Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irritatingly Petty Cheapness - Examples Anyone ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I bought a phone a couple of years back.
    Full web acess, mp3 player, video call enabled and all the other crap the iphone has.
    It was about €250 and worked fine until I lost it.
    Don't be scammed, folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

PeakOutput wrote:
    correct

its more than an mp3 player and a phone, throw in a media player and a pda and your close, though and the user interface is easily the best out there..........i still wont buy one BUT its 599dollars so when they do get to Ireland it will prob be 350euro/400euro so if you add up how much it would cost to buy seperately what you are getting in the iphone it is easily better value.

like i said i still probably wouldnt buy one
    Im not talking about buying each thing separatly im talking about phones that do what it does cheaper and better (1000 charges on a phone is not much, a good mp3 player on a phone is far from a new idea, neither is a media player and on top of all that the phone part of the phone cant even manage 3g and the camera is average). And if you want to spend large amounts of money on a phone buy something like an N95. Now thats a phone that has a large price tag for a reason (and not just because its name begins with i)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

micmclo wrote:
    Some pubs sell "hot nuts".
    Yeah those go nice with a pint alright.
    I noticed the same thing with the false bottom, but you only get burned on it once... after that you can decide if the amount of nuts are worth the price.

My gripe is about mobile providers... pfff, I can't IRDA a java app to my phone because the phone just rejects it... yet I can download the same app through WAP/GRPS (at something stupid like 11c per KB) if I host it somewhere online... what gives? Maybe the fact that they're charging €5 for java games?
    ****, I've disabled GRPS & WAP on my phone now, they can sod off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

cooperguy wrote:
    Im not talking about buying each thing separatly im talking about phones that do what it does cheaper and better (1000 charges on a phone is not much, a good mp3 player on a phone is far from a new idea, neither is a media player and on top of all that the phone part of the phone cant even manage 3g and the camera is average). And if you want to spend large amounts of money on a phone buy something like an N95. Now thats a phone that has a large price tag for a reason (and not just because its name begins with i)

i havnt seen one phone that will play movies and i also have not seen one phone that can use wifi.

its not 3g in america because as far as i know thats not how there system works(open to correction on that) and there will be a european version and i assume it will have 3g..............i think its very stylish(much more so than the n95) and has great features to justify the price.

1000 charges apparently means 1000 cycles ie completely from ful to empty then charged to full so charging twice a week it will last you a long time but i wouldnt risk it which is why i wont be buying it.

if you can by the way show me a phone that does the same for cheaper or does more for the same price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

The-Rigger wrote:
    Hadn't heard of them, any idea's on cost?

E6 to refill my Epson ones (Cartridge World).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

Jimoslimos wrote:
    True! The margin on splash drinks is in many cases greater than the alcoholic beverages:eek:

Not to mention the greedy bastards who charge for a glass of tap water :mad:

PeakOutput wrote:
    i havnt seen one phone that will play movies and i also have not seen one phone that can use wifi.

its not 3g in America because as far as i know thats not how there system works(open to correction on that) and there will be a european version and i assume it will have 3g..............i think its very stylish(much more so than the n95) and has great features to justify the price.

if you can by the way show me a phone that does the same for cheaper or does more for the same price

It wont be 3g in Europe. Also the N95 has wifi and will play movies (actually most phones now play movies!) is an mp3 player, has gps and mapping and a 5 megapixel camera. Things it doesnt have is the touch screen (which is just a gimmick anyway) the 1 thing I will give you is that the iPhone looks good.
    I keep refering to the N95 by the way because it is the first phone that comes to mind that beats the iPhone hands down on features. There is plenty of phones that can match it I would just have to look them up first

cooperguy wrote:
    It wont be 3g in Europe. Also the N95 has wifi and will play movies (actually most phones now play movies!) is an mp3 player, has gps and mapping and a 5 megapixel camera. Things it doesnt have is the touch screen (which is just a gimmick anyway) the 1 thing I will give you is that the iPhone looks good.
    I keep refering to the N95 by the way because it is the first phone that comes to mind that beats the iPhone hands down on features. There is plenty of phones that can match it I would just have to look them up first

but the only extra that the n95 has is gps and it is what the same price as a playstation 3?

i would probably buy the n95 if its own reports of unreliability and battery life are sorted BUT the iphone is going to appeal to the mass's because of its cheaper price and better looks and almost the same features.......the n95 will appeal to the "business class" due to its outrageous price and general air of more sophistication(imo)

is the n95's screen the same size as the iphones??

at the end of the day i cant afford either so my broken 6280 will have to last another while

edit; and sorry while i said movies i actually meant good quality films i didnt mean the recorded 30 second home videos but maybe you didnt either

PeakOutput wrote:
    but the only extra that the n95 has is gps and it is what the same price as a playstation 3?

i would probably buy the n95 if its own reports of unreliability and battery life are sorted BUT the iphone is going to appeal to the mass's because of its cheaper price and better looks and almost the same features.......the n95 will appeal to the "business class" due to its outrageous price and general air of more sophistication(imo)

is the n95's screen the same size as the iphones??

at the end of the day i cant afford either so my broken 6280 will have to last another while

edit; and sorry while i said movies i actually meant good quality films i didnt mean the recorded 30 second home videos but maybe you didnt either
    If you buy it sim free it is that expensive. But why do that? Sure the GPS is the only feature that is extra but all its other features are much better than the iPhones. 3G internet, Camera more than twice the quality, it can support video calls.

I didnt mean 30 second home videos either. A memory card can hold a movie or 2 on it.

Actually now that i think about it my K800i beats the iphone on most counts (again not on the flashy touch screen and wifi but everything else).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Tinytony wrote:
    Regular chip: €3.50
    Curry chip: €4:55

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Where on earth do you live?

Here it's more like:
    Regular chip: €2
    Curry chip: €3.50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

The most profitible substance on earth is popcorn.. Costs very little to make and they sell it for loads.. Better margins on it then heroin or cocaine..

What used to be good .. popcorn just popped, is now shipped in a big plastic sack and reheated...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ginger wrote:
    The most profitible substance on earth is popcorn.. Costs very little to make and they sell it for loads.. Better margins on it then heroin or cocaine..

What used to be good .. popcorn just popped, is now shipped in a big plastic sack and reheated...
    Actually is there any way a cinema can stop you bringing in food. Because if they did it could be construed as anti-competitive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Actually is there any way a cinema can stop you bringing in food. Because if they did it could be construed as anti-competitive

I dont think any cinemas try and stop you now. The use to in the Square tallaght I have many memories as a kid stuffing food and drinks in my pockets and down my jumper.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I dont think any cinemas try and stop you now. The use to in the Square tallaght I have many memories as a kid stuffing food and drinks in my pockets and down my jumper.
    I was at the cinema a few weeks ago and didn't have a chance to get anything before hand so I got rub in the place (I didn't think it would be that bad :rolleyes:) I went to get a bottle of coke in the veding machine and it was €2.90. What a fúcking rip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I was at the cinema a few weeks ago and didn't have a chance to get anything before hand so I got rub in the place (I didn't think it would be that bad :rolleyes:) I went to get a bottle of coke in the veding machine and it was €2.90. What a fúcking rip off.

I haven't been a few years, actually I only went there in the last ten years or so when I went to college across the road and we would take an afternoon off. Still the only cinema to do buttered popcorn. I'd pay anything for that.

I wish phone's were made as good as the nokia 5110
    Mine was dropped into a pint and all and it survived

I wish phone's were made as good as the nokia 5110
    Mine was dropped into a pint and all and it survived

My dad had one of those. The things were indestructible. His got covered in dust (and then he put it in a bucket of water to clean it out :eek:), dropped about a million times including out of a moving car and also dropped into a fire (it was smouldering so it wasn't too bad) and still managed to live to tell the tale. I think the only reason he changed it was because he lost it and they had stopped making them at that stage.

i dont know if they can or not but seen as they never stop me from walking into a second film after paying for one i doubt they put effort into stopping you bringing in food.

edit; i dont think you can say 3g web is better than wifi web if you have access to wifi (but alot of people wont)

PeakOutput wrote:
    i dont know if they can or not but seen as they never stop me from walking into a second film after paying for one i doubt they put effort into stopping you bringing in food.

edit; i dont think you can say 3g web is better than wifi web if you have access to wifi (but alot of people wont)

Must try that some time.

