Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favorite Restaurant in Greystones??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

astrofluff wrote:
    Tomato...I got a flyer in last week for a catering company (a company that makes lasange dishes, peppered chicken dishes etc....sounds like deli stuff really) up in Kilcoole but was for collection only...can't remember the name but definitely remember it's in Kilcoole...hope this helps in your quest!

Sorry for being off topic ....

@Fishdog...Bochelli's is cheap and cheerful (at Greystones prices)...its relaxing cause its not uncomfortable like other restaurants (love the Hungry Monk but the owner can be a bit...well I don't want any legal proceedings against me!.. Actually think the wine bar is fantastic - atmosphere, food, etc are brilliant)

As for Chakra...need I say more...best restaurant in Ireland ( I love my rogan ghosh)
    Ate in Bels for the second time on Saturday night and despite jet-lag and almost falling asleep at the table, service was improved over my first visit, but there's still room for improvement. Food was much better this time out too. The lamb was fabulous. Creme Brulee needs bit more brulee (burnt sugar top or caramelised if you like).

Last night was the Hungry Monk. Great food and service as ever! I know what you mean about the owner, but you do get used to him. At least you're getting some attention. How many restaurants have you been in where you nearly have to beg just to get a glass of water?

I haven't been to Bocelli's for a few weeks, but it's always good for a quick meal on the way home from work. Sorry to see Surly the Waiter (from Bels before it closed) found his way down the road, but hey ho! Soon he'll be a legend in Greystones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Bottle or draught?

Bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

I haven't been to Bocelli's for a few weeks, but it's always good for a quick meal on the way home from work. Sorry to see Surly the Waiter (from Bels before it closed) found his way down the road, but hey ho! Soon he'll be a legend in Greystones.[/QUOTE]
    ''Hey! Surly looks out for one guy;Surly'' (seven Duffs)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Jackalb

My favorite at the moment is Backstage@bels on the church road, we were there last Friday and had a ball - the food was great -my steak with crispy onions and home made chips was excellent and the milk chocolate mouse was mouth watering - my friends were all as pleased as I was - the price for the 4 of us for 3 courses with wine and coffe worked out at 45 per head - not bad for the quality and atmosphere . I hav'nt tried Chackra yet but will do soon.

Keith and Steves Cafe Del Fiora at the Charlesland centre is excellent for brekkie and coffee. Sandwiches at lunchtime are good also and they allow BYO wine from next door. Nice guys too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

And the voluptuous dark haired waitress that works on a Sunday is just lovely:) !!

foxy06 wrote:
    And the voluptuous dark haired waitress that works on a Sunday is just lovely:) !!
    Dont know if she'd like that description. But yes, she is very nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Too chatty for my liking. ;)

(joke)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I know I'm going off topic but I see there is movement on the fit-out of the Chinese Take Away unit beside Godfather's Pizza in the Charlesland Shopping Precinct.

I don't think Indian Spice have any competition...

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

They're tapping along, the toilet's in, that's a good start.

I'd say we'll be sorted within a couple of months, should do real well.
    astrofluff wrote:
    I know I'm going off topic but I see there is movement on the fit-out of the Chinese Take Away unit beside Godfather's Pizza in the Charlesland Shopping Precinct.

I don't think Indian Spice have any competition...

• Advertisement

is it not going to be a fish and chip shop?

foxy06 wrote:

The applciant was "Lee" and it was supposed to be a Chinese. Some rumours of family misfortune so not sure if this has changed or not, but the notice was up for ages with nothing being done.

Was walking by there this evening and saw a drawing hung up on the wall inside...I could just about make out a curved section on the plan which is close to the entrance...you can see the curved section being set-out already so it looks like there'll be a fairly small reception area..anyways, wow lots of progress..at this rate they'll be open by Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Yiz all know Brays Pizza 'n Cream is opening up somewhere in Charlesland don't ye?

Was chatting to Jan the Dutch Manager of the Bray outlet and He mentioned somewhere off the Kilcoole Roundabout. Would this be shopping Precinct you are talking about?

Calibos wrote:
    Yiz all know Brays Pizza 'n Cream is opening up somewhere in Charlesland don't ye?

Was chatting to Jan the Dutch Manager of the Bray outlet and He mentioned somewhere off the Kilcoole Roundabout. Would this be shopping Precinct you are talking about?
    Probably Eden Gate SC

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jellybaby21

foxy06 wrote:
    thats what I was told myself

I think people just assumed it was going to be a chinese because they had Chinese names on the planning application but apparently it will be a fish and chip shop....only time will tell.

the 'chip shop' planning file

It says take-away hot food on the planning application for change of use.

Kinda vague as to what it could be so I'll have to rely on Hear-Say on this one...personally would prefer a chipper than a chinese take-away!

astrofluff wrote:
    the 'chip shop' planning file

It says take-away hot food on the planning application for change of use.

Kinda vague as to what it could be so I'll have to rely on Hear-Say on this one...personally would prefer a chipper than a chinese take-away!

The Applicant Names: Monita Chan & Raymond Li

Now if I was to have a wager ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭new arrival

€100 for me

Exactly Marcais.......... it's a change of use from "Office" to retail/food, where there would be many more health & safety conditions and of course air conditioning etc....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,856 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

review of 3 Qs in this mornings Metro.

mostly positive, they give it 3/5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

I would give it 5/5:D

fishdog wrote:
    I would give it 5/5:D
    same

Well at least you agree on something!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 burnaby

Have tried
    Diva Feb 07,
    Vino Pasta early 06,
    Hungry Monk (upstairs twice in Nov 06 and March 07 and downstairs in Nov 06 and Jan 07),
    Backstage @ Bels July and August 07 and (Bels Bistro as it was) in Oct 06
    Royal Park twice in 06 and March 07.
    Happy Pear - June 07

Bels is excellent - great value, good service, food well presented.

Diva - can be noisy when pianist in hammering the ivories, but food is above average.

Hungry Monk - excellent. slightly pricey, but worth it if you want to treat yourself (or someone else).

Vino Pasta - I believe it has changed hands. If so, I hope the new owners do better, as it was 'poor to average' 18 months ago.

Royal Park - standard Chinese fare, pleasant dining area, efficient service.

Happy Pear - slightly alternative. Imaginative. Healthy.

What would I choose?

For cheap and cheerful - Bells Bistro / Backstage @ Bels

For an evening meal - Hungry Monk.

For a light snack - Happy Pear

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Tomato

Have been to the Hungry monk a number of times. Each times have left feeling a bit like a second class citizen, what is it with that lad Nicholas and his condescending attitude? I work in the Hotel business, have had a number of hiccups in the H.M but have always gone back as I know first hand how tough the business can be. He never fails to be chatting on the phone whilst pouring your wine and god help you if theres no table available because you are made feel like crap just for asking. Went up again today at lunchtime on the off chance and it was pretty busy, asked the waitress if they had any tables and hey ho got attitude again, threw her eyes to heaven and snapped at us that we would have to go ask Sam at the bar.

With lots of new places opening in Greystones they would want to start making an effort to be nice to people. God forbid they may ever have to actually work for the business coming through their door.....

Tomato wrote:
    Have been to the Hungry monk a number of times. Each times have left feeling a bit like a second class citizen, what is it with that lad Nicholas and his condescending attitude? I work in the Hotel business, have had a number of hiccups in the H.M but have always gone back as I know first hand how tough the business can be. He never fails to be chatting on the phone whilst pouring your wine and god help you if theres no table available because you are made feel like crap just for asking. Went up again today at lunchtime on the off chance and it was pretty busy, asked the waitress if they had any tables and hey ho got attitude again, threw her eyes to heaven and snapped at us that we would have to go ask Sam at the bar.

With lots of new places opening in Greystones they would want to start making an effort to be nice to people. God forbid they may ever have to actually work for the business coming through their door.....
    Eccentric people often come across as being rude. Just laugh at it. He is not going to change at this stage of his life and his restaurant is otherwise excellent. Who in the world lists a full page of Chablis? Only a nut?.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

Hi there, does anyone know if Chakra do their Early Bird Menu (Fab value!) on a Friday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 hon79

hi there
    Chakra definitely do an early bird on Fridays - it's a firm favourite of mine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

Thanks a mill, hon79, will book it so! We've been before earlier in the week and can't believe what great value (and how delicious) it is - long may it continue!!!

Thanks again!

Advertisement