Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Ahern become Taoiseach on June 14th?

Options
  • 28-05-2007 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

Discrepancies in Ahern's account: Mahon

A barrister for the Mahon Tribunal has said he has uncovered discrepancies in the account given by Taoiseach Bertie Ahern concerning lodgements totalling over £100,000 pounds received in the 1990s.

The inquiry heard that one lodgement could not have been the result of a £30,000 sterling lodgement as claimed by Mr Ahern.

Bertie Ahern said the money lodged to the account of Celia Larkin in December 1994 came from £30,000 sterling in cash given to him by Manchester businessman Michael Wall.
    Advertisement

He said it was for structural work on the house in Drumcondra he was then renting from Mr Wall.

But Des O'Neill SC for the inquiry said today that the £28,777 lodged did not equate with the sterling exchange rate and that bank records showed there were no such sterling transactions that day.

There were however transactions in other currencies that day which would equate a payment of $45,000 dollars.

Another transaction said to have been a re-lodgement of savings by Mr Ahern was now discovered to have been the result of a sterling transaction. While another lodgement did not back up Mr Ahern's claim that he received £8,000 sterling from Manchester businessman.

Mr O'Neill also said there is very little documentary evidence to support Mr Ahern's about the source of the five lodgements totalling over £116,000.

The Mahon Tribunal resumed with the opening of the Quarryvale module after it was postponed for the duration of the General Election campaign.

The tribunal is investigating an allegation Mr Ahern received £80,000 from developer Owen O'Callaghan to block a tax deal for a rival shopping centre development.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0528/mahon.html

If this is just that start of what is expected to come out over the next weeks will what's left of the PDs, Greens, Labour, Sinn Féin, McGrath, Gregory even touch this guy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

This could trow a spanner in the works for Ahern. This might cause some TD's not to vote him in as Taoiseach. The independants and greens might not support him because of this.

Looks like there will be a very unstable dail no matter which side is in gorement.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

As I said in the thread in the Politics forum it doesn't bode well if the first day of the resumption of the Tribunial unearths information like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Ardent

"You get the government you deserve" seems really apt right now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Well, did you not expect this? Maybe not in the first day!

Bertie never looked happy after the results. Strange for a leader that produced a record surprise result.

He knew storm clouds were brewing. He has also been mentioning Cowen qualities as leader recently. Strange that..

• Advertisement

Ardent wrote:
    "You get the government you deserve" seems really apt right now.

It just shows people would belive anything that comes out of that mans mouth. I just wonder what hes going to say next:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

There is something seriously wrong with a people that continue to elect a man who has continuously lied to people, then lied in saying he never lied, then lied in saying he wouldnt do it again, then ....ad naeseum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

ronoc wrote:
    Bertie never looked happy after the results. Strange for a leader that produced a record surprise result.

He knew storm clouds were brewing. He has also been mentioning Cowen qualities as leader recently. Strange that..

C'mon now lads, that will be explained in simple terms as soon as some yarn or other gets drummed up by the mates. Maybe the safe in St. Lukes was bigger than Bertie imagined.

FLAVIUS
    Thou art a cobbler, art thou?
    FLAVIUS
    You're a cobbler, are you?

COBBLER
    Truly, sir, all that I live by is with the awl. I meddle with no
    tradesman's matters nor women's matters, but withal I am
    indeed, sir, a surgeon to old shoes. When they are in great
    danger, I recover them. As proper men as ever trod upon
    neat's leather have gone upon my handiwork.
    COBBLER
    Sir, I make my living using an awl. I stick to my work; I don't meddle in politics or chase women. I'm a surgeon to old shoes. When they're endangered, I save them. The noblest men who ever walked on leather have walked on my handiwork.

FLAVIUS
    But wherefore art not in thy shop today?
    Why dost thou lead these men about the streets?
    FLAVIUS
    But why aren't you in your shop today? Why are you leading these men through the streets?

COBBLER
    Truly, sir, to wear out their shoes to get myself into more
    work. But indeed, sir, we make holiday to see Caesar and to
    rejoice in his triumph.
    COBBLER
    Well, to wear out their shoes and get myself more work. Seriously, though, we took the day off to see Caesar, sir, and celebrate his triumph.

MURELLUS
    Wherefore rejoice? What conquest brings he home?
    What tributaries follow him to Rome
    To grace in captive bonds his chariot wheels?
    You blocks, you stones, you worse than senseless things,
    O you hard hearts, you cruèl men of Rome,
    Knew you not Pompey? Many a time and oft
    Have you climbed up to walls and battlements,
    To towers and windows, yea, to chimney tops,
    Your infants in your arms, and there have sat
    The livelong day with patient expectation
    To see great Pompey pass the streets of Rome.
    And when you saw his chariot but appear,
    Have you not made an universal shout

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

What's there today was probably known when Ahern called the election and almost immediately the tribunal was postponed until after the election. Before this postponement it was said the tribunal would stop 2 weeks before the election but it was just over 3 weeks - if there were discrepancies and these were known when the tribunal was postponed why was it postponed - the electorate had the right to know this then - all it got was Ahern's side of the story saying everything was above board. Doesn't matter now, whether he stays as Taoiseach or not FF have won the election and are here for another 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭JerkyBoy

It is going to be nearly impossible for Ahern to form the next Government as Taoiseach...especially not with this breaking news:

He can't even satisfy the tribunal with his accounts of payments to him from businessmen...how is he supposed to satisfy potential Government partners, now that McDowell isn't around to pretend these matters don't exist??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭JerkyBoy

How is Bertie going to satisfy potential coalition members when he can't satisfy the Tribunal with his explanations of payments\lodgements from busniessmen?

The negotiations for new Government just got a lot more difficult...

Who is likely to just let this slide?
    PDs? Can they get away with pretending these matters don't exist again?
    Independents? Lowry and Flynn can't really talk...but Gregory etc might have a problem?

Greens and Labour certainly can't do a deal with Bertie now...

Any predictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

&#231 wrote: »
    There is something seriously wrong with a people that continue to elect a man who has continuously lied to people, then lied in saying he never lied, then lied in saying he wouldnt do it again, then ....ad naeseum.

NO No No No, you can't say he lied, that is an opinion, not a fact. The money must have been a sterling exchange transaction from his future landlord to renovate a house he didn't even own, the bank records must be wrong, Bertie said so.
    Are you biased against FF? You must be, you've already condemned him before every single last scrap of evidence is out (and the only evidence that counts are statements from Ahern which must be taken at face value at all times) Why do you hate democracy?

We must give Berturde the benefit of the doubt, there are perfectly reasonable explanations for why hardly any of his public statements have been corroborated by any evidence and in fact contradicted by financial records and testimony from those involved.

Akrasia wrote:
    NO No No No, you can't say he lied, that is an opinion, not a fact. The money must have been a sterling exchange transaction from his future landlord to renovate a house he didn't even own, the bank records must be wrong, Bertie said so.
    Are you biased against FF? You must be, you've already condemned him before every single last scrap of evidence is out (and the only evidence that counts are statements from Ahern which must be taken at face value at all times) Why do you hate democracy?

We must give Berturde the benefit of the doubt, there are perfectly reasonable explanations for why hardly any of his public statements have been corroborated by any evidence and in fact contradicted by financial records and testimony from those involved.

Hes had his chance to come clean. He didnt. How many more biscuit tins of cash does he have stored away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Uuuh Patsy

Akrasia wrote:

I'm still in shock as to why half of the population didnt see that this was coming. I have no doubt now that are large proportion of our population treat party politics as if it were a sport. That you support your side no matter how sh!t they seem regardless of anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Threads merged.

Caveat Suffragator - no point in bleating about it now -

I get the feeling Akrasia was being sarcastic, and slightly taking the piss out of some of the hardcore Fianna Failers on here who fail to realise that the man has lied. In fact, he has now been caught in a lie, in that at least one of the bank lodgments CANNOT be attributed to the explanation he gave them.

Therefore there is no way that anyone can say anything other than this: Bertie Ahern, our Taoiseach, has lied about money recieved. Simply put.

Personally I think its around this point the Irish people should be marching up to the door and demanding a resignation, but hey, like that one'll work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

It's all about alternatives.

A gifted, albeit perhaps corrupt leader ,who commands respect on the international stage and has presided over unprecedented economic stability and growth versus a 3rd rate Enda Kenny who is clearly not capable of the job.

This is not a blind electorate, nor a stupid electorate, just one that had to make a choice of what was best for the country......were the alternative credible and viable I have no doubt it would have been elected, hell I only voted FF to keep Enda out....

Personally I think its around this point the Irish people should be marching up to the door and demanding a resignation, but hey, like that one'll work.

Wouldn't make a difference, FF would still have 77 seats without Ahern - it's not really about Ahern - it's FF who are again in power. Unless .... get off your ar*e Kenny and fight the fight ....

• Advertisement

Sorry but "wouldnt make a difference"? This doesnt come down to party politics, this comes down to the fact that we have a leader who has lied to the Irish people, and therefore should not be in power. It makes every bit of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Uuuh Patsy wrote:
    I'm still in shock as to why half of the population didnt see that this was coming. I have no doubt now that are large proportion of our population treat party politics as if it were a sport. That you support your side no matter how sh!t they seem regardless of anything else.