My dad had one of those. The things were indestructible. His got covered in dust (and then he put it in a bucket of water to clean it out :eek:), dropped about a million times including out of a moving car and also dropped into a fire (it was smouldering so it wasn't too bad) and still managed to live to tell the tale. I think the only reason he changed it was because he lost it and they had stopped making them at that stage.

Yeah fcuking bulletproof:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

A Japanese friend told me that a few years back, the name of a certain electronics manufacturer (rhymes with boney) became slang in Japan for 'designed to fail after one year'. The publicity was killing them so longevity miraculously improved. They still don't have as go a rep. there though as they enjoy in Europe/USA

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

dame wrote:
    E6 to refill my Epson ones (Cartridge World).

tyvm

The-Rigger wrote:
    tyvm

theres an add on the radio for an irish website selling all printer cartridges for 5euro ill keep and ear out but the add is on newstalk

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Raiser wrote:
    Or when you spend €29,999 on a flashy new Motor, and discover to your surprise that when you get a puncture your spare wheel has been replaced by a little orange plastic circle [a wheel ?] that won't let you drive quicker than 11 kmph or further than 4.8 miles without disintegrating into dust.
    I dunno if this is true or not but is the reason for having a spare wheel that you can't drive on for too long to ensure that you go straight away and get the puncture fixed? Therefore making sure that when you get a flat you don't just change the flat tyre and leave it in your boot until the next time you get a puncture.

Just a theory but it seems plausible.

What I hate is chippers or takeaways that charge for those little portions of ketchup. "50c for that??? Ya robbing bastard!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

PeakOutput wrote:

www.gsmarena.com list of phones with wifi

PeakOutput wrote:
    its not 3g in america because as far as i know thats not how there system works(open to correction on that) and there will be a european version and i assume it will have 3g
    no it won't

PeakOutput wrote:

and a far far better camera and a radio and HSDPA (3.6 Mbps download vs a theoretical 384 Kbps on the iphone) and an AV lead to plug it directly into a tv or projector and the symbian OS and the ability to install third party apps and two loudspeakers for surprisingly high quality stereo sound and a video recorder (the iphone only takes still pictures) and mms (no picture messaging on the iphone) and its lighter and lets not forget the gps

the only features that the iphone has that phones half the price don't is the proper browser*, the big screen, the wifi and for some reason a motion sensor. the cheapest phone that pops into my mind that has wifi is the e65 which is e399 on vodafone prepay.

and if you think the iphone will be 400 euro because its 500 dollars in america you don't know what country you're living in. they tend to convert as if the exchange rate was 1:1 and then add some. just look at the 80 gb ipod. its the equivalent of 252 euro on the american apple site and 369 on the irish one. at that exhange rate (american is 68% of the irish one) the iphone will be 735 euro, just nudging out the sim free price of the n95 and hammering its vodafone prepay price of 599
    PeakOutput wrote:
    battery life
    at least you can take the battery out and replace it with a charged one without sending it back to the manufacturer
    PeakOutput wrote:
    the n70 can record very good quality mp4 video for up to an hour and can store full films with a big memory card. i can only assume the n95 does the same or better. the iphone can't even record video

*the problem of a bad browser can be solved by installing opera mini which works on any java phone. with normal phones you have the luxury of getting third party apps or even making your own if you don't like the built in software or if you want it to do something it doesn't do as standard. can't do that with the iphone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Mawg

Caliden wrote:
    All the sweets/choc bars/taytos have been getting smaller and smaller but still going up in price.
    I think this was made apparent when some bloke saved a sadbury's cream egg from the previous year and compared to the current one and there was a huge difference.

I noticed that myself, but I always thought it was me growing up and not the egg shrinking, those b*stards!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

For photo printers the refills aren't as good (just what I've heard) but for bog standard documents they are fine. Also printer ink is more expensive then rocket fuel per millilitre. It's a fúcking scam.
    rocket fuel isn't that expensive, of the 2000 tonnes on the space shuttle launch pad 90% is fuel.

refills and ebay for the ink - bad karma for HP and epson for chipping the cartridges so you can't use generic ones, really bad karma on QMS for haveing a count down to 0 system regardless of how much toner was left.
    Jimoslimos wrote:
    True! The margin on splash drinks is in many cases greater than the alcoholic beverages:eek:
    it would drive you to drink litterly
    the most expensive pint in a pub is one of soft drinks. the stuff is so much cheaper for them, splash system means no bottles just concentrate and CO2 I'd expect it to be the cheapest drink in the place, I don't like spending money in pubs for this reason and it's not a new thing either

PeakOutput wrote:
    also the iphone is only good for 1000 charges apparently
    If you can come with a battery that can do 10,000 charges and doesn't have any major downside compared to NiMH, Li , NiCAD then you'll make a fortune. if you rechared once per day , that's still 3 years. All commercial batteries fail because of the way chemical processes work, look at car batteries In the philipines the batteries don't last as long as here because of the heat and humidity. So in order to gain market share one battery manufacturere offered a three year warranty instead of the normal two year one, the idea was to convince people their batteries were more reliable but they wern't just had lonter warranties

[RANT]Hard drives - these are WAY WAY worse than they used to be, models like IBM deathstar and Quantum fireballs lived up to thier names. Considering that peoples irreplaceable data is on the them they are the one component I'd expect to be more reliable. but no they get worse every year. once a customer dropped in a 40MB conor drive in because it didn't boot, it still don't unless you tap it, it's out lasted most drives built in the 90's [/RANT]
    dame wrote:
    Replacement batteries for watches that cost E30 but you could buy a pack of ten from battery manufacturers for GBP15. :mad:

Shaws sausages are the only ones with 80% pork. :eek: All the rest have less meat and more crap. Pity about the wrappers alright though.
    In Germany you couldn't sell them as sausages because they don't contain enough meat.

dame wrote:
    Yep, and taxi drivers who say "here's your ten, I've the two here somewhere......". It's my money, just hand it over and get on to your next fare you chancer! :mad:
    words fail to convey my contempt for that type of taxi driver

micmclo wrote:
    Some pubs sell "hot nuts".
    Don't laugh at the name. They are in a display and are kept warm all day. Fecking addictive.

So when you ask for a tub, they look fairly big but the tubs have a false bottom so you actually get very little.:(
    the hot nuts - they are fraud another black mark for the LVA
    IIRC cinemas break even on ticket sales and profit comes from food or so I've head. I'd eat a lot more if it wasn't so bloody expensive, and the popcorn is just too salty you can feel your arteries hardening
    A Japanese friend told me that a few years back, the name of a certain electronics manufacturer (rhymes with boney) became slang in Japan for 'designed to fail after one year'. The publicity was killing them so longevity miraculously improved. They still don't have as go a rep. there though as they enjoy in Europe/USA
    I've never been impressed with the box the electronics came in, even back in the 80's they seemed flimsy

BaZmO* wrote:
    I dunno if this is true or not but is the reason for having a spare wheel that you can't drive on for too long to ensure that you go straight away and get the puncture fixed? Therefore making sure that when you get a flat you don't just change the flat tyre and leave it in your boot until the next time you get a puncture.

Just a theory but it seems plausible.

What I hate is chippers or takeaways that charge for those little portions of ketchup. "50c for that??? Ya robbing bastard!!!"
    If it was for safety reasons you'd be far safer with a full size wheel. And since a significant number of people don't change them it actually creates a danger to other road users like me. Balancing a wheel is cheap and quick and you can have it done when you drop in the flat to get fixed. AND BESIDES you'd have to get the repaired wheel balanced anyway so there is no saving apart from the space - and in a lot of cars the space in the boot will take a full size tyre anyway , so it must be to save the cost of the rubber.

I hate force obsolense, where you can't buy stuff that works because the supplier want's you to buy the new improved version.

It would be nice if you could buy "classic" versions of stuff
    like the reliable Nokia phones
    like proven hard drives
    like older versions of software ( even if they come with no support )

Advertisement