Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened there?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

In the Q and A he basically says that all muslims are terrorists.
    This is why I banned him.

EDIT: Also the stuff he followed it up with about banning all Muslim schools.

So what? I could say (wrongly) that all Irish were bomb-throwers and fellow travellers and also suggest catholic national schools be closed would that be sufficent ground for a ban.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

mike65 wrote:
    So what? I could say (wrongly) that all Irish were bomb-throwers and fellow travellers and also suggest catholic national schools be closed would that be sufficent ground for a ban.

Mike.
    Are you Irish, Mike?

I probably wouldn't ban you for saying something like that if you were.
    I'd just read the post, think you're a dick and leave it at that.

If you're not Irish, then I would ban you.

Don't even ask how I know that other guy isn't Muslim.

He says in one of his posts that if he showed me his personal library that i'd be "a crazed jihadist".
    As far as I'm concerned, that guy came here with an agenda and I don't think that he should be allowed spout that crap anywhere on boards.ie.

You want to let him vent his (what I believe to be a) hate agenda on the infrastructure forum, go ahead, but as long as I'm a moderator on AH, I won't allow that crap.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

mike65 wrote:
    Nope I still don't see what material is worthy of a ban.

Mike.
    If you're talking about the siteban, it's because he threatened to sue boards.ie. That's been an instant permanent ban for a long time, and with good cause.
    Edit: Looks like Ruu only banned him for a month, I imagine had DeV/ecksor/regi etc caught it he'd have received a permanent ban.
    Should I sue you personally, or the boards owners? (I'm deadly serious, I assure you!)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

So is the criticism of any ethnic group a sacred cow then?

It would appear to me that most criticisms against the Rom are due to culture as opposed to anything that is intrinsically related to their racial backgrounds and that anyone, regardless of their genetic heritage, would be prone to the same behavior if raised in that same culture.

Apparently its all about race after all. I'll be sure not to say anything that might offend them next time they try to lift my wallet.

Like I said earlier. I've not banned anyone, and don't plan on banning anyone for criticising the Roma or any other ethnic group within reason. At worst, if things keep on getting out of hand we'll just lock threads quicker until people tone it down to an acceptable level. Similar to how we deal with threads bitching about men or women.

If it gets to the point where Traveller threads have gotten to at times, we might have restrict the discussion if it just becomes a magnet for gross generalisations that advocate abuse and/or violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

Terry wrote:
    Are you Irish, Mike?

lol

By his posts and anti any thing irish on politics I'd say born in England but brought up in Ireland.

If you filtered miker65 and Politics you would see the measure of the man.

• Advertisement

Merc is that you?

Terry, as deduced by er David Michael I'm not Irish but here longer than most of the natives on boards.ie, I'm not sure why making the distinction would be the difference between banned and not.

Mike.

Hobbes wrote:
    Which is why I said SF-lite. Yea its not a problem. It becomes a problem when most threads start to gravitate to that type of comment over and over.

I mean how many times does the same person have to keep saying deport Romas in various threads?

Roma is just the Flavor of the month.

Is that a problem or is it just a consequence of general public opinion filtering onto this site? There is, whether you like it or not, a pervading ill-will developing towards Roma in this country. It's not a pretty thing or a nice thing to be around but people are like that.

Are we to be "thought police" enforcing a particular viewpoint on the users and suppressing everything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

I'm sure it's just a phase for AH but I see it getting to the stage where someone posts about the weather and before you know it it's another boring back and forth about racism. I don't think it's a total reflection of discussions in the outside world since the last conversation I had with people it didn't end up with us arguing over who was a racist every five minutes.

Born in England, living in Ireland. Complain about the place all you want. Just quit trying to bait me.

I don't think it's a total reflection of discussions in the outside world since the last conversation I had with people it didn't end up with us arguing over who was a racist every five minutes.

Spewing bile is that much easier behind a desk somewhere well clear of immediate retribution.

Mike.

• Advertisement

homah_7ft wrote:
    I'm sure it's just a phase for AH but I see it getting to the stage where someone posts about the weather and before you know it it's another boring back and forth about racism. I don't think it's a total reflection of discussions in the outside world since the last conversation I had with people it didn't end up with us arguing over who was a racist every five minutes.

No but give some people a bit of anonymity and they can become really nasty and very outspoken. There's a higher proportion of people with axes to grind online generally.

It is what complicates moderating online discussions about controversial topics so much. In real life when people are discussing something they watch what they say a lot more if it's very controversial and generally either hold their tongue about it completely or pick their "audience" very carefully before speaking their mind about it. Online there are very few visible consequences so people aren't so careful or civilised.

mike65 wrote:
    Spewing bile is that much easier behind a desk somewhere well clear of immediate retribution.

Mike.
    Damn. so that is your trick.

Damn!

I never coped it!

Boards is like alcohol either it loosens the tongue or it distorts the personality. I'll leave it to others to decide which.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Merc is that you?

What?

Secondly..Let you self go. Your issues have been so obvious for years.Take a deep breath of Irish air and realise no one really cares.

It is not because your born british but you were born... damn I don't know.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

nesf wrote:
    Are we to be "thought police" enforcing a particular viewpoint on the users and suppressing everything else?

No. Incitement to hatred and unconstructive agenda mongering are bad, but then the line becomes blurred. I can dig out a post of mine from a few years ago that goes into more depth on this if you wish.

David Michael my appologies for confusing you with Nordie from Tyrone.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Boards is like alcohol either it loosens the tongue or it distorts the personality. I'll leave it to others to decide which.

Mike.
    Alcohol is not an excuse for tomfoolery.

ecksor wrote:
    No. Incitement to hatred and unconstructive agenda mongering are bad, but then the line becomes blurred. I can dig out a post of mine from a few years ago that goes into more depth on this if you wish.

I'd appreciate it if you could. Some idea of where the line should be drawn would be handy. The above are both instant bans from AH at the moment, but as you say the line becomes very blurred after that.

mike65 wrote:
    David Michael my appologies for confusing you with Nordie from Tyrone.

Mike.

Its ok Mike. Just get over yourself. Never mind that twat from tyroine.

Let it all go.

xxx

;)

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement