Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else quit or quitting?

Options
  • 03-07-2007 3:09pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,i recently saw an article on wow insider about the number of subscribers to wow falling off at a signifigant rate.
    Coincidentally it was on the day i had cancelled my subs.
    Anyone else see a fall off on their realms?
    What about yourselves,are you long time players bored yet?
    Im just bored to tears with it unfortunately.
    Still say its the greatest game ever made,its kept me engrossed almost 3 years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I quit recently.

I was in a high end raiding guild who were making pretty good progress. My reasons were that the only aspect of the game I got any enjoyment out of anymore is raiding and I'm no longer willing to put the amount of time and effort that it takes into it anymore.

So I said goodbye to my guild and cancelled my account after 2 1/2 years. I've no ****ing idea what to do with my time now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Well i tbh i dont see what the big rush is to get to lvl 70 what do you get out of it oh you get to raid wow thats it your gonna get bored eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I made it to 67, now I'm so bored I don't want to hit 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Evolute wrote:
    Well i tbh i dont see what the big rush is to get to lvl 70 what do you get out of it oh you get to raid wow thats it your gonna get bored eventually.
    I enjoy raiding more than I enjoy lvl'ing, infact I don't like lvl'ing much at all, so theres your reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Raiding and friends are pretty much the main reason I continue to play for - raiding because its just so so much fun.
    Idd though about the accounts though, I've seen such a large amount of players quite especially in the last month quiting. I guess it's just a case of the game being around for ages now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

please hurry warhammer online :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

sunzz wrote:
    please hurry warhammer online :(

And oh god let it not disappoint...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 karlrules

Anyone play lotr: online ? Also cant wait for warhammer, pirates of the carribean and pirates of the burning sea !

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I have LOTRO,like it at first then didnt like it and went back to wow,now ive quit wow ive re subscribed to LOTRo to give it another chance to grow on me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭BKtje

I do still enjoy the game but no longer have time for various reasons. Thing i enjoyed doing was raiding and it looks like i won't be able to prepare for it for a few months so i may very well end up cancelling my account.

• Advertisement

I do still enjoy the game but no longer have time for various reasons. Thing i enjoyed doing was raiding and it looks like i won't be able to prepare for it for a few months so i may very well end up cancelling my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I'm working for the summer, and with a load of people away there's less going on during the week so I've got more evenings to kill, and a lot less time in general. Means I'm raiding 2 or 3 times a week, at a fairly relaxed pace. We've cleared Kara, Maulgar and doing what we can to Gruul.

Had I come from a more... aggressive raid background I'd almost certainly have abandoned the raiding aspect of the game, and probably the game itself. Raiding's changed. Class balance has become king, and there's so much less scope for idiots. It took our best players a dollop of luck to finally get the Prince, a fairly luck based fight. If I'd been 40 manning BWL/AQ even I'd feel pretty pissed at the prospect of 10 man wiping.

10/25 rather than 20/40 is easier to find numbers for in theory, but you lose a huge amount of flexibility. As well as that, how the hell do you relax in a raid anymore? You have to be switched on, it's that simple. (I'm a rogue, not the hardest of classes to play, but if you aren't paying attention there's usually some melee ability to kill you.

We saw a slow drop off at the onset of TBC, mainly attrition due to the levelling process. What really stung us was the month or so between dinging 70 and starting on Kara. Internal guild drama and the long process of waiting to gear up and get everyone attuned saw a huge chunk of players just quit.

Simplest way to look at it is this, pre TBC, from 1.11 to 2.0 we had a huge number of players. We'd have over 40 online most evenings, and had around 120 accounts. Nowadays we have around 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Kiith wrote:
    And oh god let it not disappoint...

Won entry to the closed beta and have been playing most of the day,

It is still very early but having played WoW since the US Beta I have to say that WoW is in serious trouble,

It just feels much newer and there's more stuff to do. Whereas LOTR feels like a WOW with a nice big name license this just feels like the next step in MMORPGs,

Played for about 4 hours and only hit level 4 but at the moment my Black Orc is owning. Only greenskins and dwarves available at the moment so I couldnt roll a witch hunter :(

Not enough people playing to know how the RvR stuff is gonna work but it looks amazing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

WellyJ wrote:
    Won entry to the closed beta and have been playing most of the day,

It is still very early but having played WoW since the US Beta I have to say that WoW is in serious trouble,

It just feels much newer and there's more stuff to do. Whereas LOTR feels like a WOW with a nice big name license this just feels like the next step in MMORPGs,

Played for about 4 hours and only hit level 4 but at the moment my Black Orc is owning. Only greenskins and dwarves available at the moment so I couldnt roll a witch hunter :(

Not enough people playing to know how the RvR stuff is gonna work but it looks amazing.
    You jammy ******!!

Whats it like? Tell me...dont tell me...tell me!!! God damn you NDA :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

ill be cancelling my sub too shortly.

end game is just too demanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

krazy_8s wrote:

I felt like this at the beginning of May. stopped playing at lvl67 and cancelled sub....4 weeks later I was back and couldn't get to 70 fast enough. Not sure for how much longer though. Do enjoy the instances though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Semi-retired now. I quit my guild of 9 months (contained people I had played with for 18 months) a few weeks ago, respecced my priest to purely PVP shadow and rarely log to use him these days. My warrior is 67, and cba reaching 70. Bought LOTRO and now play that primarily in a guild formed by some old WoW mates who also left/are leaving (log through the Eldar server and /tell Shart if you want a guild with 1 irish guy and a handful of scandinavians).

Patch 2.0 was the beginning of the end for me. I was in a guild that had cleared MC/ZG/AQ20/Ony and killed chromaggus in BWL, and spent my non-raiding time PVPing and trying to increase ranks. As soon as patch 2.0 came out, people stopped showing up for raids cos the loot that could be obtained through PVPing was better than raiding loot, and it really showed some of my guildies (and even some officers) for what they were - lootwhores who preferred epics over the fun of raiding. Also, all the ranks that I had built up were made redundant, and idiots who were terrible at PVP were walking around in rank 12/13 armour, so it lost all meaning to me.

When TBC came out, I took my time leveling but was happy to have reached 70. Got myself moderately geared up, got attuned to kara, but made the conscious effort not to raid until my summer exams were finished. In the meantime, I logged to level my warrior and keep an eye on LFG to see who needed priests. Also in the meantime, our GM left because kara progress was crap and we were still getting people attuned while guilds who were smaller or less progressed than us pre-TBC had started to clear it.

When I came back after exams, so many of the old members had gone their separate ways so the guild didn't really feel as homely as it had. My gear was still pretty rubbish (only 950 +healing) and needed a lot of runs to get better gear and rep for rewards, but my motivation was gone. I had a huge amount of work to do, and it just felt pointless. Even my guild still hadn't cleared kara, so I just left it and am happily guildless.

Jimeatsmenu - was that Slackers of Azeroth? They were a pretty sweet guild, sorry to hear it.

Got some time the last couple days and joined mag and gruul and wednesday and last night got a first time kill on hydross in SSC followed by a 3% wipe on lewt reaver. Been a while since i enjoyed the game that much, really a pity i dont have time more often :(

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭-TK^Creator

im the opposite i jsut went back to wow after about a year not playing it. bought second accout and have on alptop now aswell so bro + i can play same time i never got into the high end stuff just rly liked pvp had a 53 mage and 39 rogue was good fun but then it just got boring. then went back to play css but atm started back playing wow with a good group of clanies from css ( a css clan lsot in wow) and having a good time we all started new chars and are all with 3 lvls of each other only lvl 22 but still great fun jsut doing all the starting stuff again but kinda remembering what to do and being in a group. great fun but then i dont see it as a chore to get best gear etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Im new to the game but so far what i can see is that everyone is aiming for the best gear. It would make you think about not bothering in getting up to level 70. I also feel i have missed the boat and am about 3years to late for this game. When i look around me i see lots of 70's and the Server im on there is a clan called EZ with about 400members and only take in members who are 70's and only if you have the best gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Stopped playing last week decided enough was enough taking up way to much time for what a Toon....

Dropped My
    Lvl70 Human lock
    Lvl70 NE Rogue ( Pre TBC Main - Done Mc/Bwl/Aq40/Naxx Four Horsemen )
    Lvl70 Blue berry Shaman

Raided 5 some week 6 days a week cleared Scc, up to kael in Tkk
    My Main was my shaman dripping in epics.

There is a lot more to wow than just raiding though that is the biggest thing to do at end game. That said there are plenty of guilds around looking for people to start doing the basic raids and therefore won't require the best loot.

How easy it is to get into one depends on your class and server of course.

if you don't feel like raiding (time or cant be arsed) there is PvP as well which doesnt require nearly as much time investment on a regular basis. Tbh when i first played the game i just loved lvling and exploring so if it is your first time then don't powerlevel your way up.

Just my 2 cents worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

BadCharlie wrote:
    Im new to the game but so far what i can see is that everyone is aiming for the best gear. It would make you think about not bothering in getting up to level 70. I also feel i have missed the boat and am about 3years to late for this game. When i look around me i see lots of 70's and the Server im on there is a clan called EZ with about 400members and only take in members who are 70's and only if you have the best gear.
    Don't let any of this put you off getting to 70 and enjoying the end game content. It is a great game and the PVE aspect of it can be the most satisfying thing. A lot of the people who have quit since TBC came out (and there are a lot of them) did so because the game felt different since TBC came out. Not necessarily worse, just felt like a different game.

As for guilds only taking in 70s - this is common practise, and the majority of guilds who raid do this, and do it for a very good reason. Basically, end-game raiding needs a lot of planning and organisation, and when you are trying new content, the level of difficulty involved means that in order to get anywhere, a raid leader needs a selection of players that he/she can depend on to know how to play their class well, and to be online at the right time. Trying to organise 25 players to be online per night can be incredibly difficult (i was a GM once - needless to say, the guild never took off), and once a guild who is organised enough to raid every night (and make progress every week) can stand on their own feet, they only invite people who they feel will benefit their progress. Even then, they invite someone for a number of weeks (depends on guild policy), usually under the title of 'trialist', so they can evaluate how good they are at playing their class and/or how actively online they are.

If you haven't reached the level cap and are playing casually in a nice friendly guild (as most of us did in our early levels), you might think that endgame raiding and guild policy is pretty harsh. But trust me, once you reach 70 and play alongside an array of different players, you will realise that there is a damn good reason for it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

krazy_8s wrote:

I felt the same.

The Tempest Keep instances have held my interest.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im delighted i quit now.
    Im enjoying LOTRO so much,it does everything so much better than wow.
    TBC ruined wow for me unfortunately,as has been mentioned the game just wasnt the same anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 290 ✭✭Tak3n

i didn't have to quit they perm banned my account for "spreading rumours about blizzard"

When all i did was ask the question in the forums of whether or not it was true blizzard [Allegation Removed], which in fact they were and its on a few news sites if you google it.

Roll on warhammer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

What is warhammer going to be out in europe ?

Still playing WoW and am enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Warhammer is set for an early 2008 release,

I have played WoW since the US Beta, I have a 70 of each class (apart from shammy :p )

And since starting the beta of WAR I have not logged to WoW once.

It really is the end of warcraft as soon as this game hits.

I am sure Blizz are planning to coincide there next expansion with the release of Warhammer which should be fun.

Now don't take me as a WoW hater, I love the game, just do not have any desire to play it anymore after playing this beta for 3 weeks.

Just my two cents :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

Signed up for european beta, can't wait :D

• Advertisement

I'm thinking of cancelling my sub too now. Haven't loaded the game in almost a week (well i havent loaded ANY game in almost a week). Though i'll prob be back to it or something else when i'm back at uni when my money for other things start runnign dry again.

Advertisement