Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am i getting old and cheap?... or Daylight Robbery!

Options
  • 11-06-2007 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Okay guys,

I'm curious what someone else might think of this.
    Yesterday on the way home from would i was feeling a bit peckish and wanted something to eat real quick so i pulled into one of those "On the run" shops at an esso garage on the coast road.

Went up the the hot deli counter and because it was 5pm all that remained was a few dryed up pies.... you know the ones i'm talking about. Most SPAR's and Centras sell them and there a little bit smaller than a typical CD Disc.

So i asked the guy for two and went to the till.

Guy: "Anything else?"
    Me: "Nope :)" *dreams of pies*
    Guy: €10.00 please
    Me: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I honestly thought he was winding me up, i was like "No only the two small pies please" to which he then informed me each pie was €5 :o
    I kept telling him the price had to be wrong, but turns out it was correct. In the end i dont something i had NEVER done before.... and left it! No way was i paying €10.00 for two BURNT, 7 Hour Old, Smaller than a CD Pies lol :cool:

Does anyone else agree with me with this being a total and utter rip off, concidering you can buy these exact same pies in spar for around €1.50 - €2.00 (max)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

seems like they were winding you up.
    emaila complaint to the head office to cement your old codger status

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Rip-off alright, I would have said thanks but no thanks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I would have left them. €5 for a pie!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

€5 for a pie? Pffft!! You'd be a moron to even buy one, even if it was freshly made. MMM, all this talk of pie.....................I'm going to Tesco and buying myself a lovely cottage pie pack right now!! *saliva gathers in mouth*

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Your mistake for trying to buy those dodgy overpriced pies in the first place. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Mmmmmmmmm...............pies!!!

Complaint to head office. The money was clearly going into the guy's pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Mmmmmmmmm...............pies!!!

Complaint to head office. The money was clearly going into the guy's pocket.

Your ma's pocket more like!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Your ma's pocket more like!!!

*sigh* Go away ya ginger ninja or I'll be forced to lay out the pwnage via PES6!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

A fiver a pie... I'd have told him to fook off! I'd have expected both pies for less than a fiver!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

concidering you can buy these exact same pies in spar for around €1.50 - €2.00 (max)

lol, what spar you shopping in, the one from 10 / 20 years ago!? :D

For what you're getting I agree €5 is outrageous, alas that's what I'd expect to be charged, I eat out of deli's maybe a couple of times a weeks, so that price doesn't surprise me at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

I wouldn't have paid that for them if they were fresh out of the oven. That's a crazy price.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Wow - I wouldn't pay that for a good pie, let alone a crappy Centra-type one.

Costa café's are a bit of a rip-off too - just today I went to get a mixed fruit bowl thingey for my girlfriend. They were the only place nearby to have one and it was a tiny little thing, with about 1 apple-worth of fruit in it. €3.70. Fúck off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I was ina chipper in drogheda a while back,i'd had a few beers but i wasnt sloshed.For some reason i fancied a batter burger.The usual thing is that they have smallones about the size of a biscuit for abot 1.20 and larger ones for 2 quid odd...anyway they only had smallones so i ordered on of them.The bloke put it in the bag and took my money,he'd charged me 2.60 for the smallest batter burger i'd ever seen!I told him he was a rip off merchant and that i wanted my money back,he started ranting saying i'd bought it so it was my tough ****.I was going mad at this stage telling him the poxy thing had cost him less than 50 cent to buy and if i didnt feel i was getting value i wanted a refund.He eventually conceded and gave me my money back in a rage.Just before i left the place,i noticed him slipping the offending article back in the display window!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Name and shame the chipper already!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭greenkittie

Was at Garden Party at the weekend, bought two vodka cocktails... cost 14 euro, was feeling sore as i handed over a 20. Then the barman handed me back 18 euro :) bargin!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,911 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Jasus, last time I got one of those pies, it was €1.50 or something.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Was at Garden Party at the weekend, bought two vodka cocktails... cost 14 euro, was feeling sore as i handed over a 20. Then the barman handed me back 18 euro :) bargin!
    I can't even begin to imagine how this miscalculation happened. Did he think you gave him a €32 note?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I once paid £9sterling for a breakfast roll in England.

It was in a hotel and the nicest breakfast roll I ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Stark wrote:
    Jasus, last time I got one of those buys, it was €1.50 or something.

is this stelling some people think it is... i dont... i once had a bar man forget i paid him and after 2 mins of trying to give a 20 euro note i just walked off.... yay 6 drinks for free :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 peadair 11

€5.50 for 2 icecream cones (99ers) out of a dodgy fan at the weekend - Felt like Fooking thr icecream back in the window at him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭sioda

OP personally think you were taking your life into your own hands with 7 hour old pies but still what a rip off.

Reminds me of a Irish bar I was in in France wanted €6 for a pint of Fosters (Very Irish) and €11 for a pint of murphys

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

A shocking price indeed, even when their fresh they're not worth the price we pay for them. Good for you for handing them back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

flogen wrote:
    Costa café's are a bit of a rip-off too - just today I went to get a mixed fruit bowl thingey for my girlfriend. They were the only place nearby to have one and it was a tiny little thing, with about 1 apple-worth of fruit in it. €3.70. Fúck off.

GF yeah right ;)

OT Airport in Paris (that place that doesn't exist :D ) 2 pints Hino 2 hang sanguages €29 :eek:

On the other side, in a pub a while ago, got a pint and handed the surly barmnan a fiver and he gave me change of a tenner, thought score ! Went up to get another pint later, handed him the tenner and he gives me change of a twenty ! Double score :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Did the conversation go a little something like this?!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

On the run is a complete rip off... The rolls are always thrown together and overpriced, the scones are always like rocks.. Horrible food :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

basquille wrote:
    Did the conversation go a little something like this?!

I was wondering when someone would throw that up lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

welcome to celtic tiger ireland, would you like frie's with that? only another tenner :D

were the most expensive country in western europe. what did you expect. you cant even get a bag of chips for less than 2 euro now. next time do yourself a favor and get a feed in a pub carvery. pretty much the only place you can get value grub anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

Those On the Run places are a rip off. Got a roll there once for about €5, normally a roll is about €3.50, €4 max. And the food wasn't even nice to top it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

I was in a Fairplay Statoil shop yesterday, got a few bits and pieces. Handed your one a 50 note, got less than a tenner change! :eek:

There was no way it was that much. So, being Irish and not wanting to make a complaint or bring something back if there was a chance it was right :rolleyes: I went through the purchases again and again. There was no receipt of course....

When I was convinced there was a mistake 100% I went back to her with all the stuff and asked her to check it again. Sure enough, it all came to 20 odd bucks, not the 40 odd she'd charged me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

theres no way he had the price right unless you were buying some massive pies

Advertisement