People are inherently selfish- and voting is a selfish act. Many intelligent people voted Fianna Fail, knowing full-well Bertie is dodgy, because they simply don't care about corruption.
    "It's the economy, Stupid" As long as their pockets are filled that all that matters to them and in their minds Fianna Fail are the ones to ensure that continues. Granted there are people who swayed by parish pump politics- my father's father voted Fianna Fail and so must I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 The White Rose

I voted FF and this is a bombshell

Maybe I was naive or worse stupid but i did believe the payments were to do with his house (sort of)

If this is true, he has to go NOW and hand over to someone like Cowen or even better call another election

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Smarmore

Therefore there is no way that anyone can say anything other than this: Bertie Ahern, our Taoiseach, has lied about money recieved. Simply put.

Des O'Neill SC, for the tribunal, said that no one should draw any conclusions from the figures and that there might be other explanations for them.

Is he allowed to say it?

He is. and there may be other explanations. However, its being shown now that the explanations that Bertie Ahern gave previously were NOT TRUE.

Therefore, that is a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Inquitus wrote:
    It's all about alternatives.

A gifted, albeit perhaps corrupt leader ,who commands respect on the international stage and has presided over unprecedented economic stability and growth versus a 3rd rate Enda Kenny who is clearly not capable of the job.

This is not a blind electorate, nor a stupid electorate, just one that had to make a choice of what was best for the country......were the alternative credible and viable I have no doubt it would have been elected, hell I only voted FF to keep Enda out....

Bertie wasn't always Taoiseach he had to start somewhere and Enda has been in politics a while according to himself. Secondly no man is an island Bertie doesn't rule the country with one hand and accept backhanders with the other he has plenty of minions to help him there. They way you talk you'd swear he was Die Führer. Therefore calling Enda 3rd rate is a little zealous considering Bertie hasn't even the balls to tell the US military that we are a neutral country or the vision considering ten years in government to provide affordable broadband to this a 1st world nation. Negative voting suggests fear and fear.......well fear is bad and breeds narrowness. I hope the next 5 years prove me wrong but I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Smarmore

He is. and there may be other explanations. However, its being shown now that the explanations that Bertie Ahern gave previously were NOT TRUE.

Therefore, that is a lie.

He said there were discrepancies and a lot of it is to do with exchange rates. He also said there is not much documentary evidence on the 5 lodgements so maybe you should wait until Bertie gives his account before brandishing him a liar. Unless I'm mistaken the Mahon tribunal is an ongoing investigation and these kind of snippets should not really be leaked to the press. You don't see jurys casting their verdict half way through a trial, especially when the accused has not been given an opportunity to defend themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Bertie wasn't always Taoiseach he had to start somewhere and Enda has been in politics a while according to himself. Secondly no man is an island Bertie doesn't rule the country with one hand and accept backhanders with the other he has plenty of minions to help him there. They way you talk you'd swear he was Die Führer. Therefore calling Enda 3rd rate is a little zealous considering Bertie hasn't even the balls to tell the US military that we are a neutral country or the vision considering ten years in government to provide affordable broadband to this a 1st world nation. Negative voting suggests fear and fear.......well fear is bad and breeds narrowness. I hope the next 5 years prove me wrong but I doubt it.

Clap Clap well said

smarmore wrote:
    He said there were discrepancies and a lot of it is to do with exchange rates. He also said there is not much documentary evidence on the 5 lodgements so maybe you should wait until Bertie gives his account before brandishing him a liar. Unless I'm mistaken the Mahon tribunal is an ongoing investigation and these kind of snippets should not really be leaked to the press. You don't see jurys casting their verdict half way through a trial, especially when the accused has not been given an opportunity to defend themselves.
    The verdict in the mahon tribunal won't be on whether he lied, it'll be on whether he took a brown envelope. Two very big differences. One shouldnt be answered until the mahon tribunal is finished, one is very easy to answer during proceedings.

We'll see what comes out when Berties defence makes a statement to the tribunal - which I think is supposed to be later today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

He may have been hoping that this could all come out after the next Government had formed.

As it is, it's on very shaky ground - if they do manage to form a Government with the Greens & Inds, further revelations could cause the Greens and/or independents to jump ship and cause FF to lose their majority.
    Best course of action now would be to get Labour onside and sacrifice four or five ministries, as an carrot to keep Labour in government. Then Bertie should resign as party leader and hand the reigns over to Cowen. Thus any fallout will be minimised and FF protected from it.

Although we've seen him get out of tight scrapes. He's not called the "Teflon Taoiseach" for nothing...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement