Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irritatingly Petty Cheapness - Examples Anyone ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Clonakilty sausages are still wrapped in the sticky clingfilm. They're the nicest sausages anyway. Or wrap your sausages in the stiffer plastic they come in, and wrap that in clingfilm. It's not a major deal.

Epson cartridges are the cheapest because they're the smallest and imo from experience Epsons aren't great. HP printers all the way - you can get the cartridges refilled, and over the years we've had about 5 of them for the various PCs, the two most ancient ones are gone but the other three still work fine. /me pats printer on head.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I see Denny cumberland ham slices have gotten about a third smaller, still the same price though. DANM YOU!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

PeakOutput wrote:
    unless you think its cartelism(sp) then it has nothing to do with the competition authority. more than likely its just inflation......whats has inflation been recently??? 5% so 5% of 1.20 is a little more than 5c so that could be it.

hate to take the side of the retailer on that one but it just struck me as being a non issue
    5c every six months equals just under 10 per cent. the fact they all do it at the same time strikes me as either the drinks companies agreeing it or RGDATA stating members should do it. It's been happening for last four years at least so inflation wasn't always that high. The other thing is that food inflation has actually been way below level of inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

10p crisps rose in price to 20c after the change over.
    Some were also reduced in size from 20g to 16g.
    This really pissed me off because I love cheap corn snacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

When you buy a pack of smokes in a NI pub and you only get 16 inside, instead of 20!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

biko wrote:
    When you buy a pack of smokes in a NI pub and you only get 16 inside, instead of 20!

they are cheaper than a 20 box tho............its the same in germany but its so they can sell them at even prices like 4 euro for 18 instead of 4.70 for 20 or at least thats what they told me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

When they ask you for the extra 1c of petrol you accidently put in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Should be a feckin memory card in digital cameras when you get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

When they ask you for the extra 1c of petrol you accidently put in.

Tell them you accidently put in €10 worth. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

judas101 wrote:
    yup.i study mechanical engineering in college and we had a guest lecturer tell us that a lot of companys want their products to fail after a certain lifespan.

:eek:

Really!!! with what type of systems ?

Im thinking of getting a nice cinema system .. if i fork out €1000 for speakers and an AMP i hope it's not gonna banjax in a year !!
    same for the 37" LCD !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Max_Damage wrote:
    Packard Bell are the same.

I no longer buy rip off computers anymore, I just build them now myself.

Same here, I find building your own system gives you more freedom in the sense that you don't have to pay for useless software, peripherals and "support services" which charge 3.00 euro/min.
    Dell really took the biscuit when they moved into retail selling with Walmart:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

A regular burger: €2.00
    A Cheese burger: €2.50

Now since when did it cost 50c for an easi single??

Also curry chips (or any chips with sauce)

Regular chip: €3.50
    Curry chip: €4:55

:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Should be a feckin memory card in digital cameras when you get them.

Some do but they are tiny in terms in megabyteage so you end up getting a new one anyway. :( Dell as mentioned, 18 euro for a USB cable for your printer. They also used to sell their Dell wallpaper for 5 euro (it is still there somewhere). :)

jackdaw wrote:
    Really!!! with what type of systems ?

Im thinking of getting a nice cinema system .. if i fork out €1000 for speakers and an AMP i hope it's not gonna banjax in a year !!
    same for the 37" LCD !!

apparently ipods have a built in thing like this were they break after a certain amount of time

also the iphone is only good for 1000 charges apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Shops that sell ham & stuff in " handy re-sealable packs" but when you open the pack the feckin lid tears in half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

PeakOutput wrote:
    apparently ipods have a built in thing like this were they break after a certain amount of time

yep, stuff like that.

think about it; apple undeniably have a great product in the ipod but if it lasted forever they'd have sold far far less of them.

i've bought 2 ipods in the last 4-5 years. great pieces of technology but are engineered to fail.

most power showers are like that too as well as hoovers ect.

i dont think it's common practice for premium electronics (plasma screens ect.) but you never know.

ideally the manufacturers want to provide a good product that the consumer is happy with so when it eventually breaks they buy another. a lecturer of mine calls it the ipod principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

PeakOutput wrote:

Apparaently eh? My missus has had her iPod the last two years or so and it's still going strong. I suspect that's an urban myth type thing.

eo980 wrote:
    Apparaently eh? My missus has had her iPod the last two years or so and it's still going strong. I suspect that's an urban myth type thing.

i didnt say what the length of time is and also i have had an ipod that broken after a year and a half so your wifes still working does not prove anything. I do believe that the people iv heard this off know what they are talking about as im sure the other poster believes that his lecturer is not lieing for some sort of shock value

google it anyway and you will find alot of stuff on it some sound bull**** some sound researched

edit; it would also be fairly stupid if they had something in them that broke them exactly 365 days after being turned on.....it is much more likely to be something like including a battery that CAN last 4 years but the majority of them will last 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Replacement batteries for watches that cost E30 but you could buy a pack of ten from battery manufacturers for GBP15. :mad:

Why don't you folks all head to your nearest Cartridge World and refill your cartridges???????????????????????? ;)

Shaws sausages are the only ones with 80% pork. :eek: All the rest have less meat and more crap. Pity about the wrappers alright though.

Oh, and by the way, the engineered to fail thing is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

shop attendants who dilly daddle in getting the 2 or 3 cent change hoping you will just walk off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

MooseJam wrote:
    shop attendants who dilly daddle in getting the 2 or 3 cent change hoping you will just walk off

Yep, and taxi drivers who say "here's your ten, I've the two here somewhere......". It's my money, just hand it over and get on to your next fare you chancer! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

dame wrote:

Why don't you folks all head to your nearest Cartridge World and refill your cartridges???????????????????????? ;)

Hadn't heard of them, any idea's on cost?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Toffypops. I used to really love toffypops, but they're absolutely tiny now. It's so mean. They're probably more expensive too.

bluewolf wrote:
    Toffypops. I used to really love toffypops, but they're absolutely tiny now. It's so mean. They're probably more expensive too.

are you sure you didnt just grow up???

i noticed this about jaffa cakes aswell but apparently they are the same size its just me that has gotten bigger

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

PeakOutput wrote:
    are you sure you didnt just grow up???

i noticed this about jaffa cakes aswell but apparently they are the same size its just me that has gotten bigger

i'm absolutely positive

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Tesco ready meals. They only half fill the packets.:mad:

Boxes of biscuits where the plastic liner beneath some biscuits is raised up so theyre all nice and level at the top but the biscuits only go half way down. And its always the nice choccy ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Some pubs sell "hot nuts".
    Don't laugh at the name. They are in a display and are kept warm all day. Fecking addictive.

So when you ask for a tub, they look fairly big but the tubs have a false bottom so you actually get very little.:(

When you spend 5-6euro in Supermacs on a meal and they they charge you extra for ketchup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

PeakOutput wrote:

Is the iPhone as retarded as the iPod so that you cant replace the battery?

I dont see what all the hype about that phone is anyway its a crappy phone with an average mp3 player attached you can buy much better already except they aren't wrapped up in the shiny touch-screen package. And they are charging 100's of euro for it now thats a rip off!

cooperguy wrote:
    Is the iPhone as retarded as the iPod so that you cant replace the battery?

correct

I dont see what all the hype about that phone is anyway its a crappy phone with an average mp3 player attached you can buy much better already except they aren't wrapped up in the shiny touch-screen package. And they are charging 100's of euro for it now thats a rip off!

its more than an mp3 player and a phone, throw in a media player and a pda and your close, though and the user interface is easily the best out there..........i still wont buy one BUT its 599dollars so when they do get to ireland it will prob be 350euro/400euro so if you add up how much it would cost to buy seperately what you are getting in the iphone it is easily better value.

like i said i still probably wouldnt buy one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Have to say the worst I've encountered is the printer cable one. Bought a printer (with no USB cable obv :rolleyes: ) and the sales attendant directed me over to a stand where they sell USB 2.0 cables for Eur24.99 each:eek: Word of advice: you can just buy a cheap Chinese USB1.0 cable for about a fiver from most independent computer stores!

Advertisement