Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 spb

So happy to be able to say I passed my test in Sligo on Monday! I've had 6 (!) unsuccessful attempts in Naas which is a s***hole of a place to test in. I really wondered was I ever going to pass and if I was a totally horrendous driver, but first time trying in Sligo and passed with only a couple of grade 1's & 2's...

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭skybhoy121

Passed earlier in the week! Delight now that I have finally achieved it, it was my second attempt. Big difference this time around compared to my first attempt, my nerves first time really got the better of me and I panicked anytime a made a error no matter how minor, but this time was a lot more assured and confident. Can't wait to get my licence now

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Passed first time in Raheny, 5 grade 2s, 2 for riding the clutch, one for position on the straight, one for observation on turn around and one for turning right.

Absolutely delighted, tester couldn't have been any sounder and I was chatting away to him the whole way which made it a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Finally get to post in here after enjoying reading so many posts from successful candidates and wondering would I ever do it - turns out it was third time lucky!

Third time in Tallaght, got a different tester this time (first two times I got the same very picky, slightly weird tester [you'll know him if you've met him]) - this guy was much more pleasant, there wasn't much traffic about at all and it couldn't have gone much better.

Big difference this time was I'd been driving so regularly that none of the manoeuvres were at all daunting and I tried to just drive as I normally do without overthinking it but with more pronounced observation.

Thanks to all who post in here who helped give me hope! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ReddererMist

Passed my driving test this morning in Finglas! Second time and was feeling pretty prepared and confident until I woke up this morning to Hurricane Seamus!

Made a few silly mistakes but the tester was very fair and gave me the benefit of the doubt with one whopper mistake of hitting kerb on a turn, this happened on the 2nd turn out of the test centre so I honestly thought I had failed immediately! Took me a while to figure out I was signing the competency cert when we got back to the centre.

Reading these posts have kept me sane in the run up to the test so thanks to all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭mondeoman2

Passed the Bus Test Today In Tallaght,Not much Traffic around & the Sun Was Shining:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 iiEviNii

Passed on my first try in Raheny! Absolutely delighted. Was only out driving for about 20 minutes, picked up 3 very small faults so I must have really impressed him, I've heard most people are usually out for longer than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Passed with 5 grade 2s. Got a reaction to hazard because I passed a car who was reversing into his driveway and looking backwards, because he wouldn;t have been aware there was a car passing. Thought that was a little harsh. Drove around in 3rd mostly, slowed down if it was getting tight or couldn't see round a bend. Didn't get a fault for progression, so there's no need to be tipping towards the limit.

I had my critics...
    Old Jakey wrote: »
    No offence but it doesn't sound like you're anywhere near ready to sit your test.

but needless to say, I had the last laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Passed yesterday morning in Rathgar on my 5th attempt...

Absolutely delighted, horrible conditions on the road yesterday, but managed to do all the maneuvers as good as ever in poor visibility and awful winds. I thought I drove as well as the last 2 times, but was unlucky with the examiners before. Got 3 grade 2s in the end yesterday, the guy was very sound.

So happy to get it over with, as it was my last chance in Wrath-gar, since they are closing down the centre. Absolute hellhole of a place.

To anyone who's gotten very close a few times but was unsuccessful - you just have to keep trying. It is entirely down to what your examiner feels like on the day. The test is in no way objective or standardised, so do not blame yourself, you just have to get lucky on the day. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Passed on the third attempt today in Kilkenny. :D I conked the car out on a right turn but only got a grade two for that! I thought I'd failed as the car rolled back a good bit before I recovered it. Two manoeuvres were perfect, if you want my advice just do the turnabout in 5, the last test I did I hit the curb which is a grade 3. You won't be marked down for doing it in 5.

Six grade twos in total, I got one as he didn't close the car door properly so there was an open door light on the dash which I didn't spot! Look out for stuff like this because I have a feeling he might have done it on purpose to test me! The one piece of advice I got is to stop 'trying to pass the test' and keep practicing until you're actually up to test standard and you'll fly it!

Got thirteen grade 2's on my second attempt so if I can do it anybody can!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Psychosis

Passed in Rathgar today with 4 grade 2 and 1 grade.

I will not miss that place!

Passed on my 5th attempt yesterday in Sligo. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Passed on my 5th attempt in Wilton today, delighted because i was so close on my last 2 tries (1 and 2 grade 2s)

Pulled a sicky from work for it so I can't brag publically yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

Passed in Finglas on Tuesday on my 1st attempt, 7 Grade 2s and 1 Grade 1

I'd recommend 2 or 10 as the best time to pick Finglas was very quiet
    Also I did a two lesson in the morning and a hour pretest right before the test which finished at 1:55 followed by test at 2:05

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

heffo500 wrote: »
    Passed in Finglas on Tuesday on my 1st attempt, 7 Grade 2s and 1 Grade 3

I'd recommend 2 or 10 as the best time to pick Finglas was very quiet
    Also I did a two lesson in the morning and a hour pretest right before the test which finished at 1:55 followed by test at 2:05

Sorry to break it to you but if you got a grade 3 you failed....

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

thelad95 wrote: »
    Sorry to break it to you but if you got a grade 3 you failed....

Sorry I meant got one grade 1 and 7 grade 2s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Passed today in Killarney! :D Delighted. First time doing the test. Got 2 grade 2s. Only been driving since July so pretty shocked. Was very nervous the days coming up to it. Thought I had no chance of passing it.

Did loads of practise beforehand. I live in Cork city but come from Killarney, so know Killarney very well but I don't have much experience driving there. Didn't fancy doing the test in Cork :o

The 2 marks for were speeding and progress at traffic lights. The speeding was on the bypass, I started increasing speed before the 100km/h sign, fair enough. Can't even remember the progress at traffic lights one, she didn't really say anything about it. Was surprised (well, glad!) I got those faults, I stalled a good few times in my pre-test (which I never do!) so was scared of that happening.

The tester was SOUND! She was so nice. Chatting away for the whole test. Many people I know in Killarney give out that she's very rude and horrible, but I can't imagine her being anything but lovely. I was very lucky in fairness. There was feck all traffic and was only drizzling rain. Also if anyone wants a recommendation for an instructor in Killarney let me know, my guy was fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Late to driving scene and took my first test in Tuam this morning. Passed with 4/5 minors which I'm delighted with especially as I was taken down route I've never been on. Did it in my own car which was great benefit. Driving examiner sound as. Thanks for all the great help within the forum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

I'm a lurker! I passed yesterday on my second attempt! I was sure I failed because I conked out on my hill start, which I was so confident on! I cried when he told me I had passed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭8 Bit Girl

Passed first time this morning in Carlow! Sweet tasty relief! :D

Wasnt too bad with nerves up until this morning. Had an hour lesson with my instructor beforehand and kept making silly mistakes. Did a perfect reverse around the curb and turnabout with her though and that calmed me down a bit.

The tester was nice and friendly, aced all my road signs and because it was a bit windy and rainy he didnt ask me to pop the bonnet atall. Instead he said they usually ask an extra question or two if the weather is crap.
    Everything was thrown at me though, people pulling out in front of me, narrow roads with parked cars on one side and a big lorry parked on the other, a cat ran in front of me at one stage! You just have to show confidence that none of those things phase you and observe and react appropriately and move on on the car confidently.

The whole thing flew by and he said I did really well. Only got lile 4/5 marks against me in the whole thing!

Sorry for the long post, just if anyone who is reading this who hasnt passed yet...I waited a loooong time to sit the test because I had somebody a few years ago when I first started driving put the absolute fear in me that I would never pass. I shouldnt have let them get to me and believed in my own abilities a bit more. You CAN do it. I did!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭easy1

I got my test at the second attempt with 6 grade 2 faults!

Went into the test centre on Monday and got a nice lady tester this time.

My test was 15.45,I throughout it will be busy on the roads,but it wasn't that bad.
    This was my route:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAI5X5sy7qk#t=628

I had my Learner permit for 23 month.

I did 12 EDT lessons+10 lessons with new instructor.
    Lot of practice with my partner.
    I got familiar with Tallaght test routes,which helped me a lot.

I did my first test on July and failed with 13 grade 2 and 7 grade one mistakes.

Booked my test straight away,got date for October which didn't suited me,so I cancelled it,then got new date before Christmas.Day before my test it was cancelled again,because tester was sick.RSA gave my new date for test,25.January,which I just passed recently.

I was over the moon,signed my Certificate of competency .

After 2 days I went to apply for my Full Driving Licence in NDLS City West

My Application was refused,because examiner forgot to mark my vehicle category. Lady couldn't find my record in their system and she then become very suspicious about my Certificate of Competency.

I was advised to go back to Tallaght test centre and to get my Certificate correctly marked with same pen,which my examiner used

I went to the test centre,spoke with my examiner,she marked vehicle category and told me my details should be uploaded in system by now .I did received my test details by email in next day anyway.

So tomorrow I'm going back to NDLS City West.

Excuse my English,but I'm just wondering ,does this happened with somebody else or I'm the only one unlucky there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Well done on passing.
    I haven't heard of anything like that happening anyone before, but hopefully it's sorted now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭easy1

spurious wrote: »
    Well done on passing.
    I haven't heard of anything like that happening anyone before, but hopefully it's sorted now.

Thank you,got everything sorted today :)
    My advice:

When you get your certificate of competency please check it and make sure it is marked and filled correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

easy1 wrote: »
    Thank you,got everything sorted today :)
    My advice:

When you get your certificate of competency please check it and make sure it is marked and filled correctly.

Great advice, would never have crossed my mind as the feeling of elation was so strong he could have handed me a form to sign all my money over to him and I wouldn't have noticed! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Ciara 5

Passed my test yesterday in Tallaght :D was my first time doing the test, got 4 grade 2s, so happy to have it over with!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DA7800

Ah! I get to post in this thread!

Absolutely delighted, passed on my first time in Wilton. My recent pretests were a bit dodgy but the test itself went perfectly. Two grade 2s is all I got! Can't believe it. I only had 16 hours of lessons and no practice outside of that, so it could've went either way. The tester was sound, very nice man. Went straight to the NDLS afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Whoot, you can teach an old dog new tricks. Passed second time around in Navan today at the ripe old age of 38 (my folks never bought a car.....ever). First time around I really didn't like the tester, they seemed very cold. I don't expect them to chat away in the car but there was zero levels of compassion/warmth etc. The chap I had today put me much more at ease. He didn't say a whole lot either but it was the way he went about it.
    Not sure what my in-depth results were, I'll have a look at that later tonight. He did joke though that I went out of my way to fail it! I had been a bag of nerves first time around and fell to pieces. This time though I had a little more practice around the area and tried to remain calm and keep things under control. I knew that when I'm with the missus I can drive reasonably well so there should have been no reason not to be competent enough to pass with a tester in the car. Easier said than done of course.

I'm just delighted for my other half though. She's given over a lot of the weekend driving to me, when she loves to drive. She's been patient and given out loads of advice etc so I'm happy for us both.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭ari gold24

Passed on my 2nd attempt in Tullamore last Friday. Went from 1 grade 3 and 14 grade 2's 12 months ago to just 1 grade 2 this time (I feared a grade 3 as I pulled out in front of a speeding jeep). Tester was sound also which made me feel much more at ease compared to the lad I had 1st time. On the verge of a near perfect reverse and a car arrived from behind forcing me to drive back around the corner and start again!

Felt good ripping off those "L" plates!

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

Passed on my first attempt in Dun Laoghaire today, delighted! :)

5 grade 2s

I'm more than happy with that after the check engine light came up on my own car during the week and I had to do the test in my instructors car.

Managed to cut-out just before a roundabout as I wasn't used to the car but handled it well and had a clean sheet from then on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Alexanderis

Passed today on my first try in Woodview Limerick.
    2 grade 1s and 3 grade 2s

Key to this is not to panic. Keep calm and carry on regardless of what happened a few moments ago.

Advertisement