Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Macroom Thread

Options
  • 14-05-2007 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭

Anyone here from Macroom. Any news/interesting things to do? Place your ranom thoughts here.

Anyone been to the 'revamped' Lynch's Lodge (can't remember it's new name)?

Have been out of the place for 9 years.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

its the riverview or riverside park hotel or something like that.
    i was there for the opening but that was it.apparntly the food isnt great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Thats a pity, maby they will have good acts on during the summer like Joe Dolan (yes i'm serious!). There's never much to do around there at weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 timodsi

Was there recently food was great the steak was huge and cost €17.95 not bad id say

Were any of you at the new Dunnes in Fitzgerald Sqaure on Friday? What was your impressions of it? I expected it to be bigger and to have a larger variety of merchandise.

I thought it Ok to be honest it saves having to go to Bishopstown I don't find the one in Ballincollig to be that good

• Advertisement

I thought it Ok to be honest it saves having to go to Bishopstown I don't find the one in Ballincollig to be that good

I'd have to agree, the one in Ballincollig dosen't have a great selection, i liked Bishopstown though as they seemed to have things there that you could not get in Dunnes in Cork City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Has anyone gone into Granvilles yet?

Very impressive and I hear the food is, as always, excellent.

TJ911...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 madser77

alright lads,

just wondering if anyone can let me know any nice places to eat in Macroom?

Granvilles sounds promising, is there anywhere else worth checking out?

madser77 wrote:
    just wondering if anyone can let me know any nice places to eat in Macroom?

My first coice would be Granvilles or you could try The Castle Hotel or The Lee Valley Hotel (Penns). All venues within three walking mins of each other. There are two Chinese restaurants and a number of good Cafés in the town as well.

Granvilles is through the town, down the hill on the left before the bridge if you are heading towards Killarney...

Hope that helps....

TJ911...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 madser77

much obliged TJ

Buns n stuff is nice, they do a lovely tea selection in the next door cafe (Castle Hotle). Haven't checked out granvilles since it was changed from 'Dons'. I find Penns grand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

Moving to Macroom pretty soon. Is there any Fruit Machines or slot machine arcade in Macroom?
    Thanks

Sorry to disappoint you but i think no, unless 'Fitzis' get them in. There used to be a pool hall on temperance lane years ago but it closed down.

There used to be a pool hall on temperance lane years ago but it closed down.

oh the memories....
    been to granvilles for lunch once, i had a wrap. It was lovely. would love to go there for a meal some evening though. steaks good there then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

and is this a newly accuired taste for steak femmy. You used not to like them at all.
    Macroom is getting better all the time. I actually like to stroll around there now and see all the new business. but would someone ever tell some of the shopkeepers that its 2007 and they should forget about closing for lunch and what with the half day wednesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Femmy wrote:
    would love to go there for a meal some evening though. steaks good there then?

Had steak there two weeks ago..... Fab night out. Four out to dinner & drinks. A good evening out...

TJ911...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭brinepacer

Haven't been to granville's myself but i heard the food is expensive and disappointing, and the service isn't up to much either. Can't go wrong with the castle hotel, or if you don't mind the journey, the auld triangle. Moving to macroom myself for a few weeks on sunday. Good times.

brinepacer wrote:
    Haven't been to granville's myself but i heard the food is expensive and disappointing, and the service isn't up to much either. Can't go wrong with the castle hotel, or if you don't mind the journey, the auld triangle. Moving to macroom myself for a few weeks on sunday. Good times.

Let's hope when you visit Granvilles to eat you will be able to dispell your "Hearings"

TJ911...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭brinepacer

No relation to the owners of granvilles there tj? Sounds like you're doing your best to drum up business.

• Advertisement

brinepacer wrote:
    No relation to the owners of granvilles there tj? Sounds like you're doing your best to drum up business.

No relation whatsoever, & they don't need plugging, they are well busy ...

TJ911...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Moved to Macroom in August last year, we go out for a couple of pints about every 2 weeks and have noticed that there are hardly any other couples in their mid - late twenties around... has anyone else noticed this? We'd usually go to Goldens, Granvilles, Dineens and TP Cotters...

Neither of us work in Macroom and as a result we've hardly met any new people apart from a couple of nice elderly men who drink in Dineens...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Moved to Macroom in August last year, we go out for a couple of pints about every 2 weeks and have noticed that there are hardly any other couples in their mid - late twenties around... has anyone else noticed this? We'd usually go to Goldens, Granvilles, Dineens and TP Cotters...

Neither of us work in Macroom and as a result we've hardly met any new people apart from a couple of nice elderly men who drink in Dineens...

Join the local GAA/Soccer/Golf club ;)

One of those nice men is probably my uncle (the lads there are sound)
    You could join the leisure club in the Castle hotel, or go to the Lions Club Charity Auction around Christmas - everyone nearly goes to it and tis a great place to meet new faces in a laid back setting.

Alot of the mid 20's end up in the Lee Valley (formerally the Victoria hotel) usually Sat nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 firefighter75

Will be visiting Macroom from March 10th till the 19th. Any recommendations on pubs or restaurants? We're staying in the Castle Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Will be visiting Macroom from March 10th till the 19th. Any recommendations on pubs or restaurants? We're staying in the Castle Hotel.

Hi,

Are you planning this trip as part of a holiday? 9 days in Macroom is way more than you will need, I live there and as a holiday desination I would not recommend it at all.

There is no single dedicated restaurant in the town apart from ethnic food like Indian and Chinese. There are restaurants and food available in bars in the town and the Castle Hotel has its own restaurant. My favourite places to eat are the Castle and Granvilles.

Nightlife wise it is dead apart from Fri and Sat nights and even at that its not great at all. My favourite pubs would be Goldens, Dineens and Cotters. There is a niteclub but DO NOT go to it.

Macroom is half way between Cork and Killarney and a good base for exploring those areas I suppose.

If you need anymore info please let me know.

Tommy

I am a member of a pipe band. We are coming over with the Woodland String Band. We're coming over to play in the St. Pat's parade.

There are a few of us who are heading up to Dublin for a few days (12th - 15th). Supposed to be a ceili on the 15th at the Riverside Park Hotel...

So what is the deal with the night club? Not that I care about going...just wondering.

Maybe we'll meet up for a pint or 10!

So what is the deal with the night club? Not that I care about going...just wondering.

There are two night clubs, but I would give O'Riordas a wide berth. Penns is a good spot to go to. It is in the Lee Valley Hotel, around the corner from the Castle Hotel on the Main Street. Mostly busy on a Saturday night.

The Macroom website should give you some tips on what you can get up to...

There is a niteclub but DO NOT go to it.

I was just wondering why you said do not go to it.

Also, when you say you would give the one place a wide berth, what did you mean by that?

I've been to Macroom's website a few times. Looks like a very nice place.

It's my first time to Ireland. Cant wait!

• Advertisement

Yeah 9 days is alot of time in macroom alright.
    If I were you i would definately avoid o riadas, it is full of youngsters..i stopped going there when i was around 24..and even that was pushing it..
    If you want to go out, penns would be alot better, and as mentioned before, only around the corner from the castle.
    Goldens is a nice small pub, right across from castle. i usually go there or to TP's (cotters) when in macroom, thats just down the street from the castle too.
    Enjoy your stay!!

Advertisement