Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 malteasermia

Passed! Third time lucky, woohoo! Had done test twice before in Rathgar then decided to try a new area when that centre closed for a fresh start.

I've been taking lessons the last few weeks with a great instructor in Raheny, he took me through all the routes, identified all my weaknesses, realised that I got very nervous and hyper when I started making mistakes and just got me to calm down a lot and drive normally! Pre-test/lesson running through all the technical and theory in the morning helped a lot too (did it in instructors car, since its a lot nicer to drive than the car I'm insured on at home). Got 4 grade 2s, all deserved and need to be worked on. Tester was really nice and friendly, not overly chatty during test, but not unfriendly at all, and was very clear about which turns to make.

Huge weight off my shoulders, and would 100% recommend my instructor for anyone if they're looking around Raheny!

Thanks to everyone on this board as well, I've been stalking it the last month and reading all the successful posts gave me a bit of confidence that passing the test can't be impossible! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Thanks to everyone on this board as well, I've been stalking it the last month and reading all the successful posts gave me a bit of confidence that passing the test can't be impossible! :)

I used to say, "if every idiot can do it, I can too". Until it took me four tries :) Good job, you.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭cailin.

Passed this morning on my first attempt in Raheny! Had a really sound tester and I managed to get 3 Grade 2s which were deserved! Feeling relieved it's all over after a few weeks of uncertainty, and the RSA cancelling my test 3 times in 2 weeks! Patience and common sense got me there in the end. Delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

Passed my test in Raheny last Saturday on my first attempt. I'm normally quite a calm person but the week leading up to the test was easily the most nervy and anxious I've ever felt. I'm 39 and only took my first lesson exactly a year ago. In my mid 20's I witnessed a horrific accident in which 3 people died instantly. I wouldn't get into any car for a year after that and it put me off driving completely given what I saw that day. It took a lot of courage to finally get my act together and now that I've passed it feels like a major achievement for me.

Can't thank my instructor enough. He was very thorough, patient and was really good at building my confidence up. Would easily recommend him as the Raheny routes can be very tricky and tight in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Passed on 3rd go in Raheny. Wasnt sure at all walking back in to the centre but thrilled to get the nod. Tester very clear about turns and instructions which helped a lot. 4 grade 2s, lucky not to get more! Got a couple of lessons off 2 different instructors beforehand, would be happy to recommend 1 to anyone doing their test in Raheny; the other one, not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dennyk

Passed on my first try in Limerick. Two Grade 2s, both more than fair; one for going a bit too fast on the road out of the Mungret test center, and one for being a bit closer than the tester liked to one set of parked cars on a narrow street. Honestly, my reverse around the corner was sloppy as hell, too, so I'm surprised I didn't get dinged for that, but I did make all my observations properly and I did stay in my lane at least, so I guess it was good enough. Glad I passed, because I only have a few months left that I can drive on my US license. Should make it easier to find reasonably priced insurance, as well, since I'll be able to shop around now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

dennyk wrote: »
    . Should make it easier to find reasonably priced insurance, as well, since I'll be able to shop around now.
    what is the " reasonably priced insurance" you talk about???

Congrats though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dennyk

bpb101 wrote: »
    what is the " reasonably priced insurance" you talk about???

Congrats though

Most likely a pipe dream, I'm guessing. :pac: Still, at least I will have options, even if they're all equally bad. (And to be honest, I was paying more in premiums for a fraction of the coverage in the US, so even if mine goes up a few hundred quid it still won't be all that bad, relatively speaking...)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,202 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Passed over the weekend at my first attempt. At 26 I picked it up again after quitting driving 4 years ago for reasons I'll never know. Didn't think I'd pass but up ye bhoya!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭loughrey2887

I passed first time in Mullingar yesterday with only three marks. My two pretest instructors a few days before told me I'd fail so I didn't bother with any lessons the day of the test to hear that negativity and knock my confidence. The tester was surprised that I was surprised I had passed as he said I was an excellent driver with him, which is better to hear from an RSA tester than from an ADI. I got one of my marks for the reverse even though that was my best maneuver which I've never ever screwed up on from the first day I did it. He took me to do the reverse in a place that wasn't on the test route. It put me off as there was no kerb at all with nothing to distinguish the road from the pavement so I had no frame of reference to look into the wing at and ended up swinging wide. He said my observation was perfect, though. Must have been the hardest place to do a reverse in a test ever. He tried his best to catch me out with observation doing something I've never heard a tester do. He had me just stop randomly at the side of the road five times (not including the regular stops for the turnabout, reverse, hand signals etc.) and as soon as I'd stop he'd tell me to pull off again but I got the MSMM routine to a tee so he didn't manage to catch me on that. He popped me onto the duel carriageway too and had me hit 100km/h and then exit out of that. i had thought I had failed after I made a mess of the reverse and figured that's why he wasn't marking anything after that so couldn't wait for him to just take me back and give me the bad news the instructors felt I'd get but surprisingly passed me with just 3 marks overall.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend a pretest on the day unless your instructor is consistently giving you positive feedback as their negativity from the results only knock your confidence going in and will probably be the complete opposite of your actually test results which might be a lot more positive. Instead just got for a spin around if you feel you need them that day and tell them not to mark you. My situation is proof that ADIs can be way off with their pretests and don't assume that what they tell you about how you'll do, be it good or bad, will be how you'll perform on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I passed on Friday in Churchtown. It was my second attempt and I'm really delighted with myself that I did it. My first test was during absolutely torrential rain and I could barely see a thing - my backwards around the corner was a disaster and a bloody cat jumped out at me on a residential street! I was so relieved the second time around went better.

I can't wait to get my license in the post and take off the L plates :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Yaaaay passed yesterday in Gorey! Third time lucky as they say..... Delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

Passed driving test in Churchtown!!! First test of the morning. This was my fifth time. Did it four times in Tallaght and then decided to go to Churchtown.
    I did three pretests. Each of my instructors said that I'll get it this time. I didn't. On top of that, I had to deal with family members making fun and complaining about me failing and the stress of the Leaving Cert. No matter what never give up. I was crying and frustrated over it but look at me now!!!! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Just passed the test in Tuam this morning first try :pac: Got 6 grade 2 faults: 2 for observation at junctions, 1 for progress when turning right (I didn't go into a yellow box junction because I thought that was a big no-no if you couldn't clear it, but it's OK if you're turning right, as I found out today), 1 for taking a turn a bit wide, and 2 more for inadequate observation when doing the reverse around a corner (not looking out the back window and rear windscreen).

I made a hames of the reverse around the corner to be fair, conked the car at one point and was out way too far from the kerb and everything, so I was happy to hear I only got 2 grade 2 faults for it.

I was done and dusted in 25 minutes, which had me thinking I had it failed on my way back to the test centre, but no, got my slip of paper and out the door. Delighted.

Edit: (On a side note, 500th post! :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

FINALLY!
    Passed on my 5th attempt in Naas there this morning. So ****ing relieved.

Funny thing is its the least confident Ive ever been before and after the test. Im living in Carlow for college so havent had any driving at all since my last test 3 months ago!

I was sure I failed after an elderly couple darted across the road in front of me and I almost hit them but instructor said it was their fault. I cut out too at one point and missed a right observation but he said I drive the rest of the test perfectly so he gave me the benefit of the doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭dereks

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Passed first time today in Finglas, delighted. No grade 2's at all. Only 2 grade ones.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Instructor was really nice.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Not what i was expecting at all.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]The key i would say is only do the test when you are confident you'll pass. [/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]From reading and talking to people, people rush to do the test when they are not ready.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Confidence is key and only comes with practice and experience of driving in different circumstances.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

dereks wrote: »
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]From reading and talking to people, people rush to do the test when they are not ready.[/font]
    congrats. What i always found was when your doing your test you should have all the time in the world. Be in no rush whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 LH_

Passed last week in Tallaght on my second try. Nerves were a lot worse the second time around, could barely feel my feet and my throat went completely dry but I got it done thank god :D Definitely worth getting it done and out of the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭shelly22

I passed today in raheny
    I made a mess of my reverse around the corner I really thought I failed
    Got two grade 2 delighted with myself

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭inna981

Passed first time Tuesday with 2 grade 2s in Waterford. Delighted with it. Between the oral exam and the practical it must have taken half an hour.
    Made the mistake of telling the country that my test was Tuesday so I was nervous. :pac:
    I did two pretests one on my 12th lesson and the day before the test.
    I messed up the turnabout. The road was narrow and I did not make it easy on myself my having a telephone pole behind the car. :) Where I got the grade was when I wanted to go forward to finish the turnabout I left it in reverse and when back a bit. Thank god I didn't hit the pole. :confused: The second grade two was I braked hard for the lights at WIT where I could have went through.
    Off to the NDLS centre today :D:D:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Passed first try today in Tallaght :D Really can't believe it. I'd never been so nervous in my life as I was this morning, but once I got out onto familiar roads it was fine. I've been driving in the area around the test centre a lot lately & it really helped. So delighted that I dont have to drag people out driving with me all the time now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Passed first time in Limerick today with 4 grade twos. Wasn't very confident of passing this morning, but managed to get everything right on the day, and the tester was very friendly which helped put me at ease :)

(PS: I never knew there was a learning to drive forum on boards, only found it a few days ago when I was frantically googling 'Irish driving test tips' :D:D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Lou Scaunt

I've been reading this thread start to finish for probably the past year, so thanks to everyone for the contributions, it really helped to read all of these positive posts.

I passed on the first go this morning in Finglas, had an absolutely lovely chap from Donegal test me. What a legend, he said at one stage he could have given me a grade 3 but put it down to nerves and stuck with the grade 2.

The relief is incredible considering I had no car to practice in and relied on 24 lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Teacher23

Passed today in Navan, over the moon! Was so anxious the rare times that I drove unaccompanied so it's nice to know I can actually go out whenever I want and not worry �� just knowing that I've passed has made me more confident in my own driving! Did a few pretests beforehand with a different instructor and it was really beneficial to have the advice and teaching methods of two instructors to go off. Both were great but I definitely took different ideas from both, some of the approaches of one instructor really worked with me than the other and visa versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Natashaw88x

Passed today in Raheny!! Second time doing it. Done my first 4 weeks ago. Absolutely over the moon...now to get my new license 😊😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

last of mine kids passed first go last week. from applying for the test to sitting it was a good 14 weeks. she wasn't ready for the test when she applied but more than ready by the time the test came around. I'm finally free of L plates after about 6 years of almost continuous use :) so that's it for me on this thread - 3 kids, 3 first time passes. Gained alot of good information following up on this forum and brought my own driving back into line where I had become a bit lackadaisical in some places. thanks to everyone and best wishes for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Barbes

Lou Scaunt wrote: »
    I passed on the first go this morning in Finglas, had an absolutely lovely chap from Donegal test me.

I think I had the same tester! He was adorable and put me at ease. Passed easily second time. The fellah I had for my first test was really severe and humourless, and I was horribly nervous the whole time.

Just want to say to anyone who's feeling like they'll never get the thing: first time I failed spectacularly with 17 grade twos (and a rake of grade ones as well). Second time I had only four grade twos. But there were only a few weeks and six hours of driving between the two tests. I don't have my own car or a family car to practise in, so the only driving I did was in my instructor's car. Nerves can have such a huge effect on the outcome of the test. You'll get there!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bannerman2005

Passed first time. Such a sense of relief. 1 grade 2 and 1 grade 1. Just glad thats over and can relax. Traffic was so bad around the city today that the tester had to stick to the outskirts and even that was busy. Can enjoy the Christmas now with that over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Melorith

Passed second time yesterday in Tallaght.

First time was a close miss... as the mist covered my mirrors and windows during reverse around the corner. Tester's attitude wasn't great too. 3 grade 1's and 1 grade 3 :-(

This time tester was nice, calm and polite, put me on ease. Should be 2 grade 1's and 2 grade 2's. Applied for full license within an hour and notified insurance guys too.

Nothing to panic. Presence of mind is important according to me, helps you to recover on hitting a fault.
    Importantly don't take a pre-test just before the real test. Ensure to relax at least for 15 mins before entering the test centre.

On the previous night, Sit in the car alone without your instructor/sponsor and try to practice the sequence virtually(Imagine) at least once.

Thanks a mil guys for all the tips and sharing your experiences that helped me a lot...

I dedicate this to my brilliant instructor Mr. Francis (CastleTown SOM)

Good luck to the ones appearing...

Cheers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Passed in Finglas this morning, after 6 years of on and off driving and 4 tests I finally got there.

Tester was really nice,Middle aged guy from around the kilkenny carlow area by the sounds. Got 3 grade 2's for observation and one for position turning right.

Happy as anything right now, it just shows that persistence and keeping with something pays off.

Advertisement