Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irritatingly Petty Cheapness - Examples Anyone ?

Options
  • 19-07-2007 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

I'm talking about the smalltime petty, stingy, 1/4 cent counting irritating things that manufacturers and goods/services providers do in order to increase their profits and fcuk the consumer/customer over.

So until recently when you opened a pound of Sausages the packaging was made out of nice stretchy, sticky cling film - nowadays just to save .001 of a cent per pack its crappy plastic which won't re-seal and all of your remaining sausages turn a funny colour and dry up in the bottom of the fridge.

Or when you spend €29,999 on a flashy new Motor, and discover to your surprise that when you get a puncture your spare wheel has been replaced by a little orange plastic circle [a wheel ?] that won't let you drive quicker than 11 kmph or further than 4.8 miles without disintegrating into dust.

USB printers don't ship with a USB cable [or any other fcuking cable] and the poxy ink cartridges are only 1/3 full so as to have you queueing up 3 days later for a pot of ink the size of your thumb that costs €50.

When you buy any product these days you need to keep the receipt, cardboard packaging, aeroboard packaging, plastic bags, documentation and have a photocopy of the sales assistants birth cert. stapled to a polaroid photo of them for when the product fails, falls apart, explodes - and if you're lucky enough to get it home before it breaks - burns down your house.

Anyone got any more ?

*Edit - left out a bit

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Easy Grandpa!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

Raiser wrote:
    USB printers don't ship with a USB cable [or any other fcuking cable] and the poxy ink cartridges are only 1/3 full so as to have you queueing up 3 days later for a pot of ink the size of your thumb that costs €50.]

Pisses me off too. printer manufactures make the money off the toner not the printer. i heard that in the UK the major printer manufacturers where being investigated over the fact that it was cheaper to buy a new printer than the replacement toners.

The cables bit is so they can make another couple of euro off you. they had to drive prices down for competition so instead they broke it into component parts. I bet in a few years ya'll have to buy the toner separate too.

Oh and before anyone says it, Yore Ma is getting pretty Cheap these days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Products that fail weeks after their guarantees expire. This has happened to me numerous times, and I seriously believe its intentional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Products that fail weeks after their guarantees expire. This has happened to me numerous times, and I seriously believe its intentional.

yup.i study mechanical engineering in college and we had a guest lecturer tell us that a lot of companys want their products to fail after a certain lifespan.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Raiser wrote:
    Or when you spend €29,999 on a flashy new Motor, and discover to your surprise that when you get a puncture your spare wheel has been replaced by a little orange plastic circle [a wheel ?] that won't let you drive quicker than 11 kmph or further than 4.8 miles without disintegrating into dust.

There is a bit of logic behind this one. Space saver spare wheels are designed to do that - save space and thus increase available boot space and reduce the overall weight of the vehicle.

However, now some new cars come with a fag-lighter operated compressor and a bottle of gunk that you use to repair a puncture instead of any spare wheel at all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Paddy Dignam

Is it my imagination or are mobile phones becoming less durable? Good be with the days of the aul' Motorola. Afraid to leave it on overnight in case you'd jack in the battery!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

there is a note on the guarantee that says it does not affect your statutory rights.

Goods should bee of merchantable quality and if you buy a TV you can reasonably exect it to last longer that 12 omnths and one day, so if it falls apart one day outside of its waranty, you are still covered by the sale of goods act and are within your rights to demand a epair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Grrrr... Printer Manufacturers...bad karma being built up there alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Gumbyman

I got a cat the other day and the cúnt scratched me. I was only trying to feed it. To a bigger cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Eh, are you sure you posted in the right thread?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

yeah i agree with the printer one, and another that p!ssed me off! was in mcdonalds the other day and they have no fizzydrinks cause the machine was out of order and as a replacement they had milkshakes but charged the extra they usually would... now in my mind, its their machine out of order, why should i have to pay? that plane annoyed me! also dvd players coming no scart leads...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

splinter wrote:
    now in my mind, its their machine out of order, why should i have to pay?
    You had the option of not buying a milkshake :)
    But of course, in the interests of customer care, you'd think they'd charge less. But it's McDonalds. What's customer care?

Have to say I agree that mobile phones are becoming far less durable.

The older phones I had, never used to spontaneously stop working, reboot themselves, or otherwise become faulty over time. The last two phones I've had have done all of these things. The keypads also become less sensitive over time, which also never happened to me before. Apart from that, modern phones get scratched to ****, and look very shoddy and wrecked after about 3 months in my pocket.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

but if i chose not to buy it then i have to get the rest of the meal ya get me? i have to buy the stuff seperate.. bah, just ticked me off at the time... maybe im teh petty one :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Cheapskate dell PCs; not supplying operating system discs with computers anymore:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Raiser wrote:

USB printers don't ship with a USB cable [or any other fcuking cable] and the poxy ink cartridges are only 1/3 full so as to have you queueing up 3 days later for a pot of ink the size of your thumb that costs €50.

Cost of ink cartridges is a major major (*100) rip off.

I don't have a printer, my dad told me that he pays €45e for a colour ink cartridge and €25 for a black one. (Edit, still expensive considering what it is, but, a lot less.)

Straight on to ebay. I can buy a colour and a black cartridge for 28euro total, delivered.
    Total saving €48.

There are also kits you can get where you can put the ink in yourself, haven't tried that, dunno how well they work/difficult/messy it is, but they are only 3-4euro, might try it...

Also, they will buy old cartridges back from you, so they say, for a few euro a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Charging silly price for the little piece of butter to put on your roll when you buy soup somewhere. That annoys me!

The price of a splash in bars. You want your vodka with a splash of lime,etc and they charge you €1+ depending on bar for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

All the sweets/choc bars/taytos have been getting smaller and smaller but still going up in price.
    I think this was made apparent when some bloke saved a sadbury's cream egg from the previous year and compared to the current one and there was a huge difference.

Man those sausage packs were a god send but now :(
    Also talking about sausages makes me hungry!! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The-Rigger wrote:
    Cost of ink cartridges is a major major (*100) rip off.

I don't have a printer, my dad told me that he pays €45e for a colour ink cartridge and €25 for a black one.

Straight on to ebay. I can buy a colour and a black cartridge for 28euro total, delivered.
    Total saving €48.

There are also kits you can get where you can put the ink in yourself, haven't tried that, dunno how well they work/difficult/messy it is, but they are only 3-4euro, might try it...

Also, they will buy old cartridges back from you, so they say, for a few euro a go.

For photo printers the refills aren't as good (just what I've heard) but for bog standard documents they are fine. Also printer ink is more expensive then rocket fuel per millilitre. It's a fúcking scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

jester77 wrote:
    they charge you €1+ depending on bar for it!

You still pay it though, don't you. That's business for you - they'll charge whatever they can get away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

For photo printers the refills aren't as good (just what I've heard) but for bog standard documents they are fine. Also printer ink is more expensive then rocket fuel per millilitre. It's a fúcking scam.

Maybe they are not, dunno.

The dad just uses them for letters really, so they should do the job.

It is a serious fcuking rip off though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

jester77 wrote:
    The price of a splash in bars. You want your vodka with a splash of lime,etc and they charge you €1+ depending on bar for it!
    True! The margin on splash drinks is in many cases greater than the alcoholic beverages:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Jimoslimos wrote:
    Cheapskate dell PCs; not supplying operating system discs with computers anymore:mad:

Packard Bell are the same.

I no longer buy rip off computers anymore, I just build them now myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Raiser wrote:

When you buy any product these days you need to keep the receipt, cardboard packaging, aeroboard packaging, plastic bags, documentation

by the way back when i was in secondary school and learning consumer law we were told that we didnt need proof of purchase if the product does not work as described or breaks..................dont knwo if it is true or not but it has gotten me numerous replacements from different shops (up to a year after purchase) when they say i need a receipt sorry and i say "well actually the law says".

may help in future

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The-Rigger wrote:
    Maybe they are not, dunno.

The dad just uses them for letters really, so they should do the job.

It is a serious fcuking rip off though.

Neither do I, it's just what I've heard but for printing out letters and the like they're grand. It's insane though a new ink cartridge with the ink in it costs about €40, a refill kit costs less than a tenner. What a fúcking mark up. Next time you're buying a printer get an epson. Their ink is meant to be the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jimoslimos wrote:
    The problem now is that if you give out about this stuff, the fluffy crusties will shout you down citing the environment.

Jimoslimos wrote:
    True! The margin on splash drinks is in many cases greater than the alcoholic beverages:eek:
    That's very true a bottle of miwadi only costs about a euro or two yet they charge a euro for a tiny bit. What's the bets that they just keep the miwadi bottles and fill them with tesco value orange juice?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

In my local Eddie Rockets they refill the Heinz ketchup bottles with cheap nasty stuff.

My pet one though is the way newsagents increase the price of a 500ml bottle of soft drinks by 5c every six months. Without fail. Don't know whether it's Coke and C&C doing it or the shops but thinking of complaining to the Competition Authority about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

jdivision wrote:
    In my local Eddie Rockets they refill the Heinz ketchup bottles with cheap nasty stuff.

My pet one though is the way newsagents increase the price of a 500ml bottle of soft drinks by 5c every six months. Without fail. Don't know whether it's Coke and C&C doing it or the shops but thinking of complaining to the Competition Authority about it.

unless you think its cartelism(sp) then it has nothing to do with the competition authority. more than likely its just inflation......whats has inflation been recently??? 5% so 5% of 1.20 is a little more than 5c so that could be it.

hate to take the side of the retailer on that one but it just struck me as being a non issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Jimoslimos wrote:

my computers shagged and i dont have the operating disk thanks a bunch dell!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Apple, who supply the manual on CD. If my computer goes dead, that's when I need the manual, eh? How am I going to look at it then, eh?

All electronics makers that urge you to register your product as soon as possible - then limit upgrades to people who've only registered x many months ago.

Maplins, who refused to give me my money back when their DVD 50-pack wouldn't work on my Mac. For the sake of €30 they lost my custom, and that of the people I was always sending in there.

Someone should tell these companies that making their customers hate them is not good for repeat business.

Advertisement