Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker Monitor

Options
  • 25-07-2007 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭

I know this one has probably been done many times before, but since technology moves so fast thought not too much harm to bring it up again.

I'm giving my wife one of my monitors, so i need a replacement. I'd prefer a flatscreen one but wouldn't rule out a crt, I'm willing to spend a fair bit, 700 to 800 euros or maybe even a little more if I find something I really really like. My main monitor at the mo is a Dell 2001fpw and I'm happy enough with it but if I could get a flatscreen monitor with even higher resolution than 1600x1200 that would be great. Anyone got any recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭meathman 007

i got mysely the dell 2407 wft (24inch) a couple of weeks back and it is quality - dell have slashed there prices and you can get if for 750 with 3 year warranty - it is just enormous, and is full 1080p compatible - its also great for the xbox360.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

You could splash out and get a 50" HDTV which doubles up as a monitor which is on offer in Dunnes for €1499 at the moment. Actually on second thoughts it's probably a bad idea - you'd have to move your entire head to focus on another table!

this (the Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP certainly looks like it's worth the money, weighing it at a little over 24" with a native resolution of 1920*1200 pixels.

its definately worth the money...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

I just took a browse on the Dell site and saw the 3007WFP-HC* 30-inch Widescreen LCD Flat Panel Monitor, it's resolution is 2560x1600. It's reduced to £750 on the uk(where I live) site but is still almost €1500 :eek: on the portugal(where I'm emigrating to next week) site. A lotta lotta dough. Hmmm might not completely rule out a CRT.

i wouldnt get the 30 inch dell for a couple of reasons:

1. it only has dual dvi inputs - so for it to work, you must have a quality graphics card that has dual dvi outputs

2. it has no other connections for the xbox360, ps3 etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭RedJoker

2+2's monitor FAQ

They recommend the Dell 2007FP, I should have mine in a couple of weeks so I'll let you know how it goes if you still haven't decided by then.

i wouldnt get the 30 inch dell for a couple of reasons:

1. it only has dual dvi inputs - so for it to work, you must have a quality graphics card that has dual dvi outputs

2. it has no other connections for the xbox360, ps3 etc etc

My graphics card has a dvi and analog output, i presume it'll work with my graphics card, I can put my other monitor on the analog connection. I really am keen to have a big resolution, bigger than 1200 height.

I don't play computer games so am not bothered bout xbox, ps3 etc. though I can see that would be an issue for others alright.

Anyway cheers for all your opinions so far.

no your graphics card would not be good enough for the 30 inch dell - it would have to have dual dvi outputs..... 8600 gtx for example........ what site do you play on? i can easily have 4 full paddy power tables open ( without clicking on the woeful multitable option) and a web browser open on my dell 2407 at the same time......

no your graphics card would not be good enough for the 30 inch dell - it would have to have dual dvi outputs..... 8600 gtx for example......

ah ok cheers for that info, makes it an even more expensive option then if I went down that road.
    ........ what site do you play on? i can easily have 4 full paddy power tables open ( without clicking on the woeful multitable option) and a web browser open on my dell 2407 at the same time......

I play on a fair few different sites, though most sites fit 4 tables onto a 1600x1200 resolution with no overlap, not all of them do so, any of the ipoker sites like GJP and Paddypower don't as far as I can tell anyway, you say Paddypower fits 4 no problem though on the 2407, I would have thought there would have been some overlap in the height? The height is still at 1200 isn't it for the 2407? No doubt I've got something wrong here, but am confussed :confused:

luckylucky wrote:
    ah ok cheers for that info, makes it an even more expensive option then if I went down that road.

I play on a fair few different sites, though most sites fit 4 tables onto a 1600x1200 resolution with no overlap, not all of them do so, any of the ipoker sites like GJP and Paddypower don't as far as I can tell anyway, you say Paddypower fits 4 no problem though on the 2407, I would have thought there would have been some overlap in the height? The height is still at 1200 isn't it for the 2407? No doubt I've got something wrong here, but am confussed :confused:
    yea you are right there is a small overlay height wise on paddy power - but it only overlays the unimportant bits - i.e the top bar which says the tables name/stake etc and a little bit of the bottom of the chat box - not really a big deal....... i opened full tilt there and i can open 9 tables and all of them are fairly legible - might come in handy if you are a massive multi-tabler.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

I recently bought 2 x 2407, they are the nuts

valor wrote:
    I recently bought 2 x 2407, they are the nuts

I might very well go with this one then, since everyone here who has one seems to think it's the dogs b$%^&*x.

btw is it worthwhile to think about getting a CRT monitor? I know the picture quality is not as good but there's some massive screen resolutions possible with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dvdfan

So has anyone got a new monitor since and want to give a review, i have 2 monitors at the moment 1280 x 1024 and 1024 x 768. The bigger one is ok i cn play 4 tables overlapped but im used to it but the other one i can just play 1 table as it takes up 3/4 of the screen so i was looking at buying a 1200 X 1600+ monitor something in the €500-€700 region.

This will alow me to increase my poker tables from 5 table to 8 tables and i play about 20-25 hours a week so the rakeback alone should pay for it after a month or 2 so i view it as a wise investment. So is it still the 2407 FTW or is there anything better?? also is there anywhere that does good 2nd hand deals like Ebay or am i better off sticking to buying new from Dell/Komplett?

This looks Good Value
    https://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=318935

Compared with http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=ie&category_id=4009&cs=iedhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=anav&nf=24326~0~112809&navla=24326~0~112809

dvdfan wrote:
    So has anyone got a new monitor since and want to give a review, i have 2 monitors at the moment 1280 x 1024 and 1024 x 768. The bigger one is ok i cn play 4 tables overlapped but im used to it but the other one i can just play 1 table as it takes up 3/4 of the screen so i was looking at buying a 1200 X 1600+ monitor something in the €500-€700 region.

This will alow me to increase my poker tables from 5 table to 8 tables and i play about 20-25 hours a week so the rakeback alone should pay for it after a month or 2 so i view it as a wise investment. So is it still the 2407 FTW or is there anything better?? also is there anywhere that does good 2nd hand deals like Ebay or am i better off sticking to buying new from Dell/Komplett?

This looks Good Value
    https://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=318935
    yea go for the dell 2407 - i got it from here vat free - if you are buying from ireland you will get it vat free:

http://www.pcbuyit.co.uk/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=67&dept%5Fname=Dell

yea go for the dell 2407 - i got it from here vat free - if you are buying from ireland you will get it vat free:

http://www.pcbuyit.co.uk/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=67&dept%5Fname=Dell

Thats mental, same one is 1k on dell.ie and i can get it there for €550, how much is the shipping and is there any catch on the VAT thing, how come you have to pay VAT on dell but not there?

dvdfan wrote:
    Thats mental, same one is 1k on dell.ie and i can get it there for €550, how much is the shipping and is there any catch on the VAT thing, how come you have to pay VAT on dell but not there?
    not sure to be honest, but i had no problems with the vat - from what i can remember delivery is about 20 sterling, so for the dell 2407 your looking at about 385 sterling all included which is a great deal

Tried that website but it only offers me the option to sign up as a UK customer, appears as if they dont accept Irish Customers:mad:

they do, dont bother signing up - just ring the number on the website and you can do it from there

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Funkymonk83

hi,

on a similar scale i am currently thinking of buying a new desktop primarily for poker as my laptop is about to bite the dust. i was wondering if anybody can recommend anything

completely depends on your budget, but if youre after something relatively cheap yet powerful, this is a decent system:

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=ie&cs=iedhs1&kc=D4XENT03&l=en&oc=D095S5A&rbc=D095S5A&s=dhs&~ck=expbuy3

Personally i would upgrade graphics cards to the 256mb x1300 and get rid of the monitor - then go and buy the dell 2407 on the link i provided above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

I'm glad this one got brought up again.... I'm also in the market for a new monitor..... and I know nothing about resolutions or graphics cards so any help appreciated...

I currently use my 17" widescreen laptop monitor and an external 19" lcd .. they run at different resolutions as far as I know...

My graphics card is a nvidia geforce go 6100

will it bee good enough to run one of these dell machines you are talking about?

Macspower wrote:
    I'm glad this one got brought up again.... I'm also in the market for a new monitor..... and I know nothing about resolutions or graphics cards so any help appreciated...

I currently use my 17" widescreen laptop monitor and an external 19" lcd .. they run at different resolutions as far as I know...

My graphics card is a nvidia geforce go 6100

will it bee good enough to run one of these dell machines you are talking about?
    The most common resolutions on large monitors are:

1920x1200 - eg Dell 2407 - 24 inch

and

1680 x 1050 - eg Dell 2007 - 20 inch

I have my doubts the graphics card you listed would support the dell 2407 - i could be wrong though... but it is highly likely it will support the dell 2007 - which is also a quality monitor

Is there any way of finding out if your graphics card is compatible with the 2407, i just presumed most would be. I have rADEON 1300 Graphics card BTW

is it the 256mb version? - i have the 256mb x1300 and it works perfectly with the dell 2407

is it the 256mb version? - i have the 256mb x1300 and it works perfectly with the dell 2407

Yeah thats the one i have, good to know it works

dvdfan wrote:
    Yeah thats the one i have, good to know it works
    get one, you wont regret it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Samsung 204b are reasonably cheap and cheerfull.

I got a dell 2007wp through ebay from an irish lad for 220 which was an absolute bargain.

not sure to be honest, but i had no problems with the vat - from what i can remember delivery is about 20 sterling, so for the dell 2407 your looking at about 385 sterling all included which is a great deal

I suppose you wouldn't happen to know if they deliver to other euro destinations, namely Portugal.

not sure - go to the website and there is a chat box which you can click and ask live questions..... id say they would deliver to portugal

One other point which may be of interest - i know that some of the prices listed on the site may not be that accurate - the owner has had to post higher prices at dells request - however when you talk to him on the phone or chatbox, ask him what the cheapest price he can currently do on the dell monitors...

ps, ive nothing to do with this website, just think its a good deal for fellow board members

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

shoutman wrote:
    Samsung 204b are reasonably cheap and cheerfull.

I got a dell 2007wp through ebay from an irish lad for 220 which was an absolute bargain.
    yeah I'm surprised no one mentioned this, I have a 204b here in Australia which was $600 Aus or something, very similar to the 2001FP, no complaints so far.

Advertisement