Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two manholes in back garden

Options
  • 25-05-2007 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

hi guys i just visit my new home in Portlaoise, Kilminchy and there is Manhole in back garden not one but two about the ground level about 6 to 9 inches so i m bringing snager on Tuesday to see other things but i m just wandering can something be done about them? i mean i dont want to see them there can they be removed or lowered 3 feet in ground as i doubt at some stage they start smelling etc. i checked other properties in same row no one have just me any my property next door have two but no other house have even single any suggestion would be very helpful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

They're there for access. If there's ever a problem and you have buried them, then you'll have a bigger more unsightly mess if they need to be dug up again. Just plant a few ground covering shrubs around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

wasim21k wrote:
    hi guys i just visit my new home in Portlaoise, Kilminchy and there is Manhole in back garden not one but two about the ground level about 6 to 9 inches so i m bringing snager on Tuesday to see other things but i m just wandering can something be done about them? i mean i dont want to see them there can they be removed or lowered 3 feet in ground as i doubt at some stage they start smelling etc.

Dame all can be done about them, you're just unlucky that there's an access point needed there. TBH my parenst had 2 in their garden, never an issue. Either plant shrubs abround them, or put a large pot on them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Manholes shouldnt be in back gardens. Very bad practice.

There is also the issue of way leaves. You'll probably find that what ever county council or utility company owns the manholes have the right to access them for repair and what not.

At the very least the cover levels of the manholes should be at the same level as the ground around it.

You can aslo come up with arrangments and markers to hide the manhole but it isnt used that often

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

so you mean to say i have to live with them there is not way i can remove them and let say if there is something wrong they will come and dig my garden? :mad:
    if i have to have planning permission to build my own home it will take about year if i m lucky how they get planning permission and i end up manhole in back garden???? they just dump pipes and manhole and then build houses on them??????? dont they have some common sence????

(believe me guys Irish rules are far beyond to be human friendly)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Check what they are allowing access to. I see you said Portlaosie, Kilminchy. Is it far out of Portlaoise? Do you have a septic tank?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

smashey wrote:
    Check what they are allowing access to. I see you said Portlaosie, Kilminchy. Is it far out of Portlaoise? Do you have a septic tank?

i m not sure that house have septic tank but tomorrow i m going to snag and i ask to that snagger and he said to me that 90% chances that its not possible to move them or remove them one thing to remember that i m talking about live all life there and i have to pay 35 years for that house. my question if some one want to have planning permission they will through millions of question at you but why these question not fall on builders?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

The manholes will be there for a reason (access/inspection) and the builders would have had no choice in the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

I can't see the problem. There are strict building regulations in place these days, and if there was anything wrong with putting 2 manholes in a back garden then surely this wouldnt have happened. I know a few people with manholes in their gardens who have never had any trouble - the only complaint is that they dont look nice.

Sure, if the council ever need access you might have to take a day off work or something, but i would gladly put up with this if it meant owning my own home.

Put some paving slabs (loose) on top of them and get a few nice plants.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I can't see the problem. There are strict building regulations in place these days, and if there was anything wrong with putting 2 manholes in a back garden then surely this wouldnt have happened. I know a few people with manholes in their gardens who have never had any trouble - the only complaint is that they dont look nice.

Sure, if the council ever need access you might have to take a day off work or something, but i would gladly put up with this if it meant owning my own home.

Put some paving slabs (loose) on top of them and get a few nice plants.

There is so many issues having these in your back gardens as stated above.

By manholes I assume they are the 1m diameter square/rectangular ones.

If they are smaller they are only A.Js (but these should be within 2-5m of the house).

I'm confused though. Is it a self build or an estate? If its a self build its your owb fault for laying the house like that. If its an estate ie a development by others then its just bad practice.

I would also ask your legal team to look into rights of ways/way leaves etc as these can be fairly strict some times.

kearnsr wrote:
    If they are smaller they are only A.Js (but these should be within 2-5m of the house).

I would also ask your legal team to look into rights of ways/way leaves etc as these can be fairly strict some times.

The ones I'm talking about are round ones, not rectangular, and certainly not a meter wide....what are A.Js?

What do you mean by way leaves and rights of ways in the context of them being strict?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

My parents used to have 2 in our old house built in 1980. My dad covered them up with a few inches of dirt. There was always a slight mound and you knew you were walking over it but it did not affect us in any way. then again no one ever needed to dig up the garden or get access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

there were two manholes in the back garden of the house i grew up in
    manhole in the back garden of my mother's house now.
    Never thought anything of them.
    The dog used to obsess with one of them during the summer I remember. I assume it smelt of something for her - but there was no smell detectable to humans.

The ones I'm talking about are round ones, not rectangular, and certainly not a meter wide....what are A.Js?

What do you mean by way leaves and rights of ways in the context of them being strict?

A.J = acces junction for rodding etc

You can build over way leaves or have things placed with in 5 m of it stuff like that.

There is also the issue of liabilty if some one hurts them selfs on the manholes ie a kid falls on it while playing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭DO0GLE

You can also paint them with green metal paint to help hide them. Then surround them with schrubs or pot plants.

kearnsr wrote:
    At the very least the cover levels of the manholes should be at the same level as the ground around it.

...just a quick one on this - if they aren't, what are the options? Can you pare them down or is adding topsoil the easier option?

...just a quick one on this - if they aren't, what are the options? Can you pare them down or is adding topsoil the easier option?

Easiest thing to do would be to add in some extra top soil. Depenind on cover levels and how the manhole was formed it would be possible to reduce the dept of the manhole but at this stage I wouldnt see that happening

kearnsr wrote:
    Easiest thing to do would be to add in some extra top soil. Depenind on cover levels and how the manhole was formed it would be possible to reduce the dept of the manhole but at this stage I wouldnt see that happening

Thanks :) Is adding topsoil a big job for a small garden if the manhole is about an inch or 2 above ground level...???

Thanks :) Is adding topsoil a big job for a small garden if the manhole is about an inch or 2 above ground level...???

It wouldnt be a big job.

Depending on the site you may have to buy topsoil which has a cost involved.

You should be able to lay it your self but as this is in the snag stage the builder should do this for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭clg23

I have a square manhole thing (approx 1m x 1m) it is rusted and rotting and has become a danger. Is it the councils responsibility to replace the cover?

clg23 wrote:
    I have a square manhole thing (approx 1m x 1m) it is rusted and rotting and has become a danger. Is it the councils responsibility to replace the cover?

This is were the problem can come up.

The council will repair it but will charge you becuase its in private property. Nothing like this should be in private proerty.
    Same if it gets blocked. To unblock it will cost you

• Advertisement

I'm considering covering it up, i have only recently bought the house and from the look of the manhole cover i doubt it has been opened in 10/20 years..

clg23 wrote:
    I'm considering covering it up, i have only recently bought the house and from the look of the manhole cover i doubt it has been opened in 10/20 years..

you'd probably get away with it

Thanks for the info so far kearnsr, it's just a relation has one and I think it annoys him sticking up so I was just wondering what the options were.
    kearnsr wrote:
    The council will repair it but will charge you becuase its in private property. Nothing like this should be in private proerty.
    Same if it gets blocked. To unblock it will cost you

This is crazy stuff!! If it is a council drain access and you have no choice but to have it in your garden, if work needs doing on it, surely you couldn't be charged for it....I thought if it was blocked or whatever, you would call the council and just grant them access to your garden to fix it.

If it was out on the road they wouldn't have anyone to charge so shouldn't the same apply??

This is crazy stuff!! If it is a council drain access and you have no choice but to have it in your garden, if work needs doing on it, surely you couldn't be charged for it....I thought if it was blocked or whatever, you would call the council and just grant them access to your garden to fix it.

If it was out on the road they wouldn't have anyone to charge so shouldn't the same apply??

It does seem crazy that council property that has become a danger would be up to me to pay? I wonder if somebody fell through it and got injured who would be liable? But when it comes to the council there isnt much that suprises me...

Thanks for the info so far kearnsr, it's just a relation has one and I think it annoys him sticking up so I was just wondering what the options were.

It is crazy but I've seen it happen. Its the fact that its in private grounds thats the big problem.

Its different if its say the foul outlet from your house going into the main trunk sewer in the road. If that blocks (the foul outlet) thats up to you.

It does seem crazy that council property that has become a danger would be up to me to pay? I wonder if somebody fell through it and got injured who would be liable? But when it comes to the council there isnt much that suprises me...

Not sure on the legal side of things

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

What makes you think it belongs to the council? Does it say anything about it in your deeds?

More than likely, it's a shared drain for you and your neighbours. It belongs to you and any repairs to the drain are up to you and the neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lushballs

Moved in to a new house last year.
    Manhole in middle of small back garden which was surrounded by an oversized amount of concrete. Thanks guys! Decided to extend decking. Covered ugly manhole/concrete with decking. Used screws instead of nails for decking over manhole in case it ever needs to be opened. I imagine i will be replacing decking long before manhole needs to be accessed. Please God!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I too have a manhole in my back garden. Like someone has already described, it's about 1m square. After 5 or 6 years living in this property we discovered that it is indeed the foul outlet thingy that's been described. Basically we pour bleach down it every 6 months or so and if it gets blocked (happened twice- full of feces, toilet roll etc, totally STINKS) it's up to us to unblock it. My house is rented and I'm glad about that because the thought of ever owning a house with one of those disgusting things in the yard turns me right off. Having something like that on private property is crazy! Yuck. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Karyn wrote:
    I too have a manhole in my back garden. Like someone has already described, it's about 1m square. After 5 or 6 years living in this property we discovered that it is indeed the foul outlet thingy that's been described. Basically we pour bleach down it every 6 months or so and if it gets blocked (happened twice- full of feces, toilet roll etc, totally STINKS) it's up to us to unblock it. My house is rented and I'm glad about that because the thought of ever owning a house with one of those disgusting things in the yard turns me right off. Having something like that on private property is crazy! Yuck. :mad:

Your drain is blocked. It is very badly blocked if it gets in such a state within six months. It may be broken. Your landlord and neighbours should get this fixed, because if it collapses, it's going to be very expensive to repair.

There is really no way to arrange houses with back gardens so that there are no shared private drains and no manholes. It just doesn't work that way, what with gravity and all.

• Advertisement

What makes you think it belongs to the council? Does it say anything about it in your deeds?

More than likely, it's a shared drain for you and your neighbours. It belongs to you and any repairs to the drain are up to you and the neighbours.

I just would have thought that because the management of waste etc is the responsibility of the council (with directives from Dept. of Environment), that it would be up to them to supply people living in the council area with clean and efficient drainage. If this is not happening, then I thought it would be council responsibility to rectify the situation....via your manhole if necessary!

Advertisement