Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love Ulster loyalist parade again: Yes or No?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ctc_celtic

in an ideal Ireland, the government would say 'yes please come'
    but no one else would bother to come or protest,
    there would be no fuss, no one in Dublin would give a hoot about it and there would be no press coverage.

if there were no complaints or no publicity, i bet you they would not come again.

But unfortunately this is the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Would they let a "Love the Republic" parade in the north without a protest? I dont think so. They are only trying to aggravate people and they shouldnt be allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

cooperguy wrote:
    Would they let a "Love the Republic" parade in the north without a protest? I dont think so. They are only trying to aggravate people and they shouldnt be allowed.

Try Paddys day , it would be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

PeakOutput wrote:
    as far as i remember the orange men were only a small part of the parade last year but it was that small part that caused the problem.........

You remember wrong it was a well organised sinn fein/ira/scumbag effort that caused all of the trouble. Wheelie bins full of bottles and bricks mysteriously appearing in back streets the night before.
    Every scumbag in dublin encouraged to go in and wreck the place.

Worked tbh.

let them do what they want but get the MayDay gardai on duty and let them sot out the scumbags.

kdjac

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Zambia232 wrote:
    Oh and if I remeber right in the last riot , there was no huge effort to get to the Orange marchers ....but the sports shops no amount of Gardai could protect them

What you mean there was no effort to get to the orange marchers? They were chucking bricks and fireworks at them before they could even leave the starting point. If the riot squad wasn't between the 2 groups then you can rest assured that the Loyalists would have gotten a hiding.

I don't think the parade will be granted this time, because the Gardaí know what will happen.

I think the Loyalists should be allowed to march, and we should be allowed to turn up and protest peacefully (ideally turn our backs and remain silent), because it is clearly intended to antagonise Republicans (and chuckies....). They knew what response they would receive last time, that's why they did it -- show how victimised they are.
    KdjaCL wrote:
    You remember wrong it was a well organised sinn fein/ira/scumbag effort that caused all of the trouble. Wheelie bins full of bottles and bricks mysteriously appearing in back streets the night before.

Yeah, cos Sinn Féin gained so much politically from organising a riot... The perfect strategy: try to show ourselves as democrats -- and then remind everybody of our violent history. Unless you mean RSF.

And you can rest assured that no preperation was necessary: O'Connell Street was a building site while the parade was supposed to be taking place. Whoever let them go down that route is a f*cking moron.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Big fat NO from me....the Queen is welcome on her state visit or whatever and any ulsterman is welcome south of the border, but leave your damn regalia and rhetoric at home

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

KdjaCL wrote:
    Every scumbag in dublin encouraged to go in and wreck the place.

Worked tbh.

let them do what they want but get the MayDay gardai on duty and let them sot out the scumbags.

half of what you say is true the other half is pure crap

the cause of the trouble was the fact that the orange order were marching down oconnel street im not using it as an excuse but it was the cause

i dont automatically link sinn fein to the scumbags just like i dont automatically link the orange order to terrorists.............when i was there the sinn fein members were peacefully placed behind a barrier at the end of oconnel street blocking the way as far as i could see..............

the trouble makers were indeed the celtic shirt wearing scummers BUT i blame the orange order equally for imo deliberately provoking them

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How about organising it for 9am Sunday? Little chance of the scumbag element being up then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Victor wrote:
    How about organising it for 9am Sunday? Little chance of the scumbag element being up then.

Thats a good Idea

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

How about a 'Love Ireland' or 'Love Leinster' parade through Belfast city?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,011 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Just the place to get back to Dutch roots.....

http://www.iowagreatlakes.com/_communities/_orangecity/index.asp

There was alot of rubbish printed about the march in the media last time. They had alot to answer for the violence on the day.

There were no Orange men in the march, at least none dressed in the sash and bowlers.

On the face of it, it was a march organised by families to protest against the killing of their family and friends. But it was organised by Willie Fraizer a bigot and **** stirrer of the highest degree.

That said its a free country. Let them march let them make their point let them go home. I find it funny indeed ultra republicans are against this march. There is zero possibility of a united ireland without acceptance of all traditions on this island.
    Banning marches because you don't agree with their point of view is not a sign of a healthy democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

does anybody still not know what they were thinking at all, having the march go past a building site? I mean ok the rioters rioted but don't make it easy for them, the gardai ****ed up

but the most impressive thing they did that day was to put a line of riot cops in their gear across oconnell and took the **** for 20 minutes to give time for the ulster bigots to go around to the dail and play their tunes !

they outsmarted the rioters in that way.

but will everybody note 5 minutes into the video, the group of sinn fein activist sat down in the road... they sat down and went limp to be dragged off, quite tame really...

I still don't think this march should go ahead. it'll be much harder to stop, why doesn't the garda./gov just say a polite no to love ulster, they banned marches before.

see the guy pictured chucking the wheelbarrow only just got convicted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

ronoc wrote:
    There was alot of rubbish printed about the march in the media last time. They had alot to answer for the violence on the day.

There were no Orange men in the march, at least none dressed in the sash and bowlers.

There were 6 bands at that parade, all in sprightly red uniforms with unique hats on their heads.
    See here http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=HvzRObOkpOU , wait till it reaches 1m:15sec to see one band and you'll find the media were right.
    The bands even 'marched' outside the dail that day as a symbolic protest after when they couldn't march there directly from Parnell St..

gurramok wrote:
    There were 6 bands at that parade, all in sprightly red uniforms with unique hats on their heads.
    See here http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=HvzRObOkpOU , wait till it reaches 1m:15sec to see one band and you'll find the media were right.
    The bands even 'marched' outside the dail that day as a symbolic protest after when they couldn't march there directly from Parnell St..

A band.. They aren’t Orangemen my friend. Maybe you should avoid St patricks day if bands offend you.

I notice you conveniently avoided my other points

ronoc wrote:
    A band.. They aren’t Orangemen my friend. Maybe you should avoid St patricks day if bands offend you.

I notice you conveniently avoided my other points

What are they then?...They escape from the Gate Theatre? :)..Enlighten me :)

Other points, lose the triumphant sectarian bands, Willie Frazier is indeed a bigoted loyalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

gurramok wrote:
    What are they then?...They escape from the Gate Theatre? :)..Enlighten me :)

Other points, lose the triumphant sectarian bands, Willie Frazier is indeed a bigoted loyalist.

the band in that video arent orange men but you can see the orange order flag in the background beside the union jack in the first 20secs or so

they were there with their sash's on and their flag raised even if they were in armani suits they should not be let march representing their biggoted organisation simple as............i have no problem with the rest of the march going ahead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

no right to march

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I voted No. Let them use the Port Tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Yes, despite last year's riot in Dublin which arose out of Willie Frazer's Love Ulster march, he wants to march in Dublin again. Again he is trying to use the excuse of seeing is Dublin a tolerant city, knowing full well that a small group of thugs may cause trouble, thugs who are not representative of the people of Dublin. Today the Love Ulster people are to meet with the Garda Síochána to investigate the possibility of doing it all again. There is of course a chance he may end up lost in Cork today, as he still thinks Dublin is in the south of Ireland. In relation to marching and geography it begs the question: "Will he ever learn?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

MAYPOP wrote:
    No. It is deliberatly provocative, and serves no purpose in my opinion.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

gandalf wrote:
    BTW if we all dressed up with bowler hats and marched with them I'd say this would be the last time they ask for a March :D

Ya know if ya got a few thousand people to turn up in bowler hats & green sashes in front & behind them it would make some sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

First off, it's sh!t stirring, plain and simple. They want to make out that were mindless thugs, and sadly there's a group of society more than happy to prove them right.
    Second off, QUIT LIVING IN THE PAST. So a few of you were killed by the IRA, big deal, alot of people were killed by the UVF too, we dont demand marches through Belfast waving tricolours and shamrocks. Were trying to move forward here, and you're not helping things with your petty little march.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Absolutely not. Pointless march that will lead to trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Why do they want to do it again? Didn't the victims get their "awareness" out to the media last year? Same thing will happen again if they come back down, the skangers will be waiting for the hard-ass republicians to make the 1st move and hey-presto.......riot & looting. This march would prove nothing more than it already has and will only insight more trouble regardless if we want a united Ireland, period.

P.S. I'd love to deck Willie Frazier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

ronoc wrote:
    That said its a free country. Let them march let them make their point let them go home..

The point being that the Republic is a free country, but they do not belong to it. As a poster previously said, nobody is looking for a Love the Republic parade for all the victims of the UVF through Belfast, so why should we allow these "victims" to march through our capital?

If it is given the go ahead, then a part of me is hoping they get the same response as last year, so the organisers of this might finally take the ****ing hint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

The point being that the Republic is a free country, but they do not belong to it. As a poster previously said, nobody is looking for a Love the Republic parade for all the victims of the UVF through Belfast, so why should we allow these "victims" to march through our capital?

If it is given the go ahead, then a part of me is hoping they get the same response as last year, so the organisers of this might finally take the ****ing hint.

too fu*king right, if this was interweb land, the people of Dublin would be calling them Trolls.

I hate Trolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

This parade must not happen.

I am from Ulster, and sure I want people to love me as much as people from Leinster, Munster and Connacht want to be loved. However, those provinces do not hold parades.

This parade is dripping with ulterior motive. The Orange Order will say that they want to inform us of their heritage. The institution is just full of big red faced fat bigoted men who all think they are pillars of society, yet they are probably the most racist, bigoted, ultra right wing fcukers you'll ever meet. Another thing, they called the parade Love Ulster, but they meant Love Northern Ireland. It drives me bloody mad when people use the word Ulster but are not meaning Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan. Unionist politicians make that mistake all the time. Those counties could have been in Northern Ireland were it not for the cynical gerrymandering at the tmie of partition so that Unionists could be sure of a majority in the North of Ireland.

The parade should not happen and I in no way align myself with the views of that lot.

Generally speaking though, you should love Ulster. I hope you do :D

Apparently, gardai have reputedely agreed to another parade which will now be bigger than the last one.
    On the radio this morning, it was proposed to be 3000 people including 25 loyalist bands, hardly a victim march.

Do we want to import bigots here? :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I have no problem with it. Come, let them march.
    Just so long as the gardai have a decent plan to deal with any attempts to re-create last years fiasco.

If they are simple **** stirring as some people believe, then a march without incident would be the perfect solution, if theres nothing to stir up, they'll loose interest

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement