Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Macroom Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I am a member of a pipe band. We are coming over with the Woodland String Band. We're coming over to play in the St. Pat's parade.

There are a few of us who are heading up to Dublin for a few days (12th - 15th). Supposed to be a ceili on the 15th at the Riverside Park Hotel...

So what is the deal with the night club? Not that I care about going...just wondering.

Maybe we'll meet up for a pint or 10!

Ah cool! I used to be in marching band myself...

The night club (imo) is fairly rough and the music is terrible...Penns would be a much better bet for you alright...

You should like Dublin and have a great time up there I hope, there is always a great atmosphere up there around Patrick's weekend, loads and loads of pubs with traditional music on around that time. Check out the "Events" section under http://www.stpatricksday.ie/cms/home.html

Femmy wrote: »
    Goldens is a nice small pub, right across from castle. i usually go there or to TP's (cotters) when in macroom, thats just down the street from the castle too.
    Enjoy your stay!!

I think we have the same taste in pubs, we usually go to Goldens and across to TP's then too :)

Firefighter, you should like Goldens, its a little "different" to most pubs :) From the outside (and inside) you could easily be fooled in to thinking that its an antique shop, but on closer inspection you'll find that it's a pub :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Granvilles, The Gearagh, TP's, Dineens & Gerrards & then Penns would be the route I take when friends call over on a Sat night. I always give The Greyhound a wide berth as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 firefighter75

According to the Ittinerary, the string band will be doing a jam sessions at Granville's the evening of the 11th, the Auld Triangle on the 12th and Cotter's on the 14th.

I'm not sure if we will be playing with the string band those nights.

Both bands are in concert at the Briery Gap on the 17th at 8:30 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Yeah 9 days is alot of time in macroom alright.
    If I were you i would definately avoid o riadas, it is full of youngsters..i stopped going there when i was around 24

The memories! I did the O'Riada's thing between 18-20. (wow, that's over 10 years ago now). It really was a dive - and I'm sure that it hasn't improved one iota since then.

Everytime I pass through Macroom on my way home, it's changed. New shops, hotels getting facelifts etc. Still doesn't change the fact that nothing would make me live there (much to the chagrin of my parents who'd like very much to see me come home).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭skaterdude

What do ye think of the riversidepark hotel?
    good drink/food bad drink/food?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Some beautiful girls in Macroom.

Most of them pushing prams at an early age unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

skaterdude wrote: »

Always wondered about that hotel as well.

skaterdude wrote: »

I like their food actually, they do a great chicken sizzler!

Never been there for drinks at night time tho.

Was in the new 'Nights' restaurant in the Auld Triangle on Sat night, was very nice, decor is really good...still prefer Granvilles food tho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Jools 64

I moved to Macroom last year with my husband and four sons. Three of them attend NS in the town and love it, especially as two of them will be moving to the newly built school in September.

I work full time and it is quite difficult to meet new people, although you always get to know other parents!

We like the town and we are happy about moving here, we can see the potential it has, and the by-pass will make such a difference to the bottleneck that makes me late for work :rolleyes:

If only I could afford to buy a house....rents are ridiculous!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I like their food actually, they do a great chicken sizzler!

Never been there for drinks at night time tho.

Was in the new 'Nights' restaurant in the Auld Triangle on Sat night, was very nice, decor is really good...still prefer Granvilles food tho...

Was in there on a GAA social there last year and the food really was an absolute disgrace.Totally horrible.Maybe that was just because of the massive numbers but i dont think that place has got that many visitors from my area since
    If i were you jools 64, i wouldnt hold my breath on that bypass.Would be a tough job because of the hills on both sides of the town

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Jools 64 wrote: »
    We like the town and we are happy about moving here, we can see the potential it has, and the by-pass will make such a difference to the bottleneck that makes me late for work :rolleyes:!:eek:

Please Please tell me that Macroom is going to be bypassed. I travel from Tralee to Cork on a regular basis, and this hell hole wrecks my head.
    I'm sure this will get some reply !!!!!!!!!!

dh0661 wrote: »
    Please Please tell me that Macroom is going to be bypassed. I travel from Tralee to Cork on a regular basis, and this hell hole wrecks my head.
    I'm sure this will get some reply !!!!!!!!!!

Most people I have talked to say that it will be a very long time before work on the bypass even starts, mainly because of planning.

It was halted last year because a rare type of slug (yep a slug!!) was found on the proposed routes.

At least you don't have to pass through the town everyday like us locals though :)

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Was in there on a GAA social there last year and the food really was an absolute disgrace.Totally horrible.Maybe that was just because of the massive numbers but i dont think that place has got that many visitors from my area since
    If i were you jools 64, i wouldnt hold my breath on that bypass.Would be a tough job because of the hills on both sides of the town

Give the bar food a try, Im sure the quality would be much better than your dinner dance but I can see why you wouldnt be happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Yeah i've heard the same about a Local GAA dinner there (riverside park) , they said never again, infact i think they didnt pay.
    I saw that "nights" place alright in the auld triange, is it there long? i didnt know it was a restaurant, i thought it was like a late bar or something..
    Still have to go to granvilles! Is it mainly steaks they do..how do the steaks compare to the thady anyone know?

Yeah i've heard the same about a Local GAA dinner there (riverside park) , they said never again, infact i think they didnt pay.
    I saw that "nights" place alright in the auld triange, is it there long? i didnt know it was a restaurant, i thought it was like a late bar or something..
    Still have to go to granvilles! Is it mainly steaks they do..how do the steaks compare to the thady anyone know?

Nights is a new restaurant which is owned by the Auld Triangle. I ate there on the opening night about 4 weeks ago, decor is great, good range of food on the menu, food very tasty but a little pricey, service could be improved but it was the opening night, staff are all lovely though, most of them used to serve in the bar.

Myself, I much prefer Granvilles because of the amount seafood choices on their menu, but they also do steaks of course. The Nights atmosphere is more sophisticated and is a dedicated restaurant. Most people I have talked to prefer Nights over Granvilles but I'd definitely recommend visiting both and deciding for yourself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tomloo

Macroom is one of my favorite places to visit. We have made 10 trips there in the past nine years. Nine of those trips has been with the Woodland String Band from Philadelphia for the annual St. Patrick's Week celebration. Next March will be our tenth trip there and I can't wait for it to get here !!

The town comes to life with parties, jam sessions and activity and we are treated to some good old Irish hospitality and home coming when we are there. The parade on St. Patrick's Day is a great FAMILY DAY and is followed by bands in the square and fireworks later that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Nights is a new restaurant which is owned by the Auld Triangle. I ate there on the opening night about 4 weeks ago, decor is great, good range of food on the menu, food very tasty but a little pricey, service could be improved but it was the opening night, staff are all lovely though, most of them used to serve in the bar.

Must give it a shot................ Tomloo glad you enjoyed..... Next time give me a bell & we will do some shooting.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 timodsi

I think the riverside was only open a few weeks when that dinner happened been there a few times now even at a funtion and I found the food very good.

Looking forward to going to "nights" some time soon. Have tried Granvilles a few times as well I always find it fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dmj.galvin123@y

Anyone here from Macroom. Any news/interesting things to do? Place your ranom thoughts here.

Anyone been to the 'revamped' Lynch's Lodge (can't remember it's new name)?

Have been out of the place for 9 years.
    New Bar menu is extensive and good value for money. 12oz steak with all the trimmings is a steal at Eu19. Had roast beef on Monday on my way to killarney...generous portions and very tender. Veg were firm and not overcooked with a light cheese sauce...couldn't have dessert...I was too full.

• Advertisement

Was in Granvilles last night, Lamb wrapped in filo pastry for starter, then brill with a lemon and prawn sauce. Lamb was absolutely gorgeous, definitely getting it again.

Place was quite busy for a Thurs night, is nice to see the place getting business, owners are very nice.

Found a new pub in the square last night too :) The pub that the owners of Granvilles used to run in the square (think it was called Murphys) has been taken over by a guy who used to run another pub in the town.

Place is very nice, open fire, good music and nice comfortable seats, mixed crowd in there, will be going back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pintofstout

Yeah that would be uí chróinín or croneens as the locals call it, is a brother and sister who are running it, there was an old croneens across the road from it which was a bit of a Macroom institution in the late 90s and now its back and and no harm at all, bout time to see a new bar opening in the town. I havent been in there since Paddys night which was MENTAL there, best night ever:)!!!...we were literally hanging from the chandeliers

bout time to see a new bar opening in the town.

Bloody right, well overdue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 macroomexile

Have been there 3 times now and can't wait to go back. It really does rival the best of cork restaurants. Amuse Bouche is a lovely touch and really sets the tone for the culinary delights ahead. Their Duck confit is on a par with Le Basilic in Paris my fav restaurant in my fav city. would definately reccomend it for the food and the decor is amazing....one of the nicest dining rooms i've come accross in munster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

hi - i'm buying a house in the hermitage, was wondering about noise transferrance between houses - can anyone tell me about it?

Have been there 3 times now and can't wait to go back. It really does rival the best of cork restaurants. Amuse Bouche is a lovely touch and really sets the tone for the culinary delights ahead. Their Duck confit is on a par with Le Basilic in Paris my fav restaurant in my fav city. would definately reccomend it for the food and the decor is amazing....one of the nicest dining rooms i've come accross in munster

The food and decor is nice alright, but the service is terrible. Dec (the manager) is excellent, but the rest of the waiters/waitresses are school/college students are not good, the couple of nights we were there the service was terrible. Our wine came was just landed on the table, the waiter didnt ask if we wanted to taste and he didnt even pour it. We had to wait 30 minutes after our main course before our plates were cleared, I had to ask for a dessert menu, I had to ask for coffee and had to wait 20 minutes after asking for my bill before I got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sinnerboy99

yeah ive been to nights a few times myself. the first couple of times we went i noticed the same thing, food fantastic but service fairly poor. a lot of the young waiting staff looked kinda like they didnt know what they were doing.. and a bit nervous or something? but i went again last weekend with a few friends and i have to say things have really improved. they dont seem to have any of the really young staff in there anymore and things felt a lot more professional. i actually didnt recognise some of the staff there this time, so maybe thy ve got new people in or something? we were really well looked after anyway and had a great evening. id say we spent four hours in there drinking and chatting over dinner! good times! my idea of a night out, im not a real pub/ club person to be honest. :)

but i went again last weekend with a few friends and i have to say things have really improved. they dont seem to have any of the really young staff in there anymore and things felt a lot more professional.

That's good to hear! Will have to go back this weekend so :) I've nothing against young people working in there or anything like that, it's like you said: they just don't seem to know what they're doing! Maybe it's the managements fault for not training them properly and throwing them in at the deep end. Ah well, not to worry, looking forward to giving it another go. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

So whats the deal with the revamp of penns lads?? I hope it'll still be free before 12 o clock!!Will the bar and "nightclub" be separate or what??

Advertisement