Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roundabouts, am I missing something?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Are you for real? There must be a hell of a lot of PL registered BMWs driving badly in that area for you to make a statement like that.

As it has been stated here before, bad drivers in this country are made up of men , women, 1st provisional, 2nd provisional, 3rd provisional, fully licensed (of all categories) , young, old, native irish and every other possibility under the sun.

Please don't try to say that PL registered , or more specifically PL registered BMW drivers are the only drivers to whiz up the outside and cut people off on the Parkway roundabout in Limerick.
    I bet i know what you drive!:D ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Tauren wrote:
    I bet i know what you drive!:D ;):p

I don't :) Just pisses me off the way people say stuff like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Dyflin wrote:
    If there were two lanes he wouldn't have had to force his way past me...

It was the roundabout at the Graduate pub in ??? The exit was the road down to Sallynoggin.

Yeah, I know the one, don't live too far from it. It's an awful one for that kinda carry on, and the one down the other end (at the Deerhunter which has incidentally been knocked down ;) ) is just as bad. It has most of its exits on one side which makes things messy, and those wrong-lane-driving, no-indicator-using muppets quite often just dive in and dive out again - woe betide anyone who gets in their way, for they have the right of way bestowed on them by an unseen God...

Sorry, rant over:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The local muppets erm authorities could do a lot to help with clear, consistent road markings to show which lane one should be in for which turn with handy signs on the approach, but they seem to be an optional extra in most council areas.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

mike65 wrote:
    The local muppets erm authorities could do a lot to help with clear, consistent road markings to show which lane one should be in for which turn with handy signs on the approach, but they seem to be an optional extra in most council areas.

Absolutely! After driving through London a number of times, while it's not a pleasant experience by any means, I did find that the lanes for junctions and roundabouts are all clearly signposted, and far enough back that you can still get into the lane you wanna be in, not actually on the roundabout like here. Across the continent it seems to be the same, makes going round the roundabouts the wrong way that bit easier when you know well in advance the lane structure at the roundabout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

Road markings make no difference at all to some people, they ignore them.

The Talaght roundabout junction on the M50 is the prime example. Coming from Templeogue there are 3 lanes. The left lane is clearly signposted and painted on the lanes that it is ONLY for going onto the southbound lane of the M50, it also has a solid white line to make sure you know that. Still doesnt stop a lot of people going straight.

The middle lane follows aroundand after the M50 on ramp it becomesthe left of the 3 lanes on the roundabout. A lot of people dont like/agree with this so go around to a point and decide not to follow the bend but drive straight across into the middle lane.

The right lane splits and becomes the middle lane and the right lane for going northbound on the M50. These people for some reason seem fairly ok, except a few go into the right lane then come back across into the middle.

I find that this roundabout isvery well signposted and marked on the lanes. The lanes are clearly marked out aswell. People are stupid and/or ignorant.

I lose count of the people I see on a regular basis that are clearly doing things wrong for no other reason than because the cant/wont read the signs and road markings. Driving can be made much easier if you are aware of whats going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Are you for real? There must be a hell of a lot of PL registered BMWs driving badly in that area for you to make a statement like that.

As it has been stated here before, bad drivers in this country are made up of men , women, 1st provisional, 2nd provisional, 3rd provisional, fully licensed (of all categories) , young, old, native irish and every other possibility under the sun.

Please don't try to say that PL registered , or more specifically PL registered BMW drivers are the only drivers to whiz up the outside and cut people off on the Parkway roundabout in Limerick.

Wouldn't have said it if it wasn't true. Put a camera up and observe!!! Unless you have other first hand experience on this particular roundabout. I didn't say it's ONLY PL registered BMWs but just predominantly!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Leon11

fletch wrote:
    Oh and when you are coming from Liffey Valley heading towards the N4, both the 2nd and 3rd lane can be used to turn right. Confuses a lot of people.

the third lane is for people turning right to go down onto the n4 inbound. the second lane is for going right and then taking your first left onto the n4 outbound:D

But yes the powercity roundabout is ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

I'm used to people messing up on roundabouts and doing crazy stuff now, It got to the point where other drivers f***ing up didn't bother me, fact of life, nothing I can do about it except avoid them. However, over the last couple of months something new!!! It's really pissing me off.

People going straight through, taking the second exit. Indicating right on approach, passing the first exit, indicating left and then exiting. Single and dual lane roundabouts.

Why?!? Whats it all about? Stop doing it! It's wrong.

One of the driving schools out Swords direction is teaching this behaviour (not the one using Yaris's). Holy mother of god its annoying. I'd rather nobody signalled than this craziness.

Its equally annoying if I'm behind them or coming straight at them, waiting to join the roundabout. Single or dual carraigeway. Gah!

[/rant] lol

saobh_ie wrote:
    I'm used to people messing up on roundabouts and doing crazy stuff now, It got to the point where other drivers f***ing up didn't bother me, fact of life, nothing I can do about it except avoid them. However, over the last couple of months something new!!! It's really pissing me off.

People going straight through, taking the second exit. Indicating right on approach, passing the first exit, indicating left and then exiting. Single and dual lane roundabouts.

Why?!? Whats it all about? Stop doing it! It's wrong.

One of the driving schools out Swords direction is teaching this behaviour (not the one using Yaris's). Holy mother of god its annoying. I'd rather nobody signalled than this craziness.

Its equally annoying if I'm behind them or coming straight at them, waiting to join the roundabout. Single or dual carraigeway. Gah!

[/rant] lol

My granny does this:mad: :mad: :mad: I hate it totally confuses me, but I'm always wary of indicators

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,968 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

kbannon wrote:
    The roundabout over te M50 as you head outbound from Dublin city past the Beacon is one of the worst. Traffic wanting to come off at the '3-o-clock' exit (i.e. those wanting to head onto the M50 north) must keep in the right lane at the traffic lights. However, in doing so they are driving into a lane that tries to keep them on the roundabout and won't let them line up for the exit.
    Most roundabouts at M50 junctions are marked very poorly but this I feel is the worst.

I was in 1 crash (not my fault) and 1 near miss here due to the signage on this roundabout. Sent an e-mail to DLRCC and the NRA and heard nothing back from them, since then I just close me eyes and pray as I use this;)

OT but when are we getting our copies of the new ROTR? I think I seen somewhere that we are getting them in the Autumn, but would it not be better to send them out ASAP so these Threads can stop!! And hopefully we get some better drivers:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

somewhat on topic, what do the triangles mean on approach to roundabouts? Inverted, just before the line immediately preceding the roundabout? somewhat confused as to their meaning, just wanna know what the consensus is

Wossack wrote:
    somewhat on topic, what do the triangles mean on approach to roundabouts? Inverted, just before the line immediately preceding the roundabout? somewhat confused as to their meaning, just wanna know what the consensus is

Yield??? not a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Wossack wrote:

You're fúcking kidding right?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Oh god I think that demonstrates what we're dealing with here in Ireland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I really don't understand why in relation to roundabouts, the RSA can't make a short animated information advert showing how/when/where to indicate and how to exit at various exits. It's quite obvious from the way people go on that there is a lot of confusion and/or ignorance of what to do at roundabouts.

This is the kind of thing I mean, but less wordy. More visuals.
    http://www.2pass.co.uk/roundabout.htm

Dr. Loon wrote:
    You're fúcking kidding right?!?!

Nope. Just heard a fair bit of conflicting information (with what I was confident they meant) and was looking for clarification.

Thanks for your input, +1 for you!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Del2005 wrote:
    I was in 1 crash (not my fault) and 1 near miss here due to the signage on this roundabout. Sent an e-mail to DLRCC and the NRA and heard nothing back from them, since then I just close me eyes and pray as I use this;)
    Keep pursuing it! Maybe a letter is better than an email anyhow.
    Del2005 wrote:
    OT but when are we getting our copies of the new ROTR? I think I seen somewhere that we are getting them in the Autumn, but would it not be better to send them out ASAP so these Threads can stop!! And hopefully we get some better drivers:eek:
    It will be Autumn. However, I suspect the majority will glance at it and then throw it in the recycle bin and the crap use of the roads (by all road users) will continue!
    Wossack wrote:
    Nope. Just heard a fair bit of conflicting information (with what I was confident they meant) and was looking for clarification.
    Well in fairness asking the question with a little more clarity would have avoided an obvious shock to anyone who read your post.
    What is the conflicting info?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yes i had this rant months ago about roundabouts... Seriously.. everyon in this country should be forced to get a new driving license when the credit card sized one comes out.. but to get one they must go to their local tax office or whatever and sit through driver training videos, especially on roundabouts!!!
    And it should be necessary when getting your provisional too.. that would cover every drive in the country except foreign drivers.

kbannon wrote:

Well in fairness asking the question with a little more clarity would have avoided an obvious shock to anyone who read your post.
    What is the conflicting info?

ah, I think I know what the prob is... not the 'Yield' signposts, but rather the painted inverted triangles on the road (twas late last night). And, to try and at least reduce the hostility to myself I'll keep what I think they mean to myself for the time being.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

They means yield also...
    Scroll down.. http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/regulatory-signs.html
    TK

NeMiSiS wrote:
    They means yield also...
    Scroll down.. http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/regulatory-signs.html
    TK

ah perfect - a bit more concrete anyway! thanks for the link nemisis

saobh_ie wrote:
    I'm used to people messing up on roundabouts and doing crazy stuff now, It got to the point where other drivers f***ing up didn't bother me, fact of life, nothing I can do about it except avoid them.

Couldn't agree more. I'm a biker and a car driver and I approach roundabouts expecting the worse of other drivers, after a good amount of near misses. The most deadly behaviour for me is when I am the bike and a car enters a 2 lane (both entry and exit) roundabout, goes straight through and then goes to exit on the left lane.

It used to annoy me no end but after a while I just gave up on the rest of the driving public (apart from all here, of course!). It shouldn't be this way but you cannot trust people at roundabouts because they cannot signal correctly and they cannot move through one correctly. You might beep at them but they will just think that your an eejit.

It would help if they produced a few simple ads. All we need is "If you are turning left, do this..." and a nice little graphic or video. I think that someone earlier in the thread was talking about marking these bad drivers. Learners have L plates, so maybe if you are caught abusing roundabouts you should get S(tupid) plates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Celtic67

hermit wrote:
    Yeah and don't even get me started on people not using their indicators when entering & exiting a roundabout or using them improperly. That drives me nuts altogether. And there is no label you can stick to people who do this (i.e. its not just males, not just females, not just yound drivers, not just mature drivers) its 80% of the population as far as I can see...

Really drives me bananas and nuts...

*Rant well and truely over now*

This drives me nuts also, it would save so much time if people actually indicated which way they were going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

I hate that too.

Also, why can't the NRA, councils etc put up simple signs on the side of the road to state which lane is going where on the approach to junctions, instead of painting them on the road where they will be covered by traffic. The Nangor Road is one particular example I can think of where the lane to go straight ahead is forever changing without any prior indication.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

Suffice to say that anybody approaching THIS particular roundabout would sh*t themselves no matter how experienced they may be! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

mcauley wrote:
    Suffice to say that anybody approaching THIS particular roundabout would sh*t themselves no matter how experienced they may be! :eek:
    they seem to have made that needlessly complicated. why not just have a normal roundabout? I don't get why they felt the need to plonk loads of little ones inside it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

NeMiSiS wrote:
    The roundabout at Powercity in Lucan indicates.. both lanes for staright on if you are heading towards Liffey Valley.. which leads to some very interesting situations.. very interesting indeed !
    TK

On Monday I had a different experience on the exact same roundabout.
    Heading down Fonthill Road, from the Clondalkin side.
    I was in the right hand lane to turn right... so far so good.

A black driver is was in the left lane.
    He is half a car length ahead of me, and proceeds to encroach on the inside lane of the roundabout... then he turned right without any indicators.
    At this stage, I'm a motoring racist... soooo many incidents with black drivers, men and women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

This crap really pisses me off!

I was in the same situation as the OP, except I exited the roundabout ahead of the other driver. Cue lots of beeping and light flashing. He seemed so worked up I thought he would ring the Gardaí. Was hoping he would actually, so he would end up looking like a complete twat. This was a standard 4 exit roundabout near my house, nothing fancy.

What annoys me that a lot of these people think they're right and get into a fit of road rage over it! My tactic is to obey the rules of the road regarding roundabouts, so if a collision happens at least I will be in the right.

And most of these people have been driving for years! My father is 53 and is hopeless on roundabouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

My tactic is to obey the rules of the road regarding roundabouts, so if a collision happens at least I will be in the right.

I'd be careful. Often times the approach to roundabout collisions is to split the liability between the two parties.

Advertisement