Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Macroom Thread

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

its penns,it'll still be sh!te no matter what they do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

its penns,it'll still be sh!te no matter what they do

Hmm, penns or riadas, an appetising choice me thinks!!!
    About the cost of entry on say a saturday night, i think this is it

Before 11: Free
    11-12.30: 5e
    After 12.30: 10e FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Hmm, penns or riadas, an appetising choice me thinks!!!
    About the cost of entry on say a saturday night, i think this is it

Before 11: Free
    11-12.30: 5e
    After 12.30: 10e FFS

Anyone who pays 10 euros in to that place needs their head checked :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tomloo

Well, it is a New Year and March is just around the corner. The members, families and friends of the Woodand String Band from Philadelphia will be heading over on 14March to 22March. We will be 165 strong in the group and a band of 25 members. Make sure you are in Macroom for the Parade on St. Patrick's Day !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭corkarcher

I'm afraid Old Joe is dead now (RIP), my goodness where have you been for the last 9 years?

• Advertisement

I heard that the Riverside Park Hotel has shuttered thier doors. What happended. Bad managent, poor business, economics ??

Shame, it was a nice place and the food was good in the pub also.

tomloo wrote: »
    I heard that the Riverside Park Hotel has shuttered thier doors. What happended. Bad managent, poor business, economics ??

From reading the recent Lee Valley Outlook the general reason was the economy and it not getting much business. Macroom is a pretty quiet place for tourists over the winter. However, it hasn't ruled out re-opening once the busier summer season starts so hopefully it will re-open sometime.

But yes, you are right, the food in there is actually pretty good, they do a mean chicken sizzler :p

Such a shame. With our group of 165 coming over in March we were looking forward to having quite a few stay there as well as using the function room a couple of times. My family and I always enjoyed the food as well. I hope things get better and they do re-open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭skaterdude

Its opening up again in march
    You have to ring the anor hotel to book functions for it in march the number is 050421799

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

2 things:

1 - oh my God, there's a Paddy's Day parade in Macroom - what time? I'll need to be able to get out of town that day........

2 - I want to get some slabbing for the side of my house - anyone got any tips as to where's the best place to get them in the vicinity?

• Advertisement

cjmcork wrote: »
    2 things:

1 - oh my God, there's a Paddy's Day parade in Macroom - what time? I'll need to be able to get out of town that day........

2 - I want to get some slabbing for the side of my house - anyone got any tips as to where's the best place to get them in the vicinity?

1. There's a Paddy's Day parade there every year :D Don't worry, there are plenty of back roads to get around the parade, not sure what time it's on though. Check www.macroom.ie maybe.

2. I went looking for slabs in Macroom but found it cheaper to get them outside of the town. There is a place on the back road around Macroom....go up the road by O Riadas, take a right at the Fishermans pub (think that's what it's called) and there is a place on the left about 1.5 km up that road. Found him very expensive to be honest with not much choice. I would go to somewhere like John A Woods in Ballincollig or B&Q in Cork. 4Home in Macroom might sell some now too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

How do people rate the Indian Restauraunt ? I don't recall the name . The one over "Fitzies" by the bus station .....

Spinnaker wrote: »
    How do people rate the Indian Restauraunt ? I don't recall the name . The one over "Fitzies" by the bus station .....

I would say that it's only average to be honest. I've had a take away out of there twice I think and it was nice enough I suppose, nothing too special. The chinese across from Movieland (think that's what it's called) is much nicer if you're looking for something asian.

Two meals and not great eh ? I'm fussy about Indian food. Has to be good quality with the best of fresh food etc. Then it's great.

I agree. That Chinese is good for takeaway or a meal as Chinese places go. Good fresh ingredients. No gooopy stodgy sauces.

Broadband has finally come to West Macroom lads...

Eircom and BT are both offering their services, have met both sales people and BT are cheaper. PM me if you want the number of the BT sales person that called, he said he is in the area all week.

Well, the members, families and friends of the Woodland String Band from Philadelphia had another WONDERFUL stay in Macroom over the Patrick's week. I enjoyed dinner at Grandville's three times. WOW, is their food great. Had the fillet steak, salmon and lamb. Best meals in town. Also ate at the Castle Hotel several times. Very good food there as well. Fitie's chipper still has the best chicken burger and spicey wedges around. Looking forward to March 2010. Thanks to all of the great people of Macroom for being so accommodating to us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Broadband has finally come to West Macroom lads...

Eircom and BT are both offering their services, have met both sales people and BT are cheaper. PM me if you want the number of the BT sales person that called, he said he is in the area all week.

Delighted for you trotter. We moved away almost 2 years ago, very frustrating waiting for b/band. I thought it was at least within 6 months when we left!

mind you, we're in the country now (different province) and mobile b/band is working well, did you try it? Interested to know if I'd be still pulling my hair out if i was still in Macroom.........

I enjoyed dinner at Grandville's three times. WOW, is their food great. Had the fillet steak, salmon and lamb.

You'll have to come back to try the Seafood Crumble :)

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    I thought it was at least within 6 months when we left!

Eircom have been telling me that for years...pain in the ass!
    Dr. Nick wrote: »
    mobile b/band is working well, did you try it? Interested to know if I'd be still pulling my hair out if i was still in Macroom.........

Yeah, we've been with 3 Mobile Broadband for the past year, my wife uses during the day but I can't be bothered with it...it's far too slow and completely unpredictable...I will be taking a hammer to it with great pleasure next week :D

@tomloo...your bands and people added a lot of colour and laughter around Macroom over "Paddy's" weekend.

Keep coming back... beidh cead mile failte romhaimh go deo...

• Advertisement

We are already working on the 2010 St. Patrick's week trip back to Macroom. Some of us wouldn't miss it for the world. A big thank you to the Town Council, Lee Valley Enterprise Board, St. Patrick's Day Committee, the Castle Hotel, Lee Valley Hotel, the B&B owners and of course the GREAT PEOPLE of Macroom for making this annual trip feel like we are coming home each and every year.
    Tom Loomis
    Woodland String Band
    Philadlephia, PA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Here are 2 pics i took of ye guys in macroom, not very good ones i'm afraid as it was at the end of the parade when i realised i had my camera....

Thanks for posting the pics. Any photo is a good photo !!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

I actually met a girl that was over with ye guys outside o riada's on the sat nigh tbefore paddy's....i was kinda drunk and might have told her i loved her...Cant remember her name though..

Advertisement