockets for the 10c or you got a pocket full of change from a note :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Hoenestly, if you care at all what you put into your gut, cost should be the least of your worries. 3 quid muck or 5 quid quality???

You wont get a cheap pint in Dublin, unless there is something wrong with it. I'm guessing your talking about Guinness, and this is not worth drinking unless it's of top quality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Do any Dubliners drink in the kippy 'Auld Dublin' and pay €5.00+ for crappy pints? IMO its more like the Local Lone Rangers meet the Touring Lonely Hearts joint and they're happy to pay over the odds.

Temple Bar is one big pisser of a place to go pinting. 10-15 mins any other direction for much better pints and prices, buzz etc etc.

I agree but was meeting ex college friends who had friends over from different countries who wanted to see the 'famous' temple bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Not really a Bargain Alert, not sure if it belongs here either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

pint bottle of bulmers in the Auld Dub last week - €6.30 before 10pm then went up to €6.70 !:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Bought a pint of Staropramen and a Vodka and Tonic for €12.80 in Dakota last night.

Never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Hoenestly, if you care at all what you put into your gut, cost should be the least of your worries. 3 quid muck or 5 quid quality???

You wont get a cheap pint in Dublin, unless there is something wrong with it. I'm guessing your talking about Guinness, and this is not worth drinking unless it's of top quality.

That is absolute rubbish.
    General rule of thumb
    The crappier looking the pub, the better quality of stout they have, what else do you think they have going for them ?? Also, in real dives all they drink is stout, and theres a much shorter run to the kegs. Some of these larger bars have a 10 - 15 pint run from the taps and their bar staff are not even properly trained. I've rarely seen a pint of stout poured properly in any uppety bar in Dublin City Centre.

If your paying 5 euro for a pint, your paying for the renovations and funky blue lights and decor they've stuck in.

Seriously... El dumpo usually equals excellent stout.
    Superpub - Oh ... god ... Can't pour it, can't clean their lines properly, can't chill it ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Samsara, 6.20 for a pint of lager - at about 10pm.

Think a Guiness was about 5.80, and a pint of Erdinger was something like 6.60.

Only pub I know that's dearer than Cafe Insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Not the dearest but the price of a pint of Guinness in Bruxelles has just increased from 4.35 to 4.90. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

craichoe wrote:
    That is absolute rubbish.
    General rule of thumb
    The crappier looking the pub, the better quality of stout they have, what else do you think they have going for them ?? Also, in real dives all they drink is stout, and theres a much shorter run to the kegs. Some of these larger bars have a 10 - 15 pint run from the taps and their bar staff are not even properly trained. I've rarely seen a pint of stout poured properly in any uppety bar in Dublin City Centre.

If your paying 5 euro for a pint, your paying for the renovations and funky blue lights and decor they've stuck in.

Seriously... El dumpo usually equals excellent stout.
    Superpub - Oh ... god ... Can't pour it, can't clean their lines properly, can't chill it ...

Your missing my point completely. Whether it's a danky little pub(Brogans, Grogans, Mulligans), or a "superpub"(Samsara), price should be irrelevant.

The guy was looking for a cheep drink, my point is that just because it's cheep doesn't mean it's better, and just because it's more expensive doesn't make it any better either(this contradicted my earlier comment).

Drink it if it tastes good regardless, that's what i say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭sitout

Your missing my point completely. Whether it's a danky little pub(Brogans, Grogans, Mulligans), or a "superpub"(Samsara), price should be irrelevant.

The guy was looking for a cheep drink, my point is that just because it's cheep doesn't mean it's better, and just because it's more expensive doesn't make it any better either(this contradicted my earlier comment).

Drink it if it tastes good regardless, that's what i say.
    are you for real lad? seriously we are complining about the price not the taste here! obviously if you pay 5.10 for a pint your going to drink it , id drink carmilised monkey balls on a night out if i taught it would get me langers. this is not however, the point , the "pint" (pardon the pun), is super pubs charge more due to the fact that their costs are higher (rent,rates,nice jacks,sexy barmaids,neon lights all over the gaff , big fu ck off tv screens every 2 inches.....i could go on but i wont bother )and smaller pubs that have been in the families for at least two generations are cheaper because(they most probally own the premisis, 5hitty jacks probally an out house, old bearded lady working since the famine and accepts stew for payment ,candle lit, and an auld wireless hooked up to the tractor out in the yard.... i could go on but......).hence the price in temple bar is approx 2 euro dearer than "the why not" in knocknagree in north vwest cork!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 9th

Most expensive is a tie

The Vaults/Howl at the Moon 5.80 a pint of beer.
    One is 30euro in/the other is free.

Cheapest I saw recently was 2euro (fridays only) Place in Naas very near to TIME NIGHT CLUB AND THE MOTOR TAX OFFICE.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 stansgone

9.60 for a pint of Heiniken in McGraths Drumcondra before yesterdays Match in Croke Park. That's what u call exploiting people. robbing feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

stansgone wrote: »
    9.60 for a pint of Heiniken in McGraths Drumcondra before yesterdays Match in Croke Park. That's what u call exploiting people. robbing feckers.

I highly doubt that. Do you have proof?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

If that is true, its so ridiculous that I'd have to applaud them for something so brazen.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

winston82 wrote: »
    I highly doubt that. Do you have proof?

And proof as in a receipt, sounds like he was short changed.

Dicey reilys still have €2 pints/bottles/jagerbombs some days, all day. Including pints of Paulaner, a 500ml bottle of that is 2.49 in o'briens wines.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭dodzy

9.60 for a pint of Heiniken in McGraths Drumcondra before yesterdays Match in Croke Park.
    Not a hope, you were charged for 2.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Most expensive I've paid was 7.50 in Cafe en Seine.

Abroad I've paid €9 for a pint in Amsterdam and over 10 in Copenhagen.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Gandr

Century bar in Dundalk selling Tuborg at 3 euro a pint.lovely pint and a great pub.some diff from 4.30 euro in other not so great pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,505 ✭✭✭✭L1011

€3 Tuborg is common outside cities.

Back home (Donegal) the nightclub has the gall to charge the huge price of €3.75 for a pint of Heineken - that's a whole 35c dearer than the pubs :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Gandr

a pint of Heiniken in the same pub here in Dundalk is 4.30 Euro,carlesburg is the same.other pubs in the town sell Fosters on tap at 3Euro also.a big difference!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

TOTAL and UTTER BULLSH1T

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Most expensive I've paid was 7.50 in Cafe en Seine.

Abroad I've paid €9 for a pint in Amsterdam and over 10 in Copenhagen.

If you paid €9 for a pint in Amsterdam you were massively ripped off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭boarsboard

I saw some ads outside bars in Dublin

happy hour 3.20

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

Just to add a bit of variety to this thread, a pint of Guinness in the Blarney Stone bar in Shanghai, China, costs Y75, which is, according to XE.com, e9.29. And that's why I don't go there anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

boarsboard wrote: »
    I saw some ads outside bars in Dublin

happy hour 3.20

That's when it starts. Finishes at twenty past four!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Caonima wrote: »
    Just to add a bit of variety to this thread, a pint of Guinness in the Blarney Stone bar in Shanghai, China, costs Y75, which is, according to XE.com, e9.29. And that's why I don't go there anymore.

In Chiang Mai Thailand ,a pint of Guinness varyies between pubs .The cheapest a Brit pub right in the City center called the Red Lion costs B180 or E4.50 , to the dearest the bar called Number one B240 or E 6 .

Advertisement