Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love Ulster loyalist parade again: Yes or No?

Options
  • 20-06-2007 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

On Rte website, its reported that the Love Ulster organiser of last years parade is seeking permission for another parade from the gardai for a parade next month in Dublin. (http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0620/dublin.html?rss)

Curious as to what the opinion of boardsies to this, would you accept/reject/don't care about this parade of Orange marchers along with 'victims' through the city of Dublin especially after last years serious riot?

Love Ulster loyalist parade again: Yes or No? 337 votes

Yes -parade including Orange marchers & 'victims'
    0% 0 votes
    Yes -only a parade for victims without Orange marchers
    16% 56 votes
    No
    15% 51 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    68% 230 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

gurramok wrote:
    On Rte website, its reported that the Love Ulster organiser of last years parade is seeking permission for another parade from the gardai for a parade next month in Dublin.

Curious as to what the opinion of boardsies to this, would you accept/reject/don't care about this parade of Orange marchers along with 'victims' through the city of Dublin especially after last years serious riot?

as far as i remember the orange men were only a small part of the parade last year but it was that small part that caused the problem.........

i have no problem with a love ulster parade with no orangemen............in principle i dont want the orange order marching in dublin but not enough to go and cause trouble about it...............the furthest id go is probably to bring my "william of orange was a catholic" poster which is actually true apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Pretty stupid idea considering they weren't shown much "love" the last time they came to the Republic. I see no point in this parade other than to stir the proverbial ****. The request should be rejected outright. Let them march through ****ing Ulster if they love it so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Yes, let them back. They're irl trolls. I admire that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

PeakOutput wrote:
    as far as i remember the orange men were only a small part of the parade last year but it was that small part that caused the problem.........

i have no problem with a love ulster parade with no orangemen............in principle i dont want the orange order marching in dublin but not enough to go and cause trouble about it...............the furthest id go is probably to bring my "william of orange was a catholic" poster which is actually true apparently

Yes, i agree here.
    I voted Yes, for a march without Orange involvement like marching bands, i don't want a sectarian march through our city.

Any other group which is not sectarian, like a victims group is welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Unbelieveable

I don't like this at all. Like they're trying to make a point that we're somehow responsible for Republicans killing their friends & family.

You don't see friends & family of 9/11 victims marching in Damascus.

I'm not a provo by the way - if anything I'm an Irish Unionist.

• Advertisement

You don't see friends & family of osama bin laden marching in new york.

fixed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

You don't see victims of the UVF marching through Ulster in some self important fashion, so why should we allow this??

i dont understand the objection to victims marching anywere to be honest.........

the problem is not the victims its the orange order or any group of its nature

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Any citizen group has the right to march peacefully. People who seek a United Ireland, like me, want the people of the North to be citizens.

What sort of message are we sending out to unionists if we even hesitate to let them march?

Ibid wrote:
    What sort of message are we sending out to unionists if we even hesitate to let them march?

the message would be something along the lines of...........we have no problem with you marching in commomoration of the victims but you cannot bring down a group solely to antagonise our population
    (which weather you like it or not it does)

i have no problem with unionists as a group i just dont see why they would even want to have a unionist march in a country they want nothing to do with ACCEPT for the sole reason of causing trouble

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dave D

Did you see what happend last time.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXTfM0DVDCQ

PeakOutput wrote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bottle_of_Smoke
    You don't see friends & family of osama bin laden marching in new york.

fixed

fixed

Should be against boards rules to quote people like that! For a second I thought I'd actually typed that unthinkingly!

I assume you're referring to UVF members being part of the march?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Folks what better sign of A changing Ireland than allowing the bandsmen to simply march though Dublin.

Zambia232 wrote:
    Folks what better sign of A changing Ireland than allowing the bandsmen to simply march though Dublin.

We don't have a problem with it, we just know what would happen

Oh and if I remeber right in the last riot , there was no huge effort to get to the Orange marchers ....but the sports shops no amount of Gardai could protect them

Zambia232 wrote:

we do not live in an ideal world............which for me would include everyone watching to turn their back on the orange men and being silent...........its never gonna happen........

You can blame whoever or whatever you want but their presence will cause trouble and that should not be allowed happen

smoke; i do not assume the family and friends of osama are members of any terrorist organisation, do you???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

No. It is deliberatly provocative, and serves no purpose in my opinion.

We don't have a problem with it, we just know what would happen

Last time was a how not to plan a contentious parade the Head garda involved should have been displayed ass first on the spire.

With a decent organisation it should be no bother...

Zambia232 wrote:
    Oh and if I remeber right in the last riot , there was no huge effort to get to the Orange marchers ....but the sports shops no amount of Gardai could protect them

i was there(work very close by nothing sinister) and it was about 5 people breaking into the shops and looting..........................the funniest thing was a sinn fein protester running from the peaceful protest to a looter shouting "this is a peaceful protest" a knocking the looter the **** out............i left for the train at that stage

PeakOutput wrote:
    smoke; i do not assume the family and friends of osama are members of any terrorist organisation, do you???

Family, no

Friends, more than likely

What did you actually mean then?

• Advertisement

Zambia232 wrote:
    With a decent organisation it should be no bother...

the gardai didnt cause the riots they just dealt with them fairly badly..........you have to fix the problem not treat the symptoms...........the problem was the orange men(not citizens of our country) aggravating citizens of our country(granted un desirable citizens of country)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Happy days - the muppet show is coming back:rolleyes: You know they are just doing this for a reaction........

PeakOutput wrote:
    we do not live in an ideal world............which for me would include everyone watching to turn their back on the orange men and being silent...........its never gonna happen........

I would say dont go ... but your option is your right to do so.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I don't see why anyone bothers to march for anything tbh, but I don't care if they do really. Let them do it I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Please, please come back.

Have the Gardai in riot gear.

And the Gardai can get revenge on Anto, Deco and the RA-heads. At least the Gardai and Army will be prepared for their antics this time.

Its just a walking excuse to get rid of our own scum. At least the Orange Order have a return ticket.

Zambia232 wrote:
    I would say dont go ... but your option is your right to do so.

I can almost guarantee you i wont be there either way unless like last time i have to be in town anyway im not the protesting, peacefull or otherwise, type so i will leave them to it...........

PeakOutput wrote:
    the gardai didnt cause the riots they just dealt with them fairly badly..........you have to fix the problem not treat the symptoms...........the problem was the orange men(not citizens of our country) aggravating citizens of our country(granted un desirable citizens of country)

True but i dont remember the Gardai having to deal with the orange men. Plus if you take offence by the mere presence of an Orangeman you really need to get out more.

Zambia232 wrote:
    True but i dont remember the Gardai having to deal with the orange men. Plus if you take offence by the mere presence of an Orangeman you really need to get out more.

Its not that i take offence as much as i think they are a bad organisation created to celebrate a not so glorious event/person that is irrelevant to todays society but is kept going because it gets a reactionary responce wherever it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

TBH the problem last time were the Celtic Jersey wearing weekend republicans who saw it as an opportunity to cause trouble. Also what genius in the Gardai allowed a march on a Street that was effectively a building site.

I think it should be allowed but this time with adequate policing with proper planning.

BTW if we all dressed up with bowler hats and marched with them I'd say this would be the last time they ask for a March :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

dermo88 wrote:
    Please, please come back.

Have the Gardai in riot gear.

And the Gardai can get revenge on Anto, Deco and the RA-heads. At least the Gardai and Army will be prepared for their antics this time.

Its just a walking excuse to get rid of our own scum. At least the Orange Order have a return ticket.

Your naive to think the Garda are rather good at policing, anyone living in no-go areas will disagree with you :)

They won't go around cracking heads because

1-Garda ombudsman will be watching them like a hawk as a test of their policing
    2-These ain't mayday student type protesters, they'll draw in the local skanger hardman population in huge numbers looking for a fight and the gardai ain't very pushy when dealing with those types for fear of injury despite their Robocop gear
    3-They will do their best to contain any trouble if they organise their policing strategy properly, its what they do best.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement