Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

A close shave... Passed first time in Finglas! Got my car mid February. Booked 3 weeks ago. Did some practising and got a pre-test lesson last Saturday.

All in all, seven grade 2s... four for speed over ramps, one for progress on the left turn, observations turning right and forgetting to put myself in to first gear on a hill start.

Chuffed all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

I thought 4 grade 2s on the same thing was a fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

Passed my first attempt yesterday in Raheny. I was extremely nervous but the tester was lovely and I felt at ease. Got 4 grade 2s, 2 for clearance and 2 for progress turning right.

Got a nice chunk off my insurance today also! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Passed my test today on the first attempt in Wilton, Cork.

Tester went a route I hadn't actually done yet so I was a bit nervous at first, however it all went very smoothly. Got 4 Grade 1 minors only.

Bloody delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

Just passed first time in Galway :D:D Delighted is an understatement!! I had been putting it off for four years but really needed to get it done. I had a great instructor and it couldn't have went better today. Two grade 2's, one for position exiting a roundabout and one for doing 58kmph in the 50 zone (happened early in the test he said he could tell it was from nerves!) So, so happy!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 hobo548

Just passed today in Naas, tester was a really nice bloke!
    Thanks to the <SNIP - removed tester name>

bit of an issue with a van on my side which caused me to delay longer than I should have but overall the instructor was quite happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

Passed first time today in Dundalk, I can't believe it!

I didn't have very much driving experience at all and really didn't know what to expect going in- and had the added pressure of moving to Canada in a week and a half!!

I hit the kerb pulling out of the test centre and honestly thought I'd failed the whole thing so I actually think I wasn't as nervous then as I would've been as I thought I had nothing to lose! Got a 2 for hitting a ramp a bit too hard and a few 1's for minor things but that was it- I nearly fell out of my seat when he said I had passed.

I was reading through this thread last night and hoping I'd be posting here today so the very best of luck to anyone going for their test, settle the head if you make a mistake and just move onto the next thing in front of you, you can do it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

Passed second time in Churchtown- The entire experience could not have been more different from the first time; Tester was an absolute gent, and really put me at ease. The time was also made a huge difference- First one was 5.45pm on a Friday in ****e weather, this one was 9.15am (Thursday) with the sun shining!
    Only mistakes I made were really due to the fact he brought me a really odd route (actually passed he test center twice- I thought we were finishing up, but each time he just told me to pass it), so didn't know where we were going, what to expect at junctions etc, but I should have probably practiced around the area a bit more!

Didn't tell anybody I was doing the test again so soon (and had I failed I would have kept a second fail a secret tbh), so that helped settle the nerves!

DELIGHTED!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭uli84

tradhead wrote: »
    Passed first time today in Dundalk, I can't believe it!

I didn't have very much driving experience at all and really didn't know what to expect going in- and had the added pressure of moving to Canada in a week and a half!!

I hit the kerb pulling out of the test centre and honestly thought I'd failed the whole thing so I actually think I wasn't as nervous then as I would've been as I thought I had nothing to lose! Got a 2 for hitting a ramp a bit too hard and a few 1's for minor things but that was it- I nearly fell out of my seat when he said I had passed.

I was reading through this thread last night and hoping I'd be posting here today so the very best of luck to anyone going for their test, settle the head if you make a mistake and just move onto the next thing in front of you, you can do it!!!

Congrats! Can you tell me where you did reverse around the corner? If you know that is;) was the route straightforward enough? Anything specific I should pay attention to?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

uli84 wrote: »
    Congrats! Can you tell me where you did reverse around the corner? If you know that is;) was the route straightforward enough? Anything specific I should pay attention to?

Haha I'm ****e at names of roads but it was the left turn before the garage on the road up to the college (opposite the hospital) and the estate in there! It was a grand quiet road, the same for where I did my turnabout but that one was a good bit narrower than where I'd been practising so just make sure to take it graaaaand and slow ;)

The route was so much easier than anything I had done with my tester! I was dreading the hill start coming onto that road after the old shopping centre at the traffic lights but went a different way so I didn't have to do it :P

The tester was a darling, <SNIP - removed tester name> and there was a bit of craic out of him before we took off which helped to settle the nerves a bit.

Best of luck with your test! And don't forget not to clip the corner on your way out haha! Although I honestly think that the fact that I thought I'd already failed made me less nervous cos I thought I had nothing to lose...it's funny how things work out!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Exo

Passed this afternoon, in Tallaght – first time round! One Grade 1, and two Grade 2's unfortunately. Tester was a pleasant individual, surprised how it turned out to be honest. He kept his tablet hidden from sight down between his crotch, and at every fault he waited till some time elapsed to mark the grade. Major props to the examiner. I've been driving since the beginning of February, and had my license for three years prior (haven't made use of it until this past December with my EDT).

Looking back, I can't believe that I was incapable of turning on the full beam headlight during the in-car checks (not the usual push forward system [quite convoluted], it never crossed my mind to check, usually its flashy-function was made use of quite often :)), and mishearing the examiner on a simple directional instruction. The other Grade 2 came from crossing two lanes of traffic just after turning right at a junction, as he told me to turn right soon afterward (going from single lane to double lane road, you'd automatically assume to take the left-most position, wasn't the case unfortunately).

Adding to the initial uneasiness and anticipation, I witnessed a girl come out in absolute tears while I was sitting in my car and breaking down at her seat. Not to mention another guy who had to reverse twice while parking straight ahead, coming back from the test route (you can imagine it probably ended in shambles); strolled by him as I was making my way inside, didn't look so thrilled.

Needless to say, half-jogged through the waiting room with my emotions made apparent!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Passed my driving test last Friday in Sligo on the fourth attempt. I'm a middle-aged American who's been driving in the US for 30 years. When I first learned to drive in 1984, I asked my father, "Daddy, aren't you going to teach me how to drive a stick shift?" (manual transmission). "No," he said, "all cars will be automatic in a few years. You'll never need to know that." And I never did, and there was no issue whatsoever, even when I went to Scotland on business trips.

Here's how I learned to drive in Scotland: Before the eight-week trip, I asked my Scottish office to hire me a car (on previous trips I didn't bother hiring a car because the office had a shuttle from the hotel). Siobhan, the office manager, asked me if I had ever driven in the UK before. I said I was a little apprehensive and would she mind meeting me at the rental car office and making sure I got started OK. Sure, she agreed. When I actually got to Aberdeen, Siobhan met me, waited in the office while I rented the car (automatic of course), and then led me in her car to the airport entrance, where she stuck her head out the window, told me "bye, see you in the morning" and took off. Eep. I managed to make it to the hotel all right... two roundabouts... managed not to kill anyone... wondered what all the honking was about until I realized the speed limit signs were mph instead of kph :) Don't even ask about the roundabouts. I did every single one of them like a dumb American until I left. Amazing.

So, as soon as my Irish husband moved me to Ireland, I bought a manual transmission car to save money. "Oh," said his family, "you won't have any problem learning that." It sat in the driveway for four months until I got up the nerve to call an instructor for lessons. I spent WAY too much time in lessons on the gears and not on the rules, though I admit my instructor was great. On my first test, I had a panic attack and cried and utterly failed. On my second test, I was still terribly nervous and did a few things wrong I knew were wrong, and fair play to the instructor for pointing them out. On my third test, I was sure I did well and I still think I was graded unfairly. On my last test, the instructor was slightly unhappy with my speed and preparation approaching roundabouts, and I got dinged on a stall (from which I recovered quickly enough for it not to create a danger). The last thing he mentioned was that I didn't make progress well enough at intersections, which surprised me. But I moved here from a busy uptown address in Houston, where the intersection closest to my apartment was a ten-lane road crossing an eight-lane road, and I have never, ever been in an accident that was my fault (and no accidents at all for the past ten years). I might have been the only provisional driver in Ireland to have full no-claims bonus on her insurance, heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Kaneo71

Feels good to be able to post in this! Passed my test in Wicklow this morning after failing in dun laoghaire a month ago (very badly failed)

Examiner was fair but also had a bit of humour in him, couple of marks here and there but I've passed, bye bye L plates!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Dark.Horse

Wuhoo! Passed my test yesterday in Wilton! Delighted would be an understatement. Tester was very nice! Turned right when we came out of the centre which is a rare occurrence from what i've heard. Adventure awaits! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Cjayses

Long time lurker checking in.

Passed my test on the second attempt yesterday. Went from 2 Grade 1's and 20 Grade 2's to 2 Grade 2's. The two tests were within a month of each other. Just goes to show how much nerves can play a part... Bloody delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Pasted 2nd time in Wilton.

With 2 lessons and a week later. I went from 8 grade 1's and 12 grade 2's (grade 3 for progression). To Two grade 2's. Nearly got a clean sheet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

passed second time in tallaght.

first time i done it i got 2 grade 1's . 5 grade 2's and 1 fatal grade 3 for turning right 2 quickly (no obs and no indicator). The reason for not having the indicator was that i turned it on and moved into a section of the lane for just turning right , and it clicked itself off.

Anyways this time i got 8 grade 1s and 5 grade 2s. I thought he was playing with his ipad way too much but luckily these must have been all grade 1s.
    was sure i had failed.

Delighted anyways..

goodbye this section of boards.ie :pac: (until i get a truck licenses for the crack)

I think the thing that makes you a better driving is the fear of having to shell out another 85 quid to the wan***s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Passed today in Naas - so delighted! Second time (technically my third as the first time, the tester wouldn't get in my car as my tax was out a couple days and wouldn't accept the receipt for my disc which was coming in the post).

Got 6 grade 2's - 2 of which were for being overly cautious. I reacted too much to the partial ramps, thinking I was playing it safe when he said I should have just driven around them and continued on. Then, in the town, I was behind a yellow box and there was a gap between the box and the car in front - I thought if I moved on I'd be too close so stayed back, and he said I should have moved on. Still, delighted with myself as I got 14 grade 2's last time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭uli84

Cjayses wrote: »
    Long time lurker checking in.

Passed my test on the second attempt yesterday. Went from 2 Grade 1's and 20 Grade 2's to 2 Grade 2's. The two tests were within a month of each other. Just goes to show how much nerves can play a part... Bloody delighted!

Did you take many lessons inbetween?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

lurker here checking in!

Passed mine this morning. Had sat one test before, a year ago.
    Got this test very last minute, only got insurance sorted a couple of weeks ago. Had one driving lesson before hand and did loads of driving around (with my accompanying driver - of course!).

Test itself went really well bar a few slip ups on rules of the road - nerves got to me and got tongue tied and then had a mark against me for the handbreak - which I am not surprised with at all - not to make excuses but the handbreak needs anew cable and the break shoes replaced so I was trying to avoid it if I'm honest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Hamadeusentman

Passed mine this morning in Navan. Delighted! Failed it first time round about 10 years ago at same venue. Was sweatin' bullets at the start but within 5 minutes of driving I got a sense that the tester was at ease and so I grew in confidence. A couple of minor faults with progression on straight and at junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

Passed first time this morning in Castlebar! Just got two grade twos so I'm shocked at that, was sure that nerves would get to me but luckily I managed to keep my cool.

First mark was for progress turning left - there was machinery on the road coming toward me and I underestimated how slow they were moving so ended up sitting and waiting for them to pass. Second mark was for gears, IIRC I struggled to get into first gear when doing the turnabout and it grinded a bit!

Such a relief to have it over with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭CaptainInsano

Passed first time today. I'd only gotten two lessons in the build up because of the cost. I didn't have to do the 12 lessons because I got my learner permit in 2007 and never drove because I headed off the college. I got on the road in April and booked my test straight away. I didn't really have much hope and felt under prepared but used as much common sense as possible. Thought I'd blown it straight away- came to a roundabout and he said take the second exit to the right ( which was at 1 o clock) in my nervousness I just heard the word right and took the third, he tutted and shook his head so I thought I've already failed. Later I took another wrong turn and he became red in the face. Was absolutely stunned when he said I'd passed. Not an ideal way of doing things, more lessons would have helped settle the nerves but just delighted I never have to do it again! I think it's crucial to nail the theory, engine and controls at the start because he seemed fairly pleased after that until I didn't listen to him properly! Got 4 grade two's and that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Apparently they can't fault you for taking a wrong turn!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭J_R

maggiepip wrote: »
    Apparently they can't fault you for taking a wrong turn!

Hi,

They can as a poor pupil of mine discovered. But he did try to go down a one-way street the wrong way.

But if legal they can not mark.

The good examiners say nothing, just get you back on track soonest. That way pupil does not get upset. However afterwards the pupil would tell me "He brought me on a really strange route "

Once into Tesco car park. Asked her did he stop, buy something ?. No in, all around and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Happy to report, that after several failed attempts and years of occasionally stalking this forum I passed last Saturday in an absolute downpour of rain. Switched from Raheny to Finglas and found it a much more enjoyable process.

Got halfway through and was sure I'd failed, thought it was confirmed when I saw all the Xs on the sheet when I was following the examiner back in and he gets me to sign this sheet I've never seen before and tell me I passed. Turns out the marks were grade 1s.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

I passed in Tallaght this morning. Nerves got the better of me and incomplete observations (which I knew were an issue from the pretest anyway) got me some grade 2s. I finished it not knowing what way it went and was surprised when he said I passed but not surprised when he said I need to work on few things.

Another issue was T junctions. Many of them in the estates had no Stop/Yield sign or white lines so I was treating them as yields. He said this was wrong and they should be treated as Stops even though 'they hadn't been marked with the lines'. This left me confused but I guess anyone else going to Tallaght can ask their ADI.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Hamadeusentman

Hi. I have a query regarding feedback from test (that I passed). Do you get any further detailed feedback via email or post afterwards? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

no just the the verbal after you do the test, they do email or post your marks to you but that is is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Ashsamt

Get in! Second time doing it and passed in Carrick on Shannon. First time was in raheny and let me tell you, they're very strict in Dublin. There's an obvious bias!
    Delighted!!

Advertisement