Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am i getting old and cheap?... or Daylight Robbery!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

How the hell in a place like that can thay charge that , how many times did he scan the pies into the scanner ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

How the hell in a place like that can thay charge that
    BEcause enough people are willing to pay that it remains profitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Op,you did the right thing me auld flower. Your not getting old but getting sense instead!

Would have done the same myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

bonkey wrote:
    BEcause enough people are willing to pay that it remains profitable.

yup, just look at the petrol station on ushers quay. 1.59 a litre and he's still in business. as long as muppets pay the money these places will charge what they like. the OP was right to leave it but the fact is enough fools are easy enough to seperate from their money to merit them continuing . hell look at what some people pay for a pint :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,911 ✭✭✭✭Stark

yup, just look at the petrol station on ushers quay. 1.59 a litre and he's still in business. as long as muppets pay the money these places will charge what they like. the OP was right to leave it but the fact is enough fools are easy enough to seperate from their money to merit them continuing . hell look at what some people pay for a pint :D

Most of the people who use that station use fuel cards, which give you the same price, no matter what Statoil you go to. The Gardaí fill up there quite a bit, as mentioned by the Independent in one of their articles (they conveniently left out the fuel card bit for sensationalist effect of course). The prices are probably deliberately outrageous so that they don't have massive queues of non fuel card customers all the time.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

stayed in a certain hotel in NI (think Paris) and they were charging 18 pounds sterling for breakfast. Our breakfast was included in our price but I thought this ultra expensive fry up was going to be spectacular so I asked what was in it.

2 bacon, 2 sausage, 1 egg, mushrooms (prob x4 :rolleyes: ) a couple of beans, a few slices of toast and a cupan tae. Biggest ripoff I have ever heard about. 18 pounds whats that 25 euro or something along those lines?? We spend all of breakfast and all the way home and many a nite in the pub afterwards giving out about it :eek: :)

But yes back to original point, those pies were rip off with extra cheese and I would have walked away from them too, sure they would have choked ya if youd eaten them just thinking about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

sioda wrote:
    OP personally think you were taking your life into your own hands with 7 hour old pies but still what a rip off.

Reminds me of a Irish bar I was in in France wanted €6 for a pint of Fosters (Very Irish) and €11 for a pint of murphys

Where in france? I'm thinking of hitting an irish bar in Paris in around 2 weeks time and i don't fancy going to that place!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Sawa

Those pies, are standard bought in from cuisine de france, they have different coloured foil bottoms, red is chicken and mushroom i think and brown is chicken curry, they the ones? those are only meant to be €2.50 at the most, at that is too expensive imo.

For a really nice cheap fry, go to Café Sofia on Wexford St, Dublin. You can get a student breakfast (they don't ask for i.d btw) for €5 and it entails of: 2 rashers, 2 sausages, 2 toast, 1 egg, chips, beans and tea/coffee. Amazing and so cheap. I love that place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

A pie here is about $4 (E2). Kiwis love pie. Pie shops on street corners. Mosts shops have a poor excuse for a deli counter, but most will have a hot food unit filled with pies :/

ninja edit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

"On The Run" is a total rip off but people keep paying them prices so fair play to them i say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Once when I was single , Basket shopping in well known super market ,buy about eight items , When everything was scanned the check out girl turns and said "32.80 please "
    Jaw hits the floor , I recover and ask to see recipe, start reading it bread.....milk.....coffee........cheese..... TURKEY 12LB:eek: :eek:
    Short verse .manager called, the bar code on can of beans was reading as 12lb TURKEY , human error, all my items were given FREE as way of apologize

RESULT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭watsgone

Rip- off, rip-off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

I think the name "On the Run" is a bit of a clue here, they're fcuking criminals !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

That's shocking. I can get myself a quality meal and a few beers and still have change for that price over here. Country is gone crazy since I left :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

its the only petrol station in town afaik so he can pretty much charge what he wants. i was running on fumes once so i had to get petrol there. i bought just enough to get to the petrol station on the navan road :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

5 yoyos for a pie is unreal. The odd time i get a ham n cheese jambon it is 1.75. No way ppl should pay that :eek:

People are a bit spaced sometimes though, here's an example from each side of the till...........

A. Bought 8 euro worth of food in Nude lately, gave a tenner and got change of a fifty. As someone said earlier...result :D But i felt too guilty (karma might bring it back on me) so i told her.

B. My Dad went to pay for our dinners lately in a pub and paid 74 euro for 3 dinners, 2 desserts and 2 baby bottles of wine. My mum found the receipt at home and went mental, they had included 2 other dinners on the bill that weren't ours :D Dad is a bit slow on the uptake sometimes! Luckily she knows the manager so they'll get free dinners the next time, but my dad can't be the only one that doesn't read receipts or pay attention (actually couldn't read it anyway without 'is glasses).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

missmatty wrote:
    Bought 8 euro worth of food in Nude lately, gave a tenner and got change of a fifty.

:eek: No wonder the shop assistant was a bit distracted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,911 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's the name of a snack shop in Dublin.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

As one of Catherine Tates characters would say

"£5 for a small crusty burnt pie..... The dirty smelly evil pie robbing b*stards"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Me in the Nude?! I'd say she'd be distracted and maybe not in a good way :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Sorry Rabies, are you saying that 2NZD is €4?

Me thinks not.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Shadowless

Gerry's on Montague St FTW!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

dellas1979 wrote:

Me thinks not.
    I was just thinking that the exchange rate must have done something mental since i was there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Rabies wrote:
    A pie here is about $2 (E4). Kiwis love pie. Pie shops on street corners. Mosts shops have a poor excuse for a deli counter, but most will have a hot food unit filled with pies :/

Yes but when you take into the account the price of the flight and the couple of days of off work and the hassle of the airport etc.. etc.. I don't think thats great value either.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

dellas1979 wrote:

Me thinks not.
    No, other way around.

/goes back to check previous post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

Idiots are willin' to pay these crazy prices (ah..crazy prices, now there was value for money:D ) and so places like On the Run charge them. If they werent bein' sold, prices would go down.

Fair play OP! I'm coming around to your way of thinking cos I've had enough of being ripped off!
    chamlis wrote:
    I was in a Fairplay Statoil shop yesterday, got a few bits and pieces. Handed your one a 50 note, got less than a tenner change!

There was no way it was that much. So, being Irish and not wanting to make a complaint or bring something back if there was a chance it was right I went through the purchases again and again. There was no receipt of course....

When I was convinced there was a mistake 100% I went back to her with all the stuff and asked her to check it again. Sure enough, it all came to 20 odd bucks, not the 40 odd she'd charged me

MENTAL! I was in a fair play statoil just 2 weeks ago and the exact same thing happened to me. I was charged nearly 40 squid for a cheap bottle of wine, loaf of bread, litre of milk and a moro bar. I too went back and it came to 17 quid. No receipt either - they only keep the last 4 sales in the system apparently :rolleyes: In fairness I did think it was a genuine mistake but imagine the amount of people who'd be halfway down the motorway and realise it unable to go back - at least I was walkin and could go back!

Mind you, I saw a fella drop his change on the ground coming out of spar the other day, he hesitated for a millisecond and then kept walking! My mate promptly picked up the 1.50 he'd left behind! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

Gazza22 wrote:
    Where in france? I'm thinking of hitting an irish bar in Paris in around 2 weeks time and i don't fancy going to that place!! :eek:
    Paris can be well expensive for pints. The least you will pay is around €6, unless its happy hours or there is some kind of promotion. You can pay up to €12 in the touristy areas.

So, expect to pay around €6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SNL

If goin to paris head up to the place de clichy, and the indian cafe which is directly across for the metro station, nice food good happy hour and in a alright neighbourhood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

I was in Grange Castle service station yesterday and got some chips and a breast of chicken in bacon, mushroom and cheese sauce for €4.50 and it was damn nice!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Tbh, i think most petrol station shops over charge somewhat for stuff like this. Its mostly due to the cost of running them though. In general, they don't make too much of a profit off of the petrol(some even sell it at a loss to draw customers into the shop) unless they seriously overcharge for it, so to cover all cost of running them, they have to overcharge a bit on the stuff in the shops.

Of course the prices that those on the run and the like charge are taking the piss as far as i can see

I tend to try and avoid buying anything in a petrol station for these reasons.

Advertisement