Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roundabouts, am I missing something?

Options
  • 16-05-2007 11:02am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I had a run in (almost literally) with this car this morning when he decided to take the right hand lane to go straight through the roundabout.

edit: pic removed (without posters knowlege)!

AFAIK the new Rules of the Road preclude divers from using this lane unless "the left-hand lane is only for turning left or is blocked or closed, or when directed by a Garda"?

Once we both exited the roundabout on the same road he tried to run me off the road by asserting his god given right to be in front of me at all times by force. :rolleyes:

Am I missing something, is the roundabout rule optional or something?:confused:

EDIT, photo taken when car was stopped at traffic lights (hint, see the brake lights?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

no, u are missing nothing. this always happens to me also. i am sick of it. do people not know how to use roundabouts in the country. it drives me mad. laft hand lane for left turn and straight through, right hand land for right turn and turn back. garda should start taking action on this. wonder if anyone ever hand an accident like this and what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If there are two lanes exiting on the other side, then he's allowed use the right-hand lane to go straight through. If there's only one lane exiting, then he has to use the left-hand lane only. The rules of the road don't make this clear at all though, they give the impression that you can use the right-hand lane any time you like.

round2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭fletch

Was it a two lane roundabout? Was there two lanes on the entry and exit? Was there any road-markings indicating that he could in fact use the right lane? Which roundabout in particular did it happen at?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Stark wrote:
    If there are two lanes exiting on the other side, then he's allowed use the right-hand lane to go straight through. If there's only one lane exiting, then he has to use the left-hand lane only. The rules of the road don't make this clear at all though, they give the impression that you can use the right-hand lane any time you like.
    Also if there are road markings indicating which lane is which, not that anyone here seems to take any notice of those either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

When you say straigh through, is there more than 1 exit before the straigh through exit?
    Best thing to do in future is to put your phone down and concentrate on your own driving. Let the idiots pass and have their accidents with someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Iompair

From what I remember of the old rules, if there was 2 lanes on the road you exited on, then the other driver was entitled to use the inside lane.

If not he was another example of the terrible drivers loose on irish roads.

Maybe the new rules have a different interpretation of how to use roundabouts though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hermit

Yeah and don't even get me started on people not using their indicators when entering & exiting a roundabout or using them improperly. That drives me nuts altogether. And there is no label you can stick to people who do this (i.e. its not just males, not just females, not just yound drivers, not just mature drivers) its 80% of the population as far as I can see...

Really drives me bananas and nuts...

*Rant well and truely over now*

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If there were two lanes he wouldn't have had to force his way past me...

It was the roundabout at the Graduate pub in ??? The exit was the road down to Sallynoggin.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

i presume it was two lanes on the entry and one lane on the exit, alot of roundabouts seem to have this sort of set up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Where was the roundabout?
    TK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If it were my car (which it isn't) I wouldn't be too happy about you posting my number plate on the picture or taking a picture of my car while in control of a vehicle and then complaining about me. Regardless if you were stopped at traffic lights I'd guess that a Garda would be more interested in your camera/phone antics that the other drivers lane usage.

Lane specific road markings can become quite pointless in heavy traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Alun wrote:
    Also if there are road markings indicating which lane is which, not that anyone here seems to take any notice of those either.

I hear that one. The Parkway roundabout in Limeick is right hand for straight through and right, left hand for the shopping centre which is technically "straight ahead" and a slip lane for left.

Loads of people, particularly people in PL registered BMWs just whiz up the outside and cut people off. It's one disaster of a signage system because there's normally cars parked on the road markings in the evening waiting for traffic to move

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

hermit wrote:
    Yeah and don't even get me started on people not using their indicators when entering & exiting a roundabout or using them improperly. That drives me nuts altogether.
    What will an indicator tell you? Just that their bulbs work! People in this country cannot indicate so I wouldn't pay too much heed to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

The roundabout at Powercity in Lucan indicates.. both lanes for staright on if you are heading towards Liffey Valley.. which leads to some very interesting situations.. very interesting indeed !
    TK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

Dyflin wrote:
    If there were two lanes he wouldn't have had to force his way past me...

It was the roundabout at the Graduate pub in ??? The exit was the road down to Sallynoggin.

Yeah that must be the Worst roundabout for it,drives me fecking MAD,then they do it again at the next roundabout at the Deerhunter:eek: muppets!!

Oh and when you are coming from Liffey Valley heading towards the N4, both the 2nd and 3rd lane can be used to turn right. Confuses a lot of people.

mondeoman wrote:
    Yeah that must be the Worst roundabout for it,drives me fecking MAD,then they do it again at the next roundabout at the Deerhunter:eek: muppets!!
    Do you mean the Foxhunter? Never heard of the Deerhunter

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

fletch wrote:
    Do you mean the Foxhunter? Never heard of the Deerhunter

No he is right with the Deerhunter in Glenageary (according to Google)

Dyflin wrote:
    No he is right with the Deerhunter in Glenageary (according to Google)
    ah right...sorry about that :)

The roundabout over te M50 as you head outbound from Dublin city past the Beacon is one of the worst. Traffic wanting to come off at the '3-o-clock' exit (i.e. those wanting to head onto the M50 north) must keep in the right lane at the traffic lights. However, in doing so they are driving into a lane that tries to keep them on the roundabout and won't let them line up for the exit.
    Most roundabouts at M50 junctions are marked very poorly but this I feel is the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The problem with most roundabouts is that you cant actually see passed the roundabout due to statues, signs, flowers, etc in the middle of them. This means that until you actually get around the roundabout you dont know how many lanes there actually are! Obviously, the wisest choice is the left lane! But in fairness, alot of roundabouts have the merge arrows as if on a beginning of a second lane off a roundabout.

Unfortunatley, most people dont even know how to stay in lane going around a roundabout, and this is where indicators help! Nearly lost the side of my car a few times from people staying in the right hand land and then all of a sudden cutting left. Recently, in blanch there was someone on the right lane taking the first exit!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭dubred

kbannon wrote:
    The roundabout over te M50 as you head outbound from Dublin city past the Beacon is one of the worst. Traffic wanting to come off at the '3-o-clock' exit (i.e. those wanting to head onto the M50 north) must keep in the right lane at the traffic lights. However, in doing so they are driving into a lane that tries to keep them on the roundabout and won't let them line up for the exit.
    Most roundabouts at M50 junctions are marked very poorly but this I feel is the worst.

I have just started using this in the last week, I thought i was going to be stuck going around it the first time. The second time I took the second lane from the right on the approach and as I went onto the roundabout a car from my right exited at the second exit (crossing 3 lanes in front of me :eek: ).

I was considering emailing DLRCC about this, as I think the road markings are completely inappropriate.

@kbannon, out of curiosity, what lane do you take?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

ninty9er wrote:
    I hear that one. The Parkway roundabout in Limeick is right hand for straight through and right, left hand for the shopping centre which is technically "straight ahead" and a slip lane for left.

Loads of people, particularly people in PL registered BMWs just whiz up the outside and cut people off. It's one disaster of a signage system because there's normally cars parked on the road markings in the evening waiting for traffic to move
    If you actually look a the Parkway roundabout layout, the exit you are referring to, going towards the city centre is actually a right hand turn if you are coming from Castletroy, in that it is slightly over the 180 degrees necessary for going straight, so the right lane should be used in any case. At least I am pretty sure. But its true, so many people using the left lane to get onto the city centre road, and never a cop around to stop them. Its dangerous. The P'way roundabout is one of the worst in Limerick for people totally ignoring all roundabout rules. They stop in the yellow hatching, dont indicate, pull out in front of you and use whichever lane they want. Cant ****ing stand driving on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I had a guy do this to me a couple of weeks ago on the big roundabout between the spawell (and judes for anyone on the boards team:) ) and Perrystown(I think it the wellington roundabout? anyone familiar with the area will know the one, its the huge roundaboutthat leads to the spawell.

I was coming up from the Walkinstown direction, the road splits to 2 lanes for entering the roundabout so as usuall , cos i was going straight I went into the left lane. Theres 1 lane coming off going towards the spawell/Judes but the guy in front went into the right lane then tried to go straight and proceed to make faces and shake his head at me because I went straight from the left lane. The worrying thing is that these tools think they are right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

In theory you should be outside lane for the second exit for the third or more exits you should be on the inside unless there are road markings to direct you.

The Parkway Shopping Centre is not part of a public road so is not counted as a proper exit bearing that in mind the Dublin Road is the second exit.

It is a dangerous roundabout and need more thought into it I have seen some pedestrians nearly killed on the zebra crossing alot of people do not know its there as well.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The number of exits tends not to dictate which lane you are in. Particularly in ireland where we have a number of uniquely shaped roundabouts. Just because an exit is a 2nd exit, it still could be a right hand exit and you would still have to get into the right lane unless road signs indicated otherwise. if there is no road signage, the number of degrees in terms of angle that the lane you are exitting is on from the lane you are entering should determine which lane that you access in order to correctly traverse the roundabout. If the exit you are taking is above 180 degrees you should under normal circumstances be in the right lane. The ambivolence about this which was present in the old Rules of the Road has apparently been removed to indicate more clearly on the new rules of the road.

dubred wrote:
    I have just started using this in the last week, I thought i was going to be stuck going around it the first time. The second time I took the second lane from the right on the approach and as I went onto the roundabout a car from my right exited at the second exit (crossing 3 lanes in front of me :eek: ).

I was considering emailing DLRCC about this, as I think the road markings are completely inappropriate.

@kbannon, out of curiosity, what lane do you take?
    I would try and get into the rightmost lane as I approach the roundabout and then somehow get into the centre lane when on the roundabout. It actually tends to be quicker than following the line of traffic that builds up in the centre lane approaching the roundabout. once in the center lane you should watch the lightsjust before your exit - it can often help if you then move into the left lane as you approach them.
    The other problem with this roundabout is the traffic signals - more often than not you have to stop before entering the roundabout and twice on the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The Blanchardstown roundabout just before the main M50/N3 roundabout as you come from Clonee is like that as well. All 3 lanes allow traffic straight through to the M50 roundabout, but if you want to take the 3rd exit it's a pain in the neck. First time I tried it, I ended up going all the way round the roundabout. Second time, I approached from the second lane and ended up cutting off traffic going straight through from the third lane. Found the approach I have to take is to swing into the middle lane just after the second exit, but that can be awkward when the roundabout is busy as there's only space for 2 or 3 cars to do this with the roundabout lights. It ends up being the case that traffic going straight through has to weave it's way round the backlog of cars waiting to take the 3rd exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

One thing I have seen over the past few days (about 4 times) is someone ni the left lane on a two-lane r'bout going all the way around to the right - carving up people in the second lane wanting to go straight.

Very scary. No indicating either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

ninty9er wrote:
    Loads of people, particularly people in PL registered BMWs just whiz up the outside and cut people off.

Are you for real? There must be a hell of a lot of PL registered BMWs driving badly in that area for you to make a statement like that.

As it has been stated here before, bad drivers in this country are made up of men , women, 1st provisional, 2nd provisional, 3rd provisional, fully licensed (of all categories) , young, old, native irish and every other possibility under the sun.

Please don't try to say that PL registered , or more specifically PL registered BMW drivers are the only drivers to whiz up the outside and cut people off on the Parkway roundabout in Limerick.

Advertisement