Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am i getting old and cheap?... or Daylight Robbery!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Ishmael wrote:
    Tbh, i think most petrol station shops over charge somewhat for stuff like this. Its mostly due to the cost of running them though. In general, they don't make too much of a profit off of the petrol(some even sell it at a loss to draw customers into the shop) unless they seriously overcharge for it, so to cover all cost of running them, they have to overcharge a bit on the stuff in the shops.

Of course the prices that those on the run and the like charge are taking the piss as far as i can see

I tend to try and avoid buying anything in a petrol station for these reasons.

My GFs dad is friends with the woman who owns/runs the "on the run" in esso carlow and shes told him before it makes €10,000 per week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭onechewy

I used to work in an On the Run, most boring job ever, but god that place used to rake in the cash. In a 7 hour shift (or was it 8? - can't member..), we used to take in 10, 11, or 12 grand. If it was a bank holiday it was way more. They charge €9 for the bleedin car wash!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

micmclo wrote:
    I once paid £9sterling for a breakfast roll in England.

It was in a hotel and the nicest breakfast roll I ever had.
    it's ok if was a memorable experiance, something which no Petrol Station "deli" could ever hope to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DemocAnarchis

Girlfriend got a sandwich to take out in an O'Briens in Dundalk the other day, 5.30 for ham, cheese and onion! Was stale as well, was shocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bolliwoodi

Me: "Nope :)" *dreams of pies*

Me: :eek: :eek: :eek:

ROFL:D :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Yeah i agree with you, we are getting ripped of everywhere in dublin.Mostly because of the flippin rents rising and companies are trying to make a profit while paying their huge expenses :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Girlfriend got a sandwich to take out in an O'Briens in Dundalk the other day, 5.30 for ham, cheese and onion! Was stale as well, was shocked.

Something similar happened to me in a shop in Galway. When I saw the price, I just handed it back and said 'No thanks'

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Crappy sandwiches are a fiver in a lot of places now. I had to buy a cheese sandwich for 5e before as I was so hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

OP for 10 euro you'd want to be getting 5 good pies...a tenner for 2??? Pfffft.....f*** that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

why do people pay these prices I work in one of these stations and people come into me bout three times a day ,tesco is five minutes away, I often see people pay 30 -40 quid for a couple of items and are happy to pay for it.Those car washes are aout 90% profitable same as the coffee.At the end of the day people dont ask questions and are lazy.Those pies shud be only be left in there for a certain time and if they are bernt they shud not be sold to the public , certain standards and what not.By the sounds of things they should have been thrown away long ago.At the end of the day these shops are handy, soup and sandwhich for 4.99 is not bad if your enroute to Dublin .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I would laugh if I hadn't paid e4 for an apple, a bottle of water and a yoghurt yesterday. Sadly I had no choice, my belly forced me into it.

Advertisement