Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how sick can u get??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Seriously though while horrible things like this do happen it's really not as bad as what used to happen back in the day. I mean throughout history stuff like this was commonplace and if you think of the much smaller population the world had in those days these kinds of incidents were much proportionally. In todays world we thankfully live in a more civilised society overall, hopefully it will continue to get better and these kind of things will die out. I'm not going to hold my breath though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

kevmy wrote:
    I'm not going to hold my breath though.

You'd be well dead if you did! Just makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside when you hear about child traffiking in a paedo-ring, people blowing themselves up, blowing others up, infidel this and ji'had that, murders, rape, beatings, guerallia warfare in Africa, etc.

Makes all your own problems feel petty sometimes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

Drax wrote:
    Another example of how the human gene pool has become contaminated. :rolleyes:

why do you hate epileptics?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

Dudess wrote:
    Yeah, would you care to elaborate?

My two first cousins (brothers) suffer from epilepsy. In school people used to make fun of them and I always stood up for them - saying that 'epilepsy is so cool' - just to make them feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

While what they did was despicable and their sentence seems lenient it certainly isn't as bad as some of the other sh1t going on around the world, have a look at basically any of the cases in http://www.crimelibrary.com/ for some truly sick people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

What those three did is exactly the sort of stuff people pay almost €10 to watch in cinemas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

My two first cousins (brothers) suffer from epilepsy. In school people used to make fun of them and I always stood up for them - saying that 'epilepsy is so cool' - just to make them feel better.

Yes Mr Capture.
    Because you aren't known for spouting all sorts of crap.
    Anyway thats enough troll food for one day.

Drax wrote:
    Yes Mr Capture.
    Because you aren't known for spouting all sorts of crap.
    Anyway thats enough troll food for one day.

That 10 year-old English girl killing her brother is a creepy story.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

OMG, those sentences are a complete joke considering what they did to that man! :mad:

Archeron wrote:
    I agree that the sentence is a joke, but is everyone REALLY that surprised that this stuff happens? There are people out there that do much much much worse stuff involving cannibalism, torture, rape, and God knows what else. While this story is sickening, I wouldnt exactly call it shocking. Just another passing article in a litany of utter misery that can at times be the modern world we all live in.

No matter what horrors you can dream up, chances are someone out there is doing it to someone else.

I totally agree with you Archeron.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

The girl looks very sorry in the picture but the two men look evil. Perhaps she was dragged along and is abit naive herself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No, she just looks sorry that she got caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ste05 wrote:
    it certainly isn't as bad as some of the other sh1t going on around the world
    But why make that point? Does that therefore make this story that little bit less horrific and that little bit more ok?
    Drax wrote:
    Another example of how the human gene pool has become contaminated.:rolleyes:
    why do you hate epileptics?
    Eh, how the hell did Drax indicate that he/she hates epileptics by making the above comment to you after your "epilepsy is so cool" comment?
    Perhaps you could have made that point originally so, instead of sticking up a cryptic, trollish comment.

No, she just looks sorry that she got caught.

That's the most likely explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭-TK^Creator

i wonder if they would have gotten a larger sentance if the victim had survived when police had found him... or maybe a shorter sentance...

10 years too short, obviously it was premediated to then had to have a plan to get rid of him when they were finish collecting his money. couldn't jsut let him go after that time and not expect jail time...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Lets face it, if she was sorry she could've notified police, she is just sorry that she got caught, not an ounce of empathy for anyone else in her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

There's a place called the cuckoo's nest where you should feel right at home.

What these people did is very sick and 10 years is a lenient sentence. These are exactly the type of people that jail was invented for, people who need to be removed from society.

Saying 'there's worse things in the world' hardly does anything to lessen what they did. It's worse than simply putting a bullet in someone's head or killing someone in a fit of rage, there was a level of planning and premeditation here, systematic torture.

Though I can't understand why the guy didn't try to escape? Or did he? I mean unless they were pointing an AK47 at me I'd be putting up a hell of a fight. It seems strange.

I'm not sure how the guy having epilepsy is even particularly relevant. It's pretty unlikely that caused his death. Would the pathologist's report not have given the likley cause of death?

aidan24326 wrote:
    Saying 'there's worse things in the world' hardly does anything to lessen what they did
    Yeah, I really don't see the logic of that earlier post. So his suffering, while extreme, was not on a par with a stint in Abu Ghraib under Saddam, therefore we need to bear that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Archeron

Dudess wrote:
    Yeah, I really don't see the logic of that earlier post. So his suffering, while extreme, was not on a par with a stint in Abu Ghraib under Saddam, therefore we need to bear that in mind.

I dont know if its my post you mean, but when I said I am surprised at how shocked people are, that terrible things happen everywhere, I didnt mean it in a way to try to lessen the evils of this case, which is; of course, 110% sick. I just meant that I didnt understand the jaw dropping levels of shock that some people were displaying, as if they have never encountered this type of horror (and worse) before.
    I honestly thought most people had become desensitized to the malicious monsters that lurk in the world, so maybe I'm way too cynical. Then again, maybe I should just stop reading true life crime books and seeing the dark hearts that so many seem to possess.

Of course, I agree wholeheartedly that those perps should be shot into the sun instead of a menial prison sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

That is pretty shocking:eek:, but these issues are to be expected nowadays.
    Those ****ers should be burnt alive:mad:

• Advertisement

aidan24326 wrote:
    I'm not sure how the guy having epilepsy is even particularly relevant. It's pretty unlikely that caused his death. Would the pathologist's report not have given the likley cause of death?

Exactly, you'd hardly expect the C.S.I. team on T.V. to go:

Grimson: "Oh, wait a minute. He was epileptic, that's probably how he died. Case closed!"
    D.A.: "But what about the truama to the cranium? Or the broken legs?"
    Grimson: "I said he was epileptic didn't I, case closed. I'm taking the rest of the day off"

Cue credits!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

aidan24326 wrote:
    Though I can't understand why the guy didn't try to escape? Or did he? I mean unless they were pointing an AK47 at me I'd be putting up a hell of a fight. It seems strange.
    Well, first they beat the living crap out of him and tie him up. That leaves him pretty unable to move, and thus incapable of escape. Then after about 3 days of no food and little water, he's far too weak to put up any sort of fight. Continual torturing and beating would also have left him exhausted and weak. At a certain point he would be either unable to attempt to escape, or terrified that as soon as he did, he'd be caught and killed.

Archeron wrote:
    I dont know if its my post you mean
    No it wasn't your post, Archeron, it was the following one:
    Ste05 wrote:
    While what they did was despicable and their sentence seems lenient it certainly isn't as bad as some of the other sh1t going on around the world, have a look at basically any of the cases in http://www.crimelibrary.com/ for some truly sick people.

Also this:
    xzanti wrote:
    Tis pretty gruesome alright but I've heard worse

And this:
    kevmy wrote:
    Seriously though while horrible things like this do happen it's really not as bad as what used to happen back in the day.

Seriously pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Duggy747 wrote:
    Exactly, you'd hardly expect the C.S.I. team on T.V. to go:

Grimson: "Oh, wait a minute. He was epileptic, that's probably how he died. Case closed!"
    D.A.: "But what about the truama to the cranium? Or the broken legs?"
    Grimson: "I said he was epileptic didn't I, case closed. I'm taking the rest of the day off"

Cue credits!

i pray for an episode of CSI to play out like that.
    Lets see your blacklight handlamps solve the mystery of "how the justice system actually works" now!

aidan24326 wrote:
    The judge said that although unlikely, the possibility of death caused by the guy's epilepsy could not be taken out of the equation. My brother's a solicitor and can't understand the judge's decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kkcatabroad

Campaigners fighting for justice for Shed of Death victim Kevin Davies have taken their case to Britain's top lawyer.They have written to the Attorney General Baroness Patricia Scotland hoping she will make sure the three people who tortured, beat and imprisoned the Lydney handyman before his death serve their full sentences.

If you wish to support the campaigners please sign the petition:
    http://www.petitiononline.com/SRpet1/petition.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Signed it but you know what is said about internet petitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Sherifu wrote: »
    Signed it but you know what is said about internet petitions.

Not worth the paper there written on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

As much use as a chocolate fireguard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

philstar wrote: »
    How sick can you get?

Well, I could probably bang my sister at a push. If it was a competition, like.

Advertisement