Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest Purchases - Read mod note in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,101 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Cool wrote: »
    Have a wedding on the bank holiday weekend so bought this from ASOS. Originally €103, reduced to €41, I converted to GBP and paid about €35.
    I'm going to wear it with gold glitter pointy toe heels and a pearl beaded clutch that I bought from Penneys last spring, I'll need to find some kind of cover up for church though as I don't have a jacket that goes - if anyone has any suggestions :pac:

<SNIP>

I will say I'm often hesitant about ASOS because I'm a curvy 16 so things look very different on me to the model, but I think this actually looks great on me, for once! Yes, I'm feelin maself :D

I love the colour and length

Did you try Dunnes or Penneys for a cheap shrug or kimono or short blazer jacket?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I love the colour and length

Did you try Dunnes or Penneys for a cheap shrug or kimono or short blazer jacket?
    I seen a short cream blazer jacket on iclothing this morning - hang on til I go look for it online....

Edit: link: https://www.iclothing.com/kim-tailored-cropped-blazer-in-beige
    The code MIDSEASON should give another 10% off.
    I have one for years and get good wear out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭shalclon

Do u have a link handy? It's a beautiful dress

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Here's the link, it's still available up to size 12:
    https://www.asos.com/asos-design/asos-design-lace-plunge-neck-midi-prom-dress/prd/9410868?ctaRef=my%20orders

That cream blazer is lovely! Penneys etc is on the list first, you never know what I might see on a mosey :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Got myself a new pair of shoes to celebrate a recent achievement. I've been looking for nice shoe boots, and these really caught my eye (despite being a bit more offbeat than my usual style!):

jbc_mystery_shoe.jpg

They're "Joe Browns Couture Limited Edition "Mystery" Shoe Boots" and I got them from LindyBop :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

They're gorgeous Faith. So pretty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Penneys
    N35397177405741-large.jpg?d=1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Both from Oasis. I order in sterling and paid €94 including delivery.

Thinking the dress might be nice for my Christmas party.

464395.jpeg

464396.jpeg

I had a quick question. I have a black tie event coming up. I think cocktail length is fine for women but someone else here might know better? Maybe it’s expected to wear full length? It’s a work event so either way I need to find something appropriate which I’m struggling with. I don’t like to show skin, certainly not cleavage, at these kind of nights. I’m also only 5ft tall so don’t want to look swamped either if it does need to be full length. Lots of stuff I’m seeing online is either very Christmassy (this is on in early November) or also very bridesmaid-y, both of which I’m trying to avoid! This is the first year where the dress code is black tie so I’m kind of stumped!

Any help or recommendations would be much appreciated.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Generally black tie would indicate full length, however I think you can get away with below the knee/mid calf if it's formal enough. Try get something in a lux-looking fabric or with some embellishment maybe, sometimes plain, fitted midi dresses can look a bit "work" like. Asos is brilliant for occasion wear, and Mango has the odd gem.

Thanks Twee! I think full length might swamp me so I’ve gone for 2 midi length dresses from ASOS. Hopefully they arrive on time!

ASOS have money off if you spend x amount. I think I found a glitch in the matrix which might be useful anyone else!

In Ireland if you spend over €150 you get €30 off, spend €200 and get €50 off. In the UK if you spend over £125 you get £25 off, spend over £175 and get £40 I think..

I ordered in sterling but am having it delivered to Dublin and it wouldn’t let me use the UK codes. I chanced my arm with the Irish codes even though paying in sterling and they worked. I spent £150 but used the Irish code for €50 off and got £37 off. So it’s like you get the bigger money off amount even though when converted to euro you’re not spending enough to actually warrant that discount.

£113 in total (free delivery) for both dresses which is €127 instead of (£150) €168, Saving €41 Euro just from the discount code.

As well as that... On the Irish ASOS website when shopping in euro the black one is €110 and the greeny/blue one is €97... €207 in total. We are seriously ripped off when ordering euro... I saved €80 in total. Crazy. I was going to send one back but after getting a good bargain I’m very tempted to keep both!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Love them both! They'd be fab with hair up to really show off the detail.

I used one of those threshold codes over the summer for holiday bits and I made a huge savings, they're great if you've a few things to get. I might try your trick tomorrow, get some things from the wishlist!

Twee. wrote: »
    Love them both! They'd be fab with hair up to really show off the detail.

I used one of those threshold codes over the summer for holiday bits and I made a huge savings, they're great if you've a few things to get. I might try your trick tomorrow, get some things from the wishlist!

Yes agree, hair up will be a must!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Twee. wrote: »
    Generally black tie would indicate full length, however I think you can get away with below the knee/mid calf if it's formal enough. Try get something in a lux-looking fabric or with some embellishment maybe, sometimes plain, fitted midi dresses can look a bit "work" like. Asos is brilliant for occasion wear, and Mango has the odd gem.

I agree. I go to a few black tie events per year and I rarely wear full length. I’d get a very smart cocktail dress or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Embossy

Just purchased these Kapow Nightrider Meggings. They are very shiny and cling to the body like a second skin! http://https://kapowmeggings.co.uk/collections/metallic-meggings/products/nightrider-meggings

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Picked up a couple of bits in the Debenhams sale

pTIu0IH.png
    wA18fxU.png

Am I the only one thinking those trousers would give you a fierce bad dose of thrush if you wore them as the model is? :eek:

Closet London had a KILLER Black Friday advance sale for email subscribers - 200 items for £20 each! I got 6 dresses (narrowed down from the 12 shortlisted :D) and then got a further 20% discount so the whole thing only cost £96! Will post the pictures, but they haven't arrived yet so I'm not sure I'll keep them all, naturally.

d4011_dsc_9129.jpg

thumb.php?x=410&y=580&aspect=true&f=http%3a%2f%2fwww.closetlondon.com%2fmedia%2fcatalog%2fproduct%2fd%2f3%2fd3956_dsc_9191.jpg

thumb.php?x=410&y=580&aspect=true&f=http%3a%2f%2fwww.closetlondon.com%2fmedia%2fcatalog%2fproduct%2fd%2f3%2fd3787_dsc_5915.jpg

thumb.php?x=410&y=580&aspect=true&f=http%3a%2f%2fwww.closetlondon.com%2fmedia%2fcatalog%2fproduct%2fd%2f4%2fd4087_dsc_3158.jpg

thumb.php?x=410&y=580&aspect=true&f=http%3a%2f%2fwww.closetlondon.com%2fmedia%2fcatalog%2fproduct%2fj%2fd%2fjd4115_dsc_2199.jpg

thumb.php?x=410&y=580&aspect=true&f=http%3a%2f%2fwww.closetlondon.com%2fmedia%2fcatalog%2fproduct%2fd%2f4%2fd4276_2.jpg

(Yes, I have a clear and predictable style!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Faith wrote: »
    Closet London had a KILLER Black Friday advance sale for email subscribers - 200 items for £20 each! I got 6 dresses (narrowed down from the 12 shortlisted :D) and then got a further 20% discount so the whole thing only cost £96! Will post the pictures, but they haven't arrived yet so I'm not sure I'll keep them all, naturally.

(Yes, I have a clear and predictable style!)

Faith, those dresses are unreal - well wear :)

What is the sizing like for closet London? Their clothes look like great quality....
    How did you manage to get 20% off (if you don’t mind sharing of course :P )

I have a few things coming up over the next few months, that it would be great to have some nice clothes sorted

Am I the only one thinking those trousers would give you a fierce bad dose of thrush if you wore them as the model is? :eek:
    :D:D:D
    Those dresses are all stunning Faith, enjoy them.

Faith, those dresses are unreal - well wear :)

What is the sizing like for closet London? Their clothes look like great quality....
    How did you manage to get 20% off (if you don’t mind sharing of course :P )

I have a few things coming up over the next few months, that it would be great to have some nice clothes sorted

Thanks!

They do a thing called Closet Club. I think you need an account, but you accrue points from everything from visiting the site to making purchases. On your birthday, for example, you get 1000 points (that might depend on your ‘tier’). The points are valid for quite a long time and you can use different amounts for different discounts! I used 1000 points to redeem a 20% discount :)

In terms of sizing, I find them fairly true to size. I’m usually a 12 and I always buy a 12 from them. It can be a bit tight at the waist but that’s due to my weight fluctuating! (And I have a long torso so the waist usually hits my ribs more than my natural waist.) I have found lower necklines tend to be too tight for some odd reason - I’m fairly busty and I’ve had to send back a few skater dresses with a lower neckline, but wrap style dresses are fine. In terms of length, I’m 5’5 and none of the dresses swamp me. Many hit a little above or just on my knee.

I highly recommend Closet, and actually buy most of my clothes from there now. They are good quality and last well without fading or shrinking. I usually do a haul once or twice a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Thanks!

They do a thing called Closet Club. I think you need an account, but you accrue points from everything from visiting the site to making purchases. On your birthday, for example, you get 1000 points (that might depend on your ‘tier’). The points are valid for quite a long time and you can use different amounts for different discounts! I used 1000 points to redeem a 20% discount :)

In terms of sizing, I find them fairly true to size. I’m usually a 12 and I always buy a 12 from them. It can be a bit tight at the waist but that’s due to my weight fluctuating! (And I have a long torso so the waist usually hits my ribs more than my natural waist.) I have found lower necklines tend to be too tight for some odd reason - I’m fairly busty and I’ve had to send back a few skater dresses with a lower neckline, but wrap style dresses are fine. In terms of length, I’m 5’5 and none of the dresses swamp me. Many hit a little above or just on my knee.

I highly recommend Closet, and actually buy most of my clothes from there now. They are good quality and last well without fading or shrinking. I usually do a haul once or twice a year!

Thanks Faith :)

I'm the same dress size and height as you, so the sizing sounds perfect! :P

I love getting new clothes (even if my bank balance doesn't!) :D

• Advertisement

Damn you payday, laptop and wine. Just bought this

pale-pink-faux-fur-longline-coat.jpg?strip=true&qlt=80&w=720

• Registered Users Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Wow. I love your new dresses Faith they are awesome. You have great style. I am that size too so if you do decide to give one or two away like sell them :)

Ok I have to join this Closet London site and get into that club.

I bought some new white wedges yesterday in Korky's.

Can't find a pic of them online but they were reduced to 15 euro so I was happy.

They are simpler than these but the platform is the same. Mine just have a strap around the ankle and around the toes. They quite comfortable too so I am happy.

https://www.korkys.ie/ladies-platform-heels-dd6-wht

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Oh I should add: all of their dresses have pockets!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Oh I should add: all of their dresses have pockets!

Cracking me up!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I got a couple of things in the black Friday New Look sale today:

This navy sweatshirt was only €11
    navy-chevron-stripe-front-sweatshirt.jpg?strip=true&qlt=80&w=720

I also got a nice chunky oversized jumper reduced from €37 to €15. I can't find the item on their website though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

jos28 wrote: »
    Picked up a couple of bits in the Debenhams sale

wA18fxU.png

This went straight back, horrible on. It looked like I'd tucked my pyjamas into my jeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Has anyone ever had a dress from Virgos Lounge - what is the fit and quality like?

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Has anyone ever had a dress from Virgos Lounge - what is the fit and quality like?
    I bought one for a wedding a while back and found the sizing to be on the small side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I found the fit small, particularly around the waist.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement