Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Miseducation of Jimbo Slice

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Malteaser! wrote: »
    '

Any excuse to show off eh?? You really don't look like you're nearly 100kg, not many people could get away with that!!:)

Meh, I'm good with that!!

Update leg shot...

Photo515.jpg

And here's a back one, the lighting isn't the best but my upper back is showing major improvements

Photo510.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

God yeah, it really is...story with the dodgy lights though?? were they taken on the macbook or something...get a flash boy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

Hanley wrote:

One word man: Savage!
    You must be part ox!

What weight do you have to get to for the worlds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭maxi-twist

Hanley wrote: »

Where did you get your runners? There pretty good.

Nearly hitting 160 now :D:D:D

mack1 wrote: »
    One word man: Savage!
    You must be part ox!

What weight do you have to get to for the worlds?

Thanks!!

THere's no real weight I HAVE to get. The qualification lifts were done back in January.

I'd like to hit between 165 and 175, probably ending up somewher in the middle of those 2!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

Thanks!!

THere's no real weight I HAVE to get. The qualification lifts were done back in January.

I'd like to hit between 165 and 175, probably ending up somewher in the middle of those 2!!

Sorry, I meant what body weight you had to get to - I don't know what the weight categories are.

165+ that'd be some benching man!

"Deload" - The sweetest word you can say to a powerlifter.

Speed Pulls:
    70kg x5
    100kg x3
    120kg x2
    150kg 10x1 (45 second rests)

Sumos:
    70kg x5
    100kg x5
    140kg x3
    160kg x3
    180kg 3x3

Neutral Grip Chins:
    Bodyweight 3x12

Barbell Curls:
    20kg x6
    25kg x6
    30kg x6
    35kg x6
    40kg x6
    45kg x6
    50kg x8

Just on a nice easy taper now. Hitting my last heavy pul 2 and a half weeks out is something I've not done before but alot of people seem to be getting great results with it. Hoepfully I'll be the same. I've actually NEVER deloaded my deadlfit for that long before and gone for a max so at least I'll now if it works or not afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Lookin' big Hanley - kinda makes me want to get big again :(

Best of luck with the comp.

t-ha wrote: »
    Lookin' big Hanley - kinda makes me want to get big again :(

Best of luck with the comp.

I may be big, but I'm sure you could kick my ass. How goes the MMA?

Nice easy day today just to break in my new wraps a tad so it's not the first time I have them on at the comp.

Squats:
    60kg x5
    100kg x3
    120kg x3
    140kg x3
    160kg x3
    *wraps*
    180kg 2x3

Hanging leg raises:
    3x8 (feet to bar)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Hanging leg raises:
    3x8 (feet to bar)

You mean you hang from a pull up bar and bring your legs all the way up to your hands, whilst keeping legs straight? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

OMG you just did ~75% for easy triples one week before a comp!!

Here's what you should be doing:

Planned 3rd attempt 2months out, then smith machine front squats for 3 weeks, followed by a month off. You're killing yourself doing what you're doing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭walt0r

OMG OMG I want man secks with you hanley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭walt0r

On a more serious note: I'll be watching with interest to see how you do, kick ass man.

BossArky wrote: »
    You mean you hang from a pull up bar and bring your legs all the way up to your hands, whilst keeping legs straight? :eek:

Indeedy.

Along the lines of this bad boy here... http://www.fullfitness.net/images_inside/back/hanging_leg_raise2.jpg Except with my arms in ab slings http://i.b5z.net/i/u/230085/i/Ab_sling_ab_harness_ezr.jpg

It's pretty brutal, bu it's such an awesome core exercise

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Tried a set of them yesterday for the first time, ooucch!

When is your competition?

BossArky wrote: »
    Tried a set of them yesterday for the first time, ooucch!

When is your competition?

They're pretty brutal. The progression I use was... legs bent to parallel, legs straight to parallel, legs bent going high, legs straight to bar. It's taken me a long time to work up to them but they're aweomse.

I'm lifting this day next week. Sunday the 18th!

Last day of training today....

Bench:
    60kg x5
    80kg x3
    100kg x3
    110kg x1
    120kg x1
    *Shirt on*
    140kg x1
    150kg x1
    155kg x1
    160kg x1

Rolling Dumbbell Extenstions:
    15kg 'bells 3x12

Chest Supported Row:
    3x12

All the bench reps were paused and super easy. I'm feeling confident now on it for the first time this whole cycle. Just in time.

They're pretty brutal. The progression I use was... legs bent to parallel, legs straight to parallel, legs bent going high, legs straight to bar. It's taken me a long time to work up to them but they're aweomse.

I'm lifting this day next week. Sunday the 18th!

I'll try that progression out.

Good luck in the comp next Sunday!

Update time....

Arrived in Edinburgh at 10am this morning. Got a bus to the city centre and promptly got lost on the way to our hotel (even tho it's literally a three minute walk from the stop...). There's a recurring trend here. Last time I was at a comp (IPO nationals in Galways) I managed to get myself and Malteaser lost. And I managed it again today.

And the less said about trying to find the actual comp venue the better!!

It actually looks like a really nice venue so hopefully it'll live up to it's promise. I got all my gear checked in and checked my weight which is at about 96-97kg so I've loads of room to play with. I enjoyed lots of food today and will be doing the same tomorrow!!

Apparently there's over 110 lifters tomorrow, so I can see it being a horribly long day for the spotters, loaders, refs and all involved. I will state now that I will be truly shocked if the last lift is done before 8pm. Only 50ish lifting on Sunday so probably 4 or 5 flights. Not sure if they're gonna run if off 2 platforms on Sunday yet or not, but the comp shouldn't run too long either way.

Stay tuned folks...

• Advertisement

First day back...

Closed my CoC number 1 for 10 reps and then did my no. 2 for one.

Dumbbell Bench:
    25kg x12
    30kg x12
    35kg 3x12

Seated Dumbbell Press:
    20kg 2x8
    30kg 3x8

Rack Chins:
    Bodyweight 15-12-12 rest pause (rp)
    10kg 12-10-6 rp

Neutral Grip Pulldowns:
    15-12-8 rp

Barbell Curls:
    30kg 15-12-8 rp

Loving the rest pause work at the moment.

Feeling good already? Are you doing a monkeyboy on those chins lol?

Yeah felt grand, just said **** it lets go. My upper body feels good to go, but my lower is still a bit fatigued. Might try and get a little bit done tomorrow, go super wide on the pulls and start the build up from there. Maybe even something as simple as 3x5 with 80-90kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

You really are insane.

Good work on getting back at it so quickly, it was deadly getting to train with you again!! :)

Big shout out to Trib for giving me some ideas to work with today!

Sumo Deadlifts (ultra wide, all beltless):
    60kg x5
    100kg x2
    120kg x5
    140kg x5
    160kg x5

Seated Cable Row:
    3x12 w/ 30 sec breaks

Neutral Grip Face Pulls:
    4x15

Dumbbell Rows (strapless):
    40kg x12
    50kg x12

Shrugs (double over hand, strapless):
    70kg x8
    80kg x8
    90kg x8
    100kg x8
    110kg x8

Steep Decline Situps:
    Bodyweight x8
    5kg med ball on chest 3x8

Trib had his first run out in his V-type last night and he went toes to the plates and was pulled several PRs with picture perfect form. And looking back on my recent comp vids it's pretty obvious I need more hip strength. they're just shooting right up outta the hole and I'm losing so much drive, so the plan is to build up some with the ultra wide pulls. I'm gonna try and build them up over the course of the next 4 or 5 weeks and then get back into my suit for nationals build up and hope it has all come together.

If I can get my hips to stay down and not stiff leg my pulls I'll hopefully hit some PR's next time out.

Just gonna take a nice gradual build up with the shrugs and ab work over the next few weeks too. Not pushing too hard as of yet becase I'm still recovering from the weekend!

Today's deadlifts.. nice and easy 160kg x5

Very quick! I found the biggest thing to watch out for is keeping my shoulders behind the bar, a few times I've forgotten to do that and it's been very slow off the ground (even for a sumo).

tribulus wrote: »
    Very quick! I found the biggest thing to watch out for is keeping my shoulders behind the bar, a few times I've forgotten to do that and it's been very slow off the ground (even for a sumo).

Considering they were done beltless I was genuinely shocked how easy they were. And they caused no pain anywhere (which is something I was worried about).

I reckon +10kg a week with them for a top set of 5 is a good goal.

Bench: (all sets w/ doubled mini bands)
    60kg x5
    70kg x5
    80kg x5
    90kg x5
    100kg x3

2 Board Press:
    110kg x3
    120kg x3
    130kg x3

4 Board Press:
    140kg x2
    145kg x2
    150kg x2
    155kg x2
    157.5kg x3

Pulldowns:
    1/2 stack x10
    3/4 stack x10
    stack (less 5 plates) 3x10

Seated Dumbbell Powercleans:
    10kg 'bells 3x15

Band Pushdowns:
    green band 3x30

*supersetted with*

Hammer Curls:
    15kg 'bells 3x15

Nice little session to get back into things. Started a new little training group up, I'm expecting big things from all 3 of us in the run up to nationals.

140x3 is my PR off 2 boards and my best off 3 is 160x1. That was done the week beforte I benched 180kg so if I can build up over those numbers in the next 6-8 weeks then I'll be happy.

All done in under 90 mins, twas a pretty quick fire session.

• Advertisement

Squats: (all sets beltless)
    60kg x6
    80kg x6
    100kg x6
    120kg x6
    140kg 3x6

Box Squats: (w/ light band)
    bar x5
    40kg x5
    50kg x5
    60kg 3x5

High Hang Power Snatch:
    20kg x3
    40kg x3
    50kg x3
    60kg 3x3

Hanging Leg Raises (strict and slow):
    feet to the bar 3x6

Wide Stance Pull Thrus:
    3x15

Really rocking the beltless squats today. They felt really good. It's pretty mcuh at PR levels already, so opefully I'll bring them up over the next few weeks even further.

I suck BADLY at box squats. For comparison, one of the guys I was squatting with hit 140kg x2 on beltled squats, I did 140 3x6 but he was still 2x as fast as me off the box. Something to work on me thinks...

EDIT: Just checked, my beltless PR is 145 x8 which I probably coulda done today so it's looking like my raw squats gonna be pushed to new heights over the next few weeks.

Advertisement