Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Aye caught that the other morning (sunday?) and didn't know WTF I was listening to....some good laughs for the hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Badabing wrote:
    AKA Eamon Lowe! now that is funny radio:)
    Indeed. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Badabing wrote:
    AKA Eamon Lowe! now that is funny radio:)
    Are he and Martin Maguire definitely one and the same?

Oh wait... "aimin' low". Ah I see what he did there... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

Dudess wrote:
    Are he and Martin Maguire definitely one and the same?

Oh wait... "aimin' low". Ah I see what he did there... :o
    haven't heard that show yet. maybe I'll check out the uncensored version tomorrow night.:p

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Anyone hear the show this morning? Jesus Christ could they be any more depressing.
    I thought that show was supposed to be a bit of light entertainment, when they keep harping on about abortion and road deaths (though both are serious issues, I just don't think that show is the right forum for them) I just switch off.

Does D'Arcy now consider himself to be Ireland's conscience or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

D'arcy has been to the forefront in promoting road safety in the last couple of years and has asked the hard questions of noel brett etc.. in the battle against road deaths in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Badabing wrote:
    D'arcy has been to the forefront in promoting road safety in the last couple of years

Pffft, he made those unintentionally hillarious radio ads, what was it, "don't be a fu(king eejit" or something like that, yeah, using the F word gets you down with the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Badabing wrote:
    D'arcy has been to the forefront in promoting road safety in the last couple of years and has asked the hard questions of noel brett etc..
    Doesn't make it interesting to listen to though.
    GDM wrote:
    Anyone hear the show this morning? Jesus Christ could they be any more depressing.
    I thought that show was supposed to be a bit of light entertainment, when they keep harping on about abortion and road deaths (though both are serious issues, I just don't think that show is the right forum for them) I just switch off.
    We have the radio on low in the background so whenever he starts all the depressing stuff it's easy to ignore him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Macca206

worst part of the day is when ray finishes and Ray Foley takes over. Such a contract.

"Just a bit of fun for your lunchtime"

Do you know when you meet someone who says they are mad or crazy. ? They aint.

Same for DJ's claiming to be "fun"

(I.E. hes just made the same joke about Micat the rugby player and made out the news reader was saying My Cat. Heard it at least 3 times last week. Bit of originality wouldnt go amiss)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Stylo

I must admit to not having read ALL the posts on this topic, but after reading thru the first 4 or 5 pages, it seems that most agree that Ray D'Arcy has lost his touch a little, but it raises an interesting quandry - If yer not really into a morning of music, who have you got to listen to ?

Ray D'Arcy - apparently not
    Gerry Ryan - definitely not
    Pat Kenny - rather not
    Brenda Power - hopefully not
    Orla Barry - rather stick hot needles in my eyes and chew glass

Who ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Macca206 wrote: »
    worst part of the day is when ray finishes and Ray Foley takes over. Such a contract.

"Just a bit of fun for your lunchtime"

Do you know when you meet someone who says they are mad or crazy. ? They aint.

Same for DJ's claiming to be "fun"

(I.E. hes just made the same joke about Micat the rugby player and made out the news reader was saying My Cat. Heard it at least 3 times last week. Bit of originality wouldnt go amiss)

not happy that your last Ray Foley bashing thread was closed?

for somebody who doesn't like Ray Foley ... you listen to a lot of ... eh ... well ... Ray Foley.

not happy that your last Ray Foley bashing thread was closed?

for somebody who doesn't like Ray Foley ... you listen to a lot of ... eh ... well ... Ray Foley.

Yes as my last post said.. Im unfortunate enough to have it on it work.

You were able to read my posts correct.. I HATE the Ray Foley show. Just in case you werent sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Ha! I hate it too. I am too, subjected to it in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Moro23

Have to say I totally agree as a matter of fact your choice of dj s to listen to in Ireland is rank. I work as a carpenter and have the radio on 8 hours a day and one of these fools are as bad as the other. I know you could say why don't I listen to something else but who would you switch over to. I wish I lived close to the border wher you could listen to the bbc and not have to listen to adds.

Yep, BBC's playlists can sometimes get boring and repetitive and their DJ's can on ocassion be as annoying as ours, but it's all good because there's not a barrage of sh*te adverts every 10 minutes and overall the output is way above the quality of any of our equivalent national stations.

As for D'Arcy? Sorry, it's just getting worse and worse...he's really lining himself up for taking over from Marian Finnucane or someone...

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭opa01_2000

worst part of the day is when ray finishes and Ray Foley takes over.

Have to agree and I have said it before !!! Problem is when something negative is posted about Mr Foley on Boards there is a general run of positive things then posted (from what i've heard all from the same ip address) so not only is the show absolutely rank but he appears unable to accept any criticism of his unoriginal jokes which weren't funny the first time you heard them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Where the hell did you hear that from?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Amz wrote: »
    Where the hell did you hear that from?
    There's been at least one thread on Ray Foley here which was locked after a raft of one post wonders rowed in behind his cause. Moreover, he took offence recently to something innocuous on Jim Carroll's blog and in came a flurry of supportive comments from the one IP address.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I remember his blog about boards, lol...
    I had never heard of him.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054948362

Possibly one of the best feedback threads ever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Reading that, I think I may have banned him from somewhere. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

This thread is about Ray Darcy not Ray Foley. Let's try and keep it on topic please folks.

Stylo wrote: »
    I must admit to not having read ALL the posts on this topic, but after reading thru the first 4 or 5 pages, it seems that most agree that Ray D'Arcy has lost his touch a little, but it raises an interesting quandry - If yer not really into a morning of music, who have you got to listen to ?

Ray D'Arcy - apparently not
    Gerry Ryan - definitely not
    Pat Kenny - rather not
    Brenda Power - hopefully not
    Orla Barry - rather stick hot needles in my eyes and chew glass

Who ?
    Well 98/Spin/104 offer good-quality listening fodder at that time... only messing.
    My answer to your question would be: none.
    Phantom on the rare occasions that I have the radio on at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 diego76

D'arcy was good at the beginning, was definitely better then Gerry Ryan or anything else but when he started deviating from the light hearted format and began the whole political crusade stuff the show went downhill rapidly.
    What really bugs me is the crap monologues at the beginning of each show, very self indulgent and very $hite.

I agree totally with lots of other posters, Tom Dunne is far better when standing in for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Was I the only one pleased to hear that D'Arcy wasn't there on Monday? Tom Dunne was a breath of fresh air. Unfortunately they were back to the same dreck again today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Dudess wrote: »
    Well 98/Spin/104 offer good-quality listening

So you're assuming that Stylo's from Dublin, then ?

Listening over the past few weeks, it's a tough call trying to figure out whether it's "the same show gone stale through familiarity" or whether it is actually going downhill.....

Still better than most options at that time, though, unless you want to listen to the local morning chat show......

This thread is about Ray Darcy not Ray Foley. Let's try and keep it on topic please folks.

For some reason threads on Foley keep getting closed. I can only speculate that its for similar reasons as previous in that they get hijacked by his team (sad i know) using multiple log ins but the same IP address

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    So you're assuming that Stylo's from Dublin, then ?
    Good point. What's on elsewhere at that time? I only know Cork where there's 96FM (the "lovely" Neil Prendeville - kind of a cross between Alan Partridge and Kent Brockman), RedFM (****e music as per usual), 103FM North (North Cork Today), 103FM West (West Cork today).
    Nope... nothing there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Dudess wrote: »
    Good point. What's on elsewhere at that time? I only know Cork where there's 96FM (the "lovely" Neil Prendeville - kind of a cross between Alan Partridge and Kent Brockman), RedFM (****e music as per usual), 103FM North (North Cork Today), 103FM West (West Cork today).
    Nope... nothing there either.

Oh God is Neil Prendeville still on 96fm?? Was he not supposed to retire months ago??? Actually, shouldn't really say anything about him seeing as I only ever listened to his self-indulgent commentary and his complete lack of regard for the opinions of others once. (Not by choice.)

Actually, pattern emerging. Are we to assume that spouting self-indulgent rubbish is characteristic of many DJs? (Most of whom are not DJs because pressing a button does not count!!) Ray D'Arcy does. (Again, very rarely listen but does that man ever stop talking about his child? I mean, I'm glad he's a proud parent but I really don't care what his child did yesterday!!) Gerry Ryan does. Although I still listen to him, because at least some of the guests are entertaining. Still, the majority of his show is made up of him going on about his family, or his turtles, as if he's the only man in Ireland to own turtles. Pat Kenny? Don't even get me started. That woman on Newstalk? Why does she sound like she is slurring her words? It's not attractive woman.

If they put Ray on at 12 I'd nearly tolerate him for the hour because there is nothing in the radio between 12 and 1 that is worth listening to.

Last time I listened to Ray was after a flight from New York to Shannon, we arrived in just in time to listen to the show. My Dad loves it (or at least did at that stage) and even though I was the driver (driving to Cork), I still let him listen to the show. (Jetlag I presume.) All I remember thinking is will this man ever shut up. At the time I think he was getting ready to run some marathon and the usual 'Oh Ray I love you' texters were fecking orgasming at the thought of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Was only going on about this the other week.

Ray D'Arcy is a total creep. He reminds me of the character that Patrick Swayze plays in Donnie Darko - I would be very suspicious of him. The whole pretense of being everyone's friend, and presenting homespun talent shows - he makes my skin crawl when I hear him on the radio.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